Why Do People Think 200-350 Dmg Is Good.?

245 replies to this topic

#41 Tahribator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:56 AM

If a team wants to win, they need to do about 250-300 damage per person. If this condition is met, there only needs to be a above-average player in the team, who will do about 500-800 and be the thing that tips the balance in their favor. In a way yeah, if my team averages 250-300 per person than there's a very high chance we're winning it.

That being said, you shouldn't be happy with that average in long term. If you really want to be good, you should be pulling at least 400-500 in all situations. Including losses and steamrolls. Much much more if you want to brag about it.

#42 Xaxius Colnier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:24 AM

as a dedicated light pilot for my unit my job isn't necessarily doing damage.

if im in an ecm light its providing ecm to whoever needs it while keeping an eye out for flank attacks and snipers my average damage on these when I do my job right tends to be around 100-200 yeah that dosent sound impressive because its not, my job isn't to do damage though its to make sure everyone else can by keeping lights off them and keeping ecm up.

if im in my hunter light builds (small mech big gun) my job isn't damage either (at least not "number of points" wise) my job is to constantly look for targets with weak armor or a critical component and break it, its not usually the CT its often a side torso or a leg or even just an arm but a lot of the time it IS a weapon and if I only do between 150-300 damage but the majority of that was breaking through armor, breaking weapons, or legging a mech then I did my job because every time I did that I either made the enemy less lethal and or easier to kill if I get a kill or two the all the better.

if im in my interceptor then my job is to protect the slow heavy mechs from getting shot in the back by sneaky lights or the odd fast medium I usually get between 150 -300 dammage depending on how busy I am keeping my teammates alive. near the end of the match I usually have to go hunting for any remaining enemies (usually lights or mediums) or in the case of a loss I usually die buying one of the assaults as much time to do damage as possible. (people just cant seem to resist chasing a light even when an atlas is shooting them in the back)

however if im running wolf pack with some lance mates that's when I do damage but its usually 200-400 because my lance is focusing fire as we use coms to call targets (when you have 4 fast mechs all focus one assaults ct they each only do roughly 30-50 points each to the target before it dies and thats taking splash into consideration)

and every once in a while ill run an assassin build where ill be that sneaky git that runs a light mech behind enemy lines and kills one or two mechs with focused rear ct shots in those matches I usually do between 150-300 damage before I die but most of it was to the rear torso of enemy mechs that are at least twice my tonnage usually netting me 1-3 kills so I preformed more than adequately because in those cases I trade positive in weight by quite a bit.

so as many others have said its not all about how much damage you do. its about how much you contribute to the victory overall.

Edited by Xaxius Colnier, 01 November 2015 - 04:27 AM.

#43 DrSlamastika

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 702 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:48 AM

LOL :D you dont need DMG!

If you can manage the kill with less damage its better I think.
XL engine, or head shot. Or two alphas to the back and your opponent is death. No waste of time. . .

#44 Peter2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2015 - 04:53 AM

View PostSnowren, on 30 October 2015 - 11:47 PM, said:

why does it matter, I'm apparently the devil himself, or an egotistical maniac looking to whoo women with my MWO skills.

Anyways I'm done with this post let's move along you've all had your fun insulting me.

Actually I'm with you

If I don't pull st least 500dmg in my dire I actually feel a bit bad
If you're in a 100t mech you really need to pull you're weight, or at least I think so personally

Now not all mechs are really high performance, but still 300 is actually nothing

But you know
These forums are actually only populated by ~500 people or so and about 30 names you always see everywhere
forum opinion is actually not that representable statisticly

Just know that you're right, 300 damage is not a lot
It's something I can pull of in my 1 erppc 1 er medium cheetah CW build

#45 Bregor Edain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 263 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:29 AM

It only takes 396 damage to kill an entire team. Anything more and you are sloppy.

#46 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 01 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

Come to think of it. There was this time i did 270 damage on Alpine and i actually contributed as much as a player doing 600. How?
The enemy had taken central mountain as usual and my team was at G9 trying to get an opportunity to mount a charge.

Posted Image

I went around the enemy to I11/H11. From there i shoot the enemy in the rear with my long range weapon (yes...i use mixed range loadouts).
This distracted about half the enemy including several assault and heavy mechs.
They tried to predict where i would come out of cover. They kept failing to hit me since i was only briefly out of cover each time to shoot once and fade away.

