Guide

116 replies to this topic

#1 Jet Black Dog

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 11:38 AM

Hello There! New? Re-Noob? Willing to help train / re train new players?

We've created a 'reserve' unit as a 'boot camp' for our new/ newly returned players.
This started with my observation, since not playing since the (previous)Tukkyaid event, that the game isn't as ... welcoming as it was when I came in, in Open Beta...
It became my custom to start sending new players to the few units I knew that still welcomed new players.

I then observed that outside of the solo queue, the game in it's current state, is a bit... rough on new players, and the workaround I came up with was to take as many new players as we could, with a few trainers and ' just in case' enforcers, into CW on Attack - where they are most likely to play other new player pugs.

Things have developed. We now have both official and non-official trainers, from several units, and have been able to schedule ' scrimmages ' with our counter parts in other units:
http://mwomercs.com/...a-first-patrol/

We have assistance from the illustrious CrustyDog, training with the KellHounds & Browncoats Units, and regular scheduled training with the fine fellows from the 2323 Reggies:
http://mwomercs.com/...edule-included/

Since then we, have realized that many of our new players had been put in loyalist units, too quickly, and needed to ' mech bay tour' -
so the current state of the Training Reserve Unit is to be a 'mercenary' unit on tour through all the inner sphere - originally just for the mech bays, although now i hope to have the guys meet new people and see other ways of doing things.
This was originally 'hatched' in the FRR, and most of our current new players will, in time, return there to their original units - but I decided there was no reason to restrict this only to new / re new players ( or trainers ) of only a specific faction.
So - come play with us.
Join as a trainee, or drop with us for some ' hot Pug on Pug action ' in CW attack... join us for a training night... or meet us when we roll through your faction.
If you like how we treat the new players, and think they're in good hands, send your own new players - or come with us as a trainer - let's play together, have some good times, and be open to both future comp level players, and fun casuals.

I want to reiterate this was conceived as a sort of "Boot Camp" for players looking to improve their unit/cooperation and basic skills, to then return to their own unit - or, for those now joining us, to find a unit that fits them ( and vice versa ) - while I am at heart an FRR loyalist, I don't want to restrict anyone to just that ( now I do have this nice propaganda video...
Spoiler

So, if you're interested in meeting , joining, or playing with the " Reserve Training Unit", feel free to msg me in game, or send me a ping on the FRR or comstar NA teamspeak servers.
May the Dakka be with you.

Edited by Mercier, 15 December 2015 - 09:12 AM.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 28 October 2015 - 12:46 PM

Love the idea. I'd be happy running with folk when ya'll drop under the same faction. Currently Clan wolf.

This will, of course, change from time to time.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 28 October 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#3 Donatello Jones

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 03:32 PM

Hey Mercier! I remember you from the match in Frozen City. I asked if the group you were recruiting for is "rookie friendly".

I need all the help I can get. I have 3 Spiders, 3 Firestarters, 3 Locusts, 3 Urbanmechs that I am working to elite. The only non light mech I own is the Nova-C they gave me for spending 50 bucks for MC. I am not the best pilot to be honest but I can see how you guys could help me be a better asset for any team that I am on.

PLEASE friend me and lets do this!

#4 Jet Black Dog

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 09:20 PM

View PostDonatello Jones, on 28 October 2015 - 03:32 PM, said:

Hey Mercier! I remember you from the match in Frozen City. I asked if the group you were recruiting for is "rookie friendly".

PLEASE friend me and lets do this!

Friend invite sent.
I think my response was typed too slow for that match, my apologies.
Bad timing on my part, you missed our 'private match training' - thanks again to the 2323 Reggies :) - but we'll catch you as soon as able, since we ( mostly ) started at FRR, that's a good teamspeak to have - frrts3.tk:9725, pw: Dragon ( open to public regardless of faction ) - and where our more structured training is held ( see 'Calendar of Events' near the very top).
The 'runes of wisdom' there are also quite handy - to be reprinted by permission once the webpage goes up.
We're currently on Steiner in the mech bay tour / merc contract rotation... ( ts1housesteiner.com)
Wow... you really like your light mechs! _ anyway, we'll talk ! - and don't worry, you'll be fine!

