So I Finally Tried My Black Knights Out Of Boredom....

84 replies to this topic

#21 Zordicron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

Thought I would add some other stuff...

Don't brawl in it. Even if you run 9 MPL, you just die, horrible deaths over and over trying to be the front man.

it really plays like a medium-long range support fire mech(meaning, position so you can add damage to the front guys target, NOT hill hump or otherwise) or in other words: a fat medium mech that's like Executioner tall. It's a big target, that, for me anyway, tends to draw fire faster then an in your face Atlas even. I think it's the towering height, but whatever it is, you need to stay inconspicuous.

Also, front load your armor like 98%. seriously, I put 5 rear armor on. 4 on the CT. It's the only way to trade fire more then two times with the red team and not have orange CT internals.

I have found a lot better use of say, an XL350 then say, a STD 280 on this thing, it helps to have the extra speed to position. When you have a range limited loadout(like, PPC OR MPL) maintaining proper range is key to not be gibbed.

I am prolly listing off a bunch of general type things that work for a lot of mechs, but, I do so, because the Black Knight is one of those "does 120 dmg and explodes" mechs if you aren;t on the ball. This is easy to see just looking at end of round screens for anyone running it your team or theirs.

My other loadouts
3LL, ML
9MPL(boring, but played as an assasin it has it's moments)
2ppc in arm, ml
and yeah, triple PPC

of the 4, I think the MPL boat is the only one I put a STD engine in, but I would have to look(had more tonnage then crit space if I recall) I play them sporadically, as I do any one trick pony chassis, because I need me some dakka sometimes.

#22 Ultimax

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:00 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 November 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'm as nostalgia driven as it gets.... which we lock horns over, frequently.

But what kills me, is people assumed it would be based off the MW4 version, when literally NOTHING in this game was based off the MW4 versions....

and anyone who actually knew anything about the originals, knew it would be mediocre, at best.

I don't have anything against nostalgia for a thing on it's own, it's when people lose sight of reason and think a thing is better than it really is that I usually can't resist posting.

I'm sure with the current energy build focused gameplay, some players were hopeful it would be more - but Res Pack 1 was a clear indicator that future mechs would come with very few and very mild quirks overall.

#23 Myke Pantera

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 836 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 01 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

If I remember correctly, many wanted the BlackKnight because they thought this will be our first ECM heavy (for the IS, as counterpart to the Loki). Unfortunately all the ECM variants are in a different era, and PGI stopped gifting ECM hardpoints to mechs that don't have it originally. They should have brought the Lancelot!

Edited by Myke Pantera, 01 November 2015 - 12:19 PM.

#24 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:20 PM

It's pure laser vomit... but hey, run it with a varrying arrary of lasers...

Personally I run around 2Llas 4+mlas and it's fairly fun.

but I do agree, the laser heavy Resistance 2 mechs are just kinda, meh... but I think that's because, well, we're just burned outo a bit on laser meta.

#25 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

Well, i voted for the Grasshopper in the poll back then before the resistance packages, so dont blame me. ;)

Besides, would of voted the Guillotine over the Grasshopper or Black Knight. And the Guillotine has a center torso mounted missile hardpoint, which as TWO slots instead of one on the Grasshopper's head. and as far as im concerned, this makes the Guillotine superior.

Really, the one i find interesting is the Black Knight with the twin AMS points, (and if PGI decides to add an ECM variant.) but still not what i would pay for with real money. but for Inner Sphere laservomit mechs, the BlackJack 1X is the best.

#26 Soultraxx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:26 PM

I quite like my Knights - but then, I quite like laser vomit.

I've fitted out mine with 4 Lpls and with a range module theyre ok. It gets a bit toasty in Caustic and Mordor (and Tourmaline) but hey ho. I forget what size engine but its definately Standards that allow for 76kph tweaked.

Its one of my "go to" mechs when I want to get a good'ish score without drama - which pretty much echos what you said about them being boring I guess.

#27 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:30 PM

How to Achieve Black Knight Success

Step 1: Take any Black Knight and equip 2-4 Large Lasers with 2-6 Mediums and the max XL Engine.

Step 2: Fight opponents on similar level ground and poke from around terrain/buildings.

Step 3: Rinse and Repeat

Step 4: Enjoy your mech meal ;)

Proof:

Posted Image

Personally I love this mech. It looks cool, has the nostalgia, and the chassis performance is, in my opinion, very good for its weight class. The only issues are that you are forced to take an XL and that you have low mounted weapons but you can negate this by corner poking although it is not ideal compared to hill humping. Luckily the tight profile helps you to spread damage well in addition to being a smaller target than say a Timber or Orion when poking around an object. Play it like a larger and slower Enforcer or Wolverine 6K with less heat tolerance but more armor.

