user.cfg performance Guide

81 replies to this topic

#61 Jun Watarase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:41 AM

Why did you make the max_fps 30 instead of 60 in the cfg file?

#62 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:27 AM

View PostJun Watarase, on 12 September 2017 - 07:41 AM, said:

Why did you make the max_fps 30 instead of 60 in the cfg file?

When this thread was started 2 years ago, iirc, it was (and still is) aimed at low end systems/laptops/etc. No reason to push said systems to their max since it would degrade overall gaming performance with more FPS spikes. And for laptops, pushing everything generates unnecessary heat from both cpu/gpu, which would then exceed the thermal threshold causing the system to throttle down, reducing power to the components and reducing the heat being generated, causing severe FPS dips instead of providing a more consistent FPS with minor dips.

Locking the FPS to 30 FPS would also help some so there is no need to disable Turboboost for the entire system, you know, the layman's TEMPORARY overclocking mechanism where more power/BLCK is applied to fewer then one core, generating more heat. It may be okay with some programs but with a game like MWO and its coding, it can generate very unsatisfactory results.

Dillon said:

But, I did a little arts and crafts project with my laptop for better performance. I'll see about posting pictures later. Its a funny little idea, but its done wonders for keeping my laptop cool.

(chuckles) I know of 2 people who actually disassembled their laptops, attached them to a board, put larger heatsinks/fans on the cpu/gpu to cool things down while OC it some. One had some sort of issue with the LCD that he was not able to resolve after it was out of warranty but he had the materials on hand to do that project while saving up funds for a newer gaming system. People have it get their fix some how... :)

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 12 September 2017 - 08:36 AM.

#63 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts
  • LocationInside a straightjacket

Posted 31 January 2018 - 11:27 PM

Hey I thought I would come back here and share another User.cfg that I messed with. My laptop got a considerable amount of performance after I messed around with a few config commands. Yeah, some of the commands in the file dont work, or might just be out of place entirely, but they shouldn't hurt anything.

I spent hours and hours putting together user.cfs; If some day I get really bored, I might go through the commands one at a time and research what values need to be set for each command. If you notice anything dumb or just plain wrong, please post some feedback. I really like it when people contribute to the config file because the more brains we have working on it, the better the performance results will be.

Some of the stuff at the bottom of the config list mess with threads and different cpu cores and bla bla. If you get a decrease in performance, try deleting those commands. I have a 4 core cpu, and I can confirm that has a positive effect; so if you have a 4 core cpu, then you're in luck. If you have something different, then just go ahead and see what it does - try with and without the commands.

Spoiler

#64 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 08:17 PM

I want this to be a page that holds every option imaginable to help computers run the game better. This is kinda dorky, but i made a google doc of the post that anyone can mess with. You can edit it and make fun of me, you can edit it to make it better, or you can laugh and reminisce about the days of Wikipedia... after you are done making fun of me. If you know some stuff that isn't in the post, you can add it any way you want, and I shall credit you when I re-post it.

Edited by Dillion Harper, 15 February 2018 - 08:23 PM.

#65 TheoLu

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 73 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationNapier, South Africa

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:52 AM

Simply dumping the provided config into the right place, I noticed a roughly 50% increase in average framerate which is highly welcomed.

I noticed that there's very little difference in overall graphics quality between using the minimum settings in the game with medium textures and using that config, so it's a pretty welcome increase.

What I'd like to know though is why the game performs so much worse today than it did back when I first started playing MWO?

I'm on a GTX460 1GB, which I'm aware came out a few years before the game launched and all that, but I distinctly recall being able to play the game with much prettier graphics and a rock-solid 60fps+ framerate at 1080p at the time. Now, playing at 1920x810 with the game on minimum I'm lucky to average around 35fps depending on how hairy a fight is and what map I'm on...?

#66 Pfuscher1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 March 2018 - 04:44 AM

Hi, are there settings to prevent all the ugly shadow and lod plopping plus better texture streaming?

#67 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:48 PM

View PostTheoLu, on 05 March 2018 - 06:52 AM, said:

Simply dumping the provided config into the right place, I noticed a roughly 50% increase in average framerate which is highly welcomed.

