Player Option To Disable All Tier Related Info

55 replies to this topic

#1 MechWarrior3671771

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:33 AM

Dearest PGI

Can we have the option to remove the Tier status screen in our mechbay?

I keep closing it, but its not persistent, so it pops up everywhere to remind me how much I suck at this game and that I should quit.

Same for the up/down indicator on the rewards screen. Its very frustrating when you have a good match and still see two red bars telling you how much you suck.

The whole Tier status thing is really turning me off of the game. I understand you need it to group players of similar skill. And I don't mind people chest-thumping or griefing others on the forums.

But I would like a way to hide the Tier indicator and up/down report in post-game screen so I don't have it rubbed in my face every time I log in to play. Its starting to ruin my enjoyment of the game.

Thanks.
Fen

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:42 AM

I don't remember getting offended by my Bronze ranking in LoL when I logged in after Season 1 ended, but each to his own, I guess. :huh:

PGI can probably do something about hiding the Tier rating in the mechbay, but hiding it in the end game screen is not gonna happen IMO.

Edited by El Bandito, 24 September 2015 - 02:44 AM.

#3 TexAce

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,861 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:45 AM

How about just dont give a ****?

Seriously, is it that hard to just ignore something?

Everyone is able to ignore LRM boats, so why would this be more difficult?

After the fix the windows will stay minimized, just wait until they roll it out.

#4 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:49 AM

"Seriously, is it that hard to just ignore something?"

When its rubbed in your face everytime you log on? Yes.

I think its going to result in a drop in player activity, and maybe even players leaving.

Edited by Fenrisulvyn, 24 September 2015 - 02:50 AM.

#5 Yellonet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:54 AM

If something like this bothers you you are taking the game too seriously...

#6 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:01 AM

View PostYellonet, on 24 September 2015 - 02:54 AM, said:

If something like this bothers you you are taking the game too seriously...

Aye. This.

You're playing a stompy shooty game with grown men and teenagers.

#7 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:03 AM

You don't find it frustrating to play a good match and get an "F" for it? I do.

#8 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:03 AM

sad to see how much effected your ego is by that.

I don't want to be offensive about that but maybe you should take good care of your self-confidence.
Maybe look for hobbies that do not frustrate you that much.

#9 GreyNovember

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,344 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:08 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 24 September 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:

Look at it this way.

Nobody has any solid, concrete evidence as to exactly how the tier system works outside of PGI.

You're upset that you're playing a game that you don't even know the rules to, and losing.

That doesn't sound off to you?

#10 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:09 AM

View PostGreyNovember, on 24 September 2015 - 03:08 AM, said:

Look at it this way.

Nobody has any solid, concrete evidence as to exactly how the tier system works outside of PGI.

You're upset that you're playing a game that you don't even know the rules to, and losing.

That doesn't sound off to you?

I like that point of view

#11 mike29tw

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:09 AM

You're suggestion has no merit until you prove that you are a tier 1 player.

#12 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:12 AM

I kinda agree with OP, this thought occurred to me as well. I think the PSR/Tier system is great for match making, but I might like getting no feedback at all about how well I'm performing vs. that system. I play strictly for fun, and just have no desire for performance metrics like that.

Just make it an option for those who'd prefer it that way?

Same reason why I took the computer off my bicycle, and no longer wear my heart-rate monitor -- I decided all that performance-related information isn't really relevant to me, so why clutter my riding experience with all that?

(For the record, my Tier was higher than I expected, so I'm not just being **tthurt over it.)

Edited by jss78, 24 September 2015 - 03:13 AM.

#13 Nightshade24

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 3,972 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:21 AM

I thought there was already an options in the menu to dissable it yourself?

#14 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:22 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 24 September 2015 - 02:33 AM, said:

Dearest PGI

Can we have the option to remove the Tier status screen in our mechbay?

I keep closing it, but its not persistent, so it pops up everywhere to remind me how much I suck at this game and that I should quit.

Same for the up/down indicator on the rewards screen. Its very frustrating when you have a good match and still see two red bars telling you how much you suck.

