Reported For Suicide (New Feature)

136 replies to this topic

#1 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:42 AM

I have to say I'm not a pilot who runs OoB or even makes suicide runs, but I understand the reason behind those who chose to do it.

As I stated on the patch notes topic, a pilot has had the freedom to chose how he wants to go down.
Something along the lines of "The enemy killed all my allies and will take this land, but I will not die at their hands and will die on my own terms!" seems to be now something that can actually get reported by the use of the new features in the coming patch.

This to me, shows only one thing. PGI is catering to those who whine about the kill they wanted to have instead of keeping the pilots options open.

Yes, the guy suicided and did so with his middle finger pointed up. Suck it up and move on.

This tendency to cater to the need of greedy pilots just doesn't feel right to me.

#2 PurpleNinja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:50 AM

I wonder how PGI will process all the reports, since most actions are subject to each player evaluation, I can report about 10 players every match even without the need to make things up.

#3 Duke Nedo

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 2,184 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:51 AM

Imo the OOB mechanic should be changed.

First choice: make an invisible wall 100-200 meters from the boundary, make it impossible to fire your own guns in this area. Make sure that there are no pockets to hide in where you're invincible from fire. I.e. you can be shot, but you cannot shoot when being OOB.

Second choice: power down the mech after OOB-timer, send a global OOB message so that everyone know where to find the mech

OOB kill is the worst solution imo.

EDIT: Another option: Allow retreat, but hand out a -100,000 cbill penalty for being a wuss.

Edited by Duke Nedo, 20 October 2015 - 03:54 AM.

#4 Duke Nedo

• 2,184 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:56 AM

Perhaps also a word on last-stand-alpha-overheat-suicide, this is something I do all the time when all hope is gone. I have no problem with this at all, but it would be fair if the last person to deal damage on the "suiciding" mech got awarded with the kill.

#5 Raggedyman

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 20 October 2015 - 03:59 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 20 October 2015 - 03:42 AM, said:

This to me, shows only one thing. PGI is catering to those who whine about the kill they wanted to have instead of keeping the pilots options open.

Or they just improved the situation by removing the judgement from a random player appointed Kangaroo Court to PGI staff.

Rather than a wall of noise it'll just be them hitting the button to report, and hopefully there will be less people giving out coordinates for not engaging as a) they can just hit report instead and B ) you can report them for giving out the coordinates.

Seriously, even if PGI just delete every report they receive from this things will improve as a result because everyone will think The Rule Makers Are Watching!

Edited by Raggedyman, 20 October 2015 - 03:59 AM.

#6 Baelfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:03 AM

Suiciding, running out of bounds, overheating on purpose are already reportable offenses, if it creates a disadvantage for your team.

So things have not changed that much, nothing has been taken away, It just becomes easier to actually report an offender. And naturally people will send a report more often and some will be unwarranted, but that is PGI's problem, not ours.

Edited by Baelfire, 20 October 2015 - 04:08 AM.

#7 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:05 AM

The idea of forcing every player to die in combat is just dumb and makes MWO feel even more like a deathmatch arena shooter. Just let people retreat from combat whenever they want after a certain point in the match (e.g. 10 minutes) by moving into a designated retreat zone. If they stand there for 10 seconds, a dropship (without weapons) will come and pick them up. Alternatively, the game will check every 60 seconds if a team's players are in the evacuation zone and send one dropship if anyone's there, to avoid multiple dropships coming in with 1-second intervals.

Or even make it simple. Create an evac zone in the OOB-parts of the map. If you step on that zone, your mech fades from view, representing a successful exit.

Would it kill people if this game had a shred of added realism and immersion?

Can we stop trying to imitate Unreal Tournament? We're already one step away from adding the "M-M-M-Multikill!" and "Killing spree!" sound effects.

Edited by Alistair Winter, 20 October 2015 - 04:08 AM.

#8 l33tworks

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,268 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:18 AM

View PostBaelfire, on 20 October 2015 - 04:03 AM, said:

Suiciding, running out of bounds, overheating on purpose are already reportable offenses, if it creates a disadvantage for your team.

So things have not changed that much, nothing has been taken away, It just becomes easier to actually report an offender. And naturally people will send a report more often and some will be unwarranted, but that is PGI's problem, not ours.

Simply not true. After playing a while there are some situations where you know you are seconds away from death with no little to no hope of escape. On heavier mechs, just dying compared to overriding and getting that last alpha in can mean 60pts+ of extra damage, it can be the difference between your team winning and loosing.

Maybe the person that damaged you most in the last few seconds should get the kill, but you cant say it creates a disadvantage for your team. And even if it does, isn't it within your right to go down how you want?

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:27 AM

I have always supported the right for a player to suicide in game AS LONG AS the player has been contributing to the match up until then. If you want to overheat and blow up, JJ and hard land blowing up both legs, or running out of bounds, so be it. It's your decision.

However I also believe and fully support: If you suicide in match, you should receive a teamkill penalty. You should lose XP and lose CBills just like if you killed a team mate, because you know, you are a member of your own team.

So I fully support having the right to suicide as a last ditch show of defiance if you played the match up to that point, but you also need to deal with the consequences of the action if you choose to TK yourself.

#10 Baelfire

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 112 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:50 AM

View Postl33tworks, on 20 October 2015 - 04:18 AM, said:

Simply not true. After playing a while there are some situations where you know you are seconds away from death with no little to no hope of escape. On heavier mechs, just dying compared to overriding and getting that last alpha in can mean 60pts+ of extra damage, it can be the difference between your team winning and loosing.

