19 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

The BK has a flipping backpack that can be shot from the side, especially if you shield with your left arm. The arms aren't even good for shielding, the right arm is just ok. /sigh this causes me great sadness.

#2 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

Yeah, I'm done pre-ordering.

The BK leaves me very disappointed.

#3 TwentyOne

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 477 posts
  • LocationI pay more to use less water. Cali.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:44 PM

Why couldn't they just make it the new best 75 ton mech. Whats wrong with finally having a new top dog? Why does it always have to be the same **** OP clan mechs since they came out.

#4 Scout Derek

• The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:47 PM

View PostTwentyOne, on 22 September 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Why couldn't they just make it the new best 75 ton mech. Whats wrong with finally having a new top dog? Why does it always have to be the same **** OP clan mechs since they came out.

Posted Image

Clan tech was always better than IS.

But not my say-so on why IS tech = Clan Tech isn't so right now.

#5 Blue Boutique

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 481 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:03 PM

You didn't notice it was there when you bought it?

#6 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:31 PM

it needs a backpack to keep all its infotech inside of

#7 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

I knew it was there.... I was just hoping it wouldn't be solo big or that at least it'd still be mostly hidden by the arms.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:42 PM

Catch 22 situation for me. I wanted the BK to compete with the TBR, but I don't like it when the mechs behind a pay wall are the new Tier 1 mechs.

But yeah, the meta is getting really stale. The BK is just a subpar laservomit mech without ECM or jump jets. And it towers above the TBR like an oaf.

It is pretty though. I'll give them that. Beautiful, but not very useful. Like some trophy wife.

#9 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:44 PM

Russ tweeted when the TWolf was released that it was designed to be better than an Option or any other IS Heavy. Intended that way.

Balance is being held back by those who think "Iconic" Timberwolves have to be the best in-game Mech.

#10 Red Shrike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:48 PM

View PostScout Derek, on 22 September 2015 - 01:47 PM, said:

Posted Image

Clan tech was always better than IS.

But not my say-so on why IS tech = Clan Tech isn't so right now.

Ah, that show. I love it, despite being a poor portrayal of Battletech.
It's also the biggest reason why I got myself that Wolfhound pack.

#11 Suko

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

Yeah, I'm with you. I'm sick of clans always being OP. Even back in closed beta they were OP. I wish some other mech could be at the top for once, like the Catapult K2 or the STK! That would be a fresh change of pace.
<SARCASM OFF>

#12 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:52 PM

the problem is PGI wants it both ways.

They want clan tech to be better like in battletech canon but they also want 1:1 balance. PGI cant have both. They have to pick one or the other.

if clan tech is going to be better then they need to balance the game 12v10 or simply by giving clans 20 less tons in their drop deck (which works out to 240 less tons per team, the same as 12v10)

and if clan tech is going to be a sidegrade of sorts to IS tech then it cant be outright better. it needs to have tradeoffs that make it equal but different.

personally i think 12v10 wouldve been the more interesting route to go... 3 lances vs 2 stars. PGI said their matchmaker wasnt compatible but its not like their matchmaker works anyway.

Edited by Khobai, 22 September 2015 - 02:57 PM.

#13 WVAnonymous

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 1,691 posts
  • LocationEvery world has a South Bay. That's where I am.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

Yes, you can't have 12 superior on 12 inferior. Where's the batchall?

#14 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:16 PM

I hope the timeline gets moved up soon. The closer the technology, the easier things'll be to balance.

The Twolf can be the best mech, that's ok. We just need a similar mech that can compete or be better in certain circumstances, something.

I was hoping the BK would get quirks to make it T2 but it looks low T3 or even 4. :(

#15 Impyrium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

View PostProsperity Park, on 22 September 2015 - 02:44 PM, said:

Russ tweeted when the TWolf was released that it was designed to be better than an Option or any other IS Heavy. Intended that way.

Balance is being held back by those who think "Iconic" Timberwolves have to be the best in-game Mech.

Well the thing is with the Timber Wolf, and I quote:

"The Timber Wolf is vastly more powerful than either the Marauder or the Catapult... the idea that a heavy 'Mech could move so swiftly while being as heavily armed and armored as theTimber Wolf was inconceivable."

The Timber Wolf was designed from the get-go as one of the, if not the, best 'mechs available at the time. You might say, hey, this isn't TT, this is a competitive shooter, we don't need to follow those rules! You'd be right, except that this game was never designed to be a balanced competitive shooter since balance originally came from value. And 'mechs are brought into MWO with their initial stats and core elements intact, which means that, it's going to be damn good.

There's a lot of ways it could be brought back down, as well as other Clan 'mechs, but many of those things are going to cause intense bitching sessions on the forums so... I'd not want to be their community manager at the time.

Edited by Dingo Red, 22 September 2015 - 03:28 PM.

#16 Ordin Hall

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:54 PM

Literally asking for powercreep.

#17 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 23 September 2015 - 11:50 AM

I would actually argue that the "backpack" increases its back CT profile significantly and needlessly.

#18 Captain Artemis

• PipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostKhobai, on 22 September 2015 - 02:52 PM, said:

the problem is PGI wants it both ways.

They want clan tech to be better like in battletech canon but they also want 1:1 balance. PGI cant have both. They have to pick one or the other.

if clan tech is going to be better then they need to balance the game 12v10 or simply by giving clans 20 less tons in their drop deck (which works out to 240 less tons per team, the same as 12v10)

and if clan tech is going to be a sidegrade of sorts to IS tech then it cant be outright better. it needs to have tradeoffs that make it equal but different.

personally i think 12v10 wouldve been the more interesting route to go... 3 lances vs 2 stars. PGI said their matchmaker wasnt compatible but its not like their matchmaker works anyway.

Plus info target sharing only for Inner Sphere only, or just make it worse on the Clan side - to just imitate the C3 Computer.

#19 Lorian Sunrider

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,176 posts
  • LocationCochrane, Alberta

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

Personally I just think its an ugly mech in game. The screen shots are one thing but when you turn a corner and there is an enemy Black Knight, it just looks meh.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users