BattleMechs Metagame Loadout

22 replies to this topic

#1 BoomStanK

Rookie

• Shredder
  • 7 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:32 AM

Greetings Mechwarriors!

I'll get right into it. Long time ago I spent like two seconds trying out MRMs and didn't like it. Probably because im garbage trying to lead my target with them. But now i want to give them another try and see if I can git gud with MRMs.

My question is, what are the best mechs for MRM focused builds?

#2 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:44 AM

Quickdraw hero mech is pretty popular.

#3 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:46 AM

IV4 the Quickdraw hero is the outstanding mrm carrier. Other good mechs for that are mediums with JJs that are heavily quirked toward missiles: Wolverine, Trebuchet, and Vindicators (the 1X in particular with a single MRM launcher).
In the heavies class, I’d say Catapults and Archers (2R and Tempest in particular).
Assults I like the Awesome 8R with MRM100 (30+30+40), but there are plenty of assults that have good mixed builds (ie, mrm combined with other weapons).

#4 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 05:07 PM

Other 'Mechs for MRMpuke:

The Dervish is also quite good with a dual MRM30 setup, even though it lacks any significant quirkage.

Griffin 2N is notable for ECM, otherwise works like any of the other dual MRM30 55-ton poptarts.

Roughneck 1B can run dual 40s in RT and LT; 1B, 1A, 1C, and Powerhouse can all run dual 30s in the LT with room left over for backup weapons elsewhere. They don't have great missile quirks, but they have amazing durability.

Zeus Skokomish can also run MRM80, but with MASC. You can do 2x40 instead of 2x30+20 and gain a few more tons; I think the advantages of having more tubes up on the shoulder mounts make that better despite the lost tonnage, but YMMV. MRM100 is possible too, but you have to give up MASC or run uncomfortably hot. I like my Skokomish.

Cyclops 10-Q can run MRM100 (40+2x30 or 2x30+2x20) or MRM120 (4x30) at the extreme end. Mauler 1R and Knockout can likewise run MRM100 or MRM120. The Cyclops is by far the better because of hitboxes (and the Mauler's ultra-high missile hardpoints actually become a liability up close, because even some heavies can get in under its launchers whereas the Cyclops doesn't have that issue).

Marauder II 4HP can comfortably run MRM120, as can Nightstar Wolf Phoenix, and Annihilator Mean Baby. All three of these can also push all the way up to MRM140 (2x30+2x40), though that's probably a little excessive as it runs too hot and requires even more tonnage waste for a STD engine. The Mean Baby is probably the best of the biggest here because, at the end of the day, it's an Annihilator, and the other two are not (it also has a missile heat quirk), so it can afford to just shamble right up to someone and sandblast their face off.

Note that none of the assaults capable of spamming MRMs should be used for midrange trading. They have amazing output up close, but scatter far too much beyond ~300m to be effective against energy or ballisitc builds. Treat assault MRM boats as brawlers with a bit of reach, rather than traders that can brawl.

#5 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 October 2019 - 07:35 PM

If you have the Marauder 9M(S), try that with MRM 60, 5 MLs and an ECM. It's pretty good. Another decent one is the Hatamoto 28TR. You can have two MRM 40s, 4 MLs and an ECM. You can twist and shield well with it. But apart of the Marauder 9M(S), I wouldn't recommend the Hatamoto as first MRM mech to try out. The Cyclops is decent and is available for C-bills. So, start with that.

MRMs are decent from 300-400m. Boosting their range to 600m and firing at targets that far away isn't going to work. You need to treat them as SRMs but with longer aim time 'cause they launch so many missiles that you can't shoot and immediately twist away.

#6 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 08:19 PM

MRMs also work well as a DPS missile, since the volume of fire even a medium can fart out is impressive, and the sheer number of exploding things on the target's end makes it hard for them to see, let alone return fire. They also run cool for the damage output, and the ghost heat penalties are fairly light (2x40 can be fired with little more caution than 2x30 or 3x20, despite the HSL on 40s technically being 1).

Less effective than dakka for the same tonnage, though, since it's utterly impossible to focus down a single component even if your aim is god-tier, and ranges beyond 400m are severely problematic against anything not standing perfectly still.

It feels a lot less dirty to melt face with MRM120 than it does to aimbotnuke someone with ATM48, though.

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 09:24 PM

Huginn ftw!

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:21 PM

get the ecm griffon and put 2 mrm40s on it. i like it much better than the dual 30 quickdraw.

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 13 October 2019 - 10:39 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 October 2019 - 10:21 PM, said:

get the ecm griffon and put 2 mrm40s on it. i like it much better than the dual 30 quickdraw.

But the tasty Missile Cooldown and Armour quirks....

#10 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:12 AM

Hell, I must be going senile. I almost forgot the greatest MRMinator of them all!

#11 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 14 October 2019 - 12:48 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 13 October 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

IV4 the Quickdraw hero is the outstanding mrm carrier. Other good mechs for that are mediums with JJs that are heavily quirked toward missiles: Wolverine, Trebuchet, and Vindicators (the 1X in particular with a single MRM launcher).

^ This.

Catapults are a bit too squishy for QP. Archer is a better bet.

Assaults generally get NASCARed in QP. (FP is another matter.)

Edited by Appogee, 14 October 2019 - 12:48 AM.

#12 O L L O

• PipPipPip
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • Korpral Første Klasse
  • 89 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 01:00 AM

Anyone run the Thanatos? I've been eyeing it since I saw Lurm God doing his thing in it. But then again, he is Lurm God.

#13 RRAMIREZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 183 posts
  • LocationIn the Blob

Posted 14 October 2019 - 02:02 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 13 October 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

If you have the Marauder 9M(S), try that with MRM 60, 5 MLs and an ECM. It's pretty good.

I really like this build and performs really well for my play style.

#14 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 14 October 2019 - 09:22 AM

View PostBoomStanK, on 13 October 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

My question is, what are the best mechs for MRM focused builds?

Hero Quickdraw, no contest.

#15 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 04:19 PM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 13 October 2019 - 10:39 PM, said:

But the tasty Missile Cooldown and Armour quirks....

id rather have my ecm and 20 extra tubes. you can also give up the tubes for stealth armor.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 October 2019 - 04:28 PM.

#16 timbrwolf1121

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 04:45 PM

I've got an MRM 40 Stealth Raven, and an MRM40 stealth Assassin. They are both an absolute menace

#17 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 15 August 2022 - 06:34 PM

Congrats. But what search engine is encouraging 2 1/2 year old threads to respond to?

#18 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 15 August 2022 - 07:40 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 15 August 2022 - 06:34 PM, said:

Congrats. But what search engine is encouraging 2 1/2 year old threads to respond to?

The PGI's forum rules explicitly require the forum users to do so.

#19 Relishcakes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 337 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 10:16 AM

MRM's are a brawling weapon, best at crit seeking when the target has no armor however they are solid for damage up close regardless.

I use my corsair w/ MRM80 and 5MPL for such a task. Of course results WILL vary because brawling is tough these days.

just saw this is an ancient thread....my bad for the necro.

Edited by Relishcakes, 16 August 2022 - 10:17 AM.

#20 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:08 PM

idk about that. if im using pure mrm boats i find i get to a point where the armor is gone but the enemy doesnt die and ive seen that happen with as many as 120 tubes. i like to include at least a couple pulse lasers or machine guns as a scalpel for the precision work of finishing off a sandblasted target.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users