I noticed that there's very little difference in overall graphics quality between using the minimum settings in the game with medium textures and using that config, so it's a pretty welcome increase.

What I'd like to know though is why the game performs so much worse today than it did back when I first started playing MWO?

You aren't running on DX11 are you? It has a lot of silly features that hog CPU. Sometimes they don't even work right, as you mentioned.

View PostPfuscher1, on 21 March 2018 - 04:44 AM, said:

Hi, are there settings to prevent all the ugly shadow and lod plopping plus better texture streaming?

Shader stuff
Spoiler

Level of distance stuff
Spoiler

preloading
Spoiler

CPU management, usefull if you have a multi core cpu.
Spoiler

These are commands that effect everything you described. Maybe this will help you get started (google the name of the cvar if you wanna make sure it is set up right). It will probably involve a decent ammount of tinkering if you wanna find out which of the commands actually work; and to determine what they should be configured to. I would help you more, but its been so long since i messed with this stuff. That, and I don't really play the game very much anymore. I still check up on this every once in a while to see if anyone needs help.

Edited by Dillion Harper, 08 April 2018 - 08:51 PM.

#68 Shazzer

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 08 April 2018 - 08:57 PM

Running a Intel 7700K (OC to 5GHZ), 32GB of Ram and a 1080 TI, All water cooled and very stable, No issues in WoW, CiV6, Fortnight, Overwatch, LOL and X-PLANE 11. I have a 144hz monitor with G-Sync as well

If I run the game out of the box so to speak at max or low graphics I get this nasty stutter and frame rate drop. Even if I drop shadows and particles to low. On top of that I rarely see FPS even break 100 to begin with which is frustrating.

I applied the "New 2018" user.cfg and I do see a MASSIVE improvement in FPS (130-144) and very little stuttering (like 99% less) but the game is now randomly crashing during matches. I can not make it through a single match without it crashing and sending an error report. Also I can't find any logs in the MWO directory to see what even is crashing. If I am missing the logs some where let me know please....

I did change one line "sys_MaxFPS = 60" to "sys_MaxFPS = 144" and I tried putting it back and I still crash.

Playing a game should not be this hard to get an enjoyable experience.

Direct X Info

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/25/17 16:49:48 Ver: 05.0000C
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32700MB RAM
Page File: 6789MB used, 30775MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Display Memory: 27477 MB
Dedicated Memory: 11127 MB
Shared Memory: 16350 MB
Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

#69 Pfuscher1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 05:29 AM

Thank you Dillion Harper. Good actress ^^

#70 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 04:11 PM

View PostShazzer, on 08 April 2018 - 08:57 PM, said:

Running a Intel 7700K (OC to 5GHZ), 32GB of Ram and a 1080 TI, All water cooled and very stable, No issues in WoW, CiV6, Fortnight, Overwatch, LOL and X-PLANE 11. I have a 144hz monitor with G-Sync as well

If I run the game out of the box so to speak at max or low graphics I get this nasty stutter and frame rate drop. Even if I drop shadows and particles to low. On top of that I rarely see FPS even break 100 to begin with which is frustrating.

I applied the "New 2018" user.cfg and I do see a MASSIVE improvement in FPS (130-144) and very little stuttering (like 99% less) but the game is now randomly crashing during matches. I can not make it through a single match without it crashing and sending an error report. Also I can't find any logs in the MWO directory to see what even is crashing. If I am missing the logs some where let me know please....

I did change one line "sys_MaxFPS = 60" to "sys_MaxFPS = 144" and I tried putting it back and I still crash.

Playing a game should not be this hard to get an enjoyable experience.

Direct X Info

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 16299) (16299.rs3_release.170928-1534)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: System manufacturer
System Model: System Product Name
BIOS: BIOS Date: 12/25/17 16:49:48 Ver: 05.0000C
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.2GHz
Memory: 32768MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 32700MB RAM
Page File: 6789MB used, 30775MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
Display Memory: 27477 MB
Dedicated Memory: 11127 MB
Shared Memory: 16350 MB
Current Mode: 2560 x 1440 (32 bit) (144Hz)

hmm...hmmmmmmmmm. I'll think about it. It doesn't really seem like you should need the user.cfg with your computer though. I would try different DirectX versions in the settings menu in game, and I would make sure you are running the 64 bit version of the game. The application window should identify as 64 bit when the game is starting up. It should also show up in task manager as 64 bit I think.

