47 replies to this topic

#1 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

Figured ill start a thread about a serious disease known as the "Medium Mech Syndrome".
Its a kind of disease where you refuse to pilot anything above 55 tons and when your mech-shopping you dont consider anything else.

Its a serious disease from which alot of lurkers of this forum suffer. So feel free to share your hardships like its Medium Mech Anonymous.

#2 Saroxis

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:48 AM

I too suffer from medium mech syndrome. I buy heavies, I outfit them, some I even mastered for the extra module slot, but then I literally never play them again, I go right back to my shadowhawks and blackjacks. I have literally never played an assault mech.

#3 Lord Auriel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:56 AM

Hi my name is Auriel and I am a Medium-Mech'er.

The reason is simple

I'm a hipster, highly idiosyncratic and I'm a crazy person.

I always look at the % numbers of the player queue. I never play the weight class with the highest percentage (too mainstream). So heavies are pretty much dead for me. Assaults can be fun but I usually get left behind when I stop paying attention for three seconds to the direction my team is running. Too frustrating. Also I have only one assault Ilike that is actually good, and that is the battlemaster 1G with a huge XL engine :P

Sothat means I will stick with mediums and lights.

#4 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:12 AM

I am fortunate not to have this disease. I know I don't because my mouse cursor usually hovers over a locust or Urbie before it settles and clicks on a cicada, Griffin, or centurion. Now should I buy blackjacks or wolverines next???

#5 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 03 December 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

I am fortunate not to have this disease. I know I don't because my mouse cursor usually hovers over a locust or Urbie before it settles and clicks on a cicada, Griffin, or centurion. Now should I buy blackjacks or wolverines next???

No one takes a BJ seriously until its too late ;) and that fat 55tonner....all goodies in 1 arm

#6 PanzerMagier

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 1,369 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSome nameless backwater planet

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:27 AM

I have crabs disease... >.> The king strain, very rare...
The game just doesn't seem right when I play other mechs with other cockpits, they window shapes are burned into my eyes...

#7 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 03 December 2015 - 08:19 AM, said:

No one takes a BJ seriously until its too late ;) and that fat 55tonner....all goodies in 1 arm

I almost bought the arrow during the sale, but index up with the Ilya instead because I needed another 'Phract to keep leveling them. Maybe they will have a mastery pack sale soon And I can grab a set of BJ's

#8 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 03 December 2015 - 08:34 AM, said:

I almost bought the arrow during the sale, but index up with the Ilya instead because I needed another 'Phract to keep leveling them. Maybe they will have a mastery pack sale soon And I can grab a set of BJ's

I sold my Phract 0XP to raise money and open a slot for the Enforcer 5P (and take advantage of the upcoming faction sale).
Off topic but what do you think Lyran or FRR camo? FRR leave it dark blue, lyran allows me to mess around (right now inverted lyran on my 4P)

#9 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 03 December 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

I sold my Phract 0XP to raise money and open a slot for the Enforcer 5P (and take advantage of the upcoming faction sale).
Off topic but what do you think Lyran or FRR camo? FRR leave it dark blue, lyran allows me to mess around (right now inverted lyran on my 4P)

Cataphracts are my token heavies, I won the OXP in a give away so I decided to learn how to use it rather than let it go to waste. They are a challenging mech for sure. But, if I was afraid of challenging mechs I wouldn't be posting in a thread about medium mech addiction would I ;)

#10 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:25 AM

View Post3xnihilo, on 03 December 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

Cataphracts are my token heavies, I won the OXP in a give away so I decided to learn how to use it rather than let it go to waste. They are a challenging mech for sure. But, if I was afraid of challenging mechs I wouldn't be posting in a thread about medium mech addiction would I Posted Image

True, but i also outgrew it and i mostly used it for ecm cover, now im swapping my CW dropdeck to 1 assault and 3 mediums.

