So I Dropped In A Support Mech Last Night

2 replies to this topic

#1 Belazaar

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:55 AM

I just returned back to the game a few weeks ago and had been pretty frustrated. With both the Elo and PSR system there seemed to be a cycle.

I would be on the winning team for 2 or 3 games, then losing team for 2 or 3 games. I've scored high and low on both sides, so the outcome didn't really have any to do my performance.

When they added the display of the PSR I noticed it never moved.

I've tried different mechs in the medium, heavy and assault groups. Laser, AC and LRM. I've tried meta builds and things I came up with.

I've tried to be more aggressive and then non-aggressive.

Nothing seem to help.

So last night I said screw it and dropped in the Trial mech Kit Fox with ECM and 3 AMS. I think this is more of a support mech, since I don't really have the speed to scout or the damage to do much else. I would change a few of the weapons if I buy the mech.

I've had the most fun. I always stayed around the assault mechs and protected them.

I didn't score well, stayed in the 100 to 200 because I didn't do much damage (200ish), but I figured between the ECM and AMS I helped the team so they could do the damage.

Most fights I went through most if not all of my 8000 rounds of AMS, so I must have been doing something. And I was also able to TAG mechs the assaults were fighting. The red team didn't pay attention to me with the big guys around. I wasn't hiding, I was behind and off to the left or right of the other mechs.

And I was also able to keep the other ECM light mechs from coming up behind them which happen very often.

I had a blast, I don't see me making it out of my Tier any time soon the way they score, but as long as I'm having fun I will keep doing it.

Oh and I also broke the cycle. While we still lost some, I was part of far more winning games.

#2 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:56 AM

Well the stock KFX-C is not really good, as hardly any stock mech is. Apart from the ECM, it is full of useless mixed items that might look cool in an RPG, but bring little effect in a "pure" combat situation like in MWO.

Also: If you already have ECM, AMS is hardly worth the tonnage in MWO.
Maybe even strike the first part: AMS in general is hardly worth the tonnage.

ECM is worth it, because it's super-duper overpowered for just 1 ton 1 slot.
ECM Mechs are basically 99% damage dealers with a tiny (OP) support-addon.

Apart from that, you always have to think:

If you are a "support" role (in any game) you partially or even completely drop out in terms of damage dealing.
So you have to ask yourself: does your support make your team mates SO much better that they can compensate for the reduced damage you provide?

Think about it: 12 damage dealers can surely win a match.
11 supporters all "buffing" the same 1 single damage dealer ... uhm ... not really.

Damage is what gets the win, not supporting.
Think of damage as "processing power", while defense is nothing more than a buffer.
You can't win a match by tanking the hell out of your enemies.
(that's also why predator animals hardly ever have protection or "armor". They are all-damage, no-defense. They strike has hard as possible and either it's enough or they are dead/emptyhanded anyway)

MWO only has very limited supporting (basically ECM. Narc and Tag a little but the feeling is strong that just more weapons would contribute even more).

Instead of "tanking" LRMs with 4 tons of AMS ammo, you could have (helped to) neutralize the LRM throwers in the first place if you have had more weapons/heatsinks.

Edited by Paigan, 24 September 2015 - 06:11 AM.

#3 Belazaar

• PipPipPip
  • 59 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, Georgia

Posted 24 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

Well thank you for your response, but I was just saying I had a lot of fun and was on more winning teams when I did this.

I was no way trying to say other people should do this or set any type of strategy. I just drop in solo que to blow off steam.

I wasn't really asking for a review on the kit fox or why you think support roles are useless. It worked for me.

But thanks again for responding.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users