Show Us Your Minecraft Battletech! 1 to 1 Scale Summoner Inside!

64 replies to this topic

#1 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 12 November 2011 - 02:17 AM

I know I must not be the only one here who has done this, I think this counts as fan art. Full Album

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I tried to resize these in the boards editor but it would not stick, it just put them back to max size. This look me about an afternoon to actually build and sculpt, the hardest part was actually the 'mech bay. I did not have much TNT and blasting my way into the mountain and then manually picking it out was time consuming.

I started with the old FASA Omnimech blueprints I have and converted the measurements to 1m block. I then built a crude leg and torso out of dirt to see if the blocks would give me enough definition to be recognizable as a Summoner. I am lucky my favorite 'mech is not a chicken legged one, at 1/1 scale the thickness of the blocks makes angular reverse-jointed legs very hard to mimic.

From there I got the crazy idea in my head that it needed a proper Mechbay. I scaled up the hight of the Atlas and added one meter to the overall hight of the bay. It is built large enough to accommodate even the tallest of Battlemechs. Lighting was designed to be hidden, you cannot see any torches in the bay structure. I found the low-tech torch-on-a-wall a disturbing contrast to a 31st century robot. I also added a gantry, ladder and crane in addition to some knick-knacks and books on the ground level.

The Summoner was a breeze compared to hollowing out and lighting the bay. I already had an abundance of green for my 1/1 scale Planet of the Apes Statue of Liberty. I was again luck, my faction the Jade Falcons loved green. It also features a minecart in the cockpit so you actually can sit down in the pilots seat. The weapons are non-functional, the redstone and buttons are just too bulky for this scale. Other scraped ideas was a block of lava in the core, visible with some rear blocks replaced with glass and the lava held in obsidian, this was deemed to risky for the flammable wool covering and scale considerations. If you missed the link at the top here is the Full Album.

Lets see what you guys got!

#2 Taliesin

• PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationCardiff

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:03 AM

WOW! That's absolutely brilliant!!

#3 John Clavell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,609 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 03:12 AM

Nice work man :)

#4 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

hahah that is awesome! Good skillz bro.

#5 Davis Carlyle

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 12 November 2011 - 09:22 AM

Now that you've provided inspiration, it is time to build a 5:1 scale version of it, because bigger is always (not always..) better!

#6 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 12 November 2011 - 01:06 PM

This is 16m high at the cockpit, so a 5:1 would be just 80 blocks tall. Well within the standard height limit for a minecraft map at sea level. With a 5:1 you could get a really amazing level of detail and reverse jointed legs could actually look good allowing just about any design to be made. Heck, at 5:1 you could even have all the individual missile ports properly represented. However, this would take a very long time if you are not playing on creative. Then again, I now have a full large chest and more of colored and uncolored wool on our survival server...

#7 GreenHell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationGrandmas House

Posted 13 November 2011 - 11:39 AM

DOOO EEEET!!!

I wanna see a 5:1 size Summoner.
:)

#8 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 13 November 2011 - 06:49 PM

Here is a partner for the Summoner :)
Posted Image

#9 Aaron DeChavilier

• 1,422 posts
  • LocationEisen Unbegrenzt Corp HQ, Rim Collection

Posted 13 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

oh man I was thinking this exact thing while wandering around in creative mode; awesome guys! I think I'll try a centy or hunchie :)

#10 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 13 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

View Postplexi, on 13 November 2011 - 06:49 PM, said:

Here is a partner for the Summoner :)

Great work plexi! Please tell me you have more angles and screenshots of it. Can you go inside? Tell us a little about it.

#11 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:05 AM

Just went back on and grabbed a few more.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Originally there was a bit more to it, both LRM racks featured mini TNT cannons inside, with redstone wires connecting to the cockpit. Unfortunately it wasn't very pretty, and couldn't go very far without looking worse so it was scrapped. Hence the massive empty space in the torso where the loading system was.Just beyond that sandy ridge is nothing but craters from me testing the cannons lol.

Now this Timber Wolf functions as a house.

#12 ice trey

• 1,523 posts
  • LocationFukushima, Japan

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

I must admit, I tried to make a 1:1 scale Minecraft Union-class Dropship, but after starting it, I have had nothing but frustration, and have come nowhere close to finishing the outer hull, much less digging out the land I need to clear to make an 82m^3 to fit it.

Since I am getting a new lappy to run the upcoming Mechwarrior title, I'm pretty much abandoning it.

#13 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 15 November 2011 - 02:59 PM

View Postice trey, on 15 November 2011 - 02:40 PM, said:

I must admit, I tried to make a 1:1 scale Minecraft Union-class Dropship, but after starting it, I have had nothing but frustration, and have come nowhere close to finishing the outer hull, much less digging out the land I need to clear to make an 82m^3 to fit it.

Since I am getting a new lappy to run the upcoming Mechwarrior title, I'm pretty much abandoning it.

Create it on a creative server/game. No need to find the thousands of block you need. A million obsidian? Done. Yea, survival is more 'legit', but some projects just work better on creative. Use MCEdit to easily flatten masses of land or even build the whole thing in an evening.

I did mine on my survival friends survival server, but again I already had the green wool and cactus farms from a previous project. Something like a Union is completely different kind of scale then a single 'mech or even a whole Lance.

#14 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

I am making a model of Owens now. I do not know how to make a 1 to 1 model, so I am just making it just by looking on some pictures, so it will not be certainly accurate. Can I post a picture of it when it is done? I would love to know what you think of it. :)

Edited by Adridos, 20 November 2011 - 12:29 PM.

#15 PLEXI

• PipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 90 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

Can I post a picture of it when it is done? I would love to know what you think of it. :)

Go for it!

An interesting project would be to generate a world on a server and all of us create a mech battlefield out of it lol.

#16 Armored Yokai

• IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 1,950 posts
  • LocationHouston,TX

Posted 20 November 2011 - 11:12 PM

if only someone made a mod to be able to pilot them

#17 Amechwarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 729 posts
  • LocationHawaii

Posted 21 November 2011 - 12:42 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 November 2011 - 08:59 AM, said:

I am making a model of Owens now. I do not know how to make a 1 to 1 model, so I am just making it just by looking on some pictures, so it will not be certainly accurate. Can I post a picture of it when it is done? I would love to know what you think of it. :)

DO IT! That is what this thread is for! I was hoping more people would already have had made designs to post in here. Do not worry about scale, scale your design to the smallest level of detail you think you need to show. A light, thin legged design almost necessitates a larger then 1:1 scale. I happened to have the FASA Omnimech Blueprints and that is how I got my figures and my 'mech of choice was a blocky one. Only 8 designs ever got the real blueprint treatment, so we really only have game media and minis to go from. Concentrate on what makes it look good. Do not forget to add external touches like repair crew equipment and other little things that bring together the sense of how large it is supposed to be.

Jokingly, here is a 1:6 scale Urbanmech:

Posted Image

#18 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:55 AM

View PostAmechwarrior, on 21 November 2011 - 12:42 AM, said:

Posted Image

My Owens is no match for the coolness of this mech (I have to just add that cannon on top of his torso and I will be done).

#19 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:51 AM

OK it's done. Behold the Owens! :)
Spoiler

"Even I can make a Mad Cat in Minecraft. It's just a can (viz. 4th image). :lol: " - Adridos

#20 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 08:54 AM

Will my pictures be shown on the Google now? I'm pretty new to posting of images on the internet.

Edited by Adridos, 21 November 2011 - 08:55 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users