Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman...like Or Dislike The New Designs?

79 replies to this topic

#21 Autofire

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:47 AM

Juodas, love that image of the MAR. I like the boxier, rough look to it. Hell, modern day tanks use angles to deflect ballistic shots. The Abrams and Leopard have sharp angles on the hull and turret that could cut cheese. Either way, your getting what I'm thinking of. Either way...final summary...all 3 could be more boxy/rigid looking (within HG limits). Ultimately, the loadout is going to make the difference, and I really really really hope they don't stray from the stock (sexy) loadouts. If PGI does decide to mess with the IT/Armor/Hardpoints/Engine, it better be balanced or I see major uproar coming from the community. You can't screw with 3 of the most well known unseen mechs and get away with it.

Btw, isn't the AC on the MAR shifted to one of the side torso's on the MWO version?

#22 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:49 AM

They all feel rushed.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:02 AM

View PostAutofire, on 07 November 2015 - 06:35 AM, said:

I'm a fan of your analysis, Bishop. I know they are trying to design as close as possible without making waves, I'm just glad they are even releasing the unseen mechs. I want to see the Phoenix Hawk next, I know its not very known but paired up with a good Shadow Hawk build you could wreck people. Sorry to say, Fenrisulvyn, while your point may be valid or not, we are debating personal opinion in the new unseen mechs. Hit up the technical based forum threads with that issue.

thanks. While not in their league as an artist, I do pride myself on the design side some.

Both Shim and FD have been trying to do the near impossible, redesign fan favorites enough to not get sued, while still hitting the old guard in the feels. Not a desirable job.

View PostAutofire, on 07 November 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

Juodas, love that image of the MAR. I like the boxier, rough look to it. Hell, modern day tanks use angles to deflect ballistic shots. The Abrams and Leopard have sharp angles on the hull and turret that could cut cheese. Either way, your getting what I'm thinking of. Either way...final summary...all 3 could be more boxy/rigid looking (within HG limits). Ultimately, the loadout is going to make the difference, and I really really really hope they don't stray from the stock (sexy) loadouts. If PGI does decide to mess with the IT/Armor/Hardpoints/Engine, it better be balanced or I see major uproar coming from the community. You can't screw with 3 of the most well known unseen mechs and get away with it.

Btw, isn't the AC on the MAR shifted to one of the side torso's on the MWO version?

View PostAutofire, on 07 November 2015 - 06:47 AM, said:

the AC5 is supposed to actually be in the RT, according to the record sheets (it sure wont fit in the CT!). Am a little surprised the CGL one didn't kick it over a bit more, TBH.

But I definitely love the turreted feel over the crowded and nested style Alex used (which in fairness to him, is what Shimmering Sword had done on the version so revered on these forums, and so was likely the inspiration for the redesign)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 November 2015 - 09:32 AM.

#24 Autofire

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 11 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:07 AM

For a Steiner, your alright in my book, Bishop lol

#25 Xoco

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 281 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:12 AM

Love the concept art for all 3.

I'll hold my opinion until I see Warhammer and Rifleman 3D model first. Most of the mechs look nothing like their concept art from what I noticed in the game.

#26 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

Need to see 3d models first, and animations.

#27 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostXoco, on 07 November 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

Most of the mechs look nothing like their concept art from what I noticed in the game.

I disagree.
Most of them look pretty close, with the most often crime being messed-up proportions on mechs like the Centurion.
The only one that, in my opinion, was butchered is the Quickdraw (everything above the legs is completely messed up)

Even the Wolfhound didn't have as bad of a transition as the Quickdraw (to be honest, Wolfhound's transition from the ortho to model is pretty spot on, at least for the standard geometry)

#28 BadgerWI

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 126 posts
  • LocationNorthern Continent, Second Try, Chaos March, Federated Commonwealth

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:20 AM

Are they perfect? No. Do they do more justice to the original designs than the first Crack at the "reseens" 15 years ago you bet. I love them. The Warhammer deviates the most from the source the most bur if you went back in time and showed the new design to 14 year old me and asked him what mech that was he'd tell you that's a Warhammer.And I think that's all we can ask for and not have pgi get into hot legal waters.

#29 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:16 AM

Someone was nice enough to compile an image with all 3.
The Rifleman and Warhammer legs look great (same legs, but they weren't all that different in the TRO either). However the Torso's are where things really deviate. The hard edges, sharp angles, and industrial aesthetic are gone, replaced with a rounded clan-esqe influence. And the arms of both the Warhammer and Rifleman are a hot mess, gone is any semblance of the original design, they just look terrible.

