Steam Launch Officially Announced

138 replies to this topic

#81 William Slayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 375 posts
  • LocationSchools out at the Coventry Academy...

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:22 PM

I have never experienced a "steam release" so I can't speak to that. I will say the NPE is ALOT better than we used to have. I remember slogging through member posted tutorial guides for months as I learned to play about two years ago.

However, it makes me scratch my head to look at the CW map right now and think "THIS is what you want to show a flood of new players?"... Maybe December is going to have another reset of the CW map?

#82 Sarlic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

ggclose

As i and many others predicted the date somehwat already.

Edited by Sarlic, 12 November 2015 - 10:24 PM.

#83 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:24 PM

This is gonna be a target rich environment now!

Edited by Novakaine, 12 November 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#84 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:29 PM

Aside from announcing a time-line quantum leap expansion... this is really their last ditch effort at getting a larger player base.
But the problem here is retaining that influx of players. MWO isn't there yet. The unfortunate part is we're missing story behind why we are fighting and the lore behind CW. We're missing CW phase 3 and all of the future changes that are due to follow (see the improvements they made between Dec '14 to Apr '15) to help solo players collaborate and understand which planets they should be attacking.

"Mostly Negative" could be a wake up call for PGI
"Very Positive" could be a sincere "good-bye, you won't be missed" those who constantly groan and moan about the game.
Or, it could be nothing at all; gets rated as "Mixed" and MW:O doesn't really gain or lose players, or both gains and loses players at the same rate.

Hoping for the best, but expecting very little.

My expectation though, as with most steam reviews, is very little quality in the reviews themselves.
SaltyMechwarrior_1 posts a Not Recommended review:
  • "This is a minimally viable product. It's lacking X, Y, Z, and fails at A, B, C. Blah blah blah. 1/10"
Any "Broken-Promises" cultists or person caught up in their own vendetta who catches wind of the game going on steam will basically love the snot out of this review, and praise him about how he's preaching the truth. Others follow suite and that'll be it. Sure you can focus all on the bad, but that's not a fair review.
There are good reviews though - I like to read ones that talk about the initial experience, and also give pro's/con's about the game. If they give a main suggestion for improvement, that is a big + for me as it can say bucket loads about where the game is at.

Will I care what happens? Of course.
Will I be surprised? I'll really only be surprised if the reviews tip to any extremes. I am leaning towards more positive than negative reviews, but I guess we'll see.

#85 Lindonius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationTokyo

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:30 PM

View PostPjwned, on 12 November 2015 - 09:43 PM, said:

Oh well, he can block whoever he wants if he doesn't want people tweeting criticism at him, whether it's fair criticism or not.

He can't block criticism on Steam. I smell founders sharpening their disemboweling knives.

#86 sokitumi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:37 PM

View PostSandpit, on 12 November 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

I was here and yes there was
(lots actually)
(like universally)
I mean literally, it was the last time I can actually remember the forums and community being near unanimous about something.

Yeahp. But I remember getting just near-unanimously white knighted for calling pgi on their bs in CB tho. The only time people were in general agreement then was that it was too early for open beta, as if PGI had actually planned to do something more....

View PostNovakaine, on 12 November 2015 - 10:24 PM, said:

This is gonna be a target rich environment now!

Yeah i doubt it will last, give steam about 3 days for a boatload of red thumbs.

Edited by sokitumi, 12 November 2015 - 10:39 PM.

#87 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

View Postsokitumi, on 12 November 2015 - 10:37 PM, said:

Yeahp. But I remember getting just near-unanimously white knighted for calling pgi on their bs in CB tho. The only time people were in general agreement then was that it was too early, as if PGI had actually planned to do something more....

More than minimally viable?

3 years is more than enough time to determine that... at least for some of us.

#88 N0MAD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:38 PM

View PostLindonius, on 12 November 2015 - 10:30 PM, said:

He can't block criticism on Steam. I smell founders sharpening their disemboweling knives.

That wont be so bad, there is only 70k founders..

#89 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

gg clothes, pgi

http://mwomercs.com/...mplete-failure/

#90 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:48 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 12 November 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

"Mostly Negative" could be a wake up call for PGI

Let's clear this out, Moon.
Pgi never slept or "didn't listen": they are simply doing this on purpose from day 1: money grab (legit, because nobody woks for free) with a minimal viable product.

