Looks Like It's Time For Me To Punch Out. Oh-Seven, Folks.

67 replies to this topic

#21 KuroNyra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,990 posts
  • LocationIdiot's Crater.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:16 PM

I remember you. I used to dislike you greatly because our point diverged. Yet I don't really want to see you leaving. (Who's going to get into my crosshair now? :( )

Don't take seriously the guys with there E-peen. Heck, I'm also tier 4 and I'm having fun with it.

Because in the end, only Fun count in a video game.

#22 JohnnyWayne

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 September 2015 - 02:14 PM, said:

I've spent too much damn money on MWO to just flip a switch and turn it off because the Kristians of the world are being ponces.

Oh you met that guy too? He challenged me on a 1v1 and when I agreed he pretened I had declined his offer.

#23 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

View Postshad0w4life, on 23 September 2015 - 01:49 PM, said:

Paul on Reddit literally said that T2 T1 all requires massive amounts of games played, it's substantially geared towards playtime.

https://www.reddit.c..._to_settle_out/

again, anyone wanting to say they are good because they are T2 T1...may not be, they may just not care for human contact ;)

Well that means I truly suck then. :)

#24 Zordicron

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

Please do not leave the forums 1453 R. We need all the level headed non-inflamatory people we can muster to keep the place from burning down.

I have always enjoyed being in discussions with you, and have never found a post you made to be derogatory towards other player, whether you agree with them or not.

In short, you handle yourself like an adult, and we need that here to stay sane. I really hope you change your mind and hang out with us.

#25 The Mech behind you

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationGermany, Northern Baden-Württemberg

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

OP, don't worry too much about the Tier system. It's new and everyone takes it for the holy grail of skill measurement while it's as flawed as the previous ones.

Look, I'm barely in Tier 3 and about to drop back into Tier 4 because I started to skill a new mech ...basic skills... every mech sucks in its basics. My KDR is 1.06, my WLR is 1.12 so being at low T3 doesn't make sense by those stats. It should be somewhere at T3 60% towards Tier 2. I have seen posts from T5 guys with a positive KDR / WLR!

So by my Tier I'm barely better than a new player who as stated by PGI starts in the upper T4. Now I have thousands of drops of experience. I might have a bad aim and I like skilling up non-meta mechs, but I know every map and can predict where the enemy is going to pop up or how a battle is turning out.

I'm always heading towards the weak spots in our line. Even if it's suicide. I don't care about surviving. I only care about winning. Heck I even attack a group of enemy mechs alone in case they're about to run over my team and I see a chance to halt their push for long enough so that my team can regroup or turn around to deal with that push. Or flanking and distracting 3+ mechs and make them chase me. I know I'm dead and my participation by damage dealt or kills will be low but pulling off 3+ mechs from the front line might grant my team a victory.

However this isn't rewarded by the Tier system at all. For the Tier system I'm just bad because I die early and without kills or just because I'm in an unskilled mech or non-meta mech and can't compete with mastered meta mechs.

Now as I said I have thousands of drops and my Tier is barely better than a beginners one. What about that guy that is new, maybe 100 drops, and he just copy & paste the next best meta-mech and drives it exclusively. He will pass my Tier level in no time.

Now about that scenario where the other team pushes. That new guy might also just stay with the group even knowing when the opfor pushes and use the team as a meat shield to get one or two more kills before he gets rolled over.

By the Tier sytem he's clearly the better player ...one could say he did the right thing? I doubt it.

That's just one example why I can't take the Tier system seriously. And you shouldn't too. And don't care about people who don't take you serious because of your Tier level. Since when is the aiming skill in a video game and a preference for a specific playstyle (meta mechs) an indicator for a good post or opinion ???

I doubt most of the upper Tier players that are also experienced would judge the quality of a post or the poster by his Tier level.

TL,DR:
Screw the new Tier system. Keep posting whatever you want and don't care about those that judge posts by the posters Tier level.

#26 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

OP, what tier you're in has nothing to do with the validity of your knowledge nor with the weight of your opinion.

Edited by Yellonet, 23 September 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#27 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 23 September 2015 - 02:41 PM

actually the system makes a great filter

anytime someone uses your tier # as a reason to dismiss you, you can just put that peson on your block list

Consider it MWO forums version of Windows' UAC

#28 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:32 PM

I'd advise you to stick around, unfortunately you are a Tier 4 scumbag and beneath my attention.

Sorry, but I just wanted to try that out to see how it makes me feel. Didn't help at all, but I suppose to those with nothing else significant going on in their lives, being a high tier in a niche game is a huge accomplishment and I shouldn't begrudge them a little joy in their lifes.

Even if they are idiots.

It's inevitable that there are going to be those who make it their business to let you know that they are "of a higher tier" than us. Matter of fact I predicted less than 24 hours til it began, and I think it happened almost immediately.

The thing to keep in mind is that, yes, you may be tier 2 or Tier 1 in the game but you are tier 5 in my life.

FYI.....anyone can still still my siggy if they share my opinion. I might even personalize it if you ask nicely in a PM.

Edited by TLBFestus, 23 September 2015 - 04:33 PM.

#29 Aiden Skye

• Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:42 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 23 September 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Having a low to mid tier doesn't invalidate your opinions on the game — If anything it makes them more relevant, in many cases.

Anyone that uses their tier level to try to assert that their opinion is more important than yours is a giant d-bag.

Idk if you noticed but this game and gaming in general is full of trolls and a wide assortment of D-bags.

