Alpha Strike Key

24 replies to this topic

#1 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 62 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 01:23 PM

I am playing on a laptop and the alpha strike key \ did not work, so i rebound the key to get it to work

#2 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 23 September 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostFulgar, on 23 September 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

I am playing on a laptop and the alpha strike key \ did not work, so i rebound the key to get it to work

Yeah I had the same problem. I'd actually unbound alpha strike because if I want to alpha on purpose I just hit all my mouse keys. I didn't want to do it accidentally.
That and the recenter keys were a problem but in both cases I was able to move forward by rebinding. Unfortunately in the case of arm lock that didn't do it, had to reset everything to defaults.

Oh and I am on a laptop as well. A kick butt gaming laptop, but a laptop nonetheless. I don't think that plays into this though.

Edited by Anachronda, 23 September 2015 - 08:08 PM.

#3 Codestar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 132 posts
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:57 AM

Playing on desktop PC with a Logitech wired keyboard model: Y-UY95.

Alpha key '\' did not work during tutorial. Rebind allowed me to progress.

Cheers

Codestar

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:18 AM

special characters are always an issue when a game does not have proper localisation with a language related keyconfigs or where those characters are not the keys primary function.

Posted Image

hard to alpha strike this.

Edited by Lily from animove, 24 September 2015 - 03:19 AM.

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:24 AM

Yeah - I'm on a PC, using the usual MS Keyboard, and had to bind it to "\" because when I'd hit that key, nothing would happen. Never had. So MWO thinks that the alpha strike key isn't "\". No idea what it's registering \ as, but it isn't \. Just rebind it to \.

#6 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:06 AM

View PostFulgar, on 23 September 2015 - 01:23 PM, said:

desktop, Logitech G110 keyboard, UK keyboard in windows 7, stock keyboard set up in MWO. exactly the same problem

Edited by Raggedyman, 24 September 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#7 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:06 AM

Helping a lot of new players in the german section i encountered a similar problem as Lily.
With the german "qwertz"-keyboard the alpha strike is on the "#" button.
Quite confusing and frustrating for new players, that cannot get past the step on the tutorial where you should alpha strike.
(I had to manualy explain to them, that the keys are set for the american keyboards and thus the button is somewhere else.
Don't know if/how players would make it through without the knowledge of different keyboards around the world (except for being frustrated enough to hit every key on the boatd once)

#8 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:11 AM

@Raubwurst

Let's try to track this down.

Internally, the Flowgraph (Cryengine's data flow scripting system) gets "Actions" not key presses. So it's looking for the "alpha strike" action not "/" or any other specific key.

If you hit the correct key (# in the German keyboard case) is the alpha strike triggered? If so, is the problem in the display of the correct key in the prompt?

If so, we have a way forward because the key display works the same way (the script requests the display of the key corresponding to the action) and it may not be defined properly.

#9 Kinski Orlawisch

• Galaxy Commander III
  • Galaxy Commander III
  • 2,282 posts
  • LocationHH

Posted 20 October 2015 - 08:15 AM

I just putted the Alpha strike to another buttom...and it worked. The setup can bee changed ingame. The default key was not possibel for my MK710 Keyboard.

#10 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

Yeah - when i did the Tutorial the german key for Alphastrike was "#" and it worked for me.

Afair it does not allways work that way and depends on the Keyboard, Game or Game-Engine, Windows Version, Language Setting, maybe even the Bios, so in the MWO case it could be that the Players simply have to push the button on the keyboard that sits on the place were the english "/" sits.

But i really dont know if this is true for all Languages and Windows versions etc.

Edited by Thorqemada, 20 October 2015 - 10:03 AM.

#11 Blalok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, Wisconsin

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:42 AM

I've had this same issue since the academy was on the PTS. Probably before then too, but I never use the alpha strike. MWO reads my \ key as ]. Plain as day when I try to rebind the key to its default. This is the only piece of software I have that does that.
I have (I believe) a standard US English keyboard / Windows / etc.

#12 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:51 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 20 October 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

@Raubwurst

Let's try to track this down.

Internally, the Flowgraph (Cryengine's data flow scripting system) gets "Actions" not key presses. So it's looking for the "alpha strike" action not "/" or any other specific key.

If you hit the correct key (# in the German keyboard case) is the alpha strike triggered? If so, is the problem in the display of the correct key in the prompt?

If so, we have a way forward because the key display works the same way (the script requests the display of the key corresponding to the action) and it may not be defined properly.

Hey there. Yes, if "#" is pushed the 'Mech does his alpha strike and it gets recognized correctly as killed with alpha strike/pushed the alpha strike button.
The problem is only to display the right key for keyboards with other layouts.

#13 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 01:42 PM

@Raubwurst

So the prompt on the objective is to hit "\"? What shows up in settings ("\" or a "#") before you change anything?

I'm an old unix guy, but there must be some windows library that provides this mapping so that we could display the correct key without doing a full localization pass....

#14 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 October 2015 - 02:20 PM

@Dave Forsey

Settings:
Posted Image

Objective:
Posted Image

And after hitting "#" on the Keyboard:
Spoiler

Hm. If there is such a lib (what I would guess), then I don't know it. Although I have experience in programming, I've been never confronted with an similar issue. (And my skills on c++ aren't that developed ^^)

Would be interested in hearing your solution, after you found it :)

#15 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:29 AM

Well, damn - that's just not something we can fudge.

About all we could do immediately is post/pin the appropriate key mappings to the forums.

#16 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 October 2015 - 09:47 AM

I think a lot of new players would miss the information if it were only on the forum and not ingame.
Maybe jus a little additional pop-up hinting something like "Alpha-Strike button may be found at an different position in case of non-english keyboards. Check the location of the button via F1"

#17 Thorqemada

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,366 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:00 AM

Cant you move Alpha Strike to "Backspace" bcs that is everywhere the same afaik and a key easy to recognize and hit.

Chainfire is not a "Hot Combat Action Key" and can be moved to another key + to the Mechlab Weapon Grouping Menu.

If no other Option simply switch the Keys of Chainfire and Alpha Strike.

Also i found that the Keyboard "Control Sheme" on the MWO Homepage has some wrong descriptions:
http://mwomercs.com/...raining-grounds

"Space" and "C" are not Throttle Down - Space = Jumpjets and C = Center Torso to Legs :)

Edited by Thorqemada, 21 October 2015 - 10:01 AM.

#18 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:04 AM

I have very little experience with non-NorthAm keyboards - is it always the exact corresponding key or are some swapped around?

If so, we could put a one-line notification (in multiple languages) in the default keyboard F1 popup explaining that.
(and probably put a warning about non-bound keys as well)

#19 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:14 AM

View PostDave Forsey, on 21 October 2015 - 10:04 AM, said:

I have very little experience with non-NorthAm keyboards - is it always the exact corresponding key or are some swapped around?

Sorry, I don't understand what you are meaning (my english has still some flaws)

As far as I know, if i got you right, there are many differences between german and na keyboards.
The alphabetical keys are the same with the exception of "y" and "z" exchanged. -> qwertz/yxcv in german, qwerty/zxcv on na

The special characters (e.g. second function of the numbers) are quite different. On the image which Lily has posted you can see it quite good:

View PostLily from animove, on 24 September 2015 - 03:18 AM, said:

Posted Image

#20 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

@Thorqemada

Changing any of the default mappings would not be straightforward - reworking the art and all the references, plus tracking down any knock-on effects - and objections from people who use the current default...

Thanks for letting us know about the stale image on the website - passed it on to the appropriate denizens....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users