Marauder, Warhammer, Rifleman...like Or Dislike The New Designs?

79 replies to this topic

#41 ChronoBear

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 76 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:28 AM

The only one I pre-ordered was the Warhammer ... because well to me I must have everything Warhammer.

The other two I will be waiting to see what the ingame model looks like. The concept art is FANTASTIC!!!!!

However the 3D model, that can be a different story

Color me cautiously optimistic.

Edited by ChronoBear, 07 November 2015 - 10:29 AM.

#42 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:32 AM

View PostSummon3r, on 07 November 2015 - 10:11 AM, said:

...marauder i am dissappointed in though the gun is not centerline as it is supposed to be hte torso is missing its classic marauder look.

PGI had an oppurtunity to really step up their game with the marauder and that centerline gun by adding a new value to the mech such as we saw in MW 4 where that top mounted weapon was its own spot with its own armor that could be blown off with out causing actual torso damage, they could have done this with Summoner and Thunderbolt as well among others.

The weapon was never on the centerline, according to the rules. It was always in the right torso. It appeared on the centerline because they stole the Glaug pod look from HG. The "classic" look was always wrong and always bugged me because of it.

And it would be a bad idea to have extra areas on certain 'Mechs ... unless you want to make all weapons their own pods with their own armor and structure that can be destroyed independently of the area where the weapon is stored.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 07 November 2015 - 10:34 AM.

#43 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

Overall I like them, but theres a couple things I don't care for.

The elbow joint of the Warhammer being one, its just really awkward looking and I think it would've been better to have moved the joint lower and have had less of an excess to the lower arm curving up.

Meanwhile the CT on the Rifleman, while aesthetically nice, worries me about similar issues the Dragon has ingame. In fact, it looks much more prominent than the Dragon's CT which still has some ST coverage to a point.

I do like the clunkier Marauder style personally, but I figure that it gives off a nice Star League aesthetic to the mechs. Not quite Clan designs yet but a more futuristic look than the IS mechs tend to have.

Edited by MauttyKoray, 07 November 2015 - 10:51 AM.

#44 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:17 AM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 07 November 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Overall I like them, but theres a couple things I don't care for.

The elbow joint of the Warhammer being one, its just really awkward looking and I think it would've been better to have moved the joint lower and have had less of an excess to the lower arm curving up.

Meanwhile the CT on the Rifleman, while aesthetically nice, worries me about similar issues the Dragon has ingame. In fact, it looks much more prominent than the Dragon's CT which still has some ST coverage to a point.

I do like the clunkier Marauder style personally, but I figure that it gives off a nice Star League aesthetic to the mechs. Not quite Clan designs yet but a more futuristic look than the IS mechs tend to have.

the arms will block side shots to the CT, pretty well on the RFL.

#45 Whatzituyah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,236 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn a dark corner waiting to alpha strike his victim.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:28 PM

View PostMakenzie71, on 07 November 2015 - 06:37 AM, said:

I like them, but wish they were more like the originals...my concession is that I understand the reasons to deviate from the originals and I appreciate their efforts to get these machines included even if not quite what we were hoping for.

The people complaining about the designs need to understand that they're still close enough to be considered infringement.

What you read law books or something? What is considered close enough?

#46 Stahlknecht

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 12:29 PM

I cant see anything new on these mechs. They are always only optical variations of the same old.
I would like to see some new functionality.

#47 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:03 PM

View PostStahlknecht, on 07 November 2015 - 12:29 PM, said:

I cant see anything new on these mechs. They are always only optical variations of the same old.
I would like to see some new functionality.

Nothing new? Optical Variations? The hell are you on about? These are established mechs in the IP that are being brought to us. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, PGI aren't going to just make new mechs in an existing IP. They don't have the power/rights to create new mechs as far as I know, just reproduce the existing ones.

#48 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

View PostMauttyKoray, on 07 November 2015 - 01:03 PM, said:

Nothing new? Optical Variations? The hell are you on about? These are established mechs in the IP that are being brought to us. Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to say, PGI aren't going to just make new mechs in an existing IP. They don't have the power/rights to create new mechs as far as I know, just reproduce the existing ones.

think he's talking about new hardpoints, mechanics, etc. Since new weapons really won't add anything new, either, since they'd still be linked to old hardpoints.

At least, that's the only semi logical thing I can think of.....

and to a degree, he's right. But unless one plays a game where they just constantly make up random new crap, then yeah, it's all variations of an existing theme.... and most of us know that... so I can only assume the poster is whining and tryign to sound "smart" about it.

#49 Voras

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 131 posts
  • LocationMunich, GER

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:09 PM

Totally love all the designs. I am really happy with the redesigns of all three mechs.
Now we really need Phoenix Hawk, Archer, Wasp, Stinger... ;)

#50 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:21 PM

1,Warhammer 8.5/10
2,Marauder 7.5/10
3,Rifleman 6/10

Warhammer is so close to being perfect, only thing I dislike are the elbow's far to fussy, but then I think the IP might come into effect, so i'm cool with it.

Marauder I was never a fan of the gouald comand pod or however it's spelled, I think the MAD looks good, only down with it, looks to similar side on to the King Crab.