Meanwhile my team charged up the H line to destroy them. It became a stomp.
Point is that if i hadn't distracted the enemy my team would have suffered much larger amounts of damage when they charged the enemy position.
That has to be worth something.

#47 VortexD

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:14 AM

Dude probably lives in an apartment, doesn't have kids and flips burgers...Your posts for sure make it appear that way.

#48 FaithBombCRNA

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 118 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 06:21 AM

It has A LOT to do with what builds you are running, what tier you're dropping in, and what queue you're dropping in. For example:

- I've had plenty of games in Cheeto's or Firestarters or even 1E Locusts where I've pulled down 4-5 kills and only hit between 250-300 damage. Especially in tier 3, where people are running meta builds with 6-8 rear torso armor, but don't necessarily have the skill or awareness to match it. This is further magnified if you're dropping in the solo queue where big targets dont have their buddies to watch their backs. I wouldn't consider myself having a bad game if I got 4 kills, 275 damage in a 1E, for example. I WOULD consider myself having a bad game if I pulled down 500 with no kills in a ERLL Raven.

-If I drop in a Wang and only pull down 250 with 2-3 pinpoint kills, I'm happy. If I pull down 500 in a vomit-crow, it's meh.

-Once you get up into the heavies, sure, you should be pulling down much higher numbers consistently. But there are still meta builds that with laser vomit, you can pull down high damage in your sleep without really putting that damage where it needs to be and helping your team. Then there are pure dps machines like the 1N Dragon where the same is true.

#49 Bhodi Li773

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 82 posts
  • Locationwww.PhoenixDominion.com

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:03 AM

As a general rule a good player will post 5X his tonnage in damage in a game.So 45 tons=225. 60 tons= 300, 75 tons= 375, 90 tons =450, and 100 tons=500 damage. If all players post this ratio of damage you win. This is attrition of armor at its best. Strategy,tactics, Suppressive fire ,calling targets ,focus fire , spotting and holding of locks ,placement of uav/arttillery strikes , shooting skills and SITUATIONAL AWARENESS will all affects these numbers. It all comes down to what you personally feel is a GOOD game.When I first started playing posting 250- 350 damage was a good game .Now I feel that 450+ per game is average and over 600 is a good game for myself. I still have games where I post considerably less but still feel i have helped my team to win.Don't expect the raven to carry the team when hes a spotter not a sniper/brawler build.The role you play as a Mechwarrior is more important than straight damage.Just had a game where I posted only 180 damage with my stormcrow but I kitted the enemy team so it was strung out over the entire map. My team just walked behind their position and killed them one by one while I kept their attention on me. Being the cookie or squirrel isn't the most rewarding for score but having 8 + mechs chasing me and taking 7 minutes to finally take me down resulted in 11 alive on my team, me dead ,and opposing team wiped out. Play the game , Don't let the game play you!

Edited by Bhodi Li773, 01 November 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#50 Sydney Sender

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSegmentum Ultima, Imperium of Man.

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

Why are we on page three of a topic in which the OP's stupidity and lack of ability to understand statistical averages has been pointed out numerous times, additionally, just to pile on, in my TBR-S with 2 UAC5s ( with cooldown 5 module) and 4 SPLAS, or my NVA-S with 8 SPLAS and 4 MG, i typically average 600-1100 damage, conversely, in my King Crab (Which has 2 AC/10, 2 MBL(Medium Beam Laser) An LRM 5 and an LRM 10 (stand off weapons are important.) I average between 300 and 500 damage because the slow peice of inner sphere crap only goes 48 KPH and i tend to get cored by its horrible component hitboxes before i can use all my ammo, I rarely get more than half my AC/10 ammo off with the king crab but im still contributing because the enemy has to deal atleast 171 points of damage (If all shots hit CT, 109 front armour with 62 internal structure) Excluding engine crits, to kill me, and because i actually roll my damage it probably takes them around 200 or so to kill me, as such while i havent done my personal goal of damage for a 100 tonne assault mech ( 800+ ) I have still done my JOB as a 100Tn assault, I have tanked enemy fire and prevented the deaths of my smaller comrades. 300 damage is a good average. you will have better and worse matches depending on chassis or build, you will have bad matches, you will get rekt in the rear by 4 arctic cheetahs and a firestarter 3 minutes into the match in your favourite timberwolf, you will walk around the corner in a nova and get shot in the face by four wubbolts and melt like butter in a microwave. But as long as you did some damage, got off a UAV or made the enemy fall back with an arty/air strike, as long as you contributed in some way before you died, you did good son. because even two little points of damage can win or lose a match, i should know, my favourite battlemech in TT (TableTop) is the goddamn locust, which has less armour than some APCs and yet it can still win a match if its all by itself versus three heavies with their arms gone and an open CT, it can still win and only have done 80 damage in that match, that's the point bucko. now go whine about how not everyone is doing 500+ damage or whatever else you care to complain about somewhere else, this topic is posted in a board about helping new players, so be constructive when you post here and try to help a player learn what playstyle best fits them, or teach them something new about the game, like how BAP counters 1 Guardian ECM out to 360m. I dont want to play with a team full of try hards trying to get massive damage, i want to play with a team of pugs that communicates using the in-game chat and VOIP and actually wins the match, i dont care if i do 200 damage or a thousand, because I WON.