The sad thing is thier plan.
Meanwhile it would have been far better for us and far more profitable for them selling and supporting a good game.

#91 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:54 PM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 12 November 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

I had projected this a while back, based on PGI's reaction to stuff.

While I'm no prophet, but man... PGI is so easy to get a read on these things.

Ah...

#92 Bloody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 569 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

as a long term netizen, it will be my one chance to do some good by warning anyone from playing this game on steam!

#93 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:09 PM

A lot of people won't even give this game a chance based on the avalanche of negative comments some of "us" will pour on it the second it appears on steam. Actually a bunch of "us" on HBS' Battletech forums right now wishing death to MWO and PGI like on some crazy ex-girlfiend will jump at the chance. That's unfortunate. If you look at it from a desinterested point of view, this is a nice arena shooter. On that basis alone it should be able to gather some positive attention. Sadly for us, it's currently not close enough to what it could have been with regards to being a Battletech Mechwarrior game...

It might happen with time and an influx of new paying customers... but I'm pretty sure some of "us" won't let that happen.

Keep in mind that if this game dies, it'll be two years before anything Battletech comes by again and those same people will be waiting on HBS' game with knives and pitchforks should it not be up to what they wanted.

Case in point: the post above mine :)

Edited by ChapeL, 12 November 2015 - 11:10 PM.

#94 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:05 AM

View PostStefka Kerensky, on 12 November 2015 - 10:48 PM, said:

Let's clear this out, Moon.
Pgi never slept or "didn't listen": they are simply doing this on purpose from day 1: money grab (legit, because nobody woks for free) with a minimal viable product.

The sad thing is thier plan.
Meanwhile it would have been far better for us and far more profitable for them selling and supporting a good game.
Uhhh.. huuuhhh..... Well if that's the only thing you could pick out of my blurb then that's not too bad!

MWO isn't a good game, you say? Are you telling me PGI is turning **** into gold? Seriously though,
They're bloody masterminds I tell you! MASTERMINDS! THE PLAN!!!! THEE PLAAAAAAAAN!!!!! BEING ***** IS THEIR PLAN, MAN! THAT'S HOW THEY GET THE MONEY!!! IT"S ALL PART OF THE PLAN!!!! THEY'RE SCRAPING THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL ON PURPOSE, JUST TO GET ALL OUR MONEY!

hahah... Oh. My. God. Get a grip man! *shaking shoulders vigerously*

The thing is Stefka, "minimally viable", "a good game", those are relative terms. And the term "money grab" has been mis-used so much, by modern definition you can now freely call any profitable business a money-grabbing business. If you agree with that statement, then you probably don't understand what I mean.

I guess SaltyMechwarrior_1 is you? I'll keep an eye out for you on the steam reviews and I'll be sure to wear my laughing trousers and undershirt so I can get the most jiggle from my giggle when I read your "plan" conspiracy non-sense.

I'm not upset about spending any amount of cash. I've spent more time playing MWO than any game currently on my steam account, and I had fun doing it. MWO isn't a huge ambitous game like GTA, but it does it well. With CW though, I think the scope is actually becoming too ambitious for what a small studio like PGI can sustain. There's a lot of work involved. but it's not because MWO is "minimally viable". PGI is just branching out too thin, from my point of view they're generating the expectation of a larger product without the potential to support it. In my truely honest opinion, PGI's success really depends on how they manage the expansion of MWO.

Anyways, here's your tinfoil hat. I feel like you'll be needing one based on the direction you're going.

#95 Madcap72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 752 posts
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:12 AM

Best part is this game is head and shoulders above other indie games that have popped up on steam and the influx of powergamers is going to rock the meta boat!

Standing by for QQ tears!

#96 STEF_

• The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 5,443 posts
  • Locationmy cockpit

Posted 13 November 2015 - 12:13 AM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 13 November 2015 - 12:05 AM, said:

Uhhh.. huuuhhh..... Well if that's the only thing you could pick out of my blurb then that's not too bad!

