The Starter Mech

75 replies to this topic

#41 buckaroo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:26 AM

Canonically, it should be a Crockett. (Training 'mech.)

#42 vettie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 1,620 posts
  • LocationThe Good Ole South

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

So from what I remember reading, the Founders will either get 1 or 4 Mechs as part of their package (we all know Jenner Hunch Cata and Atlas) AND they will get a free starter mech - again from memory / reading -they will have the option to choose the class.

All others (folks like myself that have not purchased Founder Package) will receive 1 free starter mech, again, with the ability to choose class.

I suspect it will be 1 of the 4 mentioned mechs, but, and think about this, what if it is not? Suppose those 4 are reserved for founders OR unlocked as you gain XP / CBillls along your tree? That would mean 4 different starter mechs other than the Founders mechs (thus keeping the Founders skins unique to those who made purchase).

With this thought, that gives us a lot more CHASSIS on the battlefield other than just 4 chassis (variants aside). Even tho you can make many variants with each mech, just seeing 4 chassis (1 from each class) running around gets (visual) boring until people buy / are awarded (how ever it works) new CHASSIS.

I am not sure how it will work but I do hope there is some consideration so that every body is not in 1 to 4 of the same chassis. I know the game and game play will be great and exciting, but seeing only Jenners, Hunchies, Catapults and Altas would get boring....

Just my thoughts

#43 Graewulf

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:38 AM

View Postwargonglok, on 11 July 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

I would prefer they hand us 10 million c-bills so you can buy your atlas or buy something cheaper and mod it some

I doubt that will happen. I would prefer they let each player choose from the entire list of mechs that are available, but upon 'purchase', this 'starting' mech is permanently attached to your account and cannot be sold/traded. This allows everyone whatever mech they want to fit their playstyle and keeps players from exploiting the system. Given the chance, there will be players that will buy an Atlas, sell it, buy a Commando (for example), mod it like crazy, and have a ton of cash leftover. That's not really fair to the guy that choose a Commando as his starting mech, since now he's at a disadvantage right from the start.

#44 Ashmodaii

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSol-System -> Terra -> Europa -> 49°23'12"87N 6°45'00"16O

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

imho there will be four classes, light, medium, heavy and assault, where you choose the first one from and get better ones through XP you earn. simular to WoT system, what proofed to be simple and good. Again, thats what I think we get.probably they will make different trees for the houses, different chassis, and so on.we will see

Edited by Ashmodaii, 11 July 2012 - 09:11 AM.

#45 Name48928

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts
  • LocationCoMo

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 11 July 2012 - 06:45 AM, said:

Ah! It was in Announcements and not Dev Corner. Thanks for the link! Good info to have.

#46 TheOneGunslinger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  • Locationaustralia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostGraewulf, on 11 July 2012 - 08:38 AM, said:

I doubt that will happen. I would prefer they let each player choose from the entire list of mechs that are available, but upon 'purchase', this 'starting' mech is permanently attached to your account and cannot be sold/traded. This allows everyone whatever mech they want to fit their playstyle and keeps players from exploiting the system. Given the chance, there will be players that will buy an Atlas, sell it, buy a Commando (for example), mod it like crazy, and have a ton of cash leftover. That's not really fair to the guy that choose a Commando as his starting mech, since now he's at a disadvantage right from the start.

i dobt like thta idea because it only works if you know what and how you want to play the game before you play it. whta happens if you chose a ATLAS and find out you dont like it you are then stuck with a mech you dont like.

#47 MechRaccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 312 posts
  • LocationIn a dumpster. A walking, nuclear powered, space dumpster with lasers on it.

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:38 PM

I HAVE AN IDEA!

UrbanMech as starter mech?

Posted Image

#48 Lord Cochrane

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

View Postwargonglok, on 11 July 2012 - 07:07 AM, said:

I would prefer they hand us 10 million c-bills so you can buy your atlas or buy something cheaper and mod it some

Same with them just handing out a mech, I can see 90% of new players in an Atlas.

#49 Cirran

• PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationKentares IV

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:06 PM

View Postbuckaroo, on 11 July 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

Well according to Cresent Hawk's revenge it was the http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Chameleon.
With all the Mechs in the Battletech universe. I hope mech bay slots are not too expensive.

#50 Glythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 11 July 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

The obvious starter mech would be the Atlas...

I can just imagine loads of new players running (walking) around screaming "ATLAS SMASH PUNY SCOUT!!!ONE-ONE-ELEVEN"

You will not start in an Atlas..... unless you have a founders pack. It's a 100% Guarantee as it would be a TON of lost sales.

