Damage Indicator Shows Rear As "rl" Instead Of "lr"

11 replies to this topic

#1 Bobman

• PipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 01:02 PM

This should actually be swapped to LR; it's a really small thing but I looked at it and was confused for quite some time! The enemy's indicator is RL, LR, so it couldn't have been that, either.

Posted Image

Edited by Bobman, 11 October 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#2 IceHawk00

• PipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 30 posts
  • LocationEllwood City, PA

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:27 AM

CANNOT UNSEE!!! Good eye, mate!

#3 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:10 AM

The damage display is positioned like that so that it more accurately reflects how it appears to you.

Example:
If you are looking at the mech from the front, the left damage is shown as being to your left. This makes it so you can quickly attack and disable the mech by shooting your guns to your left.
The back is reverse (as you've noticed) so that, when you are behind them, you would see that you have to shoot at your right (what was once left to you from the front) to disable that component.

It sounds confusing, but it's actually rather simple. It makes better for quick decision making, even if it isn't "Proper" in format. (It's like stage Left may be the actors right when they are facing the audience, but it's the audiences left. Same concept.)

Edit: Looking at what you phrased again... you may be right? We want the mech's right and left to be our target's right and left. But it's showing us the mech as our left and right? Hum. I can see some testing on this...

Edit: I thought you where talking about target damage displays....
So... It appears as though the popup help tab is slightly incorrect. Good eyes. (I mistook what you were saying.) They appeared to have just taken the same image as the target data and copy pasted into the player's damage display popup.

Edited by Tesunie, 10 October 2015 - 08:19 AM.

#4 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 08:35 AM

Wow....so that's what I've been doing wrong all this time....

#5 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 10 October 2015 - 09:37 AM

Friendly suggestion: Capitalize "RL," and "LR" in the title, and put them in quotes - it took me a few seconds to figure out what you were trying to say...

#6 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 10 October 2015 - 10:56 AM

Just another thing wrong with that pop-up! :P

It already doesn't quite look the same as our armor displays (seeing as it shows the damage to the head on the rear view in the pop-up), and this, which I completely overlooked myself ("oh, I don't need to learn about this stuff, I'm already familiar with it all"), is just something else that could possibly merit a slight redo. :P

#7 Bobman

• PipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 11:00 AM

View PostTesunie, on 10 October 2015 - 08:10 AM, said:

The damage display is positioned like that so that it more accurately reflects how it appears to you.

Example:
If you are looking at the mech from the front, the left damage is shown as being to your left. This makes it so you can quickly attack and disable the mech by shooting your guns to your left.
The back is reverse (as you've noticed) so that, when you are behind them, you would see that you have to shoot at your right (what was once left to you from the front) to disable that component.

It sounds confusing, but it's actually rather simple. It makes better for quick decision making, even if it isn't "Proper" in format. (It's like stage Left may be the actors right when they are facing the audience, but it's the audiences left. Same concept.)

Edit: Looking at what you phrased again... you may be right? We want the mech's right and left to be our target's right and left. But it's showing us the mech as our left and right? Hum. I can see some testing on this...

Edit: I thought you where talking about target damage displays....
So... It appears as though the popup help tab is slightly incorrect. Good eyes. (I mistook what you were saying.) They appeared to have just taken the same image as the target data and copy pasted into the player's damage display popup.

Not even that, you can't find this LR front and RL rear in the actual game itself (targetting or player's)

View PostVoid Angel, on 10 October 2015 - 09:37 AM, said:

Friendly suggestion: Capitalize "RL," and "LR" in the title, and put them in quotes - it took me a few seconds to figure out what you were trying to say...

Well, I tried capitalizing RL and LR but it was reformatted into "Rl" and "Lr." Quotes for next time is a good idea, thank you! Unfortunately, I cannot change the title of the thread after it's already been posted...

View PostWonderSparks, on 10 October 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

Just another thing wrong with that pop-up! :P

It already doesn't quite look the same as our armor displays (seeing as it shows the damage to the head on the rear view in the pop-up), and this, which I completely overlooked myself ("oh, I don't need to learn about this stuff, I'm already familiar with it all"), is just something else that could possibly merit a slight redo. :P

Wow, that is a good call too! I did not see that

Edited by Bobman, 10 October 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#8 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 10 October 2015 - 07:27 PM

View PostBobman, on 10 October 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

Not even that, you can't find this LR front and RL rear in the actual game itself (targetting or player's)

For me, when I tested this (which was before I made my edits), the Popup looked exactly like the target damage display (RL LR).

Just tested it now, and I got the same thing.
Posted Image

It's different from your picture. Don't ask why. Though I will note that the shapes of the example display does not match the displays actually in game. (Look at the popup arms/hands in comparison to the in game models.)

But yeah, still off... (just opposite for me?)

#9 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 October 2015 - 12:39 AM

View PostBobman, on 10 October 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

I cannot change the title of the thread after it's already been posted...

while editing, click the button at the bottom that says "more options" or "preview" or whatever it is.

#10 Bobman

• PipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 53 posts

Posted 11 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

View PostTesunie, on 10 October 2015 - 07:27 PM, said:

For me, when I tested this (which was before I made my edits), the Popup looked exactly like the target damage display (RL LR).

Just tested it now, and I got the same thing.
Posted Image

It's different from your picture. Don't ask why. Though I will note that the shapes of the example display does not match the displays actually in game. (Look at the popup arms/hands in comparison to the in game models.)

But yeah, still off... (just opposite for me?)

Seems like it was fixed, that is the target's data!
A mod also sent me confirmation via PM that they would fix it the next patch since the first post, which I forgot to mention... :P

View PostTarogato, on 11 October 2015 - 12:39 AM, said:

while editing, click the button at the bottom that says "more options" or "preview" or whatever it is.

Thanks! I got it.

Edited by Bobman, 11 October 2015 - 07:48 PM.

#11 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 12 October 2015 - 01:24 AM

Both is logic in it's way.

It is always in relation to your pilots position.

So your own mech is always havign the left on the left. because even your left bakc is on your left side form your point of view.

it is also in this logicused from opponent targeting

if you see your opponent from the front. his left is on YOUR right. if you see him from the back, its his left being left.

The only thing in which this logic fails is the legs/arms, because the opponents rear ragdoll does NOT show legs/arms status. So you have to gather the opponents status from those parts from the "facing" point of view and twist this in your brain when you stand behind an opponent.

it would be better for the opponents ragdoll to show the legdamage and armdamage as well on the rearview.

Pay attention to it bobman, your own status is always LR, LR. opponents one is RL, LR

Edited by Lily from animove, 12 October 2015 - 03:34 AM.

#12 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 12 October 2015 - 08:13 AM

View PostLily from animove, on 12 October 2015 - 01:24 AM, said:

-snip-

Yeah, logic and all that, it's true and good to know, but...
Did you even pay attention to the picture in the OP? The damage indicator in the pop-up was not displaying ANYTHING like it should! :P
"LR" for the front view and "RL" for the rear view? That's totally backwards for the enemy, and the rear view should be identical to the front view if it was for the pilot's own 'Mech! (Not to mention, again, the head damage indication is not supposed to be visible on the rear view) :ph34r:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users