#11 Learchus

• Pip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

Yeah I started Missile boating Catapults, Ran the Shadowhawks, now I own 3 of them working through the skill trees now, ran a thunderbolt, went right back to my shadowhawk, not even sure what to run after my 3 shadowhawks 0.o

#12 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:22 AM

View PostLearchus, on 03 December 2015 - 11:08 AM, said:

Yeah I started Missile boating Catapults, Ran the Shadowhawks, now I own 3 of them working through the skill trees now, ran a thunderbolt, went right back to my shadowhawk, not even sure what to run after my 3 shadowhawks 0.o

if you like to brawl or AC's look at Enforcers, if you want one variant for one job look at Hunchbacks

#13 stuh42l

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 04:51 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 03 December 2015 - 08:12 AM, said:

As a fellow owner of 7 locusts (loci?) I will vote you get Wolverines next. I own all of those and the "crappy" free one is my absolute favorite and the MASC makes you feel like the old locust days of stopping on a dime.

#14 3xnihilo

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:41 PM

View Poststuh42l, on 05 December 2015 - 04:51 PM, said:

As a fellow owner of 7 locusts (loci?) I will vote you get Wolverines next. I own all of those and the "crappy" free one is my absolute favorite and the MASC makes you feel like the old locust days of stopping on a dime.

Ah, you speak my language. Actually after running some srm Griffins and centurions since the last patch, wolverines do sound tempting. What are you running on the loyalty one?

#15 stuh42l

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 82 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:59 PM

View Post3xnihilo, on 05 December 2015 - 06:41 PM, said:

Ah, you speak my language. Actually after running some srm Griffins and centurions since the last patch, wolverines do sound tempting. What are you running on the loyalty one?

Before the last patch, i eschewed the B hard point with an MG, and packed a MPL and 2 ASRM6. Full JJ and MASC and XL 300 I mastered it with that setup.

After patch, I am running a UAC5, 2 SRM 6, MASC and full JJ with a smaller engine. XL 275

#16 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

I keep seeing griffins but they all seem to pack XL engines....doesnt that give it a deathwish?

#17 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:11 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 08 December 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

I keep seeing griffins but they all seem to pack XL engines....doesnt that give it a deathwish?

Griffins are decently XL friendly. I run most of mine with XLs and while I do have side torso deaths from time to time it is usually after I have lost a majority of my weapons anyway.

I will add that I have a severe medium mech addiction. I just like them and pilot them the best. Oddly enough some of my favorites are ones that traditionally many think don't perform well. I have owned and/or own all but two of the medium chassis. The two I don't own are the Trebuchet and the Kintaro.
Here is my personal ranking of each IS chassis I have played (based on the ones I like to play the most not off of performance or meta necessarily).NOTE: this is list is subject to change often! And don't confuse this with favorite variant, that would be a totally different list! LOL
1. Enforcer
2. Blackjack
3. Crab
4. Griffin
5. Centurion
6. Vindicator
7. Shadow Hawk
8. Hunchback
8. Cicada
9. Wolverine

I know many of you are thinking no way Mech..... should be that low on the list. Never fear, these are all great mechs and I like playing them all. So tomorrow this list could be in a completely different order! I will also add that all 9 that I have played are great fun.

Here is my list for Clan mediums in order of what my favorite chassis is.
1. Stormcrow (obviously)
2. Ice Ferret and Shadow Cat (hard for me to separate the two even though they are a lot different. I the first I get speed in the other I get ECM. I think I'd like a hybrid of the two! LOL
3. Nova

When listing them out like this it is obvious I have an undeniable affliction that only medium mechs can cure!

#18 Alianton

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts

Posted 08 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

y'know if you said that Now, with the frankly absurd structure quirks to the BJ's and the hunchbacks, ok. but tbh before this i was mostly a heavy pilot :) the tbrs and Hbrs and tbolts are still my favourite mechs :D

#19 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 04:56 AM

View PostDrnkJawa, on 08 December 2015 - 09:19 AM, said:

The rockin chairs are over there Grampa. No guts no Galaxy.

Mediums are the compromise between "speed is life" and "talk softly and carry a really big stick" ie Lights and Heavies.

#20 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 06:50 AM

View PostTractor Joe, on 10 December 2015 - 04:56 AM, said:

The rockin chairs are over there Grampa. No guts no Galaxy.

Mediums are the compromise between "speed is life" and "talk softly and carry a really big stick" ie Lights and Heavies.

I believe this short clip sums up a mediums life when engaging a fat enemy
https://youtu.be/35lqo1FeJpI?t=19s

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users