Displaying Pilot Skill Rating (Psr)

767 replies to this topic

Poll: Displaying PSR (5463 member(s) have cast votes)

What option do you like the best when displaying PSR Tiers?

1. Full disclosure - All players must display their Tier. (1516 votes [27.78%])

Percentage of vote: 27.78%

2. Opt-in - Players can choose to publicly display their Tier. (3350 votes [61.38%])

Percentage of vote: 61.38%

3. Gun Shy - I don't feel my Tier should be displayed publicly, only visible to me. (592 votes [10.85%])

Percentage of vote: 10.85%

Vote

#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 19 August 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hi Folks,

Now that Pilot Skill Rating (PSR) is in full swing and ranking on a personal level has begun, we would like to know what your thoughts are on publicly displaying your personal skill tier.

Please note:
- We will not be disclosing the match score > psr calculations.
- We will not be disclosing your actual PSR value.
- We will only be showing (depending on the result of this poll), the Tier (1-5) you reside in.

This poll will close in 2 weeks (Sept 2nd).

#2 Imperius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:03 PM

Full disclosure! No more hiding and may humble some peoples talk, maybe even mine ;)

#3 YUyahoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

I'd vote 2 and 3 but not 1 if I could...I'd like to see the rating and I'd like the option to make it public but I don't want to to be public without any choice :D

Edited by YUyahoo, 19 August 2015 - 12:06 PM.

#4 Dace

• Pip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 15 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Yeah. It'd be nice if you could see your own rating and then toggle in/out if you want to display it to other people publicly. I think that would be the best all round option. But that is, of course, just my opinion, heh. :)

#5 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:09 PM

Something to think about for those that voted opt-in: If it's opt-in, nobody will display it unless it's tier 1 or 2...in which case players will realize that you're probably mid-low tier.

So, you're not really "hiding" your tier level anyway. B)

Edited by Death Proof, 19 August 2015 - 08:23 PM.

#6 Viges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

Opt-in obviously.

#7 MalodorousMonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 283 posts
  • Location, location, location

Glad the poll was put up quick. I definitely would like to see other people's tier levels, but I think it would be fair to give people the option to opt out. I would like it if new accounts display the tier level by default. You can go and change that setting, but nobody will go out of their way to dig through the settings and make their tier level public unless they are tier 1/2

Edited by MalodorousMonkey, 19 August 2015 - 12:13 PM.

#8 Imperius

• The God
  • The God
  • 5,747 posts
  • LocationOn Reddit and Twitter

View PostDeath Proof, on 19 August 2015 - 12:09 PM, said:

Something to think about for those that voted opt-in: If it's opt-in, nobody will display it unless it's tier 4 or 5...in which case players will realize that you're probably mid-low tier.

You realize Tier 1 is the best right?

#9 Kin3ticX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

I think public tiers are a bad idea. Might as well put it in peoples badges at that point. It will be a giant epeen waving contest in the forums. I wouldn't even poll it. Mob rule is bad rule. Don't like the idea of marginalizing the opinion of low tier players even if they are often off target like anyone else.

Best to just keep it invisible and keep people guessing like before with Elo.

so I vote 4th option: keep invisible like before

Edited by Kin3ticX, 19 August 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#10 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:11 PM

View PostImperius, on 19 August 2015 - 12:10 PM, said:

You realize Tier 1 is the best right?

Ok yeah my bad...point still stands though.

#11 Firecrafter

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 28 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationIndiana, United States

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

I would say let those who want to/care to view it, see it. I think that would make most people happy.

#12 Spr1ggan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:12 PM

I want it to be like BFstats. Full disclosure so everyone can see everyone else's stats. Mechs, weapon accuracy. Everything.

Edited by Spr1ggan, 19 August 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#13 Kshat

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

I can't see how display of a "ranking" in a PUG-queue improves anyones gaming experience.
There will be two kind of situations: people shoving their e-**** in everyones face and other people trying to find gentle words to express "nah, I'm not playing with you, you're low!"

If you want to brag about something, here to go: http://innerspherewars.eu/

#14 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:14 PM

Something to think about for those that voted opt-in: If it's opt-in, nobody will display it unless it's tier 4 or 5...in which case players will realize that you're probably mid-low tier.

Well, that is still for them to decide in that case. I personally don't care what others assume my tier is or should be anyway.

#15 Amro One

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 136 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

We don't need more UI on our hud, and it's not beneficial to show it pre game as it results in 12 man pug VS 12 man group.

Just make it show at the end of the game, please.

Edited by Jazriel, 19 August 2015 - 12:15 PM.

#16 Viges

• Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts

There are 5 Skill Tiers in which a pilot can be ranked: Tier 1 being comprised of the best-rated players in the game, and Tier 5 being comprised of pilots who are in dire need of additional training.

And you are wrong. There are a lot of people that are not tryhards and ok to be 4-5 tier, and also people that don't think that they should show off their tier 1. So no, you won't be able to 'realize' what tier player is if it's hidden. And you can take a guess about it even now anyway.

#17 Tannhauser Gate

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 1,302 posts
  • LocationAttack ship off the Shoulder of Orion

Normally I would -always- support players being allowed to opt in or out of something but in this case full discloser would be cool way to recognize skilled players and stratify the player base giving people an incentive to fight harder and increase their skills.

Ive played in other games where player rank was visible and it created a social dynamic of respect among player.

#18 KnightmareX13

• PipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 36 posts

Personally I like the way stats are shown now but opt in wouldn't be too bad, still probably have people who like to gloat about how good they are and put down anyone they feel is inferior but at least there would be some control over it

#19 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:16 PM

Instead of an opt-in, I would prefer an opt-out. When it's off by default, only the people who care or want to brag will activate it. When you have an opt-out people who don't care will leave it on.

I know it sounds nit-picky but it would make a big difference in number of people who leave it active while still giving people who feel strongly about it an option to opt-out.

Also, when talking about displaying tier do you mean in-game or on your profile page? My vote would go differently depending on where its displayed.

Edited by Jman5, 19 August 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#20 cephyn

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 12:17 PM

Opt-in is basically the same as Must Show, since anyone hiding it will be accused of being T5, and their opinions discounted just as if they actually were T5 by those who were not.

I prefer hiding it for all, just letting each person privately know where they stand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users