A Good Start But Still Has Missing Information

2 replies to this topic

#1 ArchSight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 492 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 08:20 PM

It's a good start to finishing a tutorial that will produce able Mech Warriors. Anything I don't mention is good or currently tolerable for me. Anything in Bold is what I believe needs to be added to the tutorial in order to avoid old newbie blunder's we all have seen constantly in spectator view. Excuse me if anything I say is already being worked on or held back due to other work.

I've gone through the beginning tutorial many times to find all or most of the missing information that a player will eventually have to learn. I made a list of missing information from each event or challenge or segment which ever it's called. (From my perspective the "Cancel Event" button wasn't obvious due to the word event not matching with the word challenge and the button being transparent)

Powering Up the mech Tutorial
  • "P" Power Up is not explained to remove the mech from radar and it's counter BAP is not mentioned to detect shut down mechs at possibly a new specified range when the re-balance happens.
HUD Field Manual Entry Tutorial
  • Jump Jet Bar is not explained in the throttle speed indicator window.
  • Compass Window doesn't have "Full Red triangle" enemy targeted by Ally.
  • Vision mode window doesn't have NARC on your mech icon.
  • Jammed by ECM icon and battle grid mini-map no signal is missing.
  • Narc and tag icons missing from targeted enemy.
  • ECM and Countered-ECM icons missing.
  • Battle grid mini-map window's Leg Orientation doesn't point directly to the dotted, pointed, white line when it's obscured by a white transparent background.
  • Heat indicator window has too much space that could be used to explain Heat scale, on movement heat, JJ heat, Map effecting heat, heat sinks submerging in water cools faster, Standing in hot area's heats the mech up, ETC.
  • Vertical speed indicator window doesn't say the mech will take fall damage and at what speeds.
  • Target letter designations not explained anywhere.
  • Targeting Reticule window doesn't explain that is glows red as a hit indicator.
BattleMech Control Keys "F1" Tutorial
  • Missing "X" to full stop, "F" center legs to torso, "C" center torso to legs, MASC Key, "Caps Lock" VOIP.
  • "A" Turn left and "D" Turn Left, "D" needs to be changed to Turn Right.
Movement Tutorial
  • Missing explanation on throttle decay and option to shut it off.
  • Missing "X" to full stop when throttle decay is off.
  • Missing Jump jets and their heat.
  • Missing movement apply's heat.
Weapons Tutorial
  • Missing arm lock setting can be shut off and held back on with "left shift".
  • Over heating and "O" to override automatic shut down is not explained immediatly.
  • Have to fire weapons repeatadly to get more information on them doesn't inform all players due to some player's may not fire their weapons that often.
  • The 90 meter no damage range of the PPC was not explained.
  • The 180 meter no damage minimum range of the LRM was not explained.
  • The 180 meter drop off damage minimum range of the C-LRM was not explained.
  • Gauss Rifle charging not explained.
  • All other weapon types besides, Large Laser, SRM, AC 10, Medium Laser, Small Laser, were not explained.
  • Small laser is said to do a lot of damage up close but it's a 3 damage weapon.
BattleGrid and Compass Tutorial
  • The tutorial completes if the player doesn't press "B" to bring up the BattleGrid when the player goes to the waypoint.
B Basic Targeting Tutorial
  • Bug: Sometimes doesn't register a mechs death on the check list.
  • "Red Full Triangle" enemy target by ally is not explained to help with focus firing on the same target to kill mechs faster with the player's team.
  • The fact that most mechs have low rear armor to protect the internal torso's is not explained and that the player shouldn't give the enemy the back of their mech.
  • Having a mechs leg destroyed is not explained to lower the mech's max speed which is also not explained to be useful to do against fast light mechs.
  • XL engine, Clan XL engine, and ammo/gauss explosions are not explained.
  • ECM, ECM disrupt mode, ECM counter mode are not explained.
  • The Items that help counter ECM are not explained, TAG, BAP, NARC, UAV, PPC, ERPPC, C-ERPPC, sensor range module, targeting computer, command console, and the 20 meter window.
  • Doesn't teach to check on the status of a player's teammates with the "Q" key to check for ally's taking damage and being jammed by ECM. A jammed icon shows on their status.
  • The Commando hiding in the smoke is not hiding behind smoke in low graphic settings. There's no reason for a pilot to use "H" heat vision to learn to use heat vision.
  • The differences of each weight class is not explained.
Still many other things to explain with the game but that's mostly whats needed with those specific tutorials. Also, it would be nice if captain adam's tells new player's that they can spread damage across their mechs by moving their torso around in gauntlet and cored challenges.

Edited by ArchSight, 31 August 2015 - 12:54 AM.

#2 Nik Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,273 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 01:22 AM

Yeah, that's about the most of it, I would hope that an advanced course would be introduced dealing with weapons types, equipment, JJ movement and some moving targets.

#3 Nathan Foxbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,984 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostNik Reaper, on 31 August 2015 - 01:22 AM, said:

Yeah, that's about the most of it, I would hope that an advanced course would be introduced dealing with weapons types, equipment, JJ movement and some moving targets.

The new Forest Colony map would be a great advanced tutorial with lots of room to run more complex exercises. As it is the basic tutorial could do more to use River City.
We need a damage tutorial as well. Not just on the effects on enemy 'Mechs, but the player's own too.
  • Inner Sphere and Clan side torso loss with XL engines
  • Weapon and component destruction
  • Critical hits and why they are important for weapons like Machine Guns
  • Ammo and Gauss Rifle explosions need to be explained
  • CASE and the differences between Inner Sphere and Clan versions needs to be explained since it does have an actual function.
I can only assume there will be a proper 'Mech lab tutorial eventually.

Edited by Nathan Foxbane, 03 September 2015 - 12:25 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users