Medium Mech Support Group

49 replies to this topic

#41 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:07 AM

I'm a proud Medium pilot for the public drops, and I've been a little bummed that lately the queue is flush with them (I'm assuming because of the free mech giveaway).
It's possible to outfit them to deal pretty potent damage, while keeping speed and maneuverability to engage and disengage as necessary, it hits the sweet spot of my play style perfectly. When I hop in slower heavies, I'm caught out in the open so much more often, the additional armor and firepower isn't enough to offset.
The opening minutes of matches can be underwhelming, but it's easy to vulture kills if you stick with the assault lance.

#42 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 11:31 PM

I have a personal vendetta against the Wolverine 6k though. Yea its "good" and "meta" but before the quirkening it was easily one of the absolute worst mechs in the game. I sold it confidently feeling I'd never have reason to look at it again.......so they turn it into one of the 5 best medium mechs in the game, and I HATE re-buying mechs. Plus even with the quirks if you can't protect that arm (which has a big hitbox) its still garbage and good players will go for it like flies on dogshit.

Edited by Rando Slim, 14 October 2015 - 11:32 PM.

#43 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:08 AM

View PostRando Slim, on 14 October 2015 - 11:31 PM, said:

I sold it confidently feeling I'd never have reason to look at it again.......

Never, ever do you sell a medium mech chassis! Even the crappy ones should stay in your stable if you are true MM (Medium Mechoholic)! LOL

#44 DONTOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 15 October 2015 - 07:31 AM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 28 September 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

Hello, my name is doctor Rockso, and...

Posted Image

WOW that is actually the most beautiful Nova I have ever seen, UAC10 and 6 ERSLs?

#45 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 11:36 AM

Now, everybody, how about we all go around the circle and talk about what it was that first got us into mediums. I remember the agility and torso twisting of the Centurion is what got me, but what about everyone else?

EDIT: Also:

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 15 October 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

Never, ever do you sell a medium mech chassis! Even the crappy ones should stay in your stable if you are true MM (Medium Mechoholic)! LOL

We really shouldn't judge here. We should be accepting of other's quirks, even if they're not as good as our own. I, myself, even sold my Kintaros for more cash. It was a dark time; the Clans had just come out, I was high on the Stormcrow, and... let's not get into it.

Edited by Grey Black, 15 October 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#46 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 03:13 PM

View PostGrey Black, on 15 October 2015 - 11:36 AM, said:

Now, everybody, how about we all go around the circle and talk about what it was that first got us into mediums.

For me it was that many players thought they did not have a place in the game. I remember when I first started playing and reading through the forums most players didn't like medium mechs, they thought heavy's could do a better job. Plus back in those days you never ran a medium with XL for the most part.

Since I really like medium lances in table top I decided that if no one else really liked mediums I was going to play them. Then I got into my Hunchback 4P for the first time and was like, yep this is for me. Lights were just too fast for me, I couldn't hit anything and most heavy's and assaults I felt couldn't move.

After that I was addicted!

#47 Rando Slim

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 459 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 10:17 PM

View PostPeeWrinkle, on 15 October 2015 - 07:08 AM, said:

Well at the time I was strapped for mechbays and I mean it was just sooooo gimped. I kept the 6R and 7k obviously.........yea I mean I regret it now lol.

So for me, my first actual chassis was the Jenner (the K variant actually, cause I didn't know better) and back then they were amazing, and there really wasn't another comparable light chassis in terms of firepower so I wanted to try something new. I had test driven some heavies and assaults and vowed I could never drive anything that slow (obviously I had to cave on that eventually and I enjoy all weight classes now once you get a given chassis to speed tweak and elite status). So I started looking at mediums.

