- - - - -

Tips For A Newbie?

40 replies to this topic

#1 Sam Doehart

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:01 AM

Greetings MWO! I've just started getting into this game, and while I'm not new to the franchise, this game is an entirely different beast than previous MechWarrior games. While I'm having fun exploring what the different mechs can do, I think I've settled on long range bombardment as my favorite play style. I don't really enjoy being in the thick of the action. I'd much prefer raining fiery death on my enemies from a comfortable distance.

So far the Catapult has been serving my needs fairly well, but as I approach the point of being able to purchase my first mech, I find myself wondering if I could do better. I'm also curious if there's a particular loadout I should be setting up.

See you all on the battlefield!

#2 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:09 AM

Well since it seems you have decided on a playstyle, long range fire support, the biggest piece of advice i can give you is do not get seperated from your teammates. you end up alone you end up being food for a wolfpack. a couple good lights will kill you dead before you team even knows what is happening if they catch you alone.
After that what is your prefered weapon for raining fiery death on the enemy? You mentioned a Catapult, which I assume is LRM's. Biggest issue with LRM's is getting locks. But there are other methods of long range fire support. ERLL's, guass rifles, AC5's. Before recommending loadouts/mechs what type of fire support you want to do? Do you play IS or clan or does it matter to you?

#3 Kidler

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 79 posts
  • LocationOST, Poland

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:22 AM

My pro tips for new players: don't split with rest of the team, cover your team-mates, stop shoot through your mates, watch minimap and last but not least use your brain.
Your welcome.

#4 Coralld

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:26 AM

As to what was said above, there are different forms of long range fire support. However given what you described, im guessing you are talking about LRMs. A good LRM mech would be the Hunchback 4J. It is a LRM monster with 2x LRM10s with plenty of energy hardpoints for back up weapons and a energy mount in the head for you to install a TAG system which acts like a laser pointer and buffs all LRMs that are being fired at an enemy you are tagging.
The HBK 4J can also be upgraded with a heavier engine to make it run faster, 250 rated is the standard for most Hunchback builds.
As always, get Endo Steel and Double Heat Sinks.
The mech, like all HBK builds, are rather cheap and don't cost all that much to buy and build.

Edited by Coralld, 13 December 2015 - 12:51 PM.

#5 Sam Doehart

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:35 AM

View PostCoralld, on 13 December 2015 - 10:26 AM, said:

As to what was said above, there are different forms of long range fire support. However given what you described, in guessing you are talking about LRMs. A good LRM mech would be the Hunchback 4J. It is a LRM monster with 2x LRM10s with plenty of energy hardpoints for back up weapons and a energy mount in the head for you to install a TAG system which acts like a laser pointer and buffs all LRMs that are being fired at an enemy you are tagging.
The HBK 4J can also be upgraded with a heavier engine to make it run faster, 250 rated is the standard for most Hunchback builds.
As always, get Endo Steel and Double Heat Sinks.
The mech, like all HBK builds, are rather cheap and don't cost all that much to buy and build.

That sounds fantastic! Yeah, LRMs have been my favorite so far. I hadn't really considered a medium mech, though, because I figured I would need the armor a heavy mech provides.

#6 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

More of a website we use it.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/
To plan the budget, to plan the build, see the overall "speed vs damage vs armor" of your build. Explore things when you can't play for the momnet (at work spare time for example). etc...

#7 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostKoori Ookami, on 13 December 2015 - 10:35 AM, said:

That sounds fantastic! Yeah, LRMs have been my favorite so far. I hadn't really considered a medium mech, though, because I figured I would need the armor a heavy mech provides.

Never under estimate Mediums, some can be rather tanky, Hunchbacks and Enforcers as well as others can be pretty tough.
In the Hatchbacks case, it's toughnes comes from having good hitboxes and the mech it's self is rather small. Rule of thumb for Hunchbacks, always use your left torso as a shield to absorb incoming fire, and if you lose your left side it's not that big of a deal, just save your right side at all costs.

#8 ThunderTusk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 187 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationItaly-Sardinia

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Be patient, search a group of good, active and fun players, listen the others players in cw and pug, learn from your mistakes :)

and have fun of course :)

#9 Sam Doehart

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:56 AM

View PostCoralld, on 13 December 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

Never under estimate Mediums, some can be rather tanky, Hunchbacks and Enforcers as well as others can be pretty tough.
In the Hatchbacks case, it's toughnes comes from having good hitboxes and the mech it's self is rather small. Rule of thumb for Hunchbacks, always use your left torso as a shield to absorb incoming fire, and if you lose your left side it's not that big of a deal, just save your right side at all costs.

So would you say the Hunchback is a better LRM platform than the Catapult? Also, the Trubuchet seems VERY good.

View PostTierratanmala, on 13 December 2015 - 10:50 AM, said:

Be patient, search a group of good, active and fun players, listen the others players in cw and pug, learn from your mistakes Posted Image

and have fun of course Posted Image

That's the other thing I'm having trouble with. I've had one game so far where someone actually stuck with me, and it was awesome, but the rest have just been everyone rushing in. Need to find a faction or something.

Edited by Koori Ookami, 13 December 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#10 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

Pay attention to mech quirks. Hunchback 4j got pretty good lrm10 quirks, basically it fires them much faster than any other mech because of cooldown quirks it got. This is something new players should be informed about. Have fun!

#11 Sam Doehart

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

View Postz3a1ot, on 13 December 2015 - 11:11 AM, said:

Pay attention to mech quirks. Hunchback 4j got pretty good lrm10 quirks, basically it fires them much faster than any other mech because of cooldown quirks it got. This is something new players should be informed about. Have fun!

