• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,022 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

And here are the reasons why a Tbolt is simply a bad choice for a novice pilot's first mech.
I understand that most of us (well, more than likely EVERYONE who will comment) are players who have been at this game for a while, but we really need to put ourselves into the new player's shoes.

1.) Offcenter cockpit. While it might be great in some "advanced" tutorial down the line, it is NOT great as a starting mech. The asymmetry of the cockpit view and the 'guide arrow' that pops up on the ground would be particularly confusing to new players. I've been playing for three years, never piloted a Tbolt though, and even I was confused for a few seconds before I realized 'oh yeah, it's the thunderbolt" ->>> Explain that the cockpit if offcenter, or pick new mech.

2.) Medium Lasers. The two medium lasers mounted on the chassis fire from the exact same location. I can imagine there would be some confusion caused by this, as new players may think "there are two medium lasers in weapon group 3, yet I only see one beam of green light, what am I doing wrong???" ->>> Either fix the hardpoint locations, or change the tutorial mech.

3.) Too many weapon groups. I get it, they want a mech that has all kinds of hardpoints so they can demonstrate the different kinds of weapon types, but 5 is simply too many for a new player.

4.) No one mech can showcase all the weapon types effectively, there should be two versions of the same trial mech you pilot.

5.) Armlock with both X & Y movement may be too confusing. Something with only vertical arm movement might be less confusing. I remember when I was a new player, I had arm lock on for a LONG time. It was way too confusing on my JM6, and when it switched to a Cataphract, it was even moreso.

I'd think the ideal mech would be two builds on the JM6-A.

1 - It's symmetrical, two of each weapon type on both sides. Still has arm and torso mounted weapons.

2 - It can fit all weapon types.
Loadout #1: 2x SRM2, 2x AC5, 2x ML
Loadout #2: 2x LRM10, 2x Machine Gun, 2x MPL

Edited by xeromynd, 24 September 2015 - 06:25 AM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:41 AM

Tutorial is also lacking in "mid combat" weapon group reselection. That would help the tutorial greatly if it was added in. Then, even with the 5 group T-bolt, they could have you change it (as part of the tutorial) into a much easier 2-3 group setting. (Group sm and med lasers together. Then the LL and AC. Then the SRMs. Or something.)

For the most part, I agree. The Jeagermech 6-A would probably be a better trainer mech.

#3 WonderSparks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 909 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC, Canada

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

I'm personally not so convinced that the Thunderbolt is a bad choice, although I do tend to agree that it's off-center cockpit would lead to some confusion (because let's face it, if you suddenly had a head on your shoulder instead of your neck, things would look and feel a LOT different as a human).

As a 65-tonner with a decent mix of hardpoints, armor, and speed/agility. it's right around the middle zone for handling and all that other useful stuff. The weapons aren't too confusing if you just take a minute to take it all in, though I'll grant five groups could be a bit overwhelming right off the bat in a combat situation.

The one thing that bugged me the most was the locked arm lock and throttle decay options (not that I actually bothered to see if they could be unlocked, I just assumed after the previous tutorial), but otherwise I felt it was a decent tutorial. :)

Of course, all of this is just my own opinion. Nobody has to agree with me, nobody has to say "Oh you're so wrong for X reason!" because we all have our own opinions. :P

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 September 2015 - 07:26 AM

View PostWonderSparks, on 24 September 2015 - 07:14 AM, said:

The one thing that bugged me the most was the locked arm lock and throttle decay options (not that I actually bothered to see if they could be unlocked, I just assumed after the previous tutorial), but otherwise I felt it was a decent tutorial. :)

No. They could not be unlocked. I tried... :unsure:

#5 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 September 2015 - 08:26 AM

I think the T-bolt is actually a good choice. Not just because it's my favorite IS heavy ;)

The suggestion to add an objective where you re-bind the weapon groups is a good one. That's step 1 whenever you field a new mech or new loadout.

#6 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 24 September 2015 - 11:08 AM

Agreed on bad choice as off-center cockpit, all other elements are personal choice/no biggy IMO.

#7 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 September 2015 - 05:24 PM

The "Chameleon" is the traditional training mech in lore.

From the currently available chassis, the Shadowhawk would be a good trainer.

#8 CycKath

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationSE QLD, Australia

Posted 24 September 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 24 September 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

More than a few TT people reference the Shadow Hawk as being their training 'Mech (Jeremiah Rose for example).

Would love to see the Chameleon in game for the same reason as I champion the inclusion of the Flea, want all of the 'Mechs in game, but it only shows off a couple of weapon types. Shadow Hawk has a nice balance different weapon types (along with Jump Jets which the Training Teabowl lacks) and also has the benefit of being in game right now.

#9 jss78

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 25 September 2015 - 02:16 AM

View PostFiona Marshe, on 24 September 2015 - 05:24 PM, said:

I agree on the Shadow Hawk. Something like a stock 2H/2D would actually be great. About medium weight, has all of lasers, AC, guided missiles, non-guided missiles. Has both torso- and arm-mounted weapons. Can jump. All of the basic mech control aspects covered right there, but without extra clutter.

The only problem could be that the new player gets the idea that this is a somehow recommended loadout for MWO :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users