If you wanna stick with the user.cfg, then lemme know if it have an error message of any kind.

Also, try this, scroll to the bottom of your user.cfg, highlight and delete these commands.

sys_job_system_enable = 1
sys_job_system_max_worker = 8
e_ParticlesThread = 7
e_StatObjMergeUseThread = 6
sys_main_CPU = 5
sys_physics_CPU = 4
sys_streaming_CPU = 6
ca_thread = 1
ca_thread0Affinity = 0
ca_thread1Affinity = 1
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 3
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 1
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 2
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 3
sys_limit_phys_thread_count = 4
p_num_threads = 4
p_num_jobs = 6

If this doesn't change anything, lemme know and I'll keep thinking about it.

#71 Squiggy McPew

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 755 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 11:15 PM

View PostDillion Harper, on 08 April 2018 - 08:48 PM, said:

CPU management, usefull if you have a multi core cpu.
Spoiler

Is this a generic set of variables for any cpu or a specific one? Will it work with an i5 4670k?

#72 SayNoMore

• Pip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 02:12 AM

Can some one help with a CFG for a FX 8350 with GTX 1060 6gb 8gb ram and SSD i get horrendous FPS .

#73 Shazzer

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 29 April 2018 - 08:16 PM

This is what I am using for my config now......This is tuned for my system. IF you want to use this config make sure the Highlighted CVARs match your your system specs. I highly suggest googling each of the commands and read the docs at cryengine.com

r_MultiThreaded = 1
sys_preload = 1
sys_job_system_profiler = 1
sys_flash_address_space = 6000000
sys_budget_sysmem = 16384
sys_budget_videomem = 11330
sys_job_system_max_worker = 0
sys_MaxFps = 144
sys_PakStreamCache = 1
sys_preload = 1
e_PreloadMaterials = 1
e_PrepareDeformableObjectsAtLoadTime = 1
ca_thread = 1
sys_main_CPU = 1
sys_physics_CPU = 2
sys_streaming_CPU = 3
q_Quality = 3
q_ShaderGeneral = 3
q_ShaderMetal = 2
q_ShaderGlass = 2
q_ShaderVegetation = 2
q_ShaderIce = 2
q_ShaderTerrain = 2
q_ShaderShadow = 3
q_ShaderWater = 2
q_ShaderFX = 3
q_ShaderPostProcess = 2
q_ShaderHDR = 3
q_ShaderSky = 3
q_Renderer = 3
sys_spec_PostProcessing = 4
sys_spec_Shading = 4
ca_thread0Affinity = 5
ca_thread1Affinity = 6
sys_TaskThread0_CPU = 8
sys_TaskThread1_CPU = 9
sys_TaskThread2_CPU = 0
sys_TaskThread3_CPU = 10
sys_TaskThread4_CPU = 11
sys_TaskThread5_CPU = 12
r_WaterUpdateThread = 13
e_StatObjMergeUseThread = 14
r_TexturesStreamingMaxRequestedMB = 900
r_TexturesStreamingResidencyEnabled = 1
r_TexturesStreamingResidencyThrottle = 0.8
r_TexturesStreamPoolSize = 6144
r_TexturesStreamingResidencyTime = 120

Here is the log file with no errors loading those cvars......
Spoiler

#74 S1man

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 07:30 AM

If you experience crashes in Solaris City map with config given in 1st post then remove line
e_ParticlesEmitterPoolSize = 2048

#75 cowcomrade

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 June 2018 - 06:36 AM

Is there anyway to turn down the res using the config? i really need this help and it seems like you guys are the people to ask

#76 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 June 2018 - 06:33 AM

As noted in the other thread, there is not a way to reduce the resolution. And PGI removed the ability to customized the attribute file in the MWO Saved folder. Part for that change may be due to Solaris UI setup.

