First Ten Dhs Should All Be True Dhs

45 replies to this topic

#1 Poisoner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 440 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:25 PM

This annoying rule hurts light mechs with small engine caps. If they heat scale was not so messed up where we could still have true DHS (closed beta we miss you) this would not even be an issue, but it is. Clan lights, the trollmando, and the Locust are hurt the most from this.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 11 August 2015 - 03:37 PM

As one person said and I quote "this idea has been beaten to death."

Yeah sure it's a ideal thing but will it happen?

Probably not... ;(

#3 Darian DelFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:15 PM

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression they were. Your first 10 engine heatsinks are double if you have double equipped. Any other additional heatsinks above the 10 are factored at 1.4?

Thought this was the case back when we first went to double heat sinks

#4 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:32 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 11 August 2015 - 04:15 PM, said:

Correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression they were. Your first 10 engine heatsinks are double if you have double equipped. Any other additional heatsinks above the 10 are factored at 1.4?

Thought this was the case back when we first went to double heat sinks

Partially; if you have a 250 engine this is true. If you have a sub-250, all heatsinks that come with the engine are TrueDubs, but the mandatory first 10 are not all TrueDubs, as all externally (or engine mounted) are still PoorDubs.

As such, a Myth Lynx, LOLcust, Urbie or Cute Fox lose a full TrueDub's worth of dissipation compared to a Firestarter.

Fixing it would require more than just a .XML edit, as this is how heatsinks are currently implemented:
-<Module faction="Clan,InnerSphere" CType="CHeatSinkStats" name="HeatSink_MkI" id="3000">
<ModuleStats health="10" tons="1" slots="1"/>
<Loc iconTag="StoreIcons\HeatSink_MkI.dds" descTag="@HeatSink_MkI_desc" nameTag="@HeatSink_MkI"/>
<HeatSinkStats heatbase="-1.0" engineCooling="0.1" cooling="0.1"/>

-<EffectList>
<Effect name="SteamEffect" asset="mech_effects.heatsinks.steam_a"/>
</EffectList>
<Audio OnDestroyedDialogue="BB_Mech_HeatSink_Destroyed"/>
</Module>

-<Module faction="InnerSphere" CType="CHeatSinkStats" name="DoubleHeatSink_MkI" id="3001">
<ModuleStats health="10" tons="1" slots="3"/>
<Loc iconTag="StoreIcons\DoubleHeatSink_MkI.dds" descTag="@DoubleHeatSink_MkI_desc" nameTag="@DoubleHeatSink_MkI"/>
<HeatSinkStats heatbase="-1.4" engineCooling="0.2" cooling="0.14"/>

You'd need an additional parameter, something like

If (heatsinkNum>=10)
    heatsinkCooling x=0.2

And that causes another issue; does the current game differentiate from individual heatsinks? Is it even possible (currently) to make separate external heatsinks PoorDubs and TrueDubs respectively? Because you'd need to set whichever heatsinks were added first to be TrueDubs, then all following PoorDubs, that pseudo code does not do that.

Because heatsink x would need to individually have a greater cooling.

In the mean time, a heat dissipation quirk of +0.6x fixes the issue, where x is the missing number of TrueDubs. It normalizes all heatsinks to 10 TrueDubs.

#5 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 11 August 2015 - 04:41 PM

Please make the first 10 DHS true DHS.

It wont buff the TBR SCR DWF or HBR

#6 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 August 2015 - 05:59 PM

I think all engine heat sinks should be single heat sinks. That'd reduce sustained DPS and increase TTK a bit.

#7 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:13 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 13 August 2015 - 05:59 PM, said:

I think all engine heat sinks should be single heat sinks. That'd reduce sustained DPS and increase TTK a bit.

You're going to bring down the masses of QQ from that type of suggestion.

I hope you bring an umbrella.

Edit: I'm just going to say this..

I don't believe you understand what you're getting into when you just said that.

Edited by Deathlike, 13 August 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#8 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 13 August 2015 - 06:13 PM, said:

You're going to bring down the masses of QQ from that type of suggestion.

I hope you bring an umbrella.

Edit: I'm just going to say this..

I don't believe you understand what you're getting into when you just said that.

No worries, I deal with elementary school kids on a daily basis.

#9 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:19 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 13 August 2015 - 06:17 PM, said:

No worries, I deal with elementary school kids on a daily basis.

These are slightly overgrown kids that will actually counter your idea to the death.

#10 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:25 PM

Yeah, cuz that would REAAAAAALLY help light mechs and wouldn't at all buff mechs with an overabundance of pod space....

We'd end up with unuseable lights and hilariously strong Clan mechs (since they have 2 slot doubles). I could go on and on about how this is an absolutely terrible idea but I think my point is already made.