Why is the cooldown better on it?

#12 ThunderTusk

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 187 posts
  • LocationItaly-Sardinia

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

View PostKoori Ookami, on 13 December 2015 - 10:56 AM, said:

So would you say the Hunchback is a better LRM platform than the Catapult? Also, the Trubuchet seems VERY good.

That's the other thing I'm having trouble with. I've had one game so far where someone actually stuck with me, and it was awesome, but the rest have just been everyone rushing in. Need to find a faction or something.

Yeah i know, when i play alone it's a disaster i f i don't go in the right team Posted Image, and it's one hundred times worst for a newbie Posted Image

For the mech i suggest an Heavy like a Timberwolf, an Ebon Jaguar or a Thunderbolt, the first two especially.

Edited by Tierratanmala, 13 December 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#13 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:53 AM

View PostKoori Ookami, on 13 December 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

That is just the mech trate or quirks, quirks help make mechs stand out and do better in some rolls than others, it's a way to give them more character and helps make the game more diverse.

As for your question on is the HBK 4J better than the Catapult, it really depends on your play style. The thing about Catapults are is that to get the best performance out of it you will need to get an XL Engine for it, XLs weigh half as much as a STD Engine of the same raiting but makes you squishy in that if you lose a side torso you die, that and they are super expensive.

View PostTierratanmala, on 13 December 2015 - 11:28 AM, said:

Yeah i know, when i play alone it's a disaster i f i don't go in the right team Posted Image, and it's one hundred times worst for a newbie Posted Image

For the mech i suggest an Heavy like a Timberwolf, an Ebon Jaguar or a Thunderbolt, the first two especially.

Configuring a Timber, Jag, or Thunderbolt into an LRM mech, which is what the OP is looking for, would be a dis-service to those chassies and a wast in their potential. Yes, they can be set up to do LRMs but there are better mechs out there for LRMs such as the Mad Dog.

Edited by Coralld, 13 December 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#14 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Start adding player's to your Friend's List and you'll get invited to group up soon enough and eventually someone will ask you if you want to join their unit.

Adding Friend's is easy...while in-game, pull up the Scoreboard (Tab) and right-click on anyone you want to add as a Friend. It will bring up a menu and you can send the invite. They will see it after the game because their Alert tab will flash. Once you start building up your friend's list you'll see invites under the Alert tab (Social button on the bottom, icon looks like 3 people), and you can also start your own group and invite others on your Friend's List.

As far as a good missile mech the medium Kintaro KTO-18 is a good one.

#15 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:37 PM

Every mech has its own quirks. That's the system PGI implemented to diversify mech roles in game. You can check mech quirks before buying anything by going to store and hovering mouse above the mech you want, that way you will see quirks summary. Green text means positive qurks and red negative.

Remember that quirks stack with one another, for example: energy range 10% and large laser range 5% quirk on mech means that you will gain 15% range buff if you equip large lasers on that mech.

After that when you earn enough GXP and start unlocking modules you can make your favourite mech beastly.

Edited by z3a1ot, 13 December 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#16 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

Here are some LRM mechs and builds that I run for you to look over.

HBK-4J
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...10e455e4d9b3dd0

Mad Dog
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...447199d75124b22

Catapult A1
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7cf8f1bae685ce9
You could get rid of the JJs to get a bit larger engine and or more ammo.

Edited by Coralld, 13 December 2015 - 12:47 PM.

#17 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 12:44 PM

I'd go Hunchback 4J if you're dead-set on focusing on LRMs; as stated before, it's cheaper to outfit and -really- pops out the LRMs fast with little issue. Sure, it's not as tanky, but it can be quite fast; being tanky is fine and well if you're slow, but if you can quickly move and re-position (which you're going to need to get used to even with an LRM mech; sitting back and turtling is a death sentence against better opponents) you'll be in a much better state.

Being able to support where needed and find better lines of sight for locks (you -need- to be able to maintain your own locks, period, not rely on your team to do so) is just going to be more beneficial. Honestly, I wouldn't say Catapults are in a good spot, and haven't been for some time. They're easy, easy targets, even with some very recent hitbox rejiggering.

The other plus side is if you want to master it, the other Hunchback variants are pretty solid and give you a variety of other roles to try once you get bored with LRM-ing, so you get a nice sampler platter down the road without them costing an arm and a leg or leapfrogging to another variant. Not many other IS chassis give you the range of options they do for role specific combat.

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:34 PM

View PostKoori Ookami, on 13 December 2015 - 11:23 AM, said:

in that context cooldown refers to reload rate, basically the LRM10 reloads 35% faster on the 4J than most other Mechs, thanks to the 15% LRM10 cooldown quirk and the 20% missile cooldown quirk, the 2 add up so 15+20=35

it also gets 10% for missile velocity and -10% missile heat gen, making missiles travel faster and generate less heat

#19 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 13 December 2015 - 01:57 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 13 December 2015 - 01:34 PM, said:

in that context cooldown refers to reload rate, basically the LRM10 reloads 35% faster on the 4J than most other Mechs, thanks to the 15% LRM10 cooldown quirk and the 20% missile cooldown quirk, the 2 add up so 15+20=35

it also gets 10% for missile velocity and -10% missile heat gen, making missiles travel faster and generate less heat

Don't forget, once you unlock and max out LRM10 Cooldown Module, his missile cooldown will get a 12% boost in its cooldown, making the LRM10s fire a total of 47% faster.

Edited by Coralld, 13 December 2015 - 01:57 PM.

#20 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 13 December 2015 - 02:05 PM

Play 3 hours a day ... you will be wreking in no time

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users