Forum Has Overly Strict And Assinine Word Block List.

23 replies to this topic

#1 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts
  • LocationOff in the Desert

Posted 08 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

Come on guys, We are all adults here, and even if we are not, worse is said in middleschool. You don't have filters on the game, Take off the super strict and overly expansive filters on the dang forums. You wanna filter F bombs and stuff? Sure what ever, but some of the other things that are not even swear words? wtf mate

I feel like this has been moderated by the same people demanding safe spaces in college from 'Offensive halloween constumes'

Quit treating this like it's Diseny Junior and stop censoring the discussions and honesty had within.

I mean seriously, I can't even talk about The German Political Power that started World War 2 in a historical context with out that "Goodwins Law" stuff replacing it? .. Really?

Edited by Seph MacLeod, 08 December 2015 - 09:52 PM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 09 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

I suggest referring to the code of conduct,
http://mwomercs.com/...nduct-expanded/

it clearly defines what can or cannot be discussed, and one thing the name of the German working party of the 1930s and 40s has became associated with is racial hatred, which is against the code, so I am guessing they put that name on the filter to prevent people for getting themselves into trouble, it would be rather challenging (if it is even possible) to put in a filter which searches for the context in which you are using a word, to decide if it is appropriate.

#3 Rushin Roulette

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:38 AM

And if you really want to open a political discussion in regards to history and its failings you should be using the correct names of the political party. What is filtered is just the abbreviated name.

#4 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 02:47 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 09 December 2015 - 01:40 AM, said:

it clearly defines what can or cannot be discussed, and one thing the name of the German working party of the 1930s and 40s has became associated with is racial hatred, which is against the code, so I am guessing they put that name on the filter to prevent people for getting themselves into trouble, it would be rather challenging (if it is even possible) to put in a filter which searches for the context in which you are using a word, to decide if it is appropriate.

View PostRushin Roulette, on 09 December 2015 - 02:38 AM, said:

And if you really want to open a political discussion in regards to history and its failings you should be using the correct names of the political party. What is filtered is just the abbreviated name.

That was just an example to be had, It does not excuse the incredible list of words that are banned when many of them are just silly beyond belief, and even if the term of the German Political Party of the 30s and 40s is used as a a term for someone with extremes, what is wrong with the term Grammer-N or Lore-N or for that matter calling something a d-i-c-k move?

I don't know if this is a forum run by adults who love Giant Nuclear Robots in a Post apoc war setting or a sunday school forum trying to keep everything Disney PG.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:10 AM

because the N**i can also be a racial slur against German people, on reflection that is most likely the reason it is banned, I know you do not want to use it in those contexts but the fact that a few people will is the reason it is banned, and do not forget this game is played by people from many different countries, and thus should be setup to avoid serious offensive to everyone.

just because something is deemed acceptable to say in the US or UK does not mean it is acceptable in Australia, South Africa, France, Germany, China, Japan, Canada, Brazil, Russia or any of the hundreds of other countries we may have players from now or in the future

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 09 December 2015 - 03:12 AM.

#6 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:19 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 09 December 2015 - 03:10 AM, said:

Snipped

Welcome to the internet I say, where Borders are challenged, Cultures mix, and no one censors themselves (notice I said censor, not act like an A hole) for the fact it gets in the way of information exchange.

Also way to stick on the Na-zi word instead of, you know, the other many words they block for no reason.

#7 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:54 AM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 09 December 2015 - 03:19 AM, said:

Welcome to the internet I say, where Borders are challenged, Cultures mix, and no one censors themselves (notice I said censor, not act like an A hole) for the fact it gets in the way of information exchange.

Also way to stick on the Na-zi word instead of, you know, the other many words they block for no reason.

Did you know that discussing the CoC and moderation practice is also against CoC Posted Image

#8 Rushin Roulette

• 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 December 2015 - 04:30 AM

OK... what other completely normal word do they block which can not be used in any way to be an insult in any language? Come on. I predict that you cant name a single blocked word for which there is no derogatory meaning somewhere. Please also note, there are loads of words which are permitted, so making a post without running into the "excessive" word filter doesnt seem to be too difficult.

#9 Wildstreak

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 06:34 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 09 December 2015 - 03:54 AM, said:

Did you know that discussing the CoC and moderation practice is also against CoC Posted Image

Which CoC? Posted Image
New York City Coalition on the Continuum of Care?
College of the Canyons?
New York City Church of Christ?
Clash of Clans?

