How Is The Pilot Skill Rating (Psr) And Tier Level Determined?

219 replies to this topic

#1 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hi all,

How is the Pilot Skill Rating (PSR) and tier level determined?
Is tier 1 the best players and tier 5 the worst?
I noticed this "PSR" after I did a patch today.

I searched these forums and did a Google search to find this answer but all that I really came across is if this info should be public or not.

Thanks!

Edited by Blue Pheonix, 22 September 2015 - 02:26 PM.

#2 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

same way the last tournament was determined... RNG

#3 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:30 PM

5 is the worst and 1 is the best. Change seems to be mostly based on win loss with a chance to move or stay the same in a loss if you do really really well.

Edited by XX Sulla XX, 22 September 2015 - 02:39 PM.

#4 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:34 PM

Nobody really knows for sure

PSR is a combination of an Elo and match score system. If you win well your PSR goes up, if you lose well its hurts your PSR less. If you win but get a low match score your PSR K-factor moves up less or perhaps none.

Im guessing the tiers are broken into percentiles but how its all really done is unclear.

#5 Moonlight Grimoire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 941 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

PSR is based off of two things, your match score and if you win or not. If you win and do well (looks like around +150 match score) you will gain a bit in that PSR bar. T4 is where new players are dumped, T5 is where new players who don't grasp the game in a few matches go. So if you continue to Win and Do Well, you will rise, but, it gets harder as your Tier increases to do well with the same play style as more and more meta will be well executed and you have less chances to punish bad play.

#6 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM

Well, while I still fairly new to Mechwarrior Online, I am not completely new.
I have been playing for aprox about 6 months now, ballpark. Maybe more, maybe less.

My PSR says I am a tier 5 so I must really suck or the system/rating is really messed up.

I actually consider myself a good player. I mostly run lights (Jenners) though and have since I started. While I died a lot in the beginning while I was still learning the game, I usually:

- score around 300-500 on my match scores.
- I target and hold targets for LRMs
- I get points for scouting multiple targets
- I usually last the whole round or am among the last 3-4 to die
(which is easy to do if your team is being "spanked" and everyone starts targeting the last who are left).
- I usually do around 300-700 damage per round (so I am not just hanging back to survive). I could do more in my Oxide if it had more ammo.

With these things being true, I am confident I am not a tier 5 quality player if indeed tier 5 is the worst and tier 1 is the best.
I honestly play a lot now and would have thought I am more in line with high tier 1 through low tier 3. Somewhere in there. I believe I am top 1/3 and am really confident I am at least top half. This is why I ask the question because this is so shocking to me. I know I am truly not among the group of the worst players in the game. The ones who don't really know what they are doing yet. I am so confident of this that I would be willing to bet money on this.

Edited by Blue Pheonix, 22 September 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#7 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

Seeing how all the names changed, in-game, with the patch, I'm thinkin' we where seeded by that last contest …

#8 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

This makes the most sense because I am telling you, I am so confident I am not tier 5. I may not be tier 1 but I know I am not among those who do not know the game. I could not possibly be doing the stats and things I am doing in the game and be tier 5 (worst in the game).

#9 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

With these things being true, I am confident I am not a tier 5 quality player if indeed tier 5 is the worst and tier 1 is the best.
I honestly play a lot now and would have thought I am more in line with high tier 1 through low tier 3.

From the impression I am getting after today's patch, I think you have to try to get to tier 5. It isn't easy to get there...

#10 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:04 PM

Mister,

That why I ask. =)

Because every single person I have asked in matches today says tier 1 is the best and 5 is the worst. You are the first to say otherwise. Its just so shocking to me. That's why I wished Piranha, a mod or someone who knows for a fact can post on this topic. I seem to be getting different answers and by going through this forum and doing Google searches, I still do not really have an definite answer, just people opinions. Like I said before though, I am fairly new at Mehwarrior Online. I appreciate all of your answers so far. Please continue to post if you have an definitive answer. Maybe the answer really is I suck so bad and that I am the best at the people who suck, so I actually think I am really good. lol.

One would think I would move up a tier level then though... scratches head.

Edited by Blue Pheonix, 22 September 2015 - 03:09 PM.

#11 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:14 PM

108 score + cap win = green arrow

#12 Throat Punch

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 874 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNC, Terra

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

Win loss seems to factor into the PSR calculations (for some stupid reason). When I get a win, regardless of match performance, I get a green arrow. When I lose again regardless of performance I get a red arrow. I thought PSR was supposed to be a measure of individual skill, and If so why would W/L have any factor in it going up or down. If i do spectacular, but the TEAM loses my individual Pilot Skill Rating should reflect my skill, not the team's performance.

#13 Murcheson

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

It is interesting - but no entirely surprising that PGI has released the tier system without the simplest explanation - like which way is up?

I suspect that someone at PGI derives perverse joy out of watching the machinations of players trying to sort things out without sufficient information.

It is stuff like this that convenience me that MWO is a grand sociology project - creating scenarios and noting the response of the subjects.