Maybe the person that damaged you most in the last few seconds should get the kill, but you cant say it creates a disadvantage for your team. And even if it does, isn't it within your right to go down how you want?

We may have a different definition for "overheating" on purpose".

If someone fires his lasers into the ground until he dies while being miles away from the next enemy, then his only pupose is to overheat and to die. That is already a reportable offense, because it has no benefits for your team at all.

If someone hits override in a fight to get this last alpha off before he dies, then his purpose is to fire his weapons a last time and the overheating is just a side-effect. This hardly qualifies for "creating a disadvantage". It is not the use of the override button that is the offense, it is the abuse of the button for selfish reasons.

The only change that comes with the patch is the ability to report offenders in game, the reasons for an reportable offense do not change at all, unless they are modifying the ToS as well.

Edited by Baelfire, 20 October 2015 - 04:55 AM.

#11 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 04:51 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 20 October 2015 - 04:05 AM, said:

The idea of forcing every player to die in combat is just dumb and makes MWO feel even more like a deathmatch arena shooter. Just let people retreat from combat whenever they want after a certain point in the match (e.g. 10 minutes) by moving into a designated retreat zone. If they stand there for 10 seconds, a dropship (without weapons) will come and pick them up. Alternatively, the game will check every 60 seconds if a team's players are in the evacuation zone and send one dropship if anyone's there, to avoid multiple dropships coming in with 1-second intervals.

Or even make it simple. Create an evac zone in the OOB-parts of the map. If you step on that zone, your mech fades from view, representing a successful exit.

Would it kill people if this game had a shred of added realism and immersion?

Can we stop trying to imitate Unreal Tournament? We're already one step away from adding the "M-M-M-Multikill!" and "Killing spree!" sound effects.

Instead of asking PGI to devote their resources to such a feature (while immersive, is not needed at all in current modes), all you have to do is to stand still if you wish to give up. Easier on all parties.

Letting your pixel robot get destroyed on screen is not a big deal, mates.

Edited by El Bandito, 20 October 2015 - 04:54 AM.

#12 Yellonet

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,956 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:00 AM

Just make OOB suicide painful in terms of xp and c-bills. 0 c-bills and 0 xp for that match.
Overheat "suicide" is part of the game. going out shooting is fine by me.

#13 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:02 AM

I believe I will be requiring to quote myself in an avalanche of threads to come. (Yes, I am lazy)

View PostPyckenZot, on 20 October 2015 - 04:24 AM, said:

The suicide reporting should only be valid if the they concerns people intentionally doing so to specifically limit the chances of their team winning (e.g. during events).

Suicides by out of bounds or overheating get negative points and only annoy people requiring their K/D e-peen to be stroked. These should not be penalised more as that will encourage hiding more often (will this also be reportable?)
Sadly I think these kinds of suicides will be a very significant portion of the reports.

#14 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 20 October 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

I wonder how PGI will process all the reports, since most actions are subject to each player evaluation, I can report about 10 players every match even without the need to make things up.

I guess it's all about statistics.
For instance, if a player manages to collect 10 reports in 10-15 drops in a (short?) period, then there is a problem and pgi investigates.

#15 Trevor Belmont

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:05 AM

I see this being more used for the idiotic light mech pilots that charge directly head on into the enemy and die within the first minute of the game, then quit the match.

#16 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:11 AM

In my dealings with PGI in regards to reports they have always been balanced and fair -- affording an opportunity to defend against malicious or fallacious charges. My concern is that this will lead to far more "QQ he died by overheating while we were brawling so I should report him" causing PGI staff to become bogged down in dealing with the tirades of the many man-childs in the game.

Edited by nehebkau, 20 October 2015 - 05:15 AM.

#17 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:14 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 October 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

Neither is not getting your one extra "pixel" kill.

Such arguments go both ways.

#18 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:15 AM

So much like real life. We go after minor infractions like a police state while ignoring the major crimes of cheating and outright exploiting. Enough evidence exists to get many banned for either yet PGI does nothing. Just like the tourney. Outright in your face cheating went on in video and yet they are all still here. The 66ah fiasco is even worse with outright cheaters returning and mocking all of us.

#19 Alistair Winter

• Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:26 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 20 October 2015 - 04:51 AM, said:

Instead of asking PGI to devote their resources to such a feature (while immersive, is not needed at all in current modes), all you have to do is to stand still if you wish to give up. Easier on all parties.

I practically never drag out the time if I know I have no chance of winning. I'll usually just rush straight at the enemy if I'm outnumbered and last man standing. However, I am all about immersive games. If I cared more about gameplay than the universe and the setting, I would be playing TeamFortress 2. I'm here for Battletech. I'm here to feel like I'm a part of that awesome sci-fi universe where Battlemechs are the most powerful and valuable warmachines in the galaxy, sometimes handed down from generation to generation over centuries.

MWO is already such a watered down Battletech experience, every new gaming element like 'suicide penalty' to force players to just kneel down and die just sticks in my throat.

We lost R&R, Community Warfare is a joke, the maps are the size of a shoebox, the simple placeholder game modes turned out to be permanent, we have no role warfare, no sign of infantry, tanks or other vehicles. This game is begging for more immersion, not more Quake Deathmatch features where a lightning bolt from the sky will strike down players for inactivity.

#20 lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 918 posts

Posted 20 October 2015 - 05:43 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 20 October 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

You can only make 5 reports a day.

On another note, I hope they have enough staff to handle investigations when this game hits Steam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users