Custom Sounds

41 replies to this topic

Poll: Custom Sounds (156 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Pgi offer sound options?

1. Voted Yes (146 votes [93.59%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 93.59%

2. No (10 votes [6.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.41%

What sound options would you want?

1. Weapons! I hate the sound the ___ makes! (10 votes [6.41%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.41%

2. Mech engines! (2 votes [1.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.28%

3. Soundtracks for maps! (5 votes [3.21%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.21%

4. Voted All the options! (100 votes [64.10%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 64.10%

5. HUD warnings (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. Alternate Betty voices (28 votes [17.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 17.95%

7. No/none (11 votes [7.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.05%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2015 - 05:05 PM

Per request, I'm making a thread for custom sounds. I imagine it'd be pretty much be options for us to choose different sounds for our weapons & mechs. Perhaps a big 400 rated engine should simply sound different compared to a 275.

I'm thinking this could also be done in a similar way to warhorns, sell us different sound options for our mechs/weapons.

Also, what Eldagore says.
I'll update this thread when/if there's more input. This wasn't my idea originally.

Edited by TheArisen, 05 September 2015 - 10:09 PM.

#2 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:07 PM

I will post a link to a youtube video that uses a "non approved" mod which overlays mechwarrior 2 hud/betty/weapons sounds onto MWO.

Sound is key to immersion in a "sim" game like this(MWO might stretch the mech sim aspect of mechwarrior, but still) and things like incoming missile warnings, Bitchin' Betty's voice, weapons sounds, background music packs- all those things can set the mood and can also require a little different theme from player to player for immersion to happen.

I would:

Offer different HUD packs, to include warning sounds and things like target window sounds, sound FX for when you turn on/off heat vision, etc

Offer different "Betty" packs, with different voices and dialogue for themes for Bitchin' betty

Weapon sound packs are a no brainer, IMO they need to be in packs for value, and sold individually for each weapon so people could mix and match to taste. maybe a sound for clammer ERML is the only one a player wants to change for example. Buy a pack for a discount, go to a new UI tool to select a sound for a particular weapon in mechlab.

Music. unlock tracks one at a time, set up a UI to organize a playlist, set tracks for menu, match play, etc. Basically a track list with some check boxes for when you want the track to pay, so you could set one track to only play on menu, one only on match, some for both, etc.

To see the difference a sound mod can make to how the game feels, here is a video of a mod made by a player. it is important to note PGI has not given a 100% "NO" to this, but also not said it is ok to use. If you pursue this, know it is not "legal" technically. I only post the vid here so people can see what a sound change can do to the game.........

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2015 - 09:43 PM

I feel like you should have made the thread haha. I made this while on my 10min break at work.

#4 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

I updated the poll with your suggestions Eldagore.

#5 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:38 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 05 September 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

I feel like you should have made the thread haha. I made this while on my 10min break at work.

Maybe, but I could't put the link into your OP in your main thread :P

#6 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 05 September 2015 - 10:43 PM

View PostEldagore, on 05 September 2015 - 10:38 PM, said:

Maybe, but I could't put the link into your OP in your main thread :P

Haha true but I would've been willing to add it. I put AW's custom geometry thread in. :P

#7 X T R E M E

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 204 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 02:52 AM

View PostEldagore, on 05 September 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

I will post a link to a youtube video that uses a "non approved" mod which overlays mechwarrior 2 hud/betty/weapons sounds onto MWO.

Sound is key to immersion in a "sim" game like this(MWO might stretch the mech sim aspect of mechwarrior, but still) and things like incoming missile warnings, Bitchin' Betty's voice, weapons sounds, background music packs- all those things can set the mood and can also require a little different theme from player to player for immersion to happen.

I would:

Offer different HUD packs, to include warning sounds and things like target window sounds, sound FX for when you turn on/off heat vision, etc

Offer different "Betty" packs, with different voices and dialogue for themes for Bitchin' betty

Weapon sound packs are a no brainer, IMO they need to be in packs for value, and sold individually for each weapon so people could mix and match to taste. maybe a sound for clammer ERML is the only one a player wants to change for example. Buy a pack for a discount, go to a new UI tool to select a sound for a particular weapon in mechlab.

