Anybody Else Hate These Mobility Changes?

306 replies to this topic

#1 Gyrok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel III
  • Star Colonel III
  • 5,879 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeriphery of the Inner Sphere, moving toward the core worlds with each passing day.

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

I mean, across the board.

Speed Tweak is now 25% less, less acceleration/deceleration from kinetic burst/hard brake.

This will make hill climbing even more difficult for some mechs because arbitrary design decisions about hill climbing angles.

I am not even going to get started on how rekt clan mechs are beyond the IS mechs in terms of mobility...

However...this is not how you balance a game. Making light mechs slower, less nimble, and more vulnerable is not going to make them better, or "more balanced". If anything, lights needed to get stronger.

Thoughts?

Edited by Gyrok, 01 December 2015 - 09:13 AM.

#2 Mahpsy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 293 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

I think the global mobility nerfs where a step in the right direction to lessen the twitch shooter feel for heavy and assaults, but still needs some tweaking. Additionally, the way mechs traverse terrain needs to be revisited again simply because there is no reason a bipedal mech cant step over a small rock on a low incline hill.

#3 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

Love the new changes...should make games last longer, allow a little more time to think rather than simply react, more time for strategy.

The main reason though is for the new players from Steam to be on a more equal footing when facing Mastered mechs. 3 things PGI has done to hopefully keep Steam players is 1) Put them in Tier 5 instead of Tier 4, 2) at least 4.5 million more Cbills from Cadet bonuses, 3) Lowered the gap between Mastered/non-Mastered mechs. Applause PGI.

Edited by Coolant, 01 December 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#4 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:45 AM

I would have been OK with the global mobility and agility nerfs if they went through and then re-added all of the lost agility and mobility directly into the mechs themselves.

Then they would be reducing the gap between mastered mechs and unmastered mechs which is good for NPE.

That's not what they did though.

Some mechs got big agility and mobility quirks, some did not. It's a very uneven application.

It's also ultimately bad for TTK, and it's bad for dynamic gameplay in general.

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:47 AM

We will see how it goes. Overall though, I'm thinking it will be for the better (well except maybe my Urbanmech or Panther :/ ).

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 01 December 2015 - 09:47 AM.

#6 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:52 AM

They nerfed the skills. But gave performance buffs to a lot of mechs. I think they're hoping to create more variety in performance.

But apparently the Commando doesn't rate any performance quirks? I hardly ever see anyone playing one.

#7 Almond Brown

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:54 AM

This will make hill climbing even more difficult for some mechs because arbitrary design decisions about hill climbing angles.

Indeed. Selecting numbers based on some criteria is always "arbitrary". LOL! Just stop already. Your "Armchair" will need to be re-upholstered, again, if you keep it up... ;)

#8 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I have a feeling it will be worse and well will see a much worse TTK..because you simple cant move your large ass out of the way.

We will see i guess, but i really dont think this is going to make me have more fun here, makes games better, longer or even increase TTk. The contrary really, now im just gonna be a slower easier to hit target and have less fun every time i see a rock, pebble, broken mech shards.

Mobility already kinda sucked in this game for anyone over 50 tons...now its even worse.

Bye Bye assault mechs, i hardly knew ye and now we must part.

Sounds like fun....I guess im gonna be playing TERA tonight again...

None of these changes sounds like any fun to me, which makes me sad.

View PostMechaBattler, on 01 December 2015 - 09:52 AM, said:

They nerfed the skills. But gave performance buffs to a lot of mechs. I think they're hoping to create more variety in performance.

But apparently the Commando doesn't rate any performance quirks? I hardly ever see anyone playing one.

Commando is old news and PGI already made all the money of it they can...

All this systems does is Sell PGI mechs, and we eat it up. We will all jump to newest and hottest meta (even if we have to pay for it with RL money) and PGI just loves it! This is why the GI is being nerfed back down to level where he wont get played over the next super quirks mechs.

This is how PGI makes money off all these mechs in game...call me a tin foil hater or whatever but its pretty evident. PGI has never denied it either.

Either way, new meta, new money for PGI.

Have fun learning the game all over again you news guys!

#9 DONTOR

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,804 posts
  • LocationStuck on a piece of Commando in my Ice Ferret

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:58 AM

Good keep it underground, reserved for true bad asses only ;)

#10 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 01 December 2015 - 09:59 AM

I can easily remedy that, i love the little bugger, even with no quirks.

#11 Water Bear

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:02 AM

A blanket speed nerf does not make sense.

IMO just make speed tweak less effective for clan mechs, or make it less effective for heavier mechs. Lights especially still badly need their only real advantage, and speed tweak makes sense in IS vs IS or IS vs C fights from the perspective of the IS players. After all, C XL is still a thing.

#12 cSand

• 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:04 AM

[Redacted]

I honestly don't care about the mobility nerf... so, losing what, 2.5% speed bonus? If your mech goes 80 before speed tweak, it would go 88 after it. Now, it will go 86.

Ok let's take then the example of a light mech, that goes 125 before tweak. As of now, you go 137.5 kph. Later today, you will go ~ 134 kph.

