Really Not A Fan Of Such Heavy Skill Tree Nerfs.

54 replies to this topic

#1 Aiden Skye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • Galaxy Commander II
  • 1,364 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 28 November 2015 - 05:55 AM

What is the point of mastering a mech to get such trivial upgrades? 2.5% more performance is practically not noticeable. I really hate when games do this. At least make the grinding worth it.

• Twist X: 10% -> 2.5%
• Hard Brake: 25% -> 7.5%
• Twist Speed: 20% -> 2.5%
• Arm Reflex: 15% -> 2.5%
• Anchor Turn: 10% -> 2.5%

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 28 November 2015 - 06:25 AM

If you look at it the other way , now you don't have to grindm You can just play the mechs you like. Really the point is to help all the new people. I am guessing they will buff it later after steam release.

#3 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 28 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

The good thing about is that it dials down the ridiculous average agility of mastered mechs, but yeah it's a problem to feel like you get nothing for leveling up.

Hopefully the skill tree is completely reworked to be an actual tree where you can specialize your mech later on.

#4 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 28 November 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

The good thing about is that it dials down the ridiculous average agility of mastered mechs

The what? What is it with you people who have this dumb idea that a mech has to be slumbering because it's big? These things can punch and kick each other in lore, they have hands because they are agile enough to friggin grab things, not because it's pretty. You want to take a nap while you wait for your guns to rotate, go play World of Warships and leave us be.

Edited by Cmdr Hurrell, 28 November 2015 - 04:04 PM.

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 04:41 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 28 November 2015 - 10:31 AM, said:

The good thing about is that it dials down the ridiculous average agility of mastered mechs, but yeah it's a problem to feel like you get nothing for leveling up.

Hopefully the skill tree is completely reworked to be an actual tree where you can specialize your mech later on.

Not really since it nerfed all mechs' agility

Mechs like the timber wolf are still uncharacteristically agile relative to other mechs. Agility needs to be decoupled from engine rating to actually fix things.

All it does is make the game less punishing for new players since unskilled mechs are less bad compared to mastered mechs

Edited by Khobai, 29 November 2015 - 04:44 AM.

#6 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:03 AM

View PostCmdr Hurrell, on 28 November 2015 - 04:03 PM, said:

The what? What is it with you people who have this dumb idea that a mech has to be slumbering because it's big? These things can punch and kick each other in lore, they have hands because they are agile enough to friggin grab things, not because it's pretty. You want to take a nap while you wait for your guns to rotate, go play World of Warships and leave us be.

Your profile says you've been playing since 2011, so it's amazing that you don't remember how slow mechs and what not moved back then.
The introduction of Clans and their high range engines has sped the game up considerably

#7 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,030 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:09 AM

View PostKhobai, on 29 November 2015 - 04:41 AM, said:

Not really since it nerfed all mechs' agility

Mechs like the timber wolf are still uncharacteristically agile relative to other mechs. Agility needs to be decoupled from engine rating to actually fix things.

All it does is make the game less punishing for new players since unskilled mechs are less bad compared to mastered mechs

You realise de-coupling engine rating from agility will massively reduce TTK, i assume?

If ALL engine size does is increase straight line top speed, people arent going to bother with big engines, because the tonnage is no longer worth it. All the mechs would turn into slowass mega gunbags - more weapons being fielded, and the mechs no longer have agility or speed to get out of the way.

Engine size should pretty obviously affect all physical movement characteristics of mechs. Saying its got no relation in TT is a complete absurdity btw, since in TT all mechs twist and turn at exactly the same speed, its not a thing at all.

#8 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 730 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:24 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 29 November 2015 - 05:03 AM, said:

Your profile says you've been playing since 2011, so it's amazing that you don't remember how slow mechs and what not moved back then.
The introduction of Clans and their high range engines has sped the game up considerably

I don't get where in my post does it say I forgot. I't simpler than that, they made them more agile and that was a welcome change. I hate that they are reverting a positive change. Or what, should I be happy with this crap only because it's not the first time they implement it?

#9 Veev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 251 posts
  • LocationWhere ever I am

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

I wish they would actually give us a skill tree based on trade offs and the like. Lets say you want to brake and stop faster, you need to choose whether you want to sacrifice heat management ,top speed or armor/structure.