Edited by TheSilken, 01 November 2015 - 01:39 PM.

#28 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

View PostHollow Earth, on 01 November 2015 - 01:21 PM, said:

Well, i voted for the Grasshopper in the poll back then before the resistance packages, so dont blame me. ;)

Besides, would of voted the Guillotine over the Grasshopper or Black Knight. And the Guillotine has a center torso mounted missile hardpoint, which as TWO slots instead of one on the Grasshopper's head. and as far as im concerned, this makes the Guillotine superior.

Really, the one i find interesting is the Black Knight with the twin AMS points, (and if PGI decides to add an ECM variant.) but still not what i would pay for with real money. but for Inner Sphere laservomit mechs, the BlackJack 1X is the best.

I'm kinda glad we got the grasshopper's instead though... because I didn't think we'd be getting the Warhammer at the time, and the Grasshopper is the best mech for Proxying an IS warhammer loadout.

#29 Hollow Earth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 300 posts
  • LocationIntergalactic House of Pancakes

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 01 November 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

I'm kinda glad we got the grasshopper's instead though... because I didn't think we'd be getting the Warhammer at the time, and the Grasshopper is the best mech for Proxying an IS warhammer loadout.

Well id also say the Guillotine would also be better at mimicking the Warhammer since it could sport an SRM6. But SRM's are unreliable and now we have our Warhammers on the way.

Also just double chacked, the Grasshopper already has a variant with twin AMS points. so really, is there any reason to pick a Black Knight over the Grasshopper? Unless you want a mastery challenge or have some kind of Marik theme going on?

#30 CMDR Sunset Shimmer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,341 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

View PostHollow Earth, on 01 November 2015 - 01:44 PM, said:

Well id also say the Guillotine would also be better at mimicking the Warhammer since it could sport an SRM6. But SRM's are unreliable and now we have our Warhammers on the way.

Also just double chacked, the Grasshopper already has a variant with twin AMS points. so really, is there any reason to pick a Black Knight over the Grasshopper? Unless you want a mastery challenge or have some kind of Marik theme going on?

To be fair, the Black Knight's overall asthetic is quite pleasing.

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:55 PM

View PostFlash Frame, on 01 November 2015 - 01:53 PM, said:

To be fair, the Black Knight's overall asthetic is quite pleasing.

it's a pretty gundam....

#32 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

people who think that grasshoppers are ok..... i thought they are.
before i played them.
then i played them.... and went back to my quickdraws.
they are so much better than hoppers.... sad that its overlooked hard because *its only a 60 ton heavy*

#33 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 November 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

it's a pretty gundam....

You mean it doesnt fit MWO. Just like the Artic Cheetah.

In that case i agree with you.

#34 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 01:59 PM

View PostMyke Pantera, on 01 November 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

If I remember correctly, many wanted the BlackKnight because they thought this will be our first ECM heavy (for the IS, as counterpart to the Loki). Unfortunately all the ECM variants are in a different era, and PGI stopped gifting ECM hardpoints to mechs that don't have it originally. They should have brought the Lancelot!

97 kph skinny profile 60 tonner, with at least 3 shoulder height energy hardpoints, and possible variants that jump or have ballistics arms?

YES PLEASE!

I've got to update my redesign of that, TBH......

View PostSarlic, on 01 November 2015 - 01:57 PM, said:

You mean it doesnt fit MWO. Just like the Artic Cheetah.

In that case i agree with you.

bingo

#35 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:07 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 November 2015 - 01:59 PM, said:

97 kph skinny profile 60 tonner, with at least 3 shoulder height energy hardpoints, and possible variants that jump or have ballistics arms?

YES PLEASE!

I've got to update my redesign of that, TBH......

bingo

I really don't like the way MWO is heading though.

But frankly i am getting more tired of these mech screamers as well. But that's more personal.

Edited by Sarlic, 01 November 2015 - 02:07 PM.

#36 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:27 PM

Bish, while I agree with you in principle... The truth is the same point can be made for over 75% (this is an arbitrary number for those of you wish to be picayune) of the full mech stable from beginning to end.

At some point all the different mech chassis converge and overlap in some cosmic vanishing point... There are only so many weapon hard-points, weapon types and classes.

In the end it boils down to hit-boxes, nostalgia and personal preference because when all is said and done... that's all that's left to distinguish one mech from another.

#37 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 November 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

Is there some Black Knight guru who has unlocked the secret of this mech that could give some input? :wacko:

BL-6-KNT® with xl355 no endo, 2 LL 6 meds, 2 ams BAP 21 DHS.
BL-6B-KNT with xl355, endo, 2 LPL in the arms, 5 medpulse, 20 DHS.
BL-7-KNT with xl350, endo, 2 PPC in the right arm, 6 med pulse in the torso's/head, 19 DHS.
BL-7-KNT-L with xl385, endo, 2 ERLL in the right arm, 6 meds, 20 DHS.