#30 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 04:47 PM

View Post1453 R, on 23 September 2015 - 12:59 PM, said:

However, I’ve already seen evidence of what anyone with two neurons camping out in their cranial cavity knew was coming with this public tier listing stuff – the scorning and dismissal of anyone unable to prove at least T2 ranking. Even now, with what is effectively ‘private’ tier listings, screenshots of one’s (high) tier rating are starting to become mandatory prior to participating in discussions of the game – outside, of course, of threads wherein the objective is complaining about their low tier rating. Once public tier listings go into effect…well.

Aren't you taking it too seriously? :huh:

I personally saw nothing of the sort about requiring someone to have high tier in order to participate in a discussion.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 September 2015 - 10:14 PM.

#31 Tiger Dad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 176 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:19 PM

1453 R-if you do go, I will miss you. I played with you rarely but I loved your posts. Come back when you feel ready. You will always be welcome.

#32 Cerberias

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 228 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:21 PM

Anyone who thinks tier list means anything other than better aim and better mech choices is an idiot. T1 players are just as strategically illiterate as the rest of you puggies.

#33 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:47 PM

Man why would you even care?
Just enjoy the game.
Anyone who crows over achievements in a video game have really small epee.
And should seek some seriously medical and psychological help.
Posted Image

#34 mindwarp

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 250 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 07:56 PM

Hey, tier 3/4 is a good place to be. That's where all the people playing for fun are. And where all the variety is. It's where we see "weaker" mechs just because people like them. Hell, I've even seen guys driving stock mechs. And not newbs out for their first time, people who just like driving stock. And there's much less meta builds around. And most importantly, there's no self appointed dictators saying "if you're not driving one of these 3 or 4 mechs in these particular builds, you suck and should stop playing"

#35 GRiPSViGiL

• The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:42 PM

View PostEldagore, on 23 September 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Please do not leave the forums 1453 R. We need all the level headed non-inflamatory people we can muster to keep the place from burning down.

I have always enjoyed being in discussions with you, and have never found a post you made to be derogatory towards other player, whether you agree with them or not.

In short, you handle yourself like an adult, and we need that here to stay sane. I really hope you change your mind and hang out with us.

People are toxic because PGI is making us that way. Is it our fault the game is on a treadmill with minimal improvements? CW? Balance? All we have is team death match over three years later no matter the game mode.

#36 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:58 PM

View PostcSand, on 23 September 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

lol

just gonna drop this here

http://mwomercs.com/...hat-doubted-me/

That's the only person I've seen doing anything of the sort. If all it takes is one person to act like that for 1453 R to leave, maybe he should check out the rest of the internet...he might be in for a shock lol.

#37 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:10 PM

However, I’ve already seen evidence of what anyone with two neurons camping out in their cranial cavity knew was coming with this public tier listing stuff – the scorning and dismissal of anyone unable to prove at least T2 ranking. Even now, with what is effectively ‘private’ tier listings, screenshots of one’s (high) tier rating are starting to become mandatory prior to participating in discussions of the game – outside, of course, of threads wherein the objective is complaining about their low tier rating. Once public tier listings go into effect…well.

And this particular part of the tier system sucks. It's a better indicator of performance than KDR, but, IMHO, it's still too general. As long as you have a positive W/L, you probably will get to tier 1 eventually, even if you're only slightly above average.

Your tier depends more on volume and consistency than anything else.

This means that experimentation is probably detrimental to tier progression, persevering with levelling mechs you don't enjoy is detrimental to tier progression, and playing lighter mechs or those geared for tasks other than straight up damage dealing is detrimental to tier progression. Even in a defeat it's easy to throw out decent damage if you're piloting a DireWolf or a MadCat, making these mechs far better insulated against tier loss in a defeat - yet the same can't be said for mediums or lights, which are far more feast or famine.

Unless you've played thousands of games, your tier probably doesn't reflect how good you really are anyway.

I guess what i'm trying to say is that I don't think a lower tier is indicative of your true ability, and it has nothing to do with the validity of your opinions. I think the tier system is more of an indication of progression and competence rather than player skill. I'm tier 1, and I know there are far better players out there than me.

Edited by Kiiyor, 23 September 2015 - 09:12 PM.

#38 Evan20k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tyrant
  • The Tyrant
  • 491 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

I'm tier 2 and badverage. Anyone who's seen me ingame can attest to this. The system isn't perfect and throwing your tier around as if it has weight in an argument is only marginally better than invoking Godwin's Law in trying to establish a superior position in an argument.

#39 Victorion

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

See you ‘round, forumites. Heh…just not in-game.

Ok, this logically makes no sense to me.

You're quitting playing the game... because you're unhappy with how people are behaving on the forums?

#40 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 23 September 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 23 September 2015 - 01:20 PM, said:

Having a low to mid tier doesn't invalidate your opinions on the game — If anything it makes them more relevant, in many cases.

Anyone that uses their tier level to try to assert that their opinion is more important than yours is a giant d-bag.

What tier should validate or invalidate are your opinions about certain aspects of the game. A Tier 4 player knows more about low tier experiences, whereas a Tier 1 knows more about higher tier experiences. And it's not as if any opinions outside of game balance are really affected. I don't really know what OP is talking about, I haven't seen anything like what they're talking about.

You can try looking at other communities, like the MWO Subreddit.

Like most official game forums, the MWO official forum is considered less productive for discussion than most.

Edited by Krivvan, 23 September 2015 - 09:21 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users