So We Are Getting A Cicada As Part Of The 2 Year Anniversary.....

95 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Sawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:06 AM

I will be honest. Never bothered with the Cicada.

So which 2 versions would you recommend to master? There is the sale on the X-5 at the moment. Worth 1500 MC?

Or maybe 2 of the other variants for C-BIlls.

Thank you in advance for helpful input!

#2 RedlineHunter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts
  • LocationGPS said I'm here, but I think I'm over there...

Posted 11 September 2015 - 05:58 AM

The Cicada is an underrated mech in my opinion. They are a bit squishy, but make up for it in maneuverability. The X-5 isn't that bad now that the tube count has been upped. I run mine with 4ml and 2 srm4s. The top cbill picks I think would be the 3M because of ECM and the 2b because of mpl quarks. I'd say pick up a cbill variant and try them out.

#3 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:09 AM

The 3M was my first ´Mech to break 1k dmg in it - 2 ER Large for Ecm sniping goodness + 2 Mlas for when the enemy comes close.

#4 Nightshade24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:19 AM

the one with an ER PPC and 4 machine guns is always quite fun, literally impossible to over heat in. And matches up with the stock load out of the special one coming in. So could be nice for practice.

#5 John1352

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:28 AM

The Cicada we get for loyalty buying stuff is going to absolutely FLY. It may even out jump the Spider 5V. I already have 3, so I'll be able to only work on the new one.

#6 Tastian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 768 posts
  • LocationLayton, UT USA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

I enjoy my X-5. I run it almost stock. The 3M is an obvious choice because of ECM.

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:35 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 11 September 2015 - 06:28 AM, said:

The Cicada we get for loyalty buying stuff is going to absolutely FLY. It may even out jump the Spider 5V. I already have 3, so I'll be able to only work on the new one.

I hadn't thought about how crazy the jump distance must be. The VND-1AA already jumps 70 m with six Class IV JJ's. CDA-3F gets eight, and weighs five tons less. 100 m +?

#8 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:38 AM

Cicada 40 tonner with 8 jumpjets will not out jump a Spider 30 tonner with 12 jumpjets...

#9 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 11 September 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

So which 2 versions would you recommend to master? There is the sale on the X-5 at the moment. Worth 1500 MC?

3m is mandatory. The X-5 is good especially given the 30% cbill bonus. But the 2A and 2B are my favorites. 2a uses 6 ml and 2B uses 5mpl so it depends on whether you like pulses or ml better which one you get. My stats are basically equal in both.

#10 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 11 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

CDA was the first mech I bought with my Cadet Bonus about...2.5 years ago? Something like. They were surprisingly fun prior to quirks, now they kind of have a niche, if you play them right. As for which two you should get, I recommend the following:

CDA 2A: 6ML, AMS (the AMS helps from Clan Streakboats, but you can dump it and the half-ton of ammo for another HS. Group the MLs in two groups of 3 and you won't overheat too often)

CDA-2A

CDA 3M: 2ERLL, 1ML, 1TAG, ECM (of course the ECM CDA is a no-brainer. I build mine a little off the norm and this mech make a great cool-running sniper platform. In CW, when I dropped this as a first mech, it usually lasted well into the match.)

CDA-3M

#11 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

The Cicada is a sub-par mech.

2A is the best overall c-bill variant, 2B is meh, 3C is garbage and 3M is good. X-5 seems pointless since you will be getting a 3F with earnings boost.

Between the Blackjack and the Jenner you can run a lot of the loadouts on other mechs.

#12 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:41 AM

I have never dropped into a cw match without a cicada (2a or 3m) and they tend to be my best performers in CW...so they are not bad mechs, they just aren't meta and probably aren't for everyone. But, if you like light mechs chances are good you will enjoy Cicadas.

#13 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:51 AM

Cicadas are some of my favourite mechs. I love my 3M with just 2x LPL.

View Postjss78, on 11 September 2015 - 06:35 AM, said:

I hadn't thought about how crazy the jump distance must be. The VND-1AA already jumps 70 m with six Class IV JJ's. CDA-3F gets eight, and weighs five tons less. 100 m +?

