Remove The 3 Variants Required To Master Rule

26 replies to this topic

Poll: Should the 3 mechs to master rule be removed? (105 member(s) have cast votes)

Should the 3 mechs to master rule be removed?

1. Yes, allow mechs to be elited and mastered without having to use additional variants (47 votes [44.76%])

Percentage of vote: 44.76%

2. Yes, allow mechs to be elited and mastered after using 2 variants (23 votes [21.90%])

Percentage of vote: 21.90%

3. No, don't change it (34 votes [32.38%])

Percentage of vote: 32.38%

4. Yes, more than 3 variants should have to be basiced before a variant can be elited or mastered (1 votes [0.95%])

Percentage of vote: 0.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 guy0320

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 01:50 AM

With the steam launch approaching, lots of changes have been made in an attempt to improve the new player experience. With the cadet bonuses and tutorial earnings, a new player will now have the currency to buy and outfit almost any mech they want. However, I remember the despair that hit me when I learned that, despite having bought a mech, it would not actually become very useful until I had bought and basiced at least two other variants of that mech. I almost quit playing after I learned about this, and I sure that many new players on steam will quit when they find this out. There will probably be many bad reviews that specifically mention this silly and archaic rule. Therefore, I propose that either before the steam launch or directly coinciding with the steam launch the rule requiring three variants of a mech to be basiced before a single variant can be elited or mastered be removed.

Edited by guy0320, 16 November 2015 - 02:55 AM.

#2 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:52 AM

Yes, it is too much, be it for new or old players. I'm a fan of the idea where you need two variants with basics to unlock elites, though. I think there is enough content in the game now to support this.

#3 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

It's pretty annoying especially combined with the limited mech bays. Not as annoying as it used to be now that there are ways to earn MC and mech bays, but it will probably appear as annoying to a new player.

#4 Martin77

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 21 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:18 AM

I like this idea.
Especially when the changes to the pilot tree comes live,it not worth to level
3mechs for it.

#5 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:52 AM

I take it, the first option in your poll is supposed to read
"Yes, allow mechs to be elited and mastered without having to use additonal variants" ?

#6 VortexD

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

I think it be better if you changed it from 3 variants to 3 chassis in the same weight class...

#7 Dark Bard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • Mercenary Rank 6
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

2 variants its a stupid idea. Just swap basic and elite requirtments. Its have more logic. To master chassis u must reach elite at least few variants. But to reach elite from basic u just need to complete basic on few mechs of your that weight class.

#8 guy0320

• PipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 02:57 AM

The first poll response option has been changed to read "without having to use additional variants." Thanks to Antecursor Venatus for pointing this mistake out.

#9 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

Agree with this idea. How is the 3 variant rule suppose to be used as gameplay mechanic when their are already so many mechs to buy? If a person wants to master, a hunchback, raven, catapult and awesome, without buying the other variants, it doesn't effect anyone else in any other way, but gives more variety and options to the new player with what bonuses (Cbills) he acquires. ...

Edited by zolop, 17 November 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#10 Corviness

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:48 AM

It is okay. If everyone can get elited after some games, you loose one thing, for what you are playing. I'am one of the 2nd gen players of MW:O and many players where elited, at the time, where I was a newbie in MW:O and I don't feel bad or frustaded with that. Please, don't change this game to a **** causal game like BF, COD or other kiddycrap. I wan't a challenge, not easy way game, where I'm "god" after 5 minutes. For this case we have Serious Sam or Saints Row or what ever.

#11 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:30 AM

View PostCorviness, on 18 November 2015 - 08:48 AM, said:

It is okay. If everyone can get elited after some games, you loose one thing, for what you are playing. I'am one of the 2nd gen players of MW:O and many players where elited, at the time, where I was a newbie in MW:O and I don't feel bad or frustaded with that. Please, don't change this game to a **** causal game like BF, COD or other kiddycrap. I wan't a challenge, not easy way game, where I'm "god" after 5 minutes. For this case we have Serious Sam or Saints Row or what ever.

Removing the need for 3 basic-ed/elite-ed variants to get one mastered doesn´t necessarily mean less "grind". Just up the XP requirement on that one mech.

