13 replies to this topic

#1 slide

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 28 August 2015 - 03:12 PM

As a long time player of MW in general I have never liked the GAS PEDAL option where if you lift of of W or S your mech automatically comes to a stop.

There is an option to change this in settings/gameplay (not in tutorial) which turns this function off and gives you a sticky throttle. This option is non functional on the PTS in the academy. I haven't checked in normal mode.

It may be a bug at this time but I found it very annoying not being able to change.

#2 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:00 PM

After logging out and back in the changes take effect.

It might be something that sorts itself out once the build goes live as I have not had this problem before.

#3 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:14 PM

While yes, you can easily toggle off Thottle Decay in the options, I would seriously suggest leaving it on.

Some time ago MWO players did testing and discovered that your 'Mech brakes significantly faster when thottle decay is used as opposed to just holding down S until you stop.

Reducing the time it takes for you to brake is INVALUABLE in a light or medium, and helpful at least in an assault or heavy.

If you don't believe me, try it yourself.

The reason is because there are 2 factors to your current speed in MWO.

1: Your thottle setting.

2: Your actual speed.

It takes time for your speed to catch up to your throttle, and it takes time for your thottle to decrease while you hold down S. Since the brakes react faster than the change in throttle, the throttle acts as a bottleneck that keeps you from braking as fast as you could.

I think if you pressed "X" or whatever you use to set throttle to minimum, it might be just as fast, but I'm not positive on that. Regardless, it's better to simply get used to it and do it. The gains are great, and it doesn't take long to adapt.

#4 bad arcade kitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 07:22 PM

View Postslide, on 28 August 2015 - 03:12 PM, said:

As a long time player of MW in general I have never liked the GAS PEDAL option where if you lift of of W or S your mech automatically comes to a stop.

that 'gas pedal option' i.e. throttle decay makes your mech significantly more responsive and nimble

#5 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:06 AM

Thank you for your advice.

X achieves the same thing and after 3 years of playing I have no intention of changing. Besides I pilot assaults mainly, at least in pug land and I have no intention of getting RSI on those long walks to the gates on the various CW maps.

#6 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:10 AM

View Postslide, on 30 August 2015 - 02:06 AM, said:

Besides I pilot assaults mainly, at least in pug land and I have no intention of getting RSI on those long walks to the gates on the various CW maps.

you can use numpad as a kind of cruise control, you can set 10-100% throttle speed there and use 'a' and 'd' to steer while your mech walks with that speed, as soon as you press 'w' or 's' the cruise control will turn off and you have to press 'w' or 's' to move again

#7 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 August 2015 - 02:38 AM

I'm surprised that people are able to play by leaving the throttle on consistently... (unless you're just traversing those big stretches of ground at the beginning, to get to the battle). I can't imagine how you'd have enough finessed control of the Mech's positioning under that model.

#8 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:58 AM

View PostAppogee, on 30 August 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

I'm surprised that people are able to play by leaving the throttle on consistently... (unless you're just traversing those big stretches of ground at the beginning, to get to the battle). I can't imagine how you'd have enough finessed control of the Mech's positioning under that model.

I have played this way for a looong time because imho it feels stupid to me that a throttle should work like a car's gas pedal..

It may be because of my history of playing flight simulators of every kind ;)

Aff, i am crazy sometimes..

#9 Drenar

• PipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 53 posts
  • LocationDillon, CO

Posted 30 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

View PostAppogee, on 30 August 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

Whereas I feel like I have more finessed control as I can tweak the amount of throttle much easier than using the numpad "cruise control" setting. Now granted, like Cycloner I have a long history of playing flight sims, as well as the Tesla II pods for mechs.

The Gas Pedal controls don't even work as well as a true gas pedal, as there's no pressure sensitivity in most, if not all, keyboards.

#10 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

I personally do not like having to take my hands of the controls unless I have to. To use the functions on the num pad requires me to move to the other side of the keyboard with my left hand or let go of the mouse with the right. This is something I do not like as I sometimes lose my position on the keyboard. I have most functions remapped to be within easy reach of my left hand or on a mouse button. E for example is the override function (normally O). As Drenar points out there is more finesse with out the gas pedal when trying to match speeds with slower mechs and x performs as well or better when having to stop or reverse quickly.

I can see the benefits of both systems and all I can say is each to his own.

#11 bad arcade kitty

• Bridesmaid
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 07:38 PM

you still don't get it
numpad is never used in battle
it's for the time when you in your slow assault march to the fire position and dont want to hold w for like 2 minutes
fighting you use wasd only and it makes your mech more responsible

#12 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:21 PM

I do get it I am not stupid. As I said I appreciate the advice. But I have no desire to change the way I play after playing this way for 3 years. If by your estimation that gimps me then so be it.

This was a bug report not a discussion on my play style, I gave a reason for why I even explored the option in the first place, nothing more.

#13 POWR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 553 posts
  • LocationAarhus, Denmark

Posted 31 August 2015 - 12:57 AM

Decaying throttle is awful compared to non-decarying. The decaying throttle means you're fumbling around and just kind of hoping that you're moving at the correct speed, and you can't make small, slow advances without like spamming the key as there's no pressure sensitive keyboard key that would allow you the degree of precision movement that you can get with the non-decaying throttle.

Should be something you can toggle on/off with a key or otherwise in the tutorial, as you might have long-time fans new to the game come in and be annoyed with the fact that there's throttledecay.

#14 ThomasAH

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 199 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 09:21 AM

A bit offtopic here, but I wish there would be a "match speed to the mech I'm looking at".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users