Old Vs New Thermal Vision

37 replies to this topic

Poll: Old vs new thermal vision (147 member(s) have cast votes)

what thermal vision would you like?

1. new black and white (13 votes [8.84%])

Percentage of vote: 8.84%

2. old colored=super range (48 votes [32.65%])

Percentage of vote: 32.65%

3. old colored with shorter range (74 votes [50.34%])

Percentage of vote: 50.34%

4. longer range with black and white (12 votes [8.16%])

Percentage of vote: 8.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Ecrof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 546 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:18 PM

Even if they shorten the range I would still like the old thermal vision better. I can hardly stand to use the new thermal vision. Comment or just vote old or new thermal vision. please :)

#2 topgun505

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,625 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:39 PM

I really don't care about the color. I just want more flippin contrast. What good is a vision mode if you can see the targets in darkness but everything else is so dark you can't see where you're walking? Thermal right now is next to worthless.

#3 Vandomar

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:44 PM

I'll admit I prefer the old thermal, if only because it reminds me of Predator. I vote to change it back but to give it range limitations like it has now.

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:46 PM

targeting computer and command console should give enhanced range =3

#5 m

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 05:27 PM

I made a post like this some time ago and was ignored. It was around the time when modules were starting to be implemented. Had a vote and everything and nothing. So to the OP I say Good Luck.

The only difference with my vote was to allow the Option for any vision we so choose in the Options (night and heat as they were both different and better, for myself anyway...range was much more accurate, definitive, and superior..at least for me)

I've made plenty of good topics over the years and I get nowhere very very fast. Only difference these days is that my Topics are no longer jettisoned. Thank goodness that has changed.

Edited by m, 24 August 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#6 Thunder Child

• The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 1,460 posts
  • LocationOn the other side of the rock now.

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:34 PM

I don't like the Old one, because the contrast between Mechs and EVERYTHING ELSE was too great. I don't like the new one, because it is just plain boring.
What I would LIKE to see, is one that actually works like a modern thermal camera (I use one at work, so I do have SOME idea of what I am talking about). So, for example, a Mech running cold would be barely visible against anything that is at a similar ambient. A mech running hot would stand out like crazy. But, a Hot mech would be able to hide in or against a Hot Source (like the cooling towers on River City).
Basically, I am all for using the Rainbow Color Gradient, provided we get a lot of Thermal "Noise" off of the ambient environment. Hell, we could even have a decent range on it, provided the background and terrain isn't just "generic grey".

#7 Hawk819

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,606 posts
  • Location666 Werewolf Lane. Transylvania, Romania Ph#: Transylvania 6-5000

Posted 24 August 2015 - 08:25 PM

I('d like to see the Clans use Enhanced Imaging, or something close to it. As for the IS, I'd love to see better thermals for both night and heat with better means to see where the hell I'm going.

#8 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:54 AM

If I was going to suggest a change to make thermal interesting it would be:

If you get over X% heat the heat generated by your mech obscures the thermal image making it useless in fights.

You could have it really low and knock out some sniping.

#9 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:28 AM

The very worst thing about thermal is the range.

Pretty glowy rainbows are the last thing on my mind.

It's ridiculous how the view just completely cuts off, why? Because people would snipe at those crossing the bridge on river city during beta, big woo.

Especially with the larger map sizes now the cut of ranges are just ridiculous.

#10 Kjudoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:38 AM

Old thermal.
1000m
with modules to extend.
and consumables to mess it up.

#11 Kjudoon

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 7,636 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

View PostThunder Child, on 24 August 2015 - 07:34 PM, said:

I don't like the Old one, because the contrast between Mechs and EVERYTHING ELSE was too great. I don't like the new one, because it is just plain boring.
What I would LIKE to see, is one that actually works like a modern thermal camera (I use one at work, so I do have SOME idea of what I am talking about). So, for example, a Mech running cold would be barely visible against anything that is at a similar ambient. A mech running hot would stand out like crazy. But, a Hot mech would be able to hide in or against a Hot Source (like the cooling towers on River City).
Basically, I am all for using the Rainbow Color Gradient, provided we get a lot of Thermal "Noise" off of the ambient environment. Hell, we could even have a decent range on it, provided the background and terrain isn't just "generic grey".

