Grf-2N Is Losing Minor Srm Spread Quirk In Exchange For Unhelpful Erppc Velocity Quirk

3 replies to this topic

#1 JernauM

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 11:54 PM

The proposed PTS4 quirks for the GRF-2N are going to nerf what it does best, which is SRM boating, and buff what it doesn't do particularly well, which is PPC sniping.

Currently, GRF-2N has SRM velocity and spread quirks which, while not game-changing, are reasonably useful. PTS4 takes away its SRM spread boost in exchange for a doubled ERPPC velocity quirk.

This is not a good trade-off in my opinion. It's not the velocity that stops me from putting ERPPCs on the GRF-2N, it's the poor DPS and awkward energy hard-point locations. PGI could give the GRF-2N +80% ERPPPC velocity and I'm pretty sure I still wouldn't use them. At least not without substantial heat-gen quirks as well.

I know that SRMs are getting buffed in general, but I'd rather PGI doubled the SRM spread quirk and removed the ERPPC velocity quirk.

#2 PanzerFurrry

• PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 12:36 AM

The whole Griffin line rebalance has been a letdown on PTS and I'm horrified that the changes went on live server. None of them received any mobility quirks and those +10% missile quirks are negligible. I guess PGI stayed with their moto regarding jumpjets and ECM are limiting the number and type of available quirks.
GRF-2N had hardpoints and ability that could get them to become iconic mech in any dropdeck. 2N would need some heat-gen and missile spread/cooldown, alongside some acc/decc quirks and it would be set to go. Instead it got meaningless ERPPC quirk.
Wasted potential.

#3 Unknown Pwn

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 01 February 2016 - 04:31 PM

Please allow me to throw my two cents into this pool.

The Griffin 2N's nurf to srm boating with a token ERPPC velocity perk is not as bad as it looks.

I measure my griffins "kit" by the size of its engine and weather or not i am using it in Faction or Quick Play.

On my Quick Play 300XL build

On a 300XL I can run 1 ERLL and 1 ERPP and 2 LRM 5's.
Now. You can sit and whine about SRMS being "gone" but I systematically produce
500 damage a match, and around 350 per drop with those two little LRM's. Whereas I was only producing maybe 200 damage with the SRM's.

The reason being is the rate of fire on an LRM 5.

A natural question is why the ERPPC if you have an ERLL.
If you think about it like a slow fire AC10 with nearly twice the velocity and range
and you use it to augment missile volleys going out it becomes a hammer of god
with the machine-gun effect of a laser going out after all that lands.
----it is devastating.

You are hard as hell to find on the map with the ECM and if you put the proper modules in
Such as advanced zoom and advanced target decay, you not only make sure your LRMS are landing, you are providing the best scouting in the game for the rest of your team.

Now think about that build with 4 LRM 5'5 , 1 ERLL and 1 TAG.
You add a BAP and drop Advanced Zoom for Advanced Sensor Range and anything not
in cover or ECM or both out to 1250 becomes targetable 450m before your stock opposition can.

Now not only are you ECM'd, but you are tagging, fully jump jetted, with a large lase and a double rate of fire LRM20.

Heat is very manageable with the penalty of launching 4 LRM'5's but it is landing and it is pissing people off especially if they are tagged.

This goes even more crazy with 4 LRM 5's with Artemis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a nutshell, if you run the 2N on a 250 XL with ENDO you can fit an ERPPC, TAG and 4 LRM'5's + Artemis and if you are highly experienced with map locations you can provide the best intel in the game to your team, and COPIOUS damage to any "primary" target both directly and indirectly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2N is a vastly flexible tactical Mech capable in any role save close range brawling. And by close range we were talking about 270M with SRM's.

The SRM role is dead. It was useless to a team because at the range you need to be effective, you have about a 25% chance if you are extremely lucky, to go on a killing spree. And averaged out, your real usefulness to your team as an ECM boat with any configuration was about a 2% contribution beyond your SRM alpha.

As a medium range, heavy scout, it excells. And the PPC Velocity buff, is actually very snazzy when you are using a ERLL + ERPPC combo using either "sidearm" as a followup to your LRM's.

LRMS will always combined with TAG or just good team mates, always always always, outperform SRM's unless the person using them is going 125+ kph in a light mech and launching them in Quads.

