#1 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:10 PM

Confession of a space viking who isn't too bright:

The upcoming event has gotten my FRR pride on, such that when seeing the "Raider Badge" on non-space vikings I was exhibiting a twitch of disdain. While I realize the badge came with the Marauder pack, its depicted (stero)typical viking helm is so FRR-ish that I had to go out and get one. So bought the damn Marauder pack just so I could have my FRR appropriate hat emblem in time for the battle. Then I sold the mechs as I have no desire for anymore mechs.

Stupid yes.
But I got my pretend helm/badge.
Now to stock up on real Akvavit, lefse, and lutefisk and I'm all set.

-Bud

#2 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:30 PM

It's OK Bud, the intent to fly anything FRR related shows how much you support the faction. No need to feel guilty if you got what you wanted and it is for a good cause as well. You could of been ******** and paid $500 for a Clan mech with a gold paint job. Totally justified.

I thought I had pre-ordered the Marauder pack and was surprised when I didn't get it. I did pre-order something else, almost pre-ordered the Marauder and then didn't so. After it came out I just bought it right there. I was pissed lol.

Thank you for citing the helm is stereotypical.

#3 Alstren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 263 posts
  • LocationNext door to PGI's North American server room

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:54 PM

At first I just wanted the Marauder but when I saw the badge part of me squeed with joy.

Now any one know some traditional FRR camo and paint schemes?

#4 Alec Braca

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 224 posts
  • LocationAttleboro, Massachusetts USA

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostFirestormClone218, on 03 December 2015 - 06:54 PM, said:

At first I just wanted the Marauder but when I saw the badge part of me squeed with joy.

Now any one know some traditional FRR camo and paint schemes?

http://camospecs.com/Faction.asp?ID=15

#5 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 03 December 2015 - 08:15 PM

They could have just used a type of helm that was actually used but instead they decided to use some silly fantasy one. :/

#6 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:14 AM

Vompo,

As a fan of all things fact based, I agree that the sterotypical horned helm is an inaccurate prop that has been a forced identifier of all things associated with viking culture for a long time (thanks NFL, et al). Nevertheless, it HAS become associated with our collective identification of said culture, inaccurate as it may be.

In this case however, its association with the further sterotype of the raiding, blood thirsty, battle crazed, viking warrior; is in my view entirely appropriate in a video game featuring primarily the act of beating the crap out of one another in big stompy battle machines. In this context, I do believe a bit of historical fudging for the sake of perceived badass-ary is acceptable. Besides as an American it is my civic duty to ignore facts when necessary to perpetuate my own ideals and goals. ;)

#7 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

But... but the "horny helmets" are madyuppy :,(

Edited by VompoVompatti, 04 December 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#8 Scurro

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

Posted Image

#9 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:02 AM

A true FRR Viking !!!!!

#10 Odanan

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 06 December 2015 - 04:27 AM

To use this helmet as a symbol of "Space Vikings" shows that [about either the FRR or the Vikings] you know nothing [John Snow].

I'm kidding. The badge is cool. Vikings are (were) great. And FRR is awesome. Putting the 3 things together is appropriate.

(I'm just sad you ditched your Marauders - now that's a powerful mech, and fitting for a Periphery Bandit Space Viking)

Edited by Odanan, 06 December 2015 - 05:58 AM.

#11 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 06:55 AM

View PostOdanan, on 06 December 2015 - 04:27 AM, said:

(I'm just sad you ditched your Marauders - now that's a powerful mech, and fitting for a Periphery Bandit Space Viking)

I just had to dump em. I figured I would never take the Marauder over my beloved Black Knights (crappy hard point locations and all) at the 75 ton point. Thought about keeping the jump variant, but then I already have hard hitting heavies that jump (Cataphract-D, Thunderbolt-9SE, my beloved Quickdraws, and I just started working on Grasshoppers). Plus, for sentimental reasons I bought the Warhammer and that is already going to feel like a duplicate of many mechs I already have, and the Marauder felt even more redundant. But still...the badge seems so FRR appropriate that I had to have it.

#12 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 07 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Selling the Marauders? You mad bro?

They're freaking awesome mechs.

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:20 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 07 December 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

Selling the Marauders? You mad bro?

They're freaking awesome mechs.

My OCD nature won't let me keep mechs in my inventory that I won't play anytime soon. I'm still working through the Resistance mechs for cripes sake. Then I have the Warhammer and Atlas variants that I picked up in the last sale. Just don't play enough. Maybe in 6 months or so I will pick em up again. Until then my inventory is clean. :)

#14 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 10 December 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 December 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

My OCD nature won't let me keep mechs in my inventory that I won't play anytime soon. I'm still working through the Resistance mechs for cripes sake. Then I have the Warhammer and Atlas variants that I picked up in the last sale. Just don't play enough. Maybe in 6 months or so I will pick em up again. Until then my inventory is clean. Posted Image

So you are actually mad then? That's cool. :)

#15 Liquid Leopard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationChesapeake, VA

Posted 08 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 December 2015 - 07:20 PM, said:

My OCD nature won't let me keep mechs in my inventory that I won't play anytime soon. I'm still working through the Resistance mechs for cripes sake. Then I have the Warhammer and Atlas variants that I picked up in the last sale. Just don't play enough. Maybe in 6 months or so I will pick em up again. Until then my inventory is clean. :)

If you were serious about your OCD, then you could have written it as "CDO" (compulsive disorder, obsessive) to put it in alphabetical order. :)

...And, I wasn't going to use a badge at all, but then I saw the "Viking helmet".

The "Space Vikings" are my home faction, and even when I do a "faction tour" I take symbols of the FRR with me.
People who don't know sh!t about Vikings recognize the horned helmet as a Viking symbol, and players in the game can recognize an FRR warhorn. :D

Edited by Liquid Leopard, 08 May 2016 - 08:15 AM.

#16 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:06 AM

as an -SO- the spear of Odin is a better choice IMHO

Edited by nehebkau, 09 May 2016 - 08:07 AM.

#17 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 May 2016 - 08:56 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 09 May 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

as an -SO- the spear of Odin is a better choice IMHO

You call that a spear and some call it... It might be a bit too pointy though. :D

#18 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:49 AM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 09 May 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

You call that a spear and some call it... It might be a bit too pointy though. Posted Image

Better than the fist of the one-handed God. A true viking doesn't feed his hand to the wolf, he feeds his enemies to the wolf! Posted Image

Edited by nehebkau, 11 May 2016 - 05:49 AM.

#19 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 11 May 2016 - 10:18 PM

View Postnehebkau, on 11 May 2016 - 05:49 AM, said:

Better than the fist of the one-handed God...

Nah... The fist just represents a verb... You and your dirty minds... Resisting.

#20 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts

Posted 13 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostVompoVompatti, on 11 May 2016 - 10:18 PM, said:

Nah... The fist just represents a verb... You and your dirty minds... Resisting.

you wrote Refisting then changed it to resisting.... we all know that is what you did.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users