Back then it was pretty much all about the Centurion, which while it looked cool I didn't want it simply because everyone else had one. The Cicada just looked like a fat Jenner that couldnt jump or add extra firepower. The hunchback was a laughingstock (IMO) because that hunch was about the most vulnerable thing on any mech in the game. That basically left me with Blackjacks......a chassis that I saw sprinkled here and there but most people thought it sucked. And honestly, for my first several dozen matches in a BJ-1 I was inclined to agree with them. The dual Ac/2 build was too weak, you couldn't carry enough ammo for dual ac/5s. I rolled around for a while with an LB-10x and some pulse lasers, then the boomjack build.......and really had no success no matter what because I still didn't have speedtweak, and the thing was (and still is) too fragile to be so close to enemies for any extended period (as in more than 3-5 seconds). I couldn't believe how slow and sluggish it felt compared to my Jenner, I couldn't get myself out of trouble when I made a positioning mistake.......it got punched through like wet paper.......I almost gave up. But then I discovered I could put a Gauss Rifle and 3-4 medium lasers on it and a new chapter in my MWO career began. I joined up with Aces Wild and learned a lot, piloted with some great people, and expanded into the BJ-3 and BJ-1x. I absolutely loved (and still love) that 1x variant. Back then I ran mine in a very odd build with 3 large lasers, or sometimes 2 large pulse and 2 medium pulse (I called it the "Wubbajack" after the "Wabbajack" staff in Skyrim, wow I'm a dork).

So blackjacks were my gateway medium mech drug, its a high I've sought ever since, finding it afterwards in Trebuchets (where I found my beloved xl-390 Treb-3C "troll-bucket", lol) Cicadas next (ended up loving those little bugs as much as my Jennies in the end, drove the SH!T out of the 3M, I even have an X-5 and LIKE IT if that tells you anything) and then Shawks and so on. Any mech I tried after that had to be made to feel like a medium so thats when I got into Dragons and Quickdraws also. Ah yes, good memories all around.

Another side question (but please keep sharing stories of how you got addicted!): What was your moment or match that best justified your addiction? All addicts try and justify it to themselves......how do you guys do so? For me, it was a match on HPG manifold shortly after it was released, back in the days when PPCs ruled the land, and I was in my twin PPC Cicada 3M. I was the last man alive running around the outside of the map in a group queue match with some of my then Aces Wild buddies late at night. They didnt have any lights to chase me down and I had free reign to try and string them out, and oh boy did I ever. I killed the last FIVE mechs by myself as the last man standing and pulled off my last kill on a Highlander who didnt wanna chase and just sat in overwatch in the middle of the map until I came back for him, I landed the killing shot with 2 seconds left in the match, essentially pulling off a "buzzer-beater" to end it and take the victory. Epic. My hands were literally shaking like a fiend. It was so cool everyone on both sides congratulated me or called me a hacker. I was on some kind of a roll that night in general, having 3 1000 damage matches in the course of an hour in my "noisy cricket".

Edited by Rando Slim, 15 October 2015 - 10:21 PM.

#48 Grey Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 480 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 08:25 AM

Oh, the moment that cemented me as a medium pilot? I remember that it was on HPG. The rest of my team was dead, I was piloting a centurion 9-A (my signature mech), and was pretty much a stick. I remember seeing a thunderbolt and a Stalker built for short range advancing on me. I guess they must not have been very good pilots because they aimed core on me instead of shooting legs. I fired at the stalker first, ending it in one salvo (everyone was really bear up), leaving me against the Thunderbolt. It took all of my twisting skills, but I managed to spread damage well enough to not die from the laser vomit it was carrying. My 3 SRM6s lit up. I took aim, fired... and that was the match. Post-match, the screen said I had dealt over 1000 damage, the first time I had ever done that much. That's when I was hooked.

#49 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 19 October 2015 - 02:12 AM

Before Closed Beta(or early closed beta) the unit i was with was having discussions and speculations about what mechs they are going to use and they thought a lance would share dropship weight limit so i just figured ill go medium(only Hunchback available at the time) and reading up on models i figured ill take the jack-of-most-trades and go LRM 4J. honestly loved its responsive feeling and the sweet spot it ticked(late 80s early 90s hothatch feeling if your into cars). Ever since ive tried everything but i always went back to them 50 tonners cause they just feel "right".
I tried Centurions when they first came out(even killed Russ with one) but didnt really feel like using them too much until end of CB and start of Open Beta when they introduced RnR. Thats when i started using the CN-9AL to lower my repair bills(still have it). Anyways Medium mech handling feels just right and the que used to be shorter :(

#50 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 19 October 2015 - 03:14 AM

White Bear play Hunchie.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users