Is The Shadow Cat Being Fixed On The 8Th Also?

Balance BattleMechs Loadout

84 replies to this topic

#81 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 08 September 2015 - 04:51 AM

The Shadow Cat is a light Medium. A mech like that (similar to the Vindicator) is best used as a high mobility ranged skirmisher. Lots or running, jumping, firing at range, and scooting. Due to their low tonnage and therefore low armor as a Medium, they just aren't good at getting close up and personal anyway. Only real difference between a Vindicator and a Shadow Cat is that a Shadow Cat is good.

Try 2 LPLasers (600m optimal, 1200m max) and use your JJs for high cover. Jump, hit, fade, and profit. Sounds good to me.

#82 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:03 PM

View PostMoenrg, on 08 September 2015 - 01:48 AM, said:

The Scat has little problem fitting 3xERML and 2xASRM 6's, and ECM, it can out Alpha (45) and DPS a BJ-1X (the BJ-1X can get a bit more range than your missiles or speed though). The Scat can jump (very well) and has MASC to instantly get to top speed. While it's pretty easy to use the lasers on a BJ-1X, you need to work with the different speeds of your weapons. It's one of my favorite pug builds. Sure the missiles will get a bit of spread, but if the target twists at all the BJ spreads damage too.

If PGI ever gives MG's back the 20% damage they took away, the Scat can up it's DPS by losing the ECM and dumping 3xMG's in the left torso of the above build, as of now I like the ECM better, but when it gets it's range nerfed using the P left torso becomes an option to increase DPS.

I guess I just like the Scat, I wish they hadn't nerfed MASC on lighter mechs (I love MASC on the executioner), but it's workable. Other than that it's a fun mech to play and I don't think anyone would claim it's OP, it's not going to replace the StormCrow for damage, but then it's not suppose to.

I wouldn't be so sure. The burn-time for MedLas on a BJ-1X is 0.7 seconds; most targets cannot sufficiently spread a duration that short and only 'Mechs like the Firestarter or Arctic Cheetah are sufficiently small enough to have much of an effect when they do try. And, the enemy has to see the shot coming to be able to react fast enough; usually, targets are distracted with other 'Mechs and actions, so their ability to deal with single threats is reduced.

So, for that reason, the BJ-1X is superior in firepower to the SCat. It's 36-42 pin-point with an exceptionally short burn, incredibly brief cool-down, rather trivial heat-generation, and gratuitous reach at 350 meters. The SCat, on the other hand, runs a lot hotter, fires a lot slower, and is always spreading some portion of its firepower. Dangerous? Possibly. Competitive with a BJ-1X? Not even close.

Personally, I'm going to be buying the SCat with the next paycheck. It has just enough hard-points to play the way I want it to; I can make it work. I love a fast striker.

#83 J0anna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 939 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 03:30 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 08 September 2015 - 03:03 PM, said:

So, for that reason, the BJ-1X is superior in firepower to the SCat. It's 36-42 pin-point with an exceptionally short burn, incredibly brief cool-down, rather trivial heat-generation, and gratuitous reach at 350 meters. The SCat, on the other hand, runs a lot hotter, fires a lot slower, and is always spreading some portion of its firepower. Dangerous? Possibly. Competitive with a BJ-1X? Not even close.

In the build I quoted the Scat is actually a bit cooler than the BJ-1X due to ghost heat. If the blackjack staggers it's shots it can avoid ghost heat and run cooler, but then it looses it's pinpoint placement. Both mechs are viable, and I think you'll see the Scat can put up some good numbers (I have 3x900+ damage games in the prime alone, but have yet to break 1k). I run the following builds:

2xERLL's, ECM and 3xMG's (think 3L on steroids)
2xLPL's and ECM
3xERML, 2xASRM6 and ECM (if running conquest only I can swap to streaks)
2xERML, 1xERPPC, ECM - one of my favorite builds allows bare minimum face time and can poptart forever

All are mastered and it was very enjoyable mastering them. Make no mistake, they cannot carry a game like a stormcrow, but that was never their purpose.

#84 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 06:21 PM

View PostMoenrg, on 08 September 2015 - 03:30 PM, said:

In the build I quoted the Scat is actually a bit cooler than the BJ-1X due to ghost heat. If the blackjack staggers it's shots it can avoid ghost heat and run cooler, but then it looses it's pinpoint placement. Both mechs are viable, and I think you'll see the Scat can put up some good numbers (I have 3x900+ damage games in the prime alone, but have yet to break 1k). I run the following builds:

2xERLL's, ECM and 3xMG's (think 3L on steroids)
2xLPL's and ECM
3xERML, 2xASRM6 and ECM (if running conquest only I can swap to streaks)
2xERML, 1xERPPC, ECM - one of my favorite builds allows bare minimum face time and can poptart forever

All are mastered and it was very enjoyable mastering them. Make no mistake, they cannot carry a game like a stormcrow, but that was never their purpose.

Ghost heat? On a BJ-1X? Nah, man, there's no ghost.

The typical build uses 6xML and 2xMPL on an XL295 with 18(!) DHS. No ghost.

My BJ-1X build uses 6xML and 2xSL on a STD280 with 15 DHS. Also no ghost.

Personally, I'm going to run the SCat with 1xC-UAC/10+2.5T and 3x C-ERML. I have a feeling it'll perform better than my BJ-1 with AC/10+4xML, which is quite competent on its own. I still don't think it'll consistently out-perform the -1X, though. That thing is a monster. We're lucky Mix-Tech is not a thing, or the BJ-1X might be running amok and dominating the Medium class.

#85 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,611 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:21 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 08 September 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

The Shadow Cat is a light Medium. A mech like that (similar to the Vindicator) is best used as a high mobility ranged skirmisher. Lots or running, jumping, firing at range, and scooting. Due to their low tonnage and therefore low armor as a Medium, they just aren't good at getting close up and personal anyway. Only real difference between a Vindicator and a Shadow Cat is that a Shadow Cat is good.

Try 2 LPLasers (600m optimal, 1200m max) and use your JJs for high cover. Jump, hit, fade, and profit. Sounds good to me.

Even that build overheats very fast and you know what happens when any Light laser-vomit out-runs and out-guns you. The Shadow Cat just gets ripped. So why take it over a 10-15 ton lighter Light mech? It's a critical balance point. If ERPPC's worked accurately, say 1500-1600 mps, that might be something, but MWO's Mediums have to be a logical upgrade from it's Lights or the game balance is broken. Smaller hit-boxes is what I keep thinking.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users