6 replies to this topic

#1 FuzzyKismet

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 04:23 PM

I'm going through the tutorial now. I'll make notes as I go:

After holding F1, the keyboard image pops up, but there are several keys that are highlighted but undefined.
What do E and R do? What do F, X, and C do? Space looks like it might control Heat Vision at first glance. Also, isn't it Thermal mode? I think I got mocked once for calling it "Heat"

In the Movement section, X for Stop would be a really good one to know.

Weapon Control: Step 6 is "Unlock Arms: Hold Unbound while firing" I thought I had the default keys mapped for that... I'm guessing this is because I have the toggle set and not "hold". In fact, I'm pretty sure it was. I had to go into my control settings and set something for "Unlock Arms".
All the destructibles are nice!

Once in Command & Control:
The switching 'mech animation was great! But when I got into the Jester, there was no HUD. I powered down and back up again, and things were fine.

Targeting Practice: Can't figure out how to get the "Alpha Strike Kill" box to check, despite killing things with Jester Alpha Strikes. My guess is that I also need to fire the AMS, and of course it is not. I cancelled out.
Switched to the Firebrand - no HUD again. Powered down, powered up. HUD is fine.

I started shooting a one-legged Blackjack in the legs (with the Firebrand), and it did side torso damage. I can't hit it in the remaining leg, even aiming at the feet. I tried walking around to the "good leg" side and everything. Ended up killing it with torso damage.

Couldn't get Alpha Strike to check off in the Firebrand, either. Nor back in the Thunderbolt. (Thunderbolt also didn't have HUD) I was Alpha Striking with \

Gauntlet, Rapid Fire, and Running Cored:
Is there an end to this? Or am I just that bad that I'm not reaching it?
Still, good skills for all of those.

A suggestion about what to do when you're done trying the things would be good. I thought he'd tell me to leave once I'd tried all the activites.
Switching 'mechs is a pain - sometimes couldn't target them, seemed to be related to standing on the emblem on the ground (or not standing on it).

Overall, it's pretty good. Reminds me a lot of the old ones I've done in other games. It teaches some very key core skills. I have no idea how the Atlas got on top of that building, though.

#2 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:16 AM

Mechswapping is activated by standing on the emblem.
Yes, not so easy in first person.... will consider visual/audio feedback

#3 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:21 AM

No idea how mech swapping works. For me when I stand on the emblem it says press (unbound) to swap. Maybe I already have the key in use for something else.

Regarding the alpha strike box, you need to press an alpha strike button (default is "\"), not just press the different weapon groups all at the same time. I had to re-bind that for the tutorial. I usually leave alpha strike unbound, especially since the button is close to other keys in use. Alpha striking at the wrong time could mean shut down or crippling a teammate, and my hand isn't near \ during combat anyway.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 24 September 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#4 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:22 AM

The Mechswapper uses the 'Eject' key.

I'll change the wording to "Eject from your BattleMech (Press KEY) to Swap"

so people will know what key they have left unbound.

Thanks.

(I'll also changed the wording in the Target Practice objectives)

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:59 AM

All in all, it's pretty great - nice work on it.

#6 FuzzyKismet

• Pip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 07:45 AM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 24 September 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

No idea how mech swapping works. For me when I stand on the emblem it says press (unbound) to swap. Maybe I already have the key in use for something else.

Regarding the alpha strike box, you need to press an alpha strike button (default is "\"), not just press the different weapon groups all at the same time. I had to re-bind that for the tutorial. I usually leave alpha strike unbound, especially since the button is close to other keys in use. Alpha striking at the wrong time could mean shut down or crippling a teammate, and my hand isn't near \ during combat anyway.

I did actually use the \ key to Alpha Strike (because I know tutorials can be silly about things like that), and was killing things handily. I blasted through a few CTs, headshotted a few, and finished off a few in the way they were clearly intended (eg: legged 'mech with a damaged other leg), but could not get the checkbox to check.

Thanks Dave for the acknowlegement! It's good to know feedback is being read and processed.

#7 Raubwurst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

I've needed some time to get, that I really should use the "Alpha Strike" button to do this. After I made a kill via the button I got the checkbox checked. So the problem isn't there for everyone/always.

I have no idea what could cause such an error, but I have read somewhere here, that there is a known issue with button-recognition for non NA-keyboards. Maybe that has to do with the issue?
I have a german "qwertz"-keyboard and it works, what are the keyboards of people have problem with this?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users