125 replies to this topic

#1 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

Greetings

I want to buy a mech to master, having some decision anxiety.

The metric I want to use to get said mech is what you think is the worst one available.

The mechs that I already have that many tend to lable as "bad" are: Locust. commandoes, urbies, adders.
cicadas, novas, the Wvr-7d(L), cathaphracts, orions.

So mention any other and I'll think of getting it!

Shoot! And I'll do my best to prove you wrong! ^^

Edited by Euklides, 15 December 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#2 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

Felicitations!

Vindicators. Granted I haven't played them since the latest quirk pass but hoo boi they used to be tough to run well.

#3 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

It's not that people shun them, there are just better options out there.

Actually, the Commandos, Cicadas, Wolverine (especially) and Orion all received some nice structure buffs. All are decently viable. Sometimes.

Nova is nice, though limited on tonnage. And they nerfed ER smalls because...balance. Right. Balance. Cause ER smalls were clearly the weapon everyone was complaining about.

Locust is quite fast, though quite fragile. I enjoy it time to time. If played right, you can do decent. Lack of ECM and JJ's holds it back though.

Commandos are alright, and quite fast. Limited hardpoints for the job gives them some limitations.

Adders are slow, but as a weakly armored medium, they fare alright. I've seen 1k damage in an adder with Dual PPC's.

Cicadas vary. The one with 5x MPL can be quite nice as a skirmisher. The one with the PPC is hilarious, but ineffective. Everything else is meh. Good speed, and JJ's on one model, but generally very large (including legs).

Novas are one of my personal favorites, even if they aren't "meta". Limited tonnage, low mounts and hardlocked JJ's and it's extremely large size hold it back, however.

Wolverine (that variant) is quite tanky now and enjoyable, though the weapons are a little mixed to be considered meta. Can certainly be decent in the right hands.

Cataphracts got no love in the balance pass, and their wide shape, low hardpoints and limited speed and tonnage hold them back.

Orions are similar to Cataphracts, though they got some decent structure buffs.

Out of all of those post-balance, I'd say Cataphract holds up the worst. Everything else has some positive aspect.

#4 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

View PostNight Thastus, on 14 December 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

It's not that people shun them, there are just better options out there.

Actually, the Commandos, Cicadas, Wolverine (especially) and Orion all received some nice structure buffs. All are decently viable. Sometimes.

Nova is nice, though limited on tonnage. And they nerfed ER smalls because...balance. Right. Balance. Cause ER smalls were clearly the weapon everyone was complaining about.

Locust is quite fast, though quite fragile. I enjoy it time to time. If played right, you can do decent. Lack of ECM and JJ's holds it back though.

Commandos are alright, and quite fast. Limited hardpoints for the job gives them some limitations.

Adders are slow, but as a weakly armored medium, they fare alright. I've seen 1k damage in an adder with Dual PPC's.

Cicadas vary. The one with 5x MPL can be quite nice as a skirmisher. The one with the PPC is hilarious, but ineffective. Everything else is meh. Good speed, and JJ's on one model, but generally very large (including legs).

Novas are one of my personal favorites, even if they aren't "meta". Limited tonnage, low mounts and hardlocked JJ's and it's extremely large size hold it back, however.

Wolverine (that variant) is quite tanky now and enjoyable, though the weapons are a little mixed to be considered meta. Can certainly be decent in the right hands.

Cataphracts got no love in the balance pass, and their wide shape, low hardpoints and limited speed and tonnage hold them back.

Orions are similar to Cataphracts, though they got some decent structure buffs.

Out of all of those post-balance, I'd say Cataphract holds up the worst. Everything else has some positive aspect.

Not really a thread about evaluating what I already like.

I do not tend to agree with the normal circle jerk regarding the "bad" mechs. I think most people claiming that is just having a knee jerk reaction regarding something that does not work for them.

That is also why I am here asking for input on what to buy, to test if the "bad" holds up as bad when I pilot them myself.

#5 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

View PostEuklides, on 14 December 2015 - 09:07 PM, said:

Not really a thread about evaluating what I already like.

I do not tend to agree with the normal circle jerk regarding the "bad" mechs. I think most people claiming that is just having a knee jerk reaction regarding something that does not work for them.

That is also why I am here asking for input on what to buy, to test if the "bad" holds up as bad when I pilot them myself.

You asked for which one was the "worst". I looked at each one, weighed its goods and bads, and gave you and answer. What more did you want?

#6 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:12 PM

View PostEmperorMyrf, on 14 December 2015 - 08:57 PM, said:

Felicitations!

Vindicators. Granted I haven't played them since the latest quirk pass but hoo boi they used to be tough to run well.

Been hearing about vidies for a while now. Granted as you say perhaps the general opinion will change due to the new quirks soon.

Have been building some in the mechlab, the 1x seems to be the trickiest, but trolling around with 3 ac2's is really tempting, something that I've gotten a habit to do with my (although just two)Wvr-7D(L)

View PostNight Thastus, on 14 December 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

You asked for which one was the "worst". I looked at each one, weighed its goods and bads, and gave you and answer. What more did you want?

I think I might have been unclear regarding my post then, I was asking for what you think is the worst mech available and I counted the ones I already had that most people attribute that title to, so that you would not have to mention something that I am already in possession of.

