Medium Mech Support Group

49 replies to this topic

#21 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

hello my name is Tanar and when i'm not in the holy trinity of "bad" lights (locust/commando/urbie for the uninitiated) i'm in a medium. pick a medium (IS only) and I have it- except the wolverine. I tend to ignore some chassis while levelling up other mechs though

rankings
1) enforcer- originally didn't like them now they've become my favorite, 4R and 4P (or 5R- the newest one)
2) griffin- these I like and do fairly decently with except the ecm one- it hates me. just started working on sparky to complete the set
3) kintaro- still play these a lot- usually for events when damage spamming needed
4) blackjack- old standby, still hop into them from time to time
5) hunchies- my first completed set of 3-, don't play them as much as I should
6) centurion- don't play them much- usually just the AH.
7) cicada-only the boomcada gets taken out, lookin forward to the JJ one though
8) shadowhawks- I like them so much I almost forgot to include them on the list
9) trebs- um they're medums- don't recall the last time I dropped in one- least favorite of the bunch

think that's all the non wolverine ones, do plan on getting the crab when it comes out for cbills though

#22 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 04 October 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostTanar, on 04 October 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

hello my name is Tanar and when i'm not in the holy trinity of "bad" lights (locust/commando/urbie for the uninitiated) i'm in a medium. pick a medium (IS only) and I have it- except the wolverine. I tend to ignore some chassis while levelling up other mechs though

rankings
1) enforcer- originally didn't like them now they've become my favorite, 4R and 4P (or 5R- the newest one)
2) griffin- these I like and do fairly decently with except the ecm one- it hates me. just started working on sparky to complete the set
3) kintaro- still play these a lot- usually for events when damage spamming needed
4) blackjack- old standby, still hop into them from time to timezones
9) trebs- um they're medums- don't recall the last time I dropped in one- least favorite of the bunch

think that's all the non wolverine ones, do plan on getting the crab when it comes out for cbills though

I just threw 2 PPC's and 4ml on the Sparky with an xl300 and rode it out of tier 5. Of course it will probably only take a few rounds in the Urbies to bring me back down ;)

#23 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 10:22 AM

In Possession: Centurion, Cicada, Enforcer, Griffin, Ice Ferret, Kintaro, Nova, Shadowcat, Stormcrow, Trebuchet, Wolverine

To Do: Shadow Hawk, Hunchback, Blackjack, Vindicator, (Crab, Hunchback IIC)

Favourites: Centurion(AL, D), Enforcer(5D), Stormcrow

#24 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 04:11 PM

I'd also like to say I'm pretty excited about the new Cicada. Dropped 7 bucks on MC just so I could have it. With the 30 percent c-bill boost its gonna get and unique pattern, I basically got a hero mech for 7 bucks. Good deal I say.

#25 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 05:29 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 04 October 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

I just threw 2 PPC's and 4ml on the Sparky with an xl300 and rode it out of tier 5. Of course it will probably only take a few rounds in the Urbies to bring me back down ;)

hmm will have to try that- was going with the "cram a big engine in and scare the lights that can't run away from you" method but that limited me to all MLs more or less

#26 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 October 2015 - 06:25 AM

View PostTanar, on 05 October 2015 - 05:29 AM, said:

hmm will have to try that- was going with the "cram a big engine in and scare the lights that can't run away from you" method but that limited me to all MLs more or less

I was toying with the idea of a mpl brawler with std engine. I think you can get a 280 in with decent heat management of if you like hot builds a 300. I was running a pretty fast llas/ml build for awhile too xl320 or 330, but you have to run hot or drop jj for heatsinks.

#27 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 07:44 AM

View PostTanar, on 04 October 2015 - 09:13 AM, said:

rankings
4) blackjack- old standby, still hop into them from time to time

Any recommendations for the 5P Enforcer? I really can't make heads or tails of what it's supposed to be doing.

#28 Macksheen

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationNorth Cackalacky

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:03 AM

I play other mechs, but none are as fun as mediums.

#29 Fubbit

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 84 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 08:14 AM

Hi all,

I've been playing hunchbacks to excess since the beginning. Got stuck in my 4G(F) early on and haven't been able to shake it.
I have about as many drops in the HBK-4G as the rest of my mechs combined.
I have dropped CW with 4 hunchbacks.
I never play clan mechs but preordered the IIC hunchbacks.

Not sure if there's hope for me. =)

#30 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostGrey Black, on 05 October 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

Any recommendations for the 5P Enforcer? I really can't make heads or tails of what it's supposed to be doing.

hmm yeah that's my red headed step child of the bunch- all the others are over 1.0 w/l and kdr, that one's stuck at .77 w/l and .75 kdr.

currently just messing around with a LL, UAC 5 w/ 3 tons of ammo and hope it doesn't jam and 3 MG, std 235 engine for 83 kph speed and a JJ. I haven't had anything really work with it either, this was the least bad of the builds I've tried. ran it with the stock loadout for a bit- was very blah though. some say that's one of the better builds for it, just tweak a few things to cram more ammo in. could up to an ERLL I suppose for long range poking but my eyesight isn't long range friendly.