Ok let's take a very fast theory mech, 160 kph before tweak. 176 tweaked (now.) With nerf... 172.
Oh man, the fastest mech in the game lost 4km/h.

I dunno about you guys, but at most a 4 kph loss.... is hardly worth even commenting about. let alone a thread

Edited by Coryphee, 02 December 2015 - 12:33 AM.

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:21 AM

View PostGyrok, on 01 December 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Speed Tweak is now 25% less, less acceleration/deceleration from kinetic burst/hard brake.

I am not even going to get started on how rekt clan mechs are beyond the IS mechs in terms of mobility...

However...this is not how you balance a game. Making light mechs slower, less nimble, and more vulnerable is not going to make them better, or "more balanced". If anything, lights needed to get stronger.

Thoughts?

That your thoughts would hold more credibility if you and your unit had a reputation for anything other than whining that your Clam Mechs not OP Crutch Enuff. You're an average pilot* in an average unit with delusions of skill, mad your mechs aren't uber enough to hide that.

I doubt you or yours actually bothered to even play in the PTS4 to know what you are complaining about (just like most of those whining loudest). I did. Spent 3 days in there, and for the most part, it was minor.

And that few mechs will even really notice it, especially with all the quirks to agility. It narrows the gaps between NPE mechs and elited ones, which is a GOOD thing.

I almost feel bad for being so blunt, but over the last year, I just gave up. Quit crying.

So there are my thoughts.

*(just like me, I just don't have any illusions about it)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 01 December 2015 - 10:24 AM.

#14 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:23 AM

People may not realize it, but this mobility change is actually just a Clan nerf in disguise. They took away the mobility skills, and added what? Mobility quirks for the IS. Not for the clans, but for IS. Most IS 'Mechs will remain about as mobile. Some less, some more. But on average, they get it back. But clans? They get none of that.

I was really in approval when I thought it was a flat change across the board, so that all 'Mechs would feel heavier and more 'Mech than ballerina. But now, some assaults are even more maneuverable on the IS side.

#15 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

Overall I think the changes are a poor choice because there's nothing replacing a bunch of gimp skills. Before you ground out mechs because there was a noticeable impact apon your mech after eliting it. Now? beh.. sure there's a performance boost but it's so low you can barely tell. (speed tweak aside it barely got changed)

#16 Cyrilis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • Hero of Rasalhague
  • 760 posts
  • LocationRas Alhague Insane Asylum, most of the time in the pen where they lock up the Urbie pilots

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:24 AM

View PostGyrok, on 01 December 2015 - 09:12 AM, said:

Speed Tweak is now 25% less,

come on, in a 160 kph llight thats a difference of 4 kph..
hardly noticable...

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:25 AM

View PostNight Thastus, on 01 December 2015 - 10:23 AM, said:

People may not realize it, but this mobility change is actually just a Clan nerf in disguise. They took away the mobility skills, and added what? Mobility quirks for the IS. Not for the clans, but for IS. Most IS 'Mechs will remain about as mobile. Some less, some more. But on average, they get it back. But clans? They get none of that.

I was really in approval when I thought it was a flat change across the board, so that all 'Mechs would feel heavier and more 'Mech than ballerina. But now, some assaults are even more maneuverable on the IS side.

and you still have immortal XLs, and clantech Endo, Ferro, DHS and weapons.

Cry me a river.

#18 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

rofl

seriously though, I pilot Assaults a lot. I have absolutely NO issue with their mobility. They feel just right. I can take out nimble light mechs with some work, proper movement and positioning, but I can't turn on a dime and get the heck out of dodge quickly if I make a poor decision and don't pay attention to the situation around me

View PostUltimatum X, on 01 December 2015 - 09:45 AM, said:

I would have been OK with the global mobility and agility nerfs if they went through and then re-added all of the lost agility and mobility directly into the mechs themselves.

Then they would be reducing the gap between mastered mechs and unmastered mechs which is good for NPE.

That's not what they did though.

Some mechs got big agility and mobility quirks, some did not. It's a very uneven application.

It's also ultimately bad for TTK, and it's bad for dynamic gameplay in general.

Hold up
wait
Has anyone even played the live version of these changes or is this purely theory crafting?

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

View PostSandpit, on 01 December 2015 - 10:25 AM, said:

rofl

seriously though, I pilot Assaults a lot. I have absolutely NO issue with their mobility. They feel just right. I can take out nimble light mechs with some work, proper movement and positioning, but I can't turn on a dime and get the heck out of dodge quickly if I make a poor decision and don't pay attention to the situation around me

and you still will. Notice that most Assault got decent sized agility quirks?

#20 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 01 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

Nope, I like the mobility changes. The pace of the matches in MWO has been too high in 2014-2015, with hyper-mobile Clan mechs, super-quirked Inner Sphere mechs, etc. Now we're getting both a nerf to TTK and a nerf to mobility. On top of that, PGI is trying to introduce some semblance of role warfare, even if it does leave a lot to be desired.

Maybe MWO will some day be a thinking man's shooter after all.

When 4v4 arrives, MWO may become the best it has been in a long while. No more 12-0 roflstomps in 3 minutes.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users