TL DR : Damage isnt everything, and this isnt the board for this, this goes in general discussion, not Guides and Strategies. Thanks.

#51 Hastur Azargo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 226 posts
  • LocationGloriana class battleship "Red Tear"

Posted 01 November 2015 - 07:42 AM

This WILDLY depends on a type of mech/build you're running. Laserboats and LURMboats require active engagement time, so if the match snowballed in enfilade/defilade phase, they ain't gonna get any damage out. Dakkaboats can dish out fuktons of damage, unless enemy team realizes that and focuses them down. UAC5 Dakkawhale can deal 1000+ damage, erasing mechs just as they appear in his FOV when supported, or it can get left behind in a NASCAR, then get caught by a pair LOLcusts and dipped nosefirst into dirt with 50~something damage on scoreboard.

There are also marginal builds that NEED double basics to shine, but you can feel the potential even when you roll them the first time. Maps, team dispositions, dynamic weather, emergent lancemate synergy, opportunities that may be missed or capitalized upon, all of those things factor in, and guess what? This is what makes this game AMAZINGLY replayable, in stark contrast with "headless chicken"-style running around common to modern shooters.

Hell, there are so many variables that the matches generate mini-stories as they go. Smallest things, like a Locust outsmarting your hand's targeting movement because it can stop and reverse unlike anything your muscle memory expects. Damage? Sure, that matters too, and so does winning, but what matters a lot more is the epicness of committing a UAC5 XL Enforcer to holding off 3 enemies, losing both hands, twisting and shooting your sole remaining ML and finally going down like a fireball of glory while your teammates run for a cap, beautifully capitalizing on the time you bought them. This is what matters.

TL;DR: Damage doesn't matter as much as fun. I'm generally ok with myself if I did more than ~400, and I'm perfectly content with teammates that managed more than 200 even if we lost, so long as it was a fun match with enough gg and o7.

#52 el piromaniaco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 957 posts
  • LocationVienna

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

Just did 762 DMG ( 5 Kills, 5 Assists) in my CRAB-20 which avg.dmg. is at 348 right now after 13 games (10 Win, 3 Loss, 23 Kill, 6 Death).
In other Mechs (100+) i have other stastistics. 8 are over 300 AvgDmg, 12 are below 100 AvgDmg.
Top Killer is my TDK with 69 Kills, but KDR 0.93 and 208 AvgDmg, 12 mechs have a KDR higher 1.00 their AvgDmg is blahblahblah .....
Sorry, was wandering off Topic there me thinks.
You can set yourself the goal to have more than 300 AvgDmg on any mech you own, for example, well, it should be your pleasure.
But where has anyone been praised for 300 Dmg in a game without deserving any praise for this game at all?
Why does it bother you if others see their 300 Dmg as good, medicore or bad?

Greetings

el piro

#53 STEF_

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

View PostSnowren, on 30 October 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

/Rant

I think you can understand that 250 dmg can be good or bad according to chassis.

your average 600 dmg, with what? Lolcust? Commando? :P

#54 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,659 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostValkyrieCRNA, on 01 November 2015 - 06:21 AM, said:

It has A LOT to do with what builds you are running, what tier you're dropping in, and what queue you're dropping in. For example:

It has just about as much, if not more, on what your target is running than what you are running. Damage done is overall damage done, not simply the damage applied by your mech's weapons. Besides arty/airstrikes, the other damage component would be ammo explosions. You may have triggered the ammo explosion but that damage is still indirect damage, even though it count towards the total damage.