I directed you to this thread for you to review then ask for assistance for a customized user.cfg to help reduce the workload, since you had never replied back in your original thread/posts the ACTUAL specs of your system, except only using lowest game settings.

https://mwomercs.com...90-17-apr-2018/

Patch notes
  • Removal of 32-bit Support
  • Video Resolutions 1024x768 and 32-bit systems are no longer supported by MechWarrior Online.
  • New Lowest Video Resolution supported is 1280x720.

With that said, currently there is a way to make it so the game is not drawing decals, which may help those w/low end systems.

View PostNARC BAIT, on 25 May 2018 - 05:46 AM, said:

ive been using this key to turn them on / off, technically, from an engine standpoint, they are still on, and your just not drawing them anymore
r_DeferredDecals = 0

to re-enable them either set the value to the normal '3', or comment the line out with '--' at the start
--r_DeferredDecals = 3

https://mwomercs.com...urrent-usercfg/

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 June 2018 - 09:09 AM.

#77 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 13 June 2018 - 08:49 AM

I'll try this file again. I had to remove it because it kept crashing in Solaris.

#78 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 07 August 2018 - 07:21 PM

Im going to add an update to the main post.

Firstly, you can change the resolution with the commands:

r_height =
r_width =

pop those commands into your user.cfg. I have mine set to r_height = 600, r_width = 800. for max performance.

Secondly, memory allocation is important.

sys_budget_videomem =
sys_budget_sysmem =

pop these in your user.cfg. more instructions here:

videomem will be equal to your dedicated memory, you can find this by: (windows 10) right click on the start button on the bottom left, open "system", open "display", open "advanced display settings", click on "display adapter properties" near the bottom of the list. Look at "dedicated video memory" that number is what you need. I have 768 dedicated memory, so mine is:

sys_budget_videomem = 768

If you have over a gig, then round down to Mb's for the measurement. If you have another version of windows, you can find your dedicated memory through the control panel.

Now, "sys_budget_sysmem =" will reflect your total available ram installed. You can find it by: (windows 10 and probably every other version) Open control panel, click on "system" or "system and security", click on "system" again, and note how much usable ram is available. I have 5.19 usable gigabytes, so mine is set to

sys_budget_sysmem = 5190 (measured in megabytes)

Also, I'll look into removing the commands that are causing Solaris to crash. I'll let you know when i fix it.

View PostS1man, on 21 May 2018 - 07:30 AM, said:

If you experience crashes in Solaris City map with config given in 1st post then remove line
e_ParticlesEmitterPoolSize = 2048

S1man saves the day. I removed that command from the main post, and from the direct download link.

Edited by Dillion Harper, 08 August 2018 - 09:59 AM.

#79 MechWarrior319348

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 997 posts

Posted 08 August 2018 - 12:37 PM

Oh and another thing for windows 10 users. Left click on the start button, go to "settings", click on "system", click on "display", in that tab, click on "graphics settings", browse for MWOClient.exe (C:/program files 86x/Pirhana Games/Mechwarrior Online/Bin 64/MWOClient.exe). After it is added, click on it, and select "Options", then select "High Performance".

There is one more tool I can think of right now that may help you in game. When you disable the hud, you gain 8-15 frames. The key binding for this feature is located in the in-game settings, listed as "Toggle UI". Bind it to a key that is easily accessible so you can toggle it quickly when needed. It will help when you get into a situation where your framerate is seriously floundering (like being smacked in the face with lrms for example), or if you are in a brawl and you know who the enemy is. Keep in mind that it will take away your radar, and target data, so.... don't accidentally shoot a teammate.

Also, I added some stuff in a post above this, dont miss that stuff either.

Edited by Dillion Harper, 08 August 2018 - 01:08 PM.

#80 Terrien

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 21 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHell, or Arizona.. hard to tell sometimes...

Posted 20 August 2018 - 02:18 PM

I cannot believe I have been playing MWO for this many years and have not come across this thread before. You guys got my FPS from a sketchy 17 to 40 to a steady 50 to 60 the whole match with just the Razer tool. You have no Idea what this means to me. Thank you for your hard work and deep dive on this topic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users