Any Plan, Even A Bad One, Is Better Than None.

20 replies to this topic

#1 DjPush

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM

I find one of the most annoying things about PUG queue is that no one communicates and no one steps up to take command. Even when somebody does, it is often met with ridicule or completely ignored. This is the wrong attitude to have in the PUG queue. Someone, in every drop, should step up to the plate. If some one makes an effort to take command, they should be heard by the team.

As the title says a bad plan is better than none. So speak up in PUG drops! If you have a plan of attack you want to try, lets hear it! Who knows? It might work. It also adds a lot more variety to matches. There are places on maps that nobody ever goes to because the community has lost all imagination or inspiration to try new things.

If you don't like Moron Mountain on Alpine Peaks, don't go there! Spend some time in the training grounds and explore the map, devise a tactic and try it out. Have the balls to speak up in VOIP, use the command overlay and direct your team. This BS of people qq'ing over coms at the END of a match has to stop. I won't lie, I'm guilty of this. However, I plan to change my attitude and actions when dropping solo.

Lets crush some red Doritos! Cool Ranch unite!

#2 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:39 PM

Form a ball of death, roll along shooting red ones, don't hesitate to push, don't shoot team mates.
This game is so simple that actually no command would be required.
Rest is stupidity of people.

#3 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:40 PM

Preaching to the choir man...

#4 Red Shrike

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,042 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:44 PM

While teamwork is something I'd like to see, the fact is that in random battles you only have 1 life, meaning that no one wants to end up dead. Therefore even if there is teamwork, chances are that all it takes is a single enemy push for your team to fall apart and run for the hills.

#5 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:46 PM

When I pug I only try to find the teammates that are doing something that looks smart and I can lend support to. I generally dismiss anyone shouting out orders as they usually make no sense and are quickly followed by insults for the team.

In Puglandia if you are looking to provide leadership it is often best to just try to support what you see that is right.

#6 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:47 PM

Everybody following a bad call is better than a selected few following a good one.

Edited by Kira_Onime, 24 September 2015 - 12:59 PM.

#7 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:54 PM

Yeah, the thing is, even a bad plan typically at least achieves the blue team grouping up. At least in Tier 3-4 pug, that's often more than what the red team's come up with.

#8 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:55 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 24 September 2015 - 12:47 PM, said:

Everybody following a bad idea is better than a selected few following a good one.

So 12 folks chasing after the Squirrel is a good idea? 10 out of 10 lemmings would agree I suppose.

Might be true now with 12 v 12 but I remember back in 8 x 8 if I could just find 1 other pilot I could trust I always thought we had at least a fighting chance,

#9 Kira Onime

• The Dragoon
  • The Dragoon
  • 2,486 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationMontréal, Québec.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

View PostScreech, on 24 September 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

So 12 folks chasing after the Squirrel is a good idea? 10 out of 10 lemmings would agree I suppose.

Might be true now with 12 v 12 but I remember back in 8 x 8 if I could just find 1 other pilot I could trust I always thought we had at least a fighting chance,

Phrased it badly. replace "bad idea" with "bad call".

#10 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:04 PM

View PostKira_Onime, on 24 September 2015 - 12:56 PM, said:

Phrased it badly. replace "bad idea" with "bad call".

Fair enough. And to be honest I do try to follow the calls of anyone try to Warboss a run. It just is that often they are setting their plans on assumptions and it might not work out because of each players loadouts might not fit into the expectations. That's why I just try to figure out what others are doing. If I can determine what they want to do it usually is easier to support them with what I CAN do other then what they WANT me to do.

#11 Apnu

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,083 posts
  • LocationMidWest

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostPaigan, on 24 September 2015 - 12:39 PM, said:

Form a ball of death, roll along shooting red ones, don't hesitate to push, don't shoot team mates.
This game is so simple that actually no command would be required.
Rest is stupidity of people.

And yet players fail at this. All. The. Time.

#12 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

View PostDjPush, on 24 September 2015 - 12:31 PM, said:

Hahaha! i love it!