#51 Baron Kreight

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:16 PM

Based on the info from the devs we should assume that only four mechs are availabe to chose from at the start - Jenner, Catapult, Hunchback and Atlas.

Ok, so why other mechs are not available? And if so when they will become available? There are no tiers like in WoT which means you don't have to grind to open up new chassis or variants.

From the mechlab video you can also see a dragon mech in the list along with different variants of other mechs.

However if you are obliged to pick one of those four mechs at the start there is still an option to pilot other mech. You can sell your starter mech right away and buy another one. If the sale doesn't get you enough credits, then you'll have to buy more with cash.

#52 Grajo

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:58 AM

View PostTheOneGunslinger, on 11 July 2012 - 03:57 AM, said:

dont think it is any mech guessing it will give you the option of 4 (one for each class) most likely the founder mechs (with out the founder skin or c-bill booster)

Totally agree with you, mate.

#53 FiveDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:13 AM

I too got the impression that the founder mechs would also be the starter mechs for non-founders. The devs stated we would be able to start in any weight class.

What other four mechs - one of each weight class, preferably "worse" than the founder mechs - could they provide?
  • Commando
  • Trebuchet
  • JagerMech
  • Awesome
I dunno. I expect Jenner, Hunchback, Catapult, Atlas.

#54 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:39 AM

Actually money would be a great idea, because the lighter mechs are cheaper so not taking an Atlas (or whatever) would mean you're losing out. If they gave cash you could ensure everyone got the same amount and the ligher mechs would just have the modding advantage for having a cheaper, weaker (but faster) mech.

View Postbuckaroo, on 11 July 2012 - 07:26 AM, said:

In my day, we piloted a Chameleon (training mech)!

#55 Gingercrammer

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 10 posts
  • LocationKill Devil Hills

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:44 AM

So excited to see what our choices will be for sure. Hopefully there is some variety to choose from. As some have said, it would get rather stale coming across the same 4 mechs for the first couple days/weeks. I wouldn't have a problem going in with a couple friends all with light/medium mechs against a whole bunch of Atlas's. Just keep moving and pepper that slag heap in his metal butt! MG's and Flamethrowers to the shins!

#56 Kyossed

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:20 AM

Why is everyone assuming you'll be able to sell your starter mechs for Cbills, or even at all? What kind of game would let you cripple yourself by selling the only way you have to generate more currency? One overeager sale when trading down, and you'd be out too much money to buy another mech, and then unable to play at all.

#57 Seabear

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts
  • LocationMesquite, Texas

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:27 AM

I can't remember where I saw it, and I don't feel like digging thru about a million pages of posts. If I remember correctly, every player will have the chance to select a mech that serves in the role he/she seeks to play. That means not having to "start at the bottom of the heap". For Role warfare to work (and it will be a integral part of the game per devs) there must be a variety of mech chasis on the battlefield. Looking at the list of mechs available (14 at this time), there are a lot of possibilties - especially when one considers the variants of each.

#58 R0AHN

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:40 PM

View PostReoh, on 12 July 2012 - 06:39 AM, said:

In my day, we piloted a Chameleon (training mech)!

:D

I still have my 2nd Edition lying around somewhere...

On-topic: Logically, the game probably won't let you sell Mechs until you have at least two. That way you can't get stuck in a situation where you have no Mech and insufficient C-bills to buy a new one. It also means that you can't do as was suggested earlier, picking Atlas and selling it for extra money to buy something lighter and trick it out.

I'm also thinking that the Founders Mechs will also be non-sellable for exactly the same reason. It would just be too cheap to sell everything except the one you really wanted, and then have a few million C-bills left over to maybe buy another one.

I don't know - it's all speculation...

Edited by R0AHN, 12 July 2012 - 07:41 PM.

#59 StarfyrGuns

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
  • LocationBullhead City, Arizona

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:05 PM

Well, IF they do it similar to WoT, your starter mech will cost "0" of course...and sell for "0"...that way, if someone accidently sells/deletes their starter mech, its just a mouse click to get it back. Least that makes sense to me.

#60 Captain Fabulous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 685 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

View PostRushin Roulette, on 11 July 2012 - 04:03 AM, said:

The obvious starter mech would be the Atlas...

I can just imagine loads of new players running (walking) around screaming "ATLAS SMASH PUNY SCOUT!!!ONE-ONE-ELEVEN"

Edit... fixed a typo :D

THIS IS THE ONLY OPTION EVER IN EXISTENCE.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users