Edit: clarification

Edited by Euklides, 14 December 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#7 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

I'd have to say it's the WVR-7D. I can regularly get 700dmg in my WVR-6K, regularly get 400+ in my WVR-6R and WVR-7K, but in the WVR-7D I struggle to deal just 100 damage. It's really really sad.

#8 Night Thastus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:14 PM

I suppose I should have prefaced my comment by saying I own almost all of those 'Mechs you listed and play them regularly. I'm not some meta tryhard. I'm just letting you know *why* people see a 'Mech a certain way. I've had more fun in my Novas than I think any other 'Mech I own (it's close with the Warhawk) and it's nowhere near "meta". On the IS side, I've wrecked in my Orions, Spiders and Locusts.

I don't think any mech is inherently unplayable or bad, but some certainly do have advantages over others.

#9 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:17 PM

View PostTarogato, on 14 December 2015 - 09:14 PM, said:

I'd have to say it's the WVR-7D. I can regularly get 700dmg in my WVR-6K, regularly get 400+ in my WVR-6R and WVR-7K, but in the WVR-7D I struggle to deal just 100 damage. It's really really sad.

I am noting now that my first post might have been a bit misleading, I am asking for what you think is the worst of the ones I do not have, the ones that I have is the ones I mention.

Will see if I can't edit the main post to be more clear.

#10 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:08 PM

Vindicators, bad as some say they are, have mobility.

Now Awesomes....

#11 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:22 PM

Ah, well... in that case I'm thinking Kit Fox, Spider, Trebuchet, Victor, Gargoyle, Highlander. Probably in somewhat that order.

#12 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

Give Urbanmechs a whirl now that they are going to be available for cbills.

#13 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:00 AM

View PostPrecentor Martial Jarcaddy, on 15 December 2015 - 06:02 AM, said:

Give Urbanmechs a whirl now that they are going to be available for cbills.

Oups, forgot to add that one, bought those long ago!
So much fun, still drop in them.
Might even sport an ac20 if I feel high and mighty and need to step down from my high throne by realizing my aim sucks just as bad as it always has ^^

#14 trans catgirl

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 29 posts
  • LocationMagistracy of Canopus

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:22 PM

The worst mech by far is the mist lynx. Fragile, hot, and slow. Ecm is one of its only redeeming qualities and taking that sacrifices half your potential firepower.

#15 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

Mist Lynx is a definite gimme for underperforming mechs. After that, I'd think maybe thunderbolt or trebuchet? haven't actually tried the trebuchet myself, and there's a thunderbolt out there that can run some decent ballistics, so I'm not sold on either of those myself.

~Leone.

#16 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:43 PM

Mist Lynx by far. TBolt at least has the TDR-9SE which has absurd LPL firepower. Trenchbucket is probably another one that's in the running for worst mech, but the SRM buffs have kind of lifted their game a little.

For the IS side, the missile lolcust. Seriously, what are you going to do with 4M hardpoints on a 20-ton mech...
That being said, a kamikaze lolcust painted in Imperial Japanese colours is possible. That missile lolcust can pack a 53 point alpha if you go with only two full salvos of SRM6 x 4 and no armor.

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 15 December 2015 - 06:44 PM.

#17 Euklides

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

View PostArcturusWolf, on 15 December 2015 - 06:43 PM, said:

Mist Lynx by far. TBolt at least has the TDR-9SE which has absurd LPL firepower. Trenchbucket is probably another one that's in the running for worst mech, but the SRM buffs have kind of lifted their game a little.

For the IS side, the missile lolcust. Seriously, what are you going to do with 4M hardpoints on a 20-ton mech...
That being said, a kamikaze lolcust painted in Imperial Japanese colours is possible. That missile lolcust can pack a 53 point alpha if you go with only two full salvos of SRM6 x 4 and no armor.

Myth lynx seems to be the biggest contender, looking at it now it seems to be in the spot of, not enough tonnage to grab big guns and not enough hardpoints for many small guns.

But looks like it would run like a slower commando with those arm hardpoint, I am starting to lean on getting the myth.

#18 Dugra Dugrasson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 139 posts
  • LocationKris Kringle's Resistance Bunker

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

Awesome is not awesome. Combine the deceptive name with the billboard hitbox and you have the worst 'Mech in the game.

Edited by nodebate, 15 December 2015 - 09:36 PM.

#19 Fat Jack Murphy

• PipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEuropa

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:17 AM

try pretty baby or summoner as direct fire.

#20 Rushin Roulette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:25 AM

View Postnodebate, on 15 December 2015 - 09:36 PM, said:

Awesome is not awesome. Combine the deceptive name with the billboard hitbox and you have the worst 'Mech in the game.

Are you including the god of fat thundernipples 8Q in that statement? Because that mech is deffinitely far from bad. Some of the other variants are sort of Meh though in higher tier battles due to missile quirks. Apart from that, the Awsomes as a whole are very mobile assault mechs (playing more like middle weight Heavies or slow mediums).

The Awsome as a whole mech group is not great when compared to other assault mechs... but there are deffinitely other mechs available which are harder to play good with and perform worse (Missed Lynx and Ice Ferret im looking to you with those easy to hit arms with all weapons in them).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users