Every map should have it's ambient color represented of course. That means maps like Terra Therma and Tourmaline should be nearly the top end of the color spectrum, while Alpine and Frozen City at the bottom. HPG should have extreme variances for having no atmosphere. Stuff in sun, hot, in shade, ice cold.

Could really have fun and have energy weapons heat the air leaving blinding spots for seconds after firing as the air cooled and was spread out. Mechs like the Hellslinger would be nearly invisible in thermal because of their ambient heat quirk.

#12 BlueVisionWarrior Online

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 107 posts
  • Locationmaking clicking noises behind you

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:12 AM

Old thermal with the new range restriction we got with black and white should be just fine. GIVE ME THIS!

#13 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 25 August 2015 - 07:18 AM

I'm in thermal 90% of the time as it is. Might as well make it a little more colorful.

Hey, the only reason we DO use it is because of the annoying haze and blending of colors! Oh! Wait! Here's an idea... make 'mechs easier to see in normal vision in the game! Yeah!

I don't care if they stand out like a sore thumb. I'm sick of using vision modes. This is a competitive game. You should be able to clearly spot your competition and identify them visually.

#14 BARBAR0SSA

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:43 AM

Would actually prefer, more contrast and longer range for night maps over coloured, but coloured is at least useful unlike the current.

Or if you want to do thermal colour with long range but stuff like a laser beam hitting your cockpit blinds your thermal that'd be neat.

Other possibilities. LIGHT mechs get Coloured with longer range for scouting and hunting...and start making maps have a much darker cycle in them along with typical daylight.

Edited by shad0w4life, 25 August 2015 - 10:46 AM.

#15 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

Grey Thermal = 700m
Colour Thermal = 200m

Both available on the button toggle.

#16 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 26 August 2015 - 01:23 PM

Im one of the many (or few) that remembered the old colored thermal vision. Why did they remove it? Its all about functionality isnt it? Does it matter whether its colored or black/white?

To me the colored thermal vision was way more aesthetically pleasing.

Bring it back ffs.

#17 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostMister Blastman, on 25 August 2015 - 07:18 AM, said:

This is a competitive game. You should be able to clearly spot your competition and identify them visually.

Part of the skill of some games is identifying targets. In ARMA, DayZ, and even in MWO I have gotten very good at spotting things despite haze, distance, terrain, and camouflage. Not that long ago I was playing DayZ with my wife looking directly over my shoulder. I was moving along and spotted another player. Basically he was about this tall | off in the distance moving through trees, shrubs, houses. She was like, "How did you even see him? I still have problems following him." as I was moving in on him.

Yes the Doritos give mechs away but that is why ECM is rather useful and forces you to again rely on the Mark I Eyeball for spotting

Thermal needs to stay as is. In fact it has a basis in the most common thermal vision enhancement gear for law enforcement and scopes for hunting all look like this:
Posted Image

#18 Mister Blastman

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

Thermal is nice and all but it gets old being in 'ole black and white mode all the fricken' time because we have no choice but to use it or get plowed.

#19 Spare Parts Bin

• Contaminator
  • Contaminator
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationSearching alternate universes via temporal wormhole generator.

Posted 31 August 2015 - 05:34 PM

I would prefer Predator vision.

#20 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:49 PM

I personally would rather they removed all vision modes from the game. What's the point of painting your mech camouflage or pretty colours if nobody can see it? What's the point of using concealment if thermal can spot you through it? What's the point of making maps look good if everybody uses thermal anyways?

Either delete all the textures from every object in the game (it will improve performance for everybody), or remove vision modes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users