#10 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostCmdr Hurrell, on 30 November 2015 - 12:24 PM, said:

I don't get where in my post does it say I forgot. I't simpler than that, they made them more agile and that was a welcome change. I hate that they are reverting a positive change. Or what, should I be happy with this crap only because it's not the first time they implement it?

Some people got into the game when it was a lot slower, because it was a lot slower. Telling them to ********** because the game changed from under them is pretty silly.

#11 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:17 AM

I want fast, nimble 'Mechs. I just don't want them to weigh 75 tons. I can see a day where reducing agility across the board and then selectively buffing it by class or chassis actually gives mediums a genuine role in the game. That might be nice.

Not sure if the devs can get there, but I can't criticise them for trying.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 01 December 2015 - 03:53 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 28 November 2015 - 06:25 AM, said:

If you look at it the other way , now you don't have to grindm You can just play the mechs you like. Really the point is to help all the new people. I am guessing they will buff it later after steam release.

But with those raqther negliable amounts they could either reuce the XP needed so people can master mechs after and play others, or completely remove these quirks.

#13 Bleary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 365 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 08:56 PM

I'd be a fan of just removing them. Give us a skill tree with choices or don't give us skills. They serve no purpose besides punishing new players and people driving new 'Mechs.

Edited by Bleary, 01 December 2015 - 09:25 PM.

#14 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:02 AM

I'm not a fan of it either. I feel like I'm being punished for no reason.

#15 SockSlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, I totally agree, I feel they went the opposite direction than what was needed, I felt the mech trees were bad as was, now its worse.

Edited by Independence MK2, 02 December 2015 - 04:37 PM.

#16 Nedolon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:08 AM

Of course i feel punished as well, but it is something i really expected (also the cahnge of starter-tier). They are expecting a huge amount of new players, that will all start with fresh, unleveled mechs, mostly trial-mechs. Since all will play in the same pool, more players would stop after 1 or 2 days without those changes. They need to maike them feel better at the start.

In that way, I agree with the changes, since it's logical and comforts new players and makes their start smoother. (at least a bit)

#17 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 02 December 2015 - 07:02 AM, said:

I'm not a fan of it either. I feel like I'm being punished for no reason.

Yes...you are the only one being punished.

What did you do exactly?

#18 Scanz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 783 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:01 PM

All who want fast mechs can leave us and the install hawken . it's a simulator of mech, not is quake. And tree skill with buffs mechs movement speed is a mistake from beta.

#19 Cynosure

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

Not a fan of such heavy skill-tree nerfs... ?!

* Twist X: 10% -> 2.5%
* Hard Brake: 25% -> 7.5%
* Twist Speed: 20% -> 2.5%
* Arm Reflex: 15% -> 2.5%
* Anchor Turn: 10% -> 2.5%

That's an understatement! I'm shocked and appalled that they made such a drastic, ham-fisted change, this late in the game's life. (This game is, what, over three years old now?) This smacks of developer incompetence and insensitivity. I understand game balance, and I agree that it's very important in an online, competitive game such as MWO. But a huge, belated change like this is ridiculous and apathetic!

I've been playing MWO for about four months now, and I've spent around $45, total. But not a dollar more will I spend on this game! I spent $30 of that on one of those starter packages to get me three variants of a mech, so that I could work on them (and work hard on them I did, over the course of about six weeks), and eventually master them, because those skill bonuses were significant and worthwhile. Now, even with the x2 multiplier at mastery, they're neither significant nor worthwhile. Really, a twist X bonus of 2.5% (5%, if doubled) can't even be humanly noticeable by the vast majority of players! Any player who says he can notice such an "improvement" is either an exceptionally gifted ace at this game, or he's fooling himself into thinking he's one (with the latter case being far more probable).

Formerly, I was telling my friends and Steam-mates how great this game is, and that they should hop aboard once it becomes available on Steam. Now, I'm going to reverse that, telling them to steer clear of this game, and for sure not to spend any money on it.

Edited by Cynosure, 07 December 2015 - 05:19 AM.

#20 Cynosure

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 8 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:51 PM

View PostScanz, on 04 December 2015 - 10:01 PM, said:

And tree skill with buffs mechs movement speed is a mistake from beta.

Maybe so; that's debatable. But what isn't debatable is that many players have already invested hefty amounts of real-world cash and many hours of grinding to acquire those skill buffs, only to have the returns on their investments drastically and haphazardly diminished.

Edited by Cynosure, 07 December 2015 - 05:20 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users