I am of course being charitable - they could simply be inept.

Edited by Murcheson, 22 September 2015 - 03:29 PM.

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:24 PM

View PostKhobai, on 22 September 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

same way the last tournament was determined... RNG

Actually kind of true to some extent, how many people got lowered some from the horrendous matches when half their team refused to even try? I know the 20+ games I played on Monday nearly every one had at least 2 insta dc and 1-2 guys that made a b-line directly into the other team straight off. Wasn't much better even towards the end of Thursday night - glad I wasn't around for Fri-Sun.

#15 Thorqemada

• 6,366 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:27 PM

The number of matches you have played matters bcs if you play only a few matches you still do have a low Tier bcs you fail to meet the absolute requirements necessary.

Probably the higher Tiers Players have thousands of matches played in the timeframe PGI did use to determine the new PSR ranking originally.

#16 Eremes Zorn

• Pip
  • The Soviet
  • The Soviet
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNJ, USA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:42 PM

I don't have the link because I'm on mobile, but the way I read the explanation in the patch notes, it's determined by weighing your individual match score against whether your team wins or loses. What match score value determines "very well" and which is "poor" is not specified. I am pretty new, I'd say I started this past May or June, but I'm apparently in the upper half of Tier 3. I did notice that the one match I played tonight, which ended in victory with me only doing 300-some in my BJ-1DC, resulted in a PSR increase. Whether damage/kills/assists are also weighted against your teammates is an interesting question, as well. I dunno. I really want to play a losing match and get a decent match score (300-400?) to observe the net change in PSR. Something tells me there are kinks to work out as the system stands now, however.

#17 crashlogic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 318 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 03:58 PM

Tier seems to me to be a pretty pointless tool. The people who care about it will lord it over everyone, and those that don't keep playing. Since there is no way of knowing how tier is calculated there is no way to tell how to improve. Since winning and losing is entirely team dependent (if you disagree with this please see any thread on the DC issue in last event), putting people in lower tiers, when win/loss will simply keep them there (last match in viridian bog i got 690 damage and three assists...330 points and we lost 12-3). I was happy playing under the old ELO, I felt the matches were more even, I waited weeks for it to work out and I still doesn't. Tracking individual achievements in a team game is mostly meaningless..ask Dan Marino, or compare the manning superbowl rings).

Edited by crashlogic, 22 September 2015 - 03:59 PM.

#18 Blue Pheonix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 229 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:33 PM

I started keeping track of my stats via a spreadsheet last night on my PC because I am really shocked by my Tier 5 rating.

Here are my stats for the last 10 games and why I am so shocked I am tier 5 (the tier with the weakest/worst/least experienced players). Please take note of my "lance position" and my team position". Although my teams lost a lot (overall) last night and I would usually survive towards the end, I would say that last night was neither an exceptional night nor was it a poor night with my performance. It really was a good "snapshot average night" I believe". I would say that with me being constantly at the top of the lance and team on a regular basis they would bump me to a higher tier. I am going to keep playing this game regardless but, like everyone else, I would like to improve as well. I would like to know what constitutes a tier 5 vs. the other tiers and with what category(s) should I improve in?

Are these low stats for a Jenner Oxide?

I will play 10 straight matches again tonight, record them on my spreadsheet and list the results here (no padding of stats - just 10 straight and the honest numbers). Hopefully tonight I will get more team wins then losses like last night as this would definitely improve my stats each round and my overall averages.

The following are my averages over 10 matches for each category in a Jenner Oxide:

Score I Kills I Assists I Damage I My lance position I My position on my team I Survived I Won/Lost I
289.8--I-1.3---I---3.3-----I---414.8---I----------1.7------------I---------2.6666667-------------I---4/12-----I------4/8-----I

Edited by Blue Pheonix, 23 September 2015 - 08:07 PM.

#19 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 03:44 PM

it cant even be said if 5 is the worst and 1 is the best,
as PSR seems mostly based on Damage, not scouting and such so,...
(Role Warfair < Damage) this is why some tactical players are Teir3-4,

Edit-
@Blue Pheonix
dont feel bad, i try everything i can to help my team win,
talk on Voip, Flank, Push, Target Call, Scout, be all of those things arnt damage,
so my Teir is barely 4 almost 5, MatchScore and Rewards have to be reworked,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 23 September 2015 - 03:47 PM.

#20 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:54 PM

View PostBlue Pheonix, on 22 September 2015 - 02:54 PM, said:

The following are my averages over 10 matches for each category in a Jenner Oxide:

Score I Kills I Assists I Damage I My lance position I My position on my team I Survived I Won/Lost I
289.8--I-1.3---I---3.3-----I---414.8---I----------1.7------------I---------2.6666667-------------I---4/12-----I-----4/12-----I

You've gotta raise your win/loss ratio. It's still the biggest factor that will affect your PSR (a loss is effectively a -300 to your match score in terms of raising/lowering PSR). I'd suggest talking to your team, telling them to stay with the assaults and giving them any scouting information you get.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users