MWO isn't a good game, you say? Are you telling me PGI is turning **** into gold? Seriously though,
They're bloody masterminds I tell you! MASTERMINDS! THE PLAN!!!! THEE PLAAAAAAAAN!!!!! BEING ***** IS THEIR PLAN, MAN! THAT'S HOW THEY GET THE MONEY!!! IT"S ALL PART OF THE PLAN!!!! THEY'RE SCRAPING THE BOTTOM OF THE BARREL ON PURPOSE, JUST TO GET ALL OUR MONEY!

hahah... Oh. My. God. Get a grip man! *shaking shoulders vigerously*

The thing is Stefka, "minimally viable", "a good game", those are relative terms. And the term "money grab" has been mis-used so much, by modern definition you can now freely call any profitable business a money-grabbing business. If you agree with that statement, then you probably don't understand what I mean.

I guess SaltyMechwarrior_1 is you? I'll keep an eye out for you on the steam reviews and I'll be sure to wear my laughing trousers and undershirt so I can get the most jiggle from my giggle when I read your "plan" conspiracy non-sense.

I'm not upset about spending any amount of cash. I've spent more time playing MWO than any game currently on my steam account, and I had fun doing it. MWO isn't a huge ambitous game like GTA, but it does it well. With CW though, I think the scope is actually becoming too ambitious for what a small studio like PGI can sustain. There's a lot of work involved. but it's not because MWO is "minimally viable". PGI is just branching out too thin, from my point of view they're generating the expectation of a larger product without the potential to support it. In my truely honest opinion, PGI's success really depends on how they manage the expansion of MWO.

Anyways, here's your tinfoil hat. I feel like you'll be needing one based on the direction you're going.

Naaaaaaaa, I like to pilot mechs, it's the only multiplayer game I ever played, from mw2.
Anyway, I'm not salty when I say this (mwo) is the greatest missed opportunity in BT/mechwarrior history, I'm realist.
It's been that way since the beginning.
MWO went live, out of beta, faaaaaaaaaaaar too early.
And they are doing it again.
It's not a coincidence. It's their plan: minimal viable product.

Edited by Stefka Kerensky, 13 November 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#97 HellJumper

• 1,226 posts
  • LocationIslamabad, pakistan

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:27 AM

well i am sure a huge amount of players who have left MWO will come and post a negative review (harsh ones) purposefully... so new players will be reluctant to try spend any money on MWO.

the whole launch can be understandable from an earning point of view as they want to get more money in, but then that makes me wonder why do that when you are doing unseen mechs and making money from it (specualting here) unless your current revenue stream is shrinking.

one thing i am curious about is that during chrismats steam ells games at a much larger discounts, who will buy MWO mech packs at full price? and if PGI offers its mechs, mech packs at a discounted price then the people here will rage hard...

#98 Marmon Rzohr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 769 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the universe, probably

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:52 AM

I have to ask...

Was anyone else surprised as **** with this announcement ?

I never expected the Steam launch to be before summer 2016, at the very least. I mean, PGI kinda are trying, at least, but they don't really work fast, if we're honest. So... Who thought this was a good idea ? MWO isn't an Early Access game. They can't think pushing it out in the middle of widespread changes is a good idea.

I'd expect them to give balance changes and CW changes at least a month to settle so they can see if they worked like they should have. This way, the steam release just seems rushed and I honestly don't see why they would rush something they can do only once - especially when first impressions matter so much.

Plus so many little changes could give a better, more polished impression (on-site mechlab, better website, revision of the trash trial mechs etc.) - and most of these should take too much time or resources..

Edited by Marmon Rzohr, 13 November 2015 - 01:55 AM.

#99 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:56 AM

PGI is in the middle of rebalancing the game, giving it a whole new aspect called information warfare having so much work to be done:

- invisible walls
- no signal monitors
- CW
- New player experience
- remaking maps (noob: "why the hell can I destroy cars in the tutorial, trees on forest colony and nothing else on canyon network?"
- hitreg (at least srms)
- "insert whatever you miss here"

Still they are going to steam - well at least it's trend-setting to release unfinished products to a huge audience.

Heck, they were not even able to remember they had to do a scheduled MRBC drop yesterday. So we all appeared, some including myself rushed to get home to be there in time and PGI didn't even show up, nothing, not even a cancellation. WTF!?

I can only speak for myself here, but I feel kind of dissapointed right now. Two days in a row.

Thinking about refunding the warhammer pack.... this is just soooo lame....

#100 zagibu

• 2,253 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:07 AM

I still have a very faint hope that shortly before the release day there will be a big patch that fixes a lot of the remaining problems. If that doesn't happen, I feel that the initial steam bump will only be a temporary thing.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users