49 replies to this topic

#1 MADSix

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 68 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 06 October 2015 - 04:09 PM

Anyone found a good loadout? Was going to do Dual AC5, but without the cool-down quirks it kinda blows.

#2 Kmieciu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 3,437 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 October 2015 - 02:17 AM

Ditch MASC, use XL300+4JJ+ UAC5+2xSRM6+A without any lasers. Lasers reveal your position and draw aggro. You can have 1 MPL or 2 tonnes of ammo (300-430 more potential damage).

I'm afraid with the current quirks there is nothing the 7D can do better than the 6R. MASC is only useful for GTFO type situations. The thing is, you should not be the one running away. The enemies should be running away from you!

Edited by Kmieciu, 07 October 2015 - 02:17 AM.

#3 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:48 AM

View PostKmieciu, on 07 October 2015 - 02:17 AM, said:

Ditch MASC, use XL300+4JJ+ UAC5+2xSRM6+A without any lasers. Lasers reveal your position and draw aggro. You can have 1 MPL or 2 tonnes of ammo (300-430 more potential damage).

I'm afraid with the current quirks there is nothing the 7D can do better than the 6R. MASC is only useful for GTFO type situations. The thing is, you should not be the one running away. The enemies should be running away from you!

I think I agree with ditching MASC. I am running it like this right now (MASC Version), but I can add half a ton of armor, one ton of ammo and upgrade to an XL300, which once I unlock speed tweak gets me to 97.2 KPH.

The only reason I am still fooling around with MASC right now, is I like the momentum it can give you for jumping, and the increased acceleration. Those are the two reasons I use it. So I am probably going to wait until I master it to decide to completely ditch MASC or not.

I am also going experimenting with SRM4's and no Artemis. That give me back several tons for an even larger engine. Something like this, or without MASC. The only downside I can see is I am not taking advantage of the SRM 6 velocity quirk, but I am not sure it will really make much difference since I tend to fire those at under 200m.

#4 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 October 2015 - 04:52 AM

Strip for parts. It's just a worse version of the 6R and doesn't have the quirks that make the 6R ok.

#5 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:12 AM

Any Gauss options viable? Seems like it could run a less jumpy Shadow Cat build, obviously sans ECM.

Gauss (3 tons), MPL, XL300, MASC for corner peeking and panic moon walking out of line of sight.

Quirks do seem pretty lackluster. I'm always a big fan of -30% jam chance quirks, but without additional energy hard points to bring meaningful backup lasers, it's hard to back up that single UAC-5. Currently have UAC, MPL, 2xSRM6 and the stock engine. I don't expect a huge payoff in its current setup. I considered a UAC-5 and LRM10 setup for a pure support role, but didn't seem like fun to play and wouldn't do well in solo queue I think.

#6 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 07 October 2015 - 07:21 AM

I'm still grinding the last two Knights out, but I've always loved my Wolvers. Since this is the only current IS mech that can equip a MASC, I think I'll keep it on there. For a 55-ton mech, it's probably better used to reposition than to bug out.

Maybe this?

WVR-7D(L)

2 ASRM6, MPL, 2MGs, AMS, MASC...yeah, a little underwhelming, but at 100kph, should be able to pop up on people's backsides? No idea.

#7 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:12 AM

I'm really not a fan of high facetime builds, so that rules out a single UAC5. Right now, I'm thinking 2xSRM6+LB10X+ML... else 2xSRM6+AC10. Either fits with XL300, which is about as slow as I want to be going in this. All I can think is "man, if I could just fit an AC20 on this thing..."

#8 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:59 AM

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 07 October 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

I'm really not a fan of high facetime builds, so that rules out a single UAC5. Right now, I'm thinking 2xSRM6+LB10X+ML... else 2xSRM6+AC10. Either fits with XL300, which is about as slow as I want to be going in this. All I can think is "man, if I could just fit an AC20 on this thing..."

Not an AC20, but...

WVR-7D(L)

#9 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 07 October 2015 - 09:14 AM

WVR-7D(L)

That's the Gauss variant I'd want to try. Drop to a 300XL to save weight for more ammo, and up the medium to a medium pulse.