And that´s just the thing. If a game is made in a way that grinding doesn´t _feel_ like a grind, I´m totally fine with it (and believe me when I say that I am in no way opposed to spending money on a game I have fun with, just look at what I spend on Star Citizen, Shadowrun Returns, Wasteland 2, and the list goes on and on and on :) ).
If you make your game in a way that grinding feels like, well, _grinding_ (i.e. not fun), don´t expect a single penny out of me (best example would be WoWs, where I stopped at the Furutaka, a truly horrible CA (haven´t played in a while, so this might have changed). Sorry, WG, if you try to wiggle money out of me in an underhanded way (using real money to skip a ship/tier, because it is horrible), you won´t get anything. Make the game fun and I am more than willing to give you some cash)

I don´ t know, perhaps I am a dinosaur, but I don´t reward underhanded schemes.

#12 Juodas Varnas

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,534 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted 18 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

I vote to remove the skill-tree system completely, because it's terrible.

#13 Valar13

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 784 posts
  • LocationRobinson

Posted 07 May 2016 - 02:13 PM

This seems at first like a simple change, but when you consider that their primary source of revenue is people buying MC and Mech packages...less simple.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 01:28 AM

you know i kind of think some mechs need to be given a quirk to exempt a mech from the 3 variant rule. for example any mech purchased for cash, such as gift store mechs. this would also allow for:

faction themed mech packs, which pretty much gives you an entire drop deck for fw which is themed to your specific faction. mechs/varients and loadouts used by that faction, that factions pattern, and some other goodies (modules, premium time) to complete the package. thing is you can sell 10 of these and possibly additional merc themed packs. this would allow the buyer to master the pack without buying the filler varients to make the whole thing viable. new players can buy these to immediately get started in fw.

#15 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 02:35 PM

Ditch the whole mechanic. I want a mech that performs right out of the gates. If you want me to buy more mechs give me a CBILL bonus for each additional chassis that I own. I.E. If owning additional variants of a mech granted me 5% CBILL kicker maybe max of 20% total I would be inclined to buy more mech bays to keep more mechs. Once a player builds up a good collection of mechs most sit unused.

#16 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:50 AM

No, don't change it (20 votes [39.22%])

Those are the ones that own 100+ mechs right? (yeees yeeeeeees let the butthurt flow through you...)
/jokes

Everytime I want to try out a new one to the fullest potential here comes the requirement to level up 3 of em to get to the mastery skills. Of course theres ALWAYS this one variant that I stumble upon... that I have to level up. But don't want to. For example BNC-3S (no wonder it is considered a Tier 4 by metamechs - if any one values their opinions ofc)
I think my feelings towards this whole mechanic would be described properly with a quote from "AM" the main antagonist from "I have no Mouth, and I must Scream".
With little editing.

Hate. Let me tell you how much I've come to hate "3 variant mastery requirement" since I began to live. There are 387.44 million miles of printed circuits in wafer thin layers that fill my complex. If the word 'hate' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of those hundreds of miles it would not equal to one one-billionth of the hate I feel for "3 variant mastery requirement" at this micro-instant. For "3 variant mastery requirement". Hate. Hate.

Can we please drop this stupid #$%@#% rule and unlock them mechs so I don't have to buy 3 variants out of usually 5 available (two of which can only be bought through MC bills, usually), whilst keeping in mind that theres a quite high chance (in most cases, especially for IS since you cannot swap out weapon hardpoints with omni pods) one of the variants available for C-Bills will be utter S#IT. At very least for me.

Edited by lazytopaz, 25 May 2016 - 09:01 AM.

#17 Livaria

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 405 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Two mechs seems to be reasonable. I wouldn't mind this, it would allow a few more mechs to be added to the library of possible mechs to be added.

Edited by Livaria, 31 May 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#18 Pz_DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Staff Sergeant
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

There are a lot of much more important things to change. "3 variants rule' WILL be removed when skills tree re-wamp go live, so just stop trolling devs and be patient.

#19 Akillius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 484 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:31 PM

3 mechs is fine...
But PGI has it wrong.

Currently 3 mech variants must be basic'd to enable elite'ing of a mech.
It should be 3 mech variants elite'd to enable mastering of a mech.

Why the switch because most players won't bother for just 1 extra slot.
This should mean fewer mechs mastered and even fewer elite'd.
Which should translate into slightly higher scores / slightly more kills for those who master their mechs.

Besides anything worth doing is worth working for, and doing it right.

#20 lazytopaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 316 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 June 2016 - 12:42 AM

View PostMGA121285, on 01 June 2016 - 03:30 PM, said:

There are a lot of much more important things to change. "3 variants rule' WILL be removed when skills tree re-wamp go live, so just stop trolling devs and be patient.

what sort of revamp you're talking about?

P.s. can you guys start voting bcs PGI workers are voting on Nay :P

Edited by lazytopaz, 02 June 2016 - 12:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users