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:34 AM

to the best of my knowledge I have literally never had a post censored by the word filter, so provided you post sensibly you should rarely, if ever hit it.

you posted a complaint that you could not use the commonly used, incorrect name for the NSDAP, so I focused on that word in an attempt to explain why that word, and many other words which can be innocently used in conversation but are insults or swear words to other nationalities.

e.g. there is a chance that this will be picked up, but in the US spaz is an innocent term meaning loose physical or emotional control, it the UK it is short for spastic, a derogatory term for people with cerebral palsy, and I, a British man, with (extremely mild) cerebral palsy was not aware of that until a few months ago

#11 Lunatic_Asylum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 600 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:32 PM

I always speak out againt censorship in speech. Freedom of speech and self-expression for everyone! Posted Image

Also, I appreciated the subtle and possibly deliberate Freudian slips behind "as[s]inine" in the topic title and the absence of comma in the initial direct addressing in "Come on guys, We are all adults here." to demean political correctness.

Even the name of the Centurion Hero 'Mech becomes censored on the forum!

Can we just have an option on the forum to disable the filter?

Edited by Lunatic_Asylum, 09 December 2015 - 11:36 PM.

#12 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 10 December 2015 - 02:23 AM

but cannot even use H O M O as in **** spaiens. kinda sucks.

also ***** K R A U T wtf seriously. We germans need this word because we do use it.

Edited by Lily from animove, 10 December 2015 - 02:30 AM.

#13 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 10 December 2015 - 03:57 AM

[..] no one censors themselves [...] for the fact it gets in the way of information exchange.

Really? You cannot exchange information politely?

#14 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostThe Great Unwashed, on 10 December 2015 - 03:57 AM, said:

Really? You cannot exchange information politely?

Bravo, Way to totally and utterly miss the point. Notice how I said nothing about swearing or demeaning any one else, but rather the many many other words that get caught in the "Oh let's not offend any one" cross fire.

#15 Alfonso McQuirko

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35 posts
  • LocationMty

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:06 AM

in few months we cant will discuss about the Santiago Masacre in the Outworld alliance, and quimical bombing from the House Lia to many worlds!!!... Say "surats" and "felty (put-your-hated-battletech-great-house-here)" . Say "clanner" will be banned to!!!

They are really playing the Comstar role very seriously!

#16 Jack Shayu Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:26 AM

just because something is deemed acceptable to say in the US or UK does not mean it is acceptable in Australia, South Africa, France, Germany, China, Japan, Canada, Brazil, Russia or any of the hundreds of other countries we may have players from now or in the future

I don't really have a strong opinion either way, but I thought I'd point out that with the exception of specific racial slurs, NOBODY in Australia, South Africa, France, Germany, China, Japan, Brazil, or Russia are going to give a flying **** about swear words. US, UK, and Canada? yeah maybe, America especially it's part of our culture, but a lot of other countries think it's funny that we censor swear words.

Edited by Jack Shayu Walker, 17 December 2015 - 05:27 AM.

#17 ReverseBurgler

• Pip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 19 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostSeph MacLeod, on 08 December 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

I mean seriously, I can't even talk about The German Political Power that started World War 2 in a historical context with out that "Goodwins Law" stuff replacing it? .. Really?

Why on earth would you try and discuss this on a game forum? This is a pretty silly gripe.

#18 Stealth Fox

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 736 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:55 PM

View PostReverseBurgler, on 17 December 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

Why on earth would you try and discuss this on a game forum? This is a pretty silly gripe.

Because the topics vary widely on this forum AND there is an RP set on this place that people have set up.

It's mighty silly to block words because they may have an offensive double meaning or block swears because.... why? Think of the children? .. the ones who are using worse words in middle school?

#19 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,593 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:02 AM

The filter is excessive - and this is from a guy who doesn't use racial/etc. slurs or profanity. However, the moderation of threads asking that the more egregious examples be removed from the filter has historically also been excessive. Sadly, it's probably only a matter of time before whoever's been deleting the threads finds this one and anonymously locks it - but I do agree that the filter should have the innocuous terms removed.

Edited by Void Angel, 19 December 2015 - 12:03 AM.

#20 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:10 AM

because the N**i can also be a racial slur against German people, on reflection that is most likely the reason it is banned, I know you do not want to use it in those contexts but the fact that a few people will is the reason it is banned, and do not forget this game is played by people from many different countries, and thus should be setup to avoid serious offensive to everyone.

I think it's possible the German party short name being nixed also has something to do with European censorship laws regarding the name. In much of Europe pretty much any reference to them is illegal. Symbols and even numbers and letters which might refer to them directly or obliquely are not allowed. Different values and mores aren't the only factor here - there are laws involved as well which corporations are keen on avoiding.

I don't know of any non-swears the censorship filter filters other than apparently that. Not much reason to use the above term in this context anyhow. I think trying to list words which are filtered here is going to be a fast way to lockdown if not a deletion. But I do think someone who says the filter is excessive should give some example other than said party, especially if they are going to complain about people only touching on that example.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users