Also helps that I have an unused 300XL right now ;) And MPL modules to go along with my gauss modules.

Edited by Luscious Dan, 07 October 2015 - 11:07 AM.

#10 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 11:16 AM

Dunno about those- seems like sacrificing too much punch for a bit of range. Without any useful quirks... I'd much rather have the ability to knock a big hole in somebody. Then again, I think I only have half a dozen long-ranged builds out of... eighty 'Mechs or so? Hehe. Brawling is life. Brawling is love.

What's the MASC boost on this? Is it the same pathetically small percentage as the SHC, or something a teensy bit more substantial, like the EXE? I won't be getting a chance to actually drive mine for a few weeks yet...

Edited by PS WrathOfDeadguy, 07 October 2015 - 11:16 AM.

#11 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 07 October 2015 - 12:28 PM

MASC has different classes based on weight, similar to jump jets really. Shadow Cat has MkII and Wolverine has MkIII. Larger mechs have bigger/heavier MASC, but it gives them a larger top speed boost.

I think the Wolverine has slightly more boost than the Shadow Cat (12% vs. 10%) and there may be some slightly different twist and accel/decel bonuses as well. But basically the same. Big boys like the Executioner get the full MkIV with 20% speed boost if memory serves. Can't quite find the full stat breakdown at the moment.

#12 Alexander Miyamoto

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 15 posts
  • LocationHamburg, Germany

Posted 07 October 2015 - 01:21 PM

i tried it, and it's brutal, how much MASC affects accel/decel... from top forward speed to backwards topspeed in sweet 1 to 1.5s. THAT is what i call a hard break ^^

i like the MASC, but have absolutely no idea what to do with this mech... only "main weapon quirk" (meaning: right arm quirk) is the minus jam chance. So i could probably fit any balistic weapon in there... but as others said, the 6R does that better... so... where lies the strength of the 7D... maybe in the SRM6 quirks? not really, look at the 7K... i have so no idea... wich sucks, i love WVRs, but this one...

Edited by Alexander Miyamoto, 07 October 2015 - 01:22 PM.

#13 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 07 October 2015 - 08:54 PM

View PostDawnstealer, on 07 October 2015 - 07:21 AM, said:

I'm still grinding the last two Knights out, but I've always loved my Wolvers. Since this is the only current IS mech that can equip a MASC, I think I'll keep it on there. For a 55-ton mech, it's probably better used to reposition than to bug out.

Maybe this?

WVR-7D(L)

2 ASRM6, MPL, 2MGs, AMS, MASC...yeah, a little underwhelming, but at 100kph, should be able to pop up on people's backsides? No idea.

This is pretty near what I figured was best, a speedy brawler. Really don't get the UAC quirk as you can only fit one. Have not tried yet, too much fun with the brawling Nova, interesting Cicada and suffering Crabs.

View PostPS WrathOfDeadguy, on 07 October 2015 - 11:16 AM, said:

What's the MASC boost on this? Is it the same pathetically small percentage as the SHC, or something a teensy bit more substantial, like the EXE? I won't be getting a chance to actually drive mine for a few weeks yet...

MASC, see link. Also try this topic.
Different for IS and Clan MASC, scroll down to the New Equipment section.

#14 GeneticAnomaly

Rookie

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:11 AM

I've had a lot of success with this build WVR-7D(L) I ran it with 2x SMR6s before using Artemis I got more dmg then but with srm4s+arti I get better damage focus. I usually get around 300-500 damage and 130-170k a match with it. Although that is in T5 where people don't know how to play.

Edited by GeneticAnomaly, 08 October 2015 - 11:17 AM.

#15 Mordoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 557 posts
  • LocationMWOsna

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:36 AM

This is my variant : http://mwo.smurfy-ne...e71a95ba2567f7c

#16 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 05:56 AM

View PostMordoz, on 09 October 2015 - 05:36 AM, said:

5 tons of AC/10 ammo? 3 should be plenty. At the least that would allow you to put Artemis on the SRMs and make them a lot more effective.