#11 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:35 PM

View PostFate 6, on 13 August 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Yeah, cuz that would REAAAAAALLY help light mechs and wouldn't at all buff mechs with an overabundance of pod space....

We'd end up with unuseable lights and hilariously strong Clan mechs (since they have 2 slot doubles). I could go on and on about how this is an absolutely terrible idea but I think my point is already made.

Hey, remember how lights did just fine in closed beta when we didn't have DHS? Yeah we'll run hotter and we'll have to do a bit more hit and run to cool down but we've got the speed for it. It will however hurt the cheeto a bit more though since it can't really mount as many heat sinks as say a jenner or firestarter.

As for IS vs Clan tech, Clan tech already runs hot, imagine how hot it'll run with 25-40% less cooling. Sure they can fit more DHS but that still means fewer big energy weapons. Who knows, people might be forced to run mixed load outs, or even range staggered loadouts. What a tragedy that'd be.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:46 PM

That would kill basically energy and many missile loadouts pretty quickly, especially for lower-tonnage mechs who can't boat external heatsinks.

Also, Gauss Rifles. Gauss Rifles everywhere.

#13 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:51 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 August 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

That would kill basically energy and many missile loadouts pretty quickly, especially for lower-tonnage mechs who can't boat external heatsinks.

I think it'll bring out the meme "it's happened before... and it'll happen again".

#14 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:55 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 13 August 2015 - 06:51 PM, said:

I think it'll bring out the meme "it's happened before... and it'll happen again".

#15 Rhaythe

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 06:56 PM

My Blackjack 1X nods in silent, eager agreement.

#16 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:00 PM

View PostFupDup, on 13 August 2015 - 06:46 PM, said:

The very lightest mechs and slower mediums are already forced to run 2 or 3 1.4 heat DHS externally instead of getting true dubs. Relatively speaking they'd be less affected.

People used energy weapons and SRMs before we had DHS. Dual guass builds would increase in power of course but it'd be a simple tweak to adjust their power level by say allowing only 1 to charge at a time or by giving them even longer cool downs and faster damage falloff. Now, would it affect a lot of the 8 MPL builds and 6LL builds? Sure. You might see ballistic back ups or more ballistic heavy builds become meta instead.

#17 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 13 August 2015 - 07:00 PM, said:

The very lightest mechs and slower mediums are already forced to run 2 or 3 1.4 heat DHS externally instead of getting true dubs. Relatively speaking they'd be less affected.

...But they also have less tonnage to boat external heatsinks, so not really.

People used energy weapons and SRMs before we had DHS. Dual guass builds would increase in power of course but it'd be a simple tweak to adjust their power level by say allowing only 1 to charge at a time or by giving them even longer cool downs and faster damage falloff. Now, would it affect a lot of the 8 MPL builds and 6LL builds? Sure. You might see ballistic back ups or more ballistic heavy builds become meta instead.

Ballistic-boating Daishis already are able to give laser vomit a run for their money, even with engine dubs...

#18 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:06 PM

Lights wouldn't suffer from fake dubs too much if they didn't try to compete with other classes on firepower. The heavy CD quirks they receive does not help the matter either. All thanks to PGI's non-existent role-warfare. -_-

Reminded me of my SHS Stalker back in the day. :) I miss good SRM range action.

Edited by El Bandito, 13 August 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#19 Fate 6

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,466 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:24 PM

View PostNarcissistic Martyr, on 13 August 2015 - 06:35 PM, said:

Hey, remember how lights did just fine in closed beta when we didn't have DHS? Yeah we'll run hotter and we'll have to do a bit more hit and run to cool down but we've got the speed for it. It will however hurt the cheeto a bit more though since it can't really mount as many heat sinks as say a jenner or firestarter.

As for IS vs Clan tech, Clan tech already runs hot, imagine how hot it'll run with 25-40% less cooling. Sure they can fit more DHS but that still means fewer big energy weapons. Who knows, people might be forced to run mixed load outs, or even range staggered loadouts. What a tragedy that'd be.

Hey, remember how in closed beta NOBODY HAD DHS?!

In comparison to the Firestarter and Jenner the Cheetah would get a buff with your proposition since it has an XL240 with an external 1.4sink (9 SHS) whereas the FS9/Jenner get 10SHS.

Also, considering clans can mount many more external heat sinks it would just make them comparatively even better since the difference in heat dissipation would be that much larger. The engine heatsinks on a Timber or EBJ or Hellbringer make up much less of their total heat dissipation than the engine heatsinks on any IS heavy.

Edited by Fate 6, 13 August 2015 - 07:25 PM.

#20 xXBagheeraXx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 07:37 PM

Or they could...you know...revamp the heat system by lowering the heat capacity, making heat capacity not map-dependent, but depending on the total number and type of heatsinks, then giving us REAL double heatinks.....just saying....

NOt like we want to fix the heat system or get rid of the need for ghost heat or anything...

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users