As for the marauder, the arms are too short, the legs are too short, the body is too long. There are curves where there should be edges, and edges where there should be curves. It reads like a Crab variant rather than a Marauder.

Posted Image

Edited by Agent 0 Fortune, 07 November 2015 - 09:18 AM.

#30 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:32 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 07 November 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

The Rifleman and Warhammer legs look great (same legs, but they weren't all that different in the TRO either). However the Torso's are where things really deviate. The hard edges, sharp angles, and industrial aesthetic are gone, replaced with a rounded clan-esqe influence. And the arms of both the Warhammer and Rifleman are a hot mess, gone is any semblance of the original design, they just look terrible.

As for the marauder, the arms are too short, the legs are too short, the body is too long. There are curves where there should be edges, and edges where there should be curves. It reads like a Crab variant rather than a Marauder.

Posted Image

well, we agree on the arms and the Marauder, at least.

#31 Throbbinwood

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:34 AM

I like them all, however I will be waiting to see in game models before I purchase. I have been left jaded after a lot of the poor transition from concept to model.

#32 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:40 AM

View PostThrobbinwood, on 07 November 2015 - 09:34 AM, said:

I like them all, however I will be waiting to see in game models before I purchase. I have been left jaded after a lot of the poor transition from concept to model.

I still can't believe how badly they butchered the head on the Enforcer.... or that Russ says it looks the same to him.

#33 Juodas Varnas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 November 2015 - 09:40 AM, said:

I still can't believe how badly they butchered the head on the Enforcer.... or that Russ says it looks the same to him.

Posted Image

#34 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:45 AM

View PostAgent 0 Fortune, on 07 November 2015 - 09:16 AM, said:

Posted Image

I dont care about the old art at this point. The original lineart for the unseens is ****, its fiery japanese ****.

I like these new designs, but im not buying the rifleman until the rebalance is done, and only if the rebalance isnt ****.

#35 Durant Carlyle

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:52 AM

Yes the Marauder arms are too short ... but can you imagine the hate that would be spewed at it if the arms were as long as they should be? The top of the weapon pods hanging right at knee level would be a disaster.

The only one that's iffy for me is the Rifleman. Partly because we didn't need it yet -- should have been a Phoenix Hawk or even a Crusader. But mostly because with the angle and dynamic pose I can't really tell what it looks like. Need to see the in-game model before I make final judgement.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 07 November 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#36 Lucian Nostra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:54 AM

Honestly I've been incredibly impressed with the artwork. It's been faithful to the original designs, you look at them and go "is that a new warhammer?" You don't look at it like the original reseen designs and go "which mech is that?"

I really hope PGIs modelers get it right with these mechs because that's going to be the real test.. if it's just boxy lasers and stubby guns.. uggh..

edit: What people need to get over are the original designs.. Your not going to get the Robotech designs guys.. things have to be changed but when you can see the design and realize what it is right away.. that's golden

Edited by Lucian Nostra, 07 November 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#37 Felbombling

• 2,978 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

Alex is the single most important employee at PGI, in my opinion. Love all three redesigns so far and cannot wait to see what he'll do with the Phoenix Hawk. If I had to choose, I'd go Marauder, Rifleman then Warhammer. I think the arms on the Warhammer killed it for me... they're too front heavy or something.

#38 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,010 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

I don't like the idea of taking stuff from robotech

#39 Summon3r

• 2,291 posts
  • Locationowning in sommet non meta

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

warhammer and rifleman (exlcuding legend killer effing awful!!) look excellent, marauder i am dissappointed in though the gun is not centerline as it is supposed to be hte torso is missing its classic marauder look.

PGI had an oppurtunity to really step up their game with the marauder and that centerline gun by adding a new value to the mech such as we saw in MW 4 where that top mounted weapon was its own spot with its own armor that could be blown off with out causing actual torso damage, they could have done this with Summoner and Thunderbolt as well among others.

#40 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

I like all three, perhaps not so much the Warhammer. I always thought the Marauder looked derpy. Never liked the combat pod thing from Macross. And it bothers me even more as a 75 ton heavy. But the new version makes it look like a proper heavy mech. I especially like the legs. Mmm, sexy.

The Rifleman takes a lot of inspiration from the original art. Even the arms take a good level of inspiration from it. They have that protrusion on the side. Including that square hole, a vent probably. The only thing they add extra is the vent protrusion at the top end of the arm. The other thing of course is that the two barrels look different. But they are of course two different weapon models.

The warhammer takes on the general shape of the original. While swapping out the box launcher for MWO SRM launcher. And shrinks the box on the other shoulder. I'll agree that the arms look weird. They seem more dainty. Less military cannons.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users