I was not really surprised of the times I had generated 700-1K+ damage in the queues since for 2-3 kills I was close enough to witness the mech dying of ammo explosions. But dang it, it needs to be a bit more spectacular, not just sparkler effect.

#55 Spetulhu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 133 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 08:34 AM

I tested three Stormcrows (had no skill upgrades on them yet) for the Halloween event, the Prime, the AC/LPL variant and the missile guy that I swapped to a Streak boat. The first two survived the match with something over 300 damage done, a kill or two and several assists. Prime also helped cap enemy base. I felt that was good. The Streak boat did over 400 damage before I blundered too deep into the enemy advance and got exploded - no kills. I did not think of that as a good performance.

edit: continued using those for a few matches. Managed to break 550 with the StreakCrow and still thought it was a bad performance despite two kills. Why? Because I could have done more if I didn't once again blunder straight into all the remaining enemies and die. Damage is good but you'd also want to help until the game ends.

Edited by Spetulhu, 02 November 2015 - 11:53 PM.

#56 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 02 November 2015 - 02:20 PM

View PostSnowren, on 30 October 2015 - 07:56 PM, said:

/Rant

There is really only one objective in MWO: do damage. Well, aside from crybabies crying about capping assault too soon and not getting rewards.

200 damage in a Locust is a decent game.

200 damage in a Timby is suspect.

Now for a bit of context: Mechs that can maximize the AVERAGE player's skill and present them with the best tools to do damage are heavy mechs. Particularly Timby and Thuds.

Damage>Mobility>tankiness

So with most builds and considering other players as 'average skill+average mech' 500 damage is good but 300 would be more efficient if uniform through the team.

250 damage all CT is possible but very high skill. Watch old jump snipers with their 20-30 damage alphas. New players underestimate the aim of high skilled player who may have been playing MW games for 10 years.

Spreading damage does get you more cbills though.

#57 Steel Mike Eels

• PipPipPip
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • The Crimson Sentinel
  • 59 posts
  • LocationParagon City

Posted 03 November 2015 - 01:52 AM

As a returning but effectively new player, I've not got the skill that many have so I am usually happy if I feel like I've made a contribution to my team's success.

I was advised by a helpful colleague that if I do roughly 100 damage per class weight, I'd be doing pretty well but that isn't always achievable.

However it's very refreshing to know that when there are people like the OP on my team I'm guaranteed a win.

#58 Fuerchtegott

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 578 posts

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:16 AM

Asking that kind of question, does the OP really believe he will ever be a good player?

#59 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 03 November 2015 - 02:56 AM

I frequently get 300+ damage, then again it is not unusual for me to get less than 200 damage, my most played chassis is the Spider, I love that Mech but it is not a damage dealer, in a Spider I am fine with 250 damage, if I get that much then I have played about as well as the Assaults and Clan heavies dealing 800+, I just do not have the same damage potential.

To those of you who think I should be in a Stormcrow or Timby to do that 800+ myself I honestly belive I would not be anywhere near as useful to the team in those, a Spider is great for harassing, for drawing enemy attention or leading them into a firing line, it is probably the best scout in the game, I have a fair chance of outfighting a Firestarter or ACH if it comes down to a light dogfight, and I frequently kill heavy and assault Mechs I think because they underestimate me, I have even killed a fresh Dire Wolf in a legged Spider, 1 on 1, more than once.

As I usualy go off and scout early in the match, very occasionally (twice so far in 2015) I may get a 0 damage game when an enemy manages to pick me off at range, or if I walk around the wrong corner while scouting.

#60 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 03 November 2015 - 03:52 AM

An example of personal sense of scale.
If I'm using a Light.

300dmg+ = Good

600dmg+ = Very Good

700dmg+ = Excellent

On the the other hand if its an Assault.

300dmg+ = Better than nothing

600dmg+ = Did it's Job

700-800dmg+ = Good

1000dmg+ = Very Good

1300dmg+ = Execllent

I' am also of the opinion that 300dmg from a Gauss Sniper is of more value than 300dmg from SRM vomit.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users