Music. unlock tracks one at a time, set up a UI to organize a playlist, set tracks for menu, match play, etc. Basically a track list with some check boxes for when you want the track to pay, so you could set one track to only play on menu, one only on match, some for both, etc.

To see the difference a sound mod can make to how the game feels, here is a video of a mod made by a player. it is important to note PGI has not given a 100% "NO" to this, but also not said it is ok to use. If you pursue this, know it is not "legal" technically. I only post the vid here so people can see what a sound change can do to the game.........

yes I agree !

#8 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

One of the things I like about having different weapon sounds is it can almost be like they're a bunch of different companies producing these weapons.

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 09 September 2015 - 11:02 PM

Hey guys, let's try to get Russ to talk about customization in the upcoming town hall.

#10 CyclonerM

Tina's Warrior

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 5,684 posts
  • LocationA 2nd Wolf Guards Grenadiers JumpShip

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:17 AM

Unfortunately, the last word on that from Tina is that modifications to the game files could lead to abuses by the players..

However i still hope that they will give us this option one day, i want that MW2 mod :)

#11 zudukai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,707 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:47 AM

the whole sound package needs a bit of polish, i want my betty to ALWAYS call out information, not some times, or most of the time. always. the fact that it doesn't is annoying.

also warhorns, their whole deal is devalued because half the time they don't go off either.

#12 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 September 2015 - 09:28 AM

View Postzudukai, on 10 September 2015 - 02:47 AM, said:

the whole sound package needs a bit of polish, i want my betty to ALWAYS call out information, not some times, or most of the time. always. the fact that it doesn't is annoying.

also warhorns, their whole deal is devalued because half the time they don't go off either.

Tbh, this thread isn't about fixing sounds in mwo but I agree.

#13 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 02 November 2015 - 09:23 AM

This idea would do a lot more to improve the game than people might realize. Sound and music are extremely important to movies because music affects your mood.

A simplified idea is Pgi could have music for each mode, Skirmish, Assault, etc, etc. Of course, players would be able to turn off the sound if they wished.

#14 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:26 AM

Let's not underestimate the value of music & sound. Music can affect the mood in a match.

#15 Angus McFife VI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 02:11 PM

After watching gameplay of MWLL, The sound department is the only thing that is far better.

PGI please give is hard hitting, collateral damage sounds. Thanks.

#16 IronJavelin

• PipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 28 posts

Posted 03 February 2016 - 05:32 AM

I know I'm late to join the party but I believe they should have sounds of all the older games 2/3/4/etc and custom sound effects that aren't realistic but sound really awesome

Edited by IronJavelin, 03 February 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#17 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 12 February 2016 - 05:47 AM

Consider me On-Board with support to this thread and idea. I would really like the Incoming Missile Buzzer from MechWarrior 2, over the current voice info. Every time I heard that back then, I would flash in my JumpJets faster than a Love-Crazed Monkey's Uncle could kiss a person, which usually enabled me to dodge the entire volley. It would also be nice to hear proper voice info every time somebody takes out your Targeting Comp, Active Probe, ECM, AMS, etc., instead of having to listen for a rare tiny sound effect. B)

~D. V. "Count me in!" Devnull

#18 Beaching Betty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 710 posts
  • Location-

Posted 12 February 2016 - 07:39 AM

ALL OF THE OPTION! Especially soundtrack in a match, the soundtrack does not really have that feel to it IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION

#19 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:29 PM

View PostBeaching Betty, on 12 February 2016 - 07:39 AM, said:

ALL OF THE OPTION! Especially soundtrack in a match, the soundtrack does not really have that feel to it IN MY OWN PERSONAL OPINION

I agree, the game's soundtrack could use tons of work. I'm sure many ppl underestimate how much an improved soundtrack would improve the game.

#20 Jiyu Mononoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 251 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:18 AM

Maybe even just a "Radio" that lets you choose from pre existing packages, or load your own. Could even have triggers, like changing to a song/sound bite when entering close proximity combat, or making a kill etc.

- I'd love to have the MW2 music sequence, maybe even betty too ;)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users