• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 25 August 2015 - 01:27 PM

Hi all.

Just a quicky for you.

In the light of prioritizing certain aspects of this game;

- Is it generally best to take a chassis with a jumpjet, if there are no negative quirks and takes 1 more internal tonnage? Is that trade off always worth it? (Except perhaps on the direwolf lol)

- Targeting Computer MK I, is it always worth it taking over an extra heatsink, if both can fit? Or is a DHS always the first priority on a build that gets hot really quick? Either way one more DHS wont matter that much in those cases but still..

And talking about targeting computers, i assume I is the most bang for buck, but im not sure on the extra crit chance. Some old PGI post said the MK I gives some 7% ish, but when i look in mechlab it gives me 3 entries, 1 2 and 3 with both different crit chances.

How does that work?

Thanks!

Edited by MTs Cavia Porcellus, 25 August 2015 - 01:28 PM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 25 August 2015 - 02:16 PM

View PostMTs Cavia Porcellus, on 25 August 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

Hi all.

Just a quicky for you.

In the light of prioritizing certain aspects of this game;

- Is it generally best to take a chassis with a jumpjet, if there are no negative quirks and takes 1 more internal tonnage? Is that trade off always worth it? (Except perhaps on the direwolf lol)

- Targeting Computer MK I, is it always worth it taking over an extra heatsink, if both can fit? Or is a DHS always the first priority on a build that gets hot really quick? Either way one more DHS wont matter that much in those cases but still..

And talking about targeting computers, i assume I is the most bang for buck, but im not sure on the extra crit chance. Some old PGI post said the MK I gives some 7% ish, but when i look in mechlab it gives me 3 entries, 1 2 and 3 with both different crit chances.

How does that work?

Thanks!

in this game there are no absolutes,

some players (myself included) conciser jumpjets to be a very high priority, I will rarely take less than 3 if the Mech can fit them.

targeting computer depends on what equipment you are taking and what role you are after filling, for example if you are only taking missiles, LBX Auto Cannons and Machine guns then the TC1 is pretty much pointless, however if you are a long range build with UACs and ER Lasers the TC1 is probably worth it, if you are a brawling build then the heatsink would probably be better

the larger the TC the more of a boost you get for range, crit chance, and if I remember correctly, target info time

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 25 August 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#3 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 25 August 2015 - 03:34 PM

TC? For ranged builds. Streak or LRM, you prolly want active probe instead. Short-range direct-fire, neither is particularly valuable.

JJ depend on your mech's role and your style. Don't go nuts, at any rate.

Gonna have to figure out your own preferences for yourself. Most OP mech and build? The one you're most comfortable with.

#4 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

JJ to get unstuck or get through bad terrain is fine at 1. JJ to do aerial dancing to confuse the enemy and spread damage you probably want a lot more.

#5 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

Most "competitive" builds only mount 1 JJ. Usually to abuse the jump animation to spread damage and make shots miss. Outside of that it's a preference thing. I try to mount at least half the complement on JJ's unless play testing tells me otherwise.
I run max JJ's on my Panther's to poptart, likewise Vindicators. Other mechs I just take the one for mobility and reasons mentioned previously.

As for the Targetting Computer, I only ever take TC1 and only for laser builds that can spare the heat. Typically won't include one with a heat efficiency lower than 1.25 at that point more heatsinks give greater returns.

#6 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:04 PM

View PostLunatech, on 25 August 2015 - 05:00 PM, said:

Most "competitive" builds only mount 1 JJ. Usually to abuse the jump animation to spread damage and make shots miss. Outside of that it's a preference thing. I try to mount at least half the complement on JJ's unless play testing tells me otherwise.
I run max JJ's on my Panther's to poptart, likewise Vindicators. Other mechs I just take the one for mobility and reasons mentioned previously.

As for the Targetting Computer, I only ever take TC1 and only for laser builds that can spare the heat. Typically won't include one with a heat efficiency lower than 1.25 at that point more heatsinks give greater returns.

Max JJs on Griffins also makes them great poptarts with dual PPCs.

#7 xMintaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:12 PM

View PostElizander, on 25 August 2015 - 05:04 PM, said:

Max JJs on Griffins also makes them great poptarts with dual PPCs.

Haven't run a Griffin properly since the quirkening. The -2N is gathering dust with one game played. Might take them out for a run if I can tear myself away from the Jenner/Locust combo that dominates my play time.

I do run max JJ's on the WVR-7K for some jump brawling. Nothing quite like jumping over an enemy direwhale to alpha them in the back.

Sadly the mediums seem to have more thrust from JJ's than lights now, which just seems odd.

#8 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 25 August 2015 - 05:48 PM

View PostMTs Cavia Porcellus, on 25 August 2015 - 01:27 PM, said:

How does that work?

Thanks!

Jump jets help but mainly rely on play style. Best medium currently is the Stromcrow, it has no JJ.

TC1 or heatsink? Depends on the build. You want your heat efficiency between 1.2 and 1.4.
Below 1.2 you will overheat a lot, unless you are running cool weapons. 1.4 means you have perhaps too much cooling and not enough guns.

TC1 is usually a good bet for builds with lots of lasers, gauss, LRM/SSRM(faster locks)

TC's have diminishing returns the bigger they get.

I only put TC2+ on a Warhawk which has rather unique building restrictions(it has lots of free tonnage but limited space and hardpoints) so on a laser build ill use a TC5 sometimes in my 5ERLL build for the extra range/zoom

#9 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 25 August 2015 - 10:17 PM

If an IS variant is able to use JJs, I will take at least one. Like someone mentioned, they can help with some terrain. You can get up steep hills or annoying steps easier (alpine, canyon, bog). They are also useful if you get nudged (or carelessly fall, like I do a lot) off a platform with a ramp. In HPG and especially Mining, you might have to take the long way to get back up if you can't jump.

Clan mechs are a different issue for me (caveat: I don't play them as much as I do IS), because the JJs are fixed to particular omipods . If you're going for a specific build and need specific hardpoints, sometimes you just won't be able to do it. Or, perhaps, the omnipod that has JJs doesn't have the quirks you want. In that case (well, in all cases), it's up to you. Some mechs like the Nova and Summoner are simple, you can't NOT have JJs because all the legs and CTs have them. For mechs like the Dire Wolf however, only the DWF-S side torsos have them. For the Kitfox, only the S side torsos and legs have them. Use smurfy (click on the mech and switch around the parts to be sure,because the JJ indicator on the mech "list" is inaccurate). Or, just use the in-game store lab to see what each omnipod has.

On Targeting Computers.: Assuming I have all the ammo I need, If I have one ton left wih one slot, I'll go with the probe over TC1. Two tons left with two slots? Probably probe and Computer 1. One ton left with two slots? Probably probe. Heatsink maybe if I'm running too hot for comfort (Clan mechs are just hotter though, you get better range and damage, though also more weapon duration).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users