#17 Mordoz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 557 posts
  • LocationMWOsna

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:07 AM

View PostTercieI, on 09 October 2015 - 05:56 AM, said:

5 tons of AC/10 ammo? 3 should be plenty. At the least that would allow you to put Artemis on the SRMs and make them a lot more effective.

I think i don't need Artemis for SRM4 !?
Ok, 100 shots may be a lot, but better than running out of mun with the mainweapon.

Or take this : http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac8c1dbd5dda57f

Edited by Mordoz, 09 October 2015 - 06:08 AM.

#18 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,147 posts

Posted 09 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

View PostMordoz, on 09 October 2015 - 06:07 AM, said:

I think i don't need Artemis for SRM4 !?
Ok, 100 shots may be a lot, but better than running out of mun with the mainweapon.

Or take this : http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ac8c1dbd5dda57f

Since it looks like a brawler build, the MPL is a nice addition, but I still would take Artemis. You're starved for firepower, you need to make every bit count and ASRM4s are tighter than SRM4s by a noticeable amount. That's still way too much AC/10 ammo. It's unlikely you'll get off more than 30 shots in a normal game. I actually forgot that the 10 has had its shots/ton increased (I never use it, it's not a good gun). That was an attempt to make it "weigh a little less" because it doesn't compare at all well with the gauss or 20 tonnage wise.

I'd go deeper, though. If you insist on building around an AC/10, I'd try something like this. It's a lot punchier and it doesn't waste tonnage on extra ammo, DHS or JJ that you really don't need. If you're worried about ammo, you can strip another half-ton of armor off the LA for more.

Whatever you do, watch your ammo at the end of the game. I doubt you ever fire even forty AC/10 rounds. And if you did, you probably had a monster game. Ammo-based builds want to run out of ammo at the end of tight games, or they're over supplied. Once you get a sense of what you're actually using, adjust to that.

Edited by TercieI, 09 October 2015 - 06:44 AM.

#19 Egg90

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 October 2015 - 04:26 AM

I've just been trying an LB 10-X + 2 x SRM6 build which seems to work pretty well at close to medium range. Can't be too triggerhappy with it though. Should probably switch to DHS but I'm trying to save some money.

WVR-7D(L)

Edited by Egg90, 10 October 2015 - 04:31 AM.

#20 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 10 October 2015 - 05:25 AM

View PostTercieI, on 09 October 2015 - 06:43 AM, said:

Since it looks like a brawler build, the MPL is a nice addition, but I still would take Artemis. You're starved for firepower, you need to make every bit count and ASRM4s are tighter than SRM4s by a noticeable amount. That's still way too much AC/10 ammo. It's unlikely you'll get off more than 30 shots in a normal game. I actually forgot that the 10 has had its shots/ton increased (I never use it, it's not a good gun). That was an attempt to make it "weigh a little less" because it doesn't compare at all well with the gauss or 20 tonnage wise.

I'd go deeper, though. If you insist on building around an AC/10, I'd try something like this. It's a lot punchier and it doesn't waste tonnage on extra ammo, DHS or JJ that you really don't need. If you're worried about ammo, you can strip another half-ton of armor off the LA for more.

Whatever you do, watch your ammo at the end of the game. I doubt you ever fire even forty AC/10 rounds. And if you did, you probably had a monster game. Ammo-based builds want to run out of ammo at the end of tight games, or they're over supplied. Once you get a sense of what you're actually using, adjust to that.

The single UAC just doesn't work that well, and MGs require too much facetime. Tried LB 10-X, but that spreads damage too much. (I got them srms already for that). So I went with the build you suggested, but kept the medium PULSE, since with the range module you get 275 m range. I also added two jumpjets for extra maneuverability. To accomodate those I took only 1,5 tonnes of srm ammo and shaved some leg armor off. The MASC really doesn't work with this variant. Shame really, I enjoyed the crazy zig zag accelration you could do with it. U wanna stop? Just realease throttle and press masc toggle to instastop from any speed.

AC10, 2xSRM6, medpulse WVR-7D(L)

Best working build so far.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users