View PostNightshade24, on 11 September 2015 - 06:38 AM, said:

Cicada 40 tonner with 8 jumpjets will not out jump a Spider 30 tonner with 12 jumpjets...

I did the math and with all eight jumpjets it should reach a height of 104m, exactly the same as the SDR-5V with twelve jumpjets. It's because they recently buffed all jumpjets in the game except light mechs. Also, the Cicada is the lightest mech in its class, while the Spider isn't. So the Cicada gets more hops per jet. 13.04m each if my calculations are correct. Time will tell. =]

Edited by Tarogato, 11 September 2015 - 08:53 AM.

#14 Tom Sawyer

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 1,384 posts
  • LocationOn your 6

Posted 11 September 2015 - 09:02 AM

Thanks everyone

I will grab a 2a and 3M after I finish my maulers. Hmm double XP weekend, looks like its pugland for a bit more. Sorry CW its backburner yet again for you.

#15 MerryIguana

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 627 posts
  • LocationLurksville

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:40 AM

View PostSpheroid, on 11 September 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

2A is the best overall c-bill variant, 2B is meh, 3C is garbage and 3M is good. X-5 seems pointless since you will be getting a 3F with earnings boost.

Interesting. I had heard the 2b was really good. At least i remember alot of hoopla after it got those pulse quirks. i dont own em.

#16 Dulahan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 361 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:45 AM

View PostMerryIguana, on 11 September 2015 - 10:40 AM, said:

Interesting. I had heard the 2b was really good. At least i remember alot of hoopla after it got those pulse quirks. i dont own em.

Yeeeeah.... he's flat out wrong. The 2B is a freaking monster. 340XL engine, 5 MPLs that have a super fast duration with all the mods and mastery. No kidding this is basically an AC30 the Pulse is so quick. And it's fast. You will not have trouble getting behind people in this. Hands down one of my best mechs.

The 2A is great too, longer range, same rough damage, just requires holding on target. IIRC runs slightly cooler too, but the duration is longer so a bit harder to get that 30 damage pinpoint, which is why it's a TOUCH weaker to me.

Honestly, can't go wrong with either though. :) All I'm arguing here is he's wrong about the 2B being 'meh,'

EDIT: And while he makes the point the Jenner is basically the same loadout. The armor difference is tremendous somehow. It's the only reason I can think of for why I just plain cannot play a Jenner to save my life, but can rock the casbah in a Cicada with the same loadout.

Edited by Dulahan, 11 September 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#17 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:54 AM

View PostDulahan, on 11 September 2015 - 10:45 AM, said:

Yeeeeah.... he's flat out wrong. The 2B is a freaking monster. 340XL engine, 5 MPLs....

Indeed. The 2B is far and away the best CDA now. 340 is overkill on the engine, 300 is the CDA sweetspot, though.

@OP: 2B and 3M would be my clear choices. The 2A is so-so, the 3C is a stunt and the X-5 is alright but probably not worth $ just to master the others. (I have mastered them all and more FWIW).

#18 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 September 2015 - 10:57 AM

I'd hedge your bets, though. The rebalance is hitting PTS today and we might have completely different quirks on Cicadas.

#19 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

View PostTarogato, on 11 September 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

I'd hedge your bets, though. The rebalance is hitting PTS today and we might have completely different quirks on Cicadas.

That's kindof why I recommended the 3M. ECM and decent hard points...it's not the best now, but it's always been alright.

#20 IraqiWalker

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

View PostTom Sawyer, on 11 September 2015 - 05:06 AM, said:

3M with ECM and lasers/PPC/ERPPCs

and the 2A with 6 MLs, or the 2B with 5 MPLs

I can confidently say that the 3M with PPCs is solid, and the 2B is a real monster.

I'm also very excited for the 3F, because it's the first Cicada with JJs. 8 of them too. This thing will fly higher than any other mech in the game.

Edited by IraqiWalker, 11 September 2015 - 11:15 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users