The Black Knight is actually a decent mech once you get used to it. Use it kinda like a Timber, use its speed to its advantage, take advantage of its long range options. It actually has pretty decent firepower.

PGI messed up with the quirks. The only one that is competitive in any way is the 6B. It has the 10% heat gen and highest range for all laser hardpoint weapons overall at 12.5%. All of the Black Knights should have gotten these quirks as a baseline and then PGI should have specialized each chassis with additional ppc/erppc/pulse laser/medium laser quirks to differentiate them and give them variety and flavor.

Instead, your stuck with the 6B for the best builds because it really needs those quirks. The 6R variant is useful for dual ams and slightly longer range meds, the 7 is ok at PPC's that fire really fast but you might as well run that config on the 6B imo, and if you want speed and laser duration go for the 7-L.

I like my 6B very much. I wish PGI would bring the others up to snuff, because this chassis deserves much better quirks.

Also, as a side note I really don't know why they didnt give at least 1 variant JJ's. Really stupid move by the dev team imo, taken from sarna :

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Black_Knight

"During the Succession Wars many Black Knights fell into the hands of the Great Houses, although as the years progressed they were increasingly forced to repair them with inferior components and their numbers slowly decreased. Some were modified with a number of non-standard components such as jump jets"

Edited by Alwrath, 01 November 2015 - 02:56 PM.

#38 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

It was the first Mech to have a two-tier playing field.

#39 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 02:58 PM

View PostAlwrath, on 01 November 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

BL-6-KNT® with xl355 no endo, 2 LL 6 meds, 2 ams BAP 21 DHS.
BL-6B-KNT with xl355, endo, 2 LPL in the arms, 5 medpulse, 20 DHS.
BL-7-KNT with xl350, endo, 2 PPC in the right arm, 6 med pulse in the torso's/head, 19 DHS.
BL-7-KNT-L with xl385, endo, 2 ERLL in the right arm, 6 meds, 20 DHS.

The Black Knight is actually a decent mech once you get used to it. Use it kinda like a Timber, use its speed to its advantage, take advantage of its long range options. It actually has pretty decent firepower.

PGI messed up with the quirks. The only one that is competitive in any way is the 6B. It has the 10% heat gen and highest range for all laser hardpoint weapons overall at 12.5%. All of the Black Knights should have gotten these quirks as a baseline and then PGI should have specialized each chassis with additional ppc/erppc/pulse laser/medium laser quirks to differentiate them and give them variety and flavor.

Instead, your stuck with the 6B for the best builds because it really needs those quirks. The 6R variant is useful for dual ams and slightly longer range meds, the 7 is ok at PPC's that fire really fast but you might as well run that config on the 6B imo, and if you want speed and laser duration go for the 7-L.

I like my 6B very much. I wish PGI would bring the others up to snuff, because this chassis deserves much better quirks.

Also, as a side note I really don't know why they didnt give at least 1 variant JJ's. Really stupid move by the dev team imo, taken from sarna :

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Black_Knight

"During the Succession Wars many Black Knights fell into the hands of the Great Houses, although as the years progressed they were increasingly forced to repair them with inferior components and their numbers slowly decreased. Some were modified with a number of non-standard components such as jump jets"

because no factory variant came with JJs. Those were occasional custom jobs. They decided to limit JJs. If your Bks could have them, technically pretty much ANY mech in MWO should.

#40 ShadowFire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 211 posts

Posted 01 November 2015 - 03:15 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 01 November 2015 - 09:55 AM, said:

I'm as nostalgia driven as it gets.... which we lock horns over, frequently.

But what kills me, is people assumed it would be based off the MW4 version, when literally NOTHING in this game was based off the MW4 versions....

and anyone who actually knew anything about the originals, knew it would be mediocre, at best.

Yep, PGI pre-nerfed the Black Knight, building in mediocrity.

One thing the MW4 Microsoft and Mektek folks were good at was they gave us FUN mechs regardless of what the "lore" said. A few tweaks to JJs, ballistic slots on a laser mech, or energy slots on a gun boat, better placement of weapon slots, whatever it took. PGI could have placed the torso mounts higher, plenty fan art of Black Knights did so, but no it was not to be. A few crappy pics from the "lore" books had them in the belly so we got screwed.

PGI did give themselves an "out" in the Black Knight's description saying there were major compromises in their configurations as the higher tech was lost. So maybe future Black Knight chassis with be "new and improved" models as lost tech is reincorporated in the tech base..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users