#1 Blockpirat

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 155 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationBavaria, Germany

Posted 27 August 2015 - 03:03 PM

Today my fiancee spent some time watching me play MWO and later wanted to try it herself.
So she spent more than an hour running around in light Mechs in the Training Grounds.

That's when we read about the PTS and the new tutorial.
Perfect timing for a new pilot! :D

I sat down beside her and took notes of her reactions to the new tutorial:

After the wow effect of the intro she felt totally overwhelmed by the HUD details and the cheat sheet ("Do I need all these buttons? Do I need to learn all of this?"). Maybe moving them to a later stage of the tutorial would be better.

We had a bit of trouble finding the alpha strike button as indicated by the onscreen hint - that's because on a German keyboard alpha strike is bound to "#".

She managed to bring up the battlegrid by pressing B. Then wondered briefly how to make it go away again before finding the "toggle battlegrid" hint at the bottom of the screen.

During the Pilot Challenge I she instinctively tried to take the shortest route and cut closely around corners. This resulted in missing waypoints. Maybe it should be made a bit clearer that the player has to run directly through the smoke.

She ran out of time on her way through the course, despite having spent an hour in the Training Grounds! Finding directions and where exactly to turn proved to be difficult. On her second try she made Bronze.

It was not intuitive that you have to double click to select one of the challenges.

It then was my turn to try and I wante to see what happens when you overheat suicide. Sadly, I was disappointed. You simply respawn in a powered down Mech without a comment from your instructor. A rookie might need a hint to power up this new Mech.

Going through Pilot Challenge I in a Locust of course gave me Gold :)

Then it was my fiancee's turn again.

Rapid Fire was way too hard and confusing for her. Not enough time, too many weapon groups, different weapon ranges, lots of frustration. She kept trying but couldn't make it.

During targeting practice she was told to headshot a Jenner. But its head was submerged. She also commented that it was often hard to tell for her where exactly the cockpit was.

On one occasion a CT kill led to the message "Headshot Execution"...

During Gauntlet it was a bit strange to read "Disabled for 10.00000 seconds". Why not just "10 seconds"? And maybe give the Mech a counter over its head (if it's easy to implement).

Running the Gauntlet she fell off the bridge several times. Finding a place where you can get up the hill again is very frustrating for a new pilot.

After 90 minutes of tutorial she decided to stop playing for today. All in all she enjoyed it, but found it hard, frustrating and overwhelming in some parts.

One last thing I tried before closing the game: you can push your instructor off his rooftop by ramming him. Try not to get shot, though!

Some final words:

I'm impressed by the production value and good ideas in this new tutorial! A big applause for all who were involved in its development. :)
Apart from some fine-tuning of the difficulty levels it is in a very mature state.

#2 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 28 August 2015 - 01:31 AM

Blockpirat, I loved this experiment done with your fiancee. Perfect example of a fresh new recruit trying out the game!
Just wanted to add a few comments.

For one, MW games are supposed to be overwhelming at first. So it only makes sense she felt that.

The frustration is also a part of MW, as it is perseverance!
If a pilot can't do something on the Academy, they can try it later.

Some times, a pilot only needs to cool off a bit, take a break, come back and usually finds things easier or the objectives more tangible.

This brings me to my next part, have your fiancee try some of the most frustrating or unfinished parts of the Academy again.

See how she reacts and let us know about it.

#3 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:26 AM

I should try this with my girlfriend...

Edited by Vellron2005, 28 August 2015 - 03:26 AM.

#4 andrewkhlim

• PipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:20 AM

I agree with all of that.

Cheat sheet should be given as a last reminder.
The instructional diagrams need some cleaning up.
The map seems zoomed and blurry on the interface.
And I love playing on that map but maybe a clearer spot should be chosen. It's a bit cramped.
Maybe the keys need to be displayed large when instructing to press them.

#5 vortmax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNorman, OK

Posted 28 August 2015 - 05:42 AM

Also, the cheat sheet seemed to be a static image set up to default key layout. I use ESDF for my movement, but it had WASD. I have also remapped a few other keys that weren't indicated. Fortunately, during the tutorial, they were properly indicated.

#6 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:20 AM

I may ask my wife to do this

#7 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 28 August 2015 - 07:36 AM

View Postvortmax, on 28 August 2015 - 05:42 AM, said:

Also, the cheat sheet seemed to be a static image set up to default key layout. I use ESDF for my movement, but it had WASD. I have also remapped a few other keys that weren't indicated. Fortunately, during the tutorial, they were properly indicated.

true

but a real new player would have not altered the keyboard layout until after he had tried it out a few times.

Edited by TexAce, 28 August 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#8 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 28 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

View PostTexAce, on 28 August 2015 - 07:36 AM, said:

true

but a real new player would have not altered the keyboard layout until after he had tried it out a few times.

sorry, but false.

i routinely rebind everything from scratch as a first thing to do when i start to play a new game. i have a specific key mappings and if possible i try to mirror it in every game (f for use, c for crouch, x for prone, etc)

#9 TexAce

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:33 AM

View Postgloowa, on 28 August 2015 - 12:26 PM, said:

sorry, but false.

i routinely rebind everything from scratch as a first thing to do when i start to play a new game. i have a specific key mappings and if possible i try to mirror it in every game (f for use, c for crouch, x for prone, etc)

MWO is not a shooter game, nothing like that exists here at all.

#10 gloowa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 645 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostTexAce, on 30 August 2015 - 10:33 AM, said:

MWO is not a shooter game, nothing like that exists here at all.

<sigh> way to take my argument about me and possibly many other people go straight into keybindings after running the game for the 1st time and turn it into "but there is no crouch in WMO". gj sir, you have managed to COMPLETELY miss the point. A+.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users