View PostLeone, on 28 October 2015 - 12:46 PM, said:

Love the idea. I'd be happy running with folk when ya'll drop under the same faction. Currently Clan wolf.

This will, of course, change from time to time.

~Leone.
Thans, Leone - we're getting pretty good support so far, right now the slow part is getting all those loyalist contracts broken/ cool down so the new guys can 'tour' and get those oh-so-important mech bays to spend their merc-loot on, but maybe next time we can coordinate our rotations,as a couple of units are - assuming you'r not always clan. <o

Edited by Mercier, 28 October 2015 - 09:23 PM.

#5 Fergonaut

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 16 posts

Posted 30 October 2015 - 08:00 AM

The Crows will join in if we are welcome. This is exactly what our unit needs. Our old gaurd badd ass rambo squad has all but moved on. We still have a few aces who may offer to lead a training session too. Ill get the discussion started on our side.

#6 ventura LSJ

Rookie

• The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:51 PM

Noob here....How do you sign up for the "training" missions.....so far Ive only 1 kill (proud of...lol)...and usually get killed in about 30-45 sec due to trying to play with a mouse and keyboard...I have an Xbox One controller I can use...but it doesnt seem to work well with the game...thanks...

#7 Arn0ldSchwarzenegger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 198 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, England

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:45 AM

Everyone plays with mouse and keyboard - its the most efficient, ppl with joysticks are controllers are pretty bad shots. Your obviously new to PC FPS and need time to adjust to using a mouse but trust me and the world agrees, its a **** tonne more accurate (as long as your sensitivity is good)
One reason I hate FPS's on consoles is because the aiming is so crappy with a thumbstick.

Top Tip: Lower your mouse sensitivity until you can easily keep your sights on a specific mech component, not just hit the enemy mech. Once you are capable of being that precise practice and once you find it easy, incrementally increase your sensitivity as you get better.

Edited by Arn0ldSchwarzenegger, 02 November 2015 - 01:47 AM.

#8 Jet Black Dog

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 97 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 01:23 PM

View PostFergonaut, on 30 October 2015 - 08:00 AM, said:

The Crows will join in if we are welcome. This is exactly what our unit needs. Our old gaurd badd ass rambo squad has all but moved on. We still have a few aces who may offer to lead a training session too. Ill get the discussion started on our side.

Fergonaut! Hey! - and Yes, That would be awesome!
Yeah, it's happened to alot of us - and, you know, in ANY game, besides people taking breaks or leaving ( I keep an eye out for old friends 'come-backs') - the difficulty of having a unit that has both casual ( or learning) players and more serious/ competitive players guild in many a game!
Spoiler

... have your people talk to MY people - love to have us all on the same rotation!

View Postventura LSJ, on 01 November 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Noob here....How do you sign up for the "training" missions.....so far Ive only 1 kill (proud of...lol)...and usually get killed in about 30-45 sec due to trying to play with a mouse and keyboard...I have an Xbox One controller I can use...but it doesnt seem to work well with the game...thanks...

Ventura, the schedule for the 'formal' training nights ( the private matches ) is posted in the original post - the informal drops with us - pretty much all the time - we're working on the next scrimmage against some other training units, in the meantime, we do the informal drops i mentioned ( CW attacks with as many trainees as possible with a few 'enforcers and trainer/commander types just in case) - pretty much all the time. Feel free to friend me in game, or - while we are still in Steiner, say hello on the steiner teamspeak hub: ts1.housesteiner.com . Feel free to say howdy, drop with us!
As to the controls, I have to agree with

View PostArn0ldSchwarzenegger, on 02 November 2015 - 01:45 AM, said:

I personally play with a joystick for movement ( with PGI's joystick interface turned off completely, and 3rd party software) - for physical reasons a keyboard is hard for me at length -and a mouse for targeting - but yes, it's pretty much consensus that mouse gives much better targeting than is possible with controllers ( you might consider controller for movement and most common buttons, mouse for aim ) - but, do what works for you - I think in general, start with what works in general, THEN with the basics set, go to modding things to what you're comfortable with.
The mouse sensitivity settings are another topic altogether - whole threads on that.