The whole Tier status thing is really turning me off of the game. I understand you need it to group players of similar skill. And I don't mind people chest-thumping or griefing others on the forums.

But I would like a way to hide the Tier indicator and up/down report in post-game screen so I don't have it rubbed in my face every time I log in to play. Its starting to ruin my enjoyment of the game.

Thanks.
Fen

The tier info screen state not persisting is mentioned as a known issue in the patch notes, and should be fixed by the next patch cycle. Then you can close it, and never worry about it again.

It will be coming to the forums in the next day or two apparently - but that is opt-in.

Or, you could ignore the tier rating completely, as it is more an indication of the number of consistent matches you have played rather than a statement about your overall tactical brilliance and mad killin' skills. Like your KDR, it's an indication, not a definite truth.

#15 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostFenrisulvyn, on 24 September 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:

Tiers have not as much to do with skill as it has to do with playing the "correct way".

I often try to play scouting roles and sometimes I'm flanking the enemy team and spot them continuously and try to annoy them into looking the wrong way, after the fight I have few if any kills and low damage which gives me a low score, but I still know I did good and sometimes it was my performance that gave us the victory.

It's unfortunate that the game doesn't reward this type of role but I'm not going to change how I play - I play to have fun.

View PostNightshade24, on 24 September 2015 - 03:21 AM, said:

I thought there was already an options in the menu to dissable it yourself?

There is actually, "Hide tier in front end".

#16 ball0fire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 178 posts
  • LocationQLD australia

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:30 AM

i know you can turn off the home screen info i nthe settings but you still get the arrow after game
shirely* pgi can add a bit of code to disable that arrow as well for that options tick box

#17 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:36 AM

I understand how it can be a bit frustrating for some people. Some people are really competitive and if you don't have the time to play a lot, for example, you're going to have a low rating.

Personally though, I'd say this is very far down on the list of priorities, even just in the UI.

Edit: Also, I think it actually benefits PGI to force people to look at their rating. The number of players who are motivated probably outnumber the ones who are frustrated. Although I would say that the climb from Tier 5 to Tier 1 is a bit much, in terms of matches needed. Not terribly motivating for new players to see the bar move one pixel at a time.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 24 September 2015 - 03:38 AM.

#18 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,461 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:39 AM

Instead of thinking about your skill, look at it as Difficulty Setting in a single player game.
You just play on easy/normal instead of hard/insane, because you will have more fun this way. :)

#19 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:21 AM

Th tier label is a ranking and not a grade. Being tier 5 is not an F, its just Rank 5 and nothing else.

I'm barely...BARELY tier 3 and might slide back into tier 4. I thought I was higher too, but to quote Ray from Trailer Park Boys "That's the way she goes boys. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't, 'cause that's the f***'n way she goes".

Honestly, if it bothers you, use the tier ranking as a fun goal or objective. See if you can earn tier 4, not because you have to, but to see if you can. It's a secondary objective.

Basically, think of it less as a criticism and more as a simple rank. Maybe a rank that might be fun to see if you can beat and jump a rank.

#20 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:22 AM

View PostDaelen Rottiger, on 24 September 2015 - 03:03 AM, said:

sad to see how much effected your ego is by that.

I don't want to be offensive about that but maybe you should take good care of your self-confidence.
Maybe look for hobbies that do not frustrate you that much.

Maybe, try to look at things from their point of view instead of trying to not being offensive by taking jabs at some anonymous persons ego and self-confidence?

I could care less, but I can understand his point of view. It can be rather disheartening to see one fall in Tiers and be reminded of that despite best efforts. If one is reminded of how "badly" one does, again despite best efforts, your eventually not going to even want to play. That is not something anyone wants.

Missed the disabling the front end in patch notes - thank you to that poster!
Yes, persistent minimized windows will be fixed.

If disabling the front end will hide Tier info in the stats window, great. If not, maybe it can be or should?

He has a valid point to make and one that should not be dismissed out of hand.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users