#31 Dazzer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts
  • LocationSpain next to Gibraltar

Posted 06 October 2015 - 08:51 AM

Hello I am Dazzer and I am a Medium Mech Pilot.

It all started with my Hunchbacks which lead to my Centurions , Griffins , Cicada , wolverines and now just when I thought it was over Crabs !

Still as I am the worst mech pilot there is I will die in style :)

#32 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 06 October 2015 - 09:26 AM

View PostDazzer, on 06 October 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Hello I am Dazzer and I am a Medium Mech Pilot.

It all started with my Hunchbacks which lead to my Centurions , Griffins , Cicada , wolverines and now just when I thought it was over Crabs !

Still as I am the worst mech pilot there is I will die in style :)

as a bad pilot myself i couldnt agree more....if your going to die do a backflip

#33 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostGrey Black, on 05 October 2015 - 07:44 AM, said:

The 5P is the toughest of the bunch, but I found it a ton of fun once I got the hang of it. If you go dual UAC5's you must make the shots count, no time for misses or you will not do very well.

Here are three builds I used with my 5P very effectively.
1. The Standard: 2UAC5's I also tried dropping 1 ton of ammo to go with and XL280, but you don't want to lose those rounds! I didn't do that very long.
2. Poke to Crit!: I liked this one because I could poke a bit at range with the ERLL, it was decently fast for relocating. I wasn't as limited by UAC5 ammo because I only ran with one, and when the brawl starts the machine guns and UAC5 can really get you some component damage.
3. Critter: Just wait for the brawl to start, then run around and destroy stuff that is focused on something else. Great for destroying back armor. I also ran a similar build for this one by down grading the engine to XL280, loosing a ton LBX Ammo and one Jump Jet, and adding in a LPL. But I did not like it as much.

All the 5P builds are very heat efficient so get cool-down modules for the weapons you run in them.

Edited by PeeWrinkle, 06 October 2015 - 10:43 AM.

#34 Spungie

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:40 AM

Hi I'm spungie and I'm a medium mech pilot.

I started using Hunchbacks on weekends to help me unwind and have fun. It was amazing at first, but as my tolerance increased I needed more Hunchbacks to reach the same level. I soon turned to harder mechs, like centurions and cicadas. I use mediums every day now and I've pretty much given up on all my other mechs. pls help.

#35 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 08 October 2015 - 10:49 AM

I haven't piloted my Vindicator in....roughly half a year. But i'm addicted to something much weirder. The KFX loaded with a wide variety of weaponry.
Since that thing has the speed of a medium i thought it somehow applied here.
Weirdest of all...i use 4 MG's in the dang thing along with a bunch of other weapons and the sound they make is simply addictive in the extreme.

My Firestarters haven't even been dusted off in about half a year too.

#36 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 07:51 AM

So I'm thinking about buying the Wolverines (I did just get one for free!), so I'm trying to decide. Which Wolverines should I go for in addition to my free one?

#37 Torezu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 329 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 08:53 AM

View PostGrey Black, on 13 October 2015 - 07:51 AM, said:

So I'm thinking about buying the Wolverines (I did just get one for free!), so I'm trying to decide. Which Wolverines should I go for in addition to my free one?

6K, without question, assuming even a small portion of the quirks stay in place. The thing is a monster with 27 pinpoint damage from a 3LL right arm. You just have to protect it...I recommend a 275-300+ XL engine for maneuverability.

I'd go 7K for the other one, personally, since the 6R and the free one are...similar, if not quite exactly the same. It can do SRMs or a dual LL right arm and backup LRMs (if that's your thing). Also, it comes with an XL 275, which has its uses.

#38 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:33 PM

View PostTorezu, on 13 October 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

6K, without question, assuming even a small portion of the quirks stay in place. The thing is a monster with 27 pinpoint damage from a 3LL right arm. You just have to protect it...I recommend a 275-300+ XL engine for maneuverability.

I'd go 7K for the other one, personally, since the 6R and the free one are...similar, if not quite exactly the same. It can do SRMs or a dual LL right arm and backup LRMs (if that's your thing). Also, it comes with an XL 275, which has its uses.

Agreed

#39 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 13 October 2015 - 02:45 PM

Hello everyone. My name is RAbbi, and I've experimented with Medium mechs.

It didn't used to be like this. I mean, I played around with some HBKs. They were alright. The Phoenix stuff released, and whaddaya know, I've got NINE (9) new mediums in the barn. Didn't really care for them. I figured I was gonna be okay.

And then, I came back from a hiatus to find the Clan Invasion had taken place. And those beautiful Shadow Cats, they got hold of me by the short & curlies. Then the Storm Crows called to me, and I just couldn't say no. Oh GOD, there's even a NOVA in there with them now! It's like they're multiplying! A wolverine and a Cicada also just showed up, too!

I don't know what to do! I MASTERed all those Shadow Cats, but they still call to me. I got the Storm Crows ELITEd, and they're not happy like that--they want to be MASTERed, too! And now the NOVA is calling me to it!

HELP?

#40 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 08:43 AM

View PostTorezu, on 13 October 2015 - 08:53 AM, said:

I agree with this, but when leveling the original 3 the 6R was one of my favorites. If you have the mechbays and cbills might as well do all but the Hero variant.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users