Edited by Mercier, 02 November 2015 - 02:40 PM.

#9 Nova Yield

• PipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 November 2015 - 03:04 PM

To all new players. SAVE YOUR MONEY.

#10 SethAbercromby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:02 AM

Love the idea Mercier.

I know how rough the game can be on new players, both as someone who's been there back in Closed Beta and trying to pull a number of friends through the grinder with mixed success.

If you ever happen to need an extra for pugs or training, I'd love to help in any capacity I can to make it an as enjoyable experience as possible for new players. We've all been there and they can need it.

#11 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 03 November 2015 - 05:24 AM

View Postventura LSJ, on 01 November 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

Noob here....How do you sign up for the &quot;training&quot; missions.....so far Ive only 1 kill (proud of...lol)...and usually get killed in about 30-45 sec due to trying to play with a mouse and keyboard.

Hang in there Ventura! My first weekend was just like that... okay maybe it was more than one weekend... :). Don't get overly frustrated. Get up, walk around and take breaks (some of the best advice yet I received early on) if things "just aren't going well" that session. I'm still pretty green myself but eeking out improvements as I go is really satisfying and fun. That said, more broadly I'm going to look into all these "training unit" nights and such... hopefully I can connect and pick up more in-the-field education and techniques. Maybe see you in class :)

Edited by Morggo, 03 November 2015 - 05:25 AM.

#12 Vikingur

Rookie

• Korpral
  • Korpral
  • 8 posts
  • LocationStockholm

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:05 AM

Hello,

I would love to get some CW training, I have played around 350 pug and squad matches using the queue and I would love to take the next step. I am currently in a Unit of friends that support FRR, but since they are pretty inactive I could possible leave the unit if it is needed.

I am in the CET (UTC+1) timezone.

I have sent a friend request in-game and installed TS.

Edited by Barrow, 04 November 2015 - 01:12 AM.

#13 Dr Decal

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 01:25 AM

Do you guys have any presence in the American Time Zones. Sounds like the kind of thing I need. all I have so far is a firestarter, an arctic cheetah and a blackjack.

Edited by Dr Decal, 22 June 2016 - 06:33 AM.

#14 DakoneAzura

• PipPip
  • The Hunter
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:40 AM

Yo man you said to come look at this post and I am impressed by this a lot wouldn't mind being apart of this unit!

#15 pudding man

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:09 PM

Hey guys the Reserve would be happy to have you come drop with us, We have trainers and friends in a number of factions presently we are in a rotation of inner Sphere houses for entry level CW training and to help new players earn their level two free Mech bays.

If you are interested in going along send friend invite to Mercier, Pudding man, Pestolents, aska kriget or Haakon miraborg.

#16 pudding man

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hey Implosion
Sorry but limited people in that time zone but there is a small unit we have done some new player training with Called the Kell Hounds (KH) based out of Australia, very nice group of people try sending friend request to Skyoak or Shiro kell.

#17 Pestolents

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:04 PM

Scrimmage notice for our guys, 20:00 central FRR hub Be there!

#18 CaptainYid

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:06 PM

I'd like to join in. Have been playing for a little while and would really love to improve my play. Not familiar enough with the methods of contact you mentioned, so thought I'd try contacting you through the forums.

I'd like to join in. Have been playing for a little while and would really love to improve my play. Not familiar enough with the methods of contact you mentioned, so thought I'd try contacting you through the forums.

#19 Arendelft

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 01:38 PM

Hello Mercier, this is Arendelft dropping by to say howdy! The Judgement Seekers are able and willing to train some new players.

#20 Rerednaw

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:13 PM

Hi everybody...have not really played since beta. Thinking about getting back into the game...going to catch up on the changes via FAQs and vids first. Pretty sure my skills are rusty...especially in the face of Clan tech...just an old IS guy here.

Oh on West Coast time here. So probably evenings or weekends.

Edited by Rerednaw, 27 November 2015 - 06:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users