Rifleman without going on and on about the puke colours of the Hero, the CT juts out to far making the cockpit look bad, not only that, but the rifleman and Warhammer have identical and interchangeable lower halves, this is clearly not the case in this instance

#51 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:24 PM

I like the marauder and warhammer quite a bit and pre-ordered both but the rifleman does nothing for me.

#52 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:32 PM

The only 2 pieces I see reused are the 'hip' and the lower leg. To be fair though the original battletech art have similar lower leg designs too. The only thing I can really say is the feet look tiny on the warhammer compared to the rifleman (granted a 10 ton difference).

Posted Image

#53 Phashe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • LocationBuckeye stuck in Michigan

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:35 PM

All far enough from the "unseen" that they are still unseen. Meh across the board. Plus, what do they bring NEW to play that you do not already have in 5 other mechs? Lipstick really enough for people? Not me anymore...

#54 ArandomSTD

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:46 PM

Loving the Rifleman.....

The hero paintjob looks unreal!

#55 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 01:52 PM

View PostPhashe, on 07 November 2015 - 01:35 PM, said:

All far enough from the "unseen" that they are still unseen. Meh across the board. Plus, what do they bring NEW to play that you do not already have in 5 other mechs? Lipstick really enough for people? Not me anymore...

If you want a single mech for every role, HAWKEN does that pretty well with some minor overlaps. Battletech has a ton of mech designs, plenty of which overlap one another to any varying degree. The only things that will 'bring something new' are mechs, weapons, or technologies that don't exist yet in the game's timeline.

#56 OznerpaG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 977 posts
  • LocationToronto, Canada

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

rifleman and warhammer look fantastic, but no go on the marauder- that cockpit looks horrible

also the top engine/speed on the marauder is unacceptable in my books

#57 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

I like them very much. They do homage to lore but are updated...yet absolutely recognizable. Well done, Alex. Well done.

#58 Kassatsu

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 1,078 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:39 PM

Not a big fan of the marauder, I would have no idea what mech it's supposed to be if I were to see the concept art with no context.

Warhammer looks great, and is probably one of the best redesigns yet (as long as those rifle arms make it into the 3d model anyway).

Rifleman also looks good, but none of them really struck me as much as the marauder did when I fired up MW2 for the first time.

I'll say this much: All three of them beat the crap out of the Nova and probably even the Ebon Jaguar redesigns. I wish they at least tested the thought of using the original designs that had almost no torso twist, should have given them better turn rates and acceleration/deceleration to balance it out. I don't even care how unfeasible the thought of having the leg joints in the shoulders are for actual robotics - Last time I checked, this was a game.

#59 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

Marauder looks good, but the RIfleman and Warhammer are sub par.

#60 Keeshu

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 470 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

Outside of MWO, the only game I've played with these mechs were in Mechwarrior 2. That game took up a lot of my childhood. However it only has the very basic idea of the IIC counterparts due to being an old game. So I'm fairly new to the specifics on the design of these mechs.

Warhammer is general yet perfect in my opinion. If someone asks me what a mech in battletech is supposed to look like, I'd point towards the Warhammer.

Maruader is an interesting one. I always loved the Marauder for being that very tall, long skinny mech with PPCs in Mechwarrior 2. The arms are too short for my liking. Though in general, I'm not a fan of any of the Marauder designs outside of the Marauder IIC 2 image on sarna if that counts. However I do love this design for it's own reasons. Overall MWO's Marauder reminds me of an in-between for the Crab and King crab, but taking more hints from the King Crab (which is my favorite Assault visually in MWO, tied with the Mauler) especially with the torsos and short bulky arms. The cockpit is one of my favorites in MWO now (but I'm biased torwards open cockpits).

Rifleman.... Rifleman and Rifleman IIC look vastly different from each other in the torso section, but I never cared much for the torso section anyways. The MWO Rifleman torso looks the best so far, the high shoulder thing is high, but not so rediculously high that it sort of looks a bit ugly like the original design. The one constant that I've always loved about the Rifleman in all it's versions is sweet legs, and those very long barrels. The only thing that bothers me about MWO's re-design is why is there a decent size shoulder chunk thing on the back of the arms? It sort of ruins the sleek look of the rest of the arm with the shape it has.

With all that said, these 3 mechs look more like clan mechs, than the Inner Sphere mechs in the game right now. So that could be part of my bias towards liking them. Also, these 3 mechs are the first Inner Sphere heavy mechs that make me go "I need to have that mech!" since closed beta because of their appearance (other must have IS heavies for me are Catapult and Dragon).

Gameplaywise though, I'm not sure how much I'll play of each other them. Marauder will be my go-to direct fire mech though, cause it's the one with jumpjets. Rifleman will be fun for hillhumping whenever I don't want to do the 2 PPC + 4 small laser BJ3 build, and I will prefer it over the Jagermech because of looks and dem sweet shield arms. Warhammer is the only one I'm worried about because there's nothing special about it, but that is also why I like the mech, being the general yet perfect mech. So I might use him whenever I want to use just a normal mech.

32 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 32 guests, 0 anonymous users