I often sit back and watch the train wreck im not going to lie...

But i am also not against following what someone calls even if i think its a bad idea. Maybe we can pull it off, maybe we will catch the enemy off guard. Either way like you said even a bad plan is a plan and worth my commitment 9 out of 10 times.

I also plan on herding cats more often from here on out...75% of the people i drop with in my tier seem like they welcome it but are often to worried with backlash or failure to try it themselves. I have am not worried about this so i guess that means i need to step up to the mic.

#13 Homeskilit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 523 posts
  • LocationFlanking

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

It is frustrating when you make a call though and only half the team listens. The other half proceeds to run off and now you have to decide between sticking with the first call and moving off with the team, I have yet to see either be successful.

This situation usually occurs because your lights go off to scout (which they should) but hen stay and fight and others trickle off to join the fight. It seems Mechwarriors do not possess the discipline to wait in a defensive position, which is one of the reason deathball is so popular.

#14 Bigbacon

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:08 PM

i say the other difference between death ball in pug and death ball in group is that groups will focus fire on a single mech while pugs will death ball and shoot everything they see.

the worst thing in normal queue to me is just being left behind if you are slow.

Edited by Bigbacon, 24 September 2015 - 01:11 PM.

#15 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 01:09 PM

Seriously, even a death ball with someone saying: "Stop chasing the light!" has better chance than no one saying it at all.

#16 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:18 PM

Correction:

A bad plan is "funner" than no plan at all. Sometimes chaos is better than a horrible plan. Horrible plans kill skilled pilots first. In chaos decent pilots can make a bit more of a difference. :)

my 2 cbills

#17 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 24 September 2015 - 02:23 PM

...Even when somebody does, it is often met with ridicule or completely ignored...

I agree with your premise but when somebody actually does step up and lead I find that most people are eager and willing to follow. Let's not dissuade the few captains among us from even trying!

#18 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:12 PM

Pug Q is for cbills and xp ,Nothing more. It's not even good to practise in because it teaches you not to play as a team.

#19 2MyBalls

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts
  • LocationBamberg

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

Just to be clear... there IS a tool for taking command... the map-tool
voice-commands tend to be ignored, but put a BIG-RED-DOT on the map and all the lemmings are running to get there. B)

Its basic gamer-psychologie.... ALL the big dots needs to be collected... this is the way it goes since PacMan :lol:

Posted Image

Edited by 2MyBalls, 24 September 2015 - 03:21 PM.

#20 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 24 September 2015 - 03:17 PM

I find one of the most annoying things about PUG queue is that no one communicates and no one steps up to take command. Even when somebody does, it is often met with ridicule or completely ignored. This is the wrong attitude to have in the PUG queue. Someone, in every drop, should step up to the plate. If some one makes an effort to take command, they should be heard by the team.

As the title says a bad plan is better than none. So speak up in PUG drops! If you have a plan of attack you want to try, lets hear it! Who knows? It might work. It also adds a lot more variety to matches. There are places on maps that nobody ever goes to because the community has lost all imagination or inspiration to try new things.

If you don't like Moron Mountain on Alpine Peaks, don't go there! Spend some time in the training grounds and explore the map, devise a tactic and try it out. Have the balls to speak up in VOIP, use the command overlay and direct your team. This BS of people qq'ing over coms at the END of a match has to stop. I won't lie, I'm guilty of this. However, I plan to change my attitude and actions when dropping solo.

One of the great PUG philosophies.

I would like to add also, that bad plans usually only turn out badly if the whole team doesn't follow them. If you stick together, even fights from a ludicrous location have a much greater chance of success.

I always follow any PUG captain with the stones to step up and command.

I would suggest also that any intrepid pilots that think the same as I acknowledge plans in chat with a "rgr" at the very least if they are going to follow them. Peer pressure really does work in pugs. Quite often the success of a plan hinges around the herd nervously eyeing each other to see if anyone is actually going to follow the new upstart shepherd.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users