Thats just how it is.

Before you wind up your argument against all of that there is one last thing. You cant hot-launch SRMS out to 950 M on an untargeted Mech.

And if I were to ***** for any changes at all, I would beg for either a 25%Energy Range bonus first or something new like a 250M range bonus to TAG so that you could tag targets out to 1000 Meters.

Tag is huge for teamwork. I do not own and build a single mech without it for real competative faction play.
or

#4 Rhent

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,045 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:59 AM

View PostUnknown Pwn, on 01 February 2016 - 04:31 PM, said:

Please allow me to throw my two cents into this pool.

The Griffin 2N's nurf to srm boating with a token ERPPC velocity perk is not as bad as it looks.

I measure my griffins "kit" by the size of its engine and weather or not i am using it in Faction or Quick Play.

On my Quick Play 300XL build

On a 300XL I can run 1 ERLL and 1 ERPP and 2 LRM 5's.
Now. You can sit and whine about SRMS being "gone" but I systematically produce
500 damage a match, and around 350 per drop with those two little LRM's. Whereas I was only producing maybe 200 damage with the SRM's.

The reason being is the rate of fire on an LRM 5.

A natural question is why the ERPPC if you have an ERLL.
If you think about it like a slow fire AC10 with nearly twice the velocity and range
and you use it to augment missile volleys going out it becomes a hammer of god
with the machine-gun effect of a laser going out after all that lands.
----it is devastating.

You are hard as hell to find on the map with the ECM and if you put the proper modules in
Such as advanced zoom and advanced target decay, you not only make sure your LRMS are landing, you are providing the best scouting in the game for the rest of your team.

Now think about that build with 4 LRM 5'5 , 1 ERLL and 1 TAG.
You add a BAP and drop Advanced Zoom for Advanced Sensor Range and anything not
in cover or ECM or both out to 1250 becomes targetable 450m before your stock opposition can.

Now not only are you ECM'd, but you are tagging, fully jump jetted, with a large lase and a double rate of fire LRM20.

Heat is very manageable with the penalty of launching 4 LRM'5's but it is landing and it is pissing people off especially if they are tagged.

This goes even more crazy with 4 LRM 5's with Artemis.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In a nutshell, if you run the 2N on a 250 XL with ENDO you can fit an ERPPC, TAG and 4 LRM'5's + Artemis and if you are highly experienced with map locations you can provide the best intel in the game to your team, and COPIOUS damage to any "primary" target both directly and indirectly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 2N is a vastly flexible tactical Mech capable in any role save close range brawling. And by close range we were talking about 270M with SRM's.

The SRM role is dead. It was useless to a team because at the range you need to be effective, you have about a 25% chance if you are extremely lucky, to go on a killing spree. And averaged out, your real usefulness to your team as an ECM boat with any configuration was about a 2% contribution beyond your SRM alpha.

As a medium range, heavy scout, it excells. And the PPC Velocity buff, is actually very snazzy when you are using a ERLL + ERPPC combo using either "sidearm" as a followup to your LRM's.

LRMS will always combined with TAG or just good team mates, always always always, outperform SRM's unless the person using them is going 125+ kph in a light mech and launching them in Quads.

Thats just how it is.

Before you wind up your argument against all of that there is one last thing. You cant hot-launch SRMS out to 950 M on an untargeted Mech.

And if I were to ***** for any changes at all, I would beg for either a 25%Energy Range bonus first or something new like a 250M range bonus to TAG so that you could tag targets out to 1000 Meters.

Tag is huge for teamwork. I do not own and build a single mech without it for real competative faction play.
or

LRM's are a purposely useless weapon. PGI has engineered it that LRM's are useless. Sure you can pad your damage with LRM's and you can get kills in Tier 3 and below. Most average players understand to use cover and nullify LRM's. And then you have a single AMS that removes chain fired LRM5's from play.

SRM's on the GRF-2N when played properly is a solid 500 damage and 2-5 killing machine. Most of my kills are to the back and tends to be on mechs solo or lagging who had no clue what killed them. Only a solid team deathballing shuts this mech down. One on One, this mech destroys everything save a 85+ Clan Battlemech brawler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users