Mwo Mechs With Battletech Proportions

3D

95 replies to this topic

#1 SelectiveCape12

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:18 PM

Just thought I'd share some stuff I've been messing with. Nothing really fancy. It's all simply what I think the mechs would look like if their designs were closer to the BT originals.

I'll upload some more as I find the time to make them.

Note: These works do not represent the correct height and size of each mech.

Cheers

-Warning!- Laser stubs for arms are not allowed in this thread! Gun barrels only!

Awesome
Spoiler

BattleMaster
Spoiler

Catapult
Spoiler

Marauder
Spoiler

Dire Wolf
Spoiler

Mad Dog
Spoiler

Timber Wolf
Spoiler

Warhawk
Spoiler

Dragon/Grand Dragon
Spoiler

Centurion
Spoiler

Ice Ferret
Spoiler

Kit Fox
Spoiler

JagerMech
Spoiler

Ebon Jaguar
Spoiler

Banshee
Spoiler

Summoner
Spoiler

Atlas
Spoiler

UrbanMech
Spoiler

Quickdraw
Spoiler

Tomahawk
Spoiler

King Crab
Spoiler

Uziel
Spoiler

I got bored, so I put this together...
If this isn't what you do with your Marauder, then you're wasting everyone's time.

Posted Image

Edited by SelectiveCape12, 02 July 2018 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Mech42Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 917 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:28 PM

All very nice! Great work!

#3 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:02 AM

Nicely done! The Awesome is a definite improvement in my opinion.

#4 SelectiveCape12

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

Thanks for the comments. I try my best, but I will admit that I'm still quite the amateur when it comes to 3D modelling and rendering.

Most people would agree that the current PGI design of the Awesome will leave a lot of people wanting. I still remember PGI promising to do a re-scale of some of the mechs, including the Awesome, but I don't even think PGI remembers this. So I gave it a go instead and this is the result.

Don't get me wrong, I still like most of the PGI designs, it's just some of their design choices are somewhat baffling (looking at you laser stubs).

#5 Ryoken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 744 posts
  • LocationEuropa, Terra

Posted 19 December 2015 - 05:08 PM

Nice work I like the Battlemaster and Marauder.

I think the Catapult version of yours was done using the later Catapult figure cast which looks like a Kinder Surprise Egg. The first cast is much more beautyfull imho and thankfully MWO went with that.

#6 SelectiveCape12

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:41 AM

Yeah, I've noticed there were several different designs for the Catapult, one of which featured a strange alien-like design that had elongated legs and a tiny torso. But I went with the Kinder Surprise Egg design because it was the design that was featured in the game MechCommander, which was a game I had played a lot as I was growing up.

#7 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:42 PM

View PostSelectiveCape12, on 19 December 2015 - 04:32 PM, said:

Most people would agree that the current PGI design of the Awesome will leave a lot of people wanting. I still remember PGI promising to do a re-scale of some of the mechs, including the Awesome, but I don't even think PGI remembers this. So I gave it a go instead and this is the result.

Think someone said the re-scaling was pushed backed until the release of the classics mechs. Kinda make sense considering people are paying real money for Warhammers and Archers but the Catapult and Awesome really need some love.

#8 Iacov

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 668 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:05 PM

you did a superb job bringing them into proportion! spot on the originals!

maybe its my "generation" of bt players...but it proofs how extremely ugly the early mechs were - the redesigns are definately an improvement

#9 EyesBurn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 142 posts
  • LocationTamo daleko ...

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:00 PM

I love the current "Awesome" design and i dont want it to be changed but i am aware that its totally off compared to that what its supposed to be.I hope that they will leave it somehow unchanged,as in rename it or maybe leave it as a Mark 1 Awesome and they add in redesign that looks like yours as a Mark 2 but somehow knowing PGI i am afraid that will just screw it up big time just like they did it with those terrible new dynamic hardpoints (those ppc nipples and missile hardpoints Posted Image) ... better they just leave them the way they are now and keep dreaming by looking at this great Cape's designs .

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

View PostSteel Raven, on 20 December 2015 - 12:42 PM, said:

Think someone said the re-scaling was pushed backed until the release of the classics mechs. Kinda make sense considering people are paying real money for Warhammers and Archers but the Catapult and Awesome really need some love.

Nope. Only till after the IICs. Russ said only about a week ago that work starts mid month.

View PostSelectiveCape12, on 18 December 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

Just thought I'd share some stuff I've been messing with. Nothing really fancy. It's all simply what I think the mechs would look like if their designs were closer to the BT originals.

I'll upload some more as I find the time to make them.

Cheers

-Warning!- Laser stubs for arms are not allowed in this thread! Gun barrels only!

Awesome

Battlemaster

Catapult

Marauder

I got bored, so I put this together...
If this isn't what you do with your Marauder, then you're wasting everyone's time.

Posted Image

would totally buy the Marauder and Battlemaster.... stick with the MWO Catapult...and undecided on the Awesome.... great work regardless.

#11 Pathos

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 177 posts
  • LocationBritish Columbia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

That is the Battlemaster we need. Sadly we just have the one we deserved.

#12 SelectiveCape12

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Added four more mechs to the list: Dire Wolf, Mad Dog, Timber Wolf, and Warhawk.

View PostEyesBurn, on 20 December 2015 - 02:00 PM, said:

I love the current "Awesome" design and i dont want it to be changed but i am aware that its totally off compared to that what its supposed to be.I hope that they will leave it somehow unchanged,as in rename it or maybe leave it as a Mark 1 Awesome and they add in redesign that looks like yours as a Mark 2 but somehow knowing PGI i am afraid that will just screw it up big time just like they did it with those terrible new dynamic hardpoints (those ppc nipples and missile hardpoints Posted Image) ... better they just leave them the way they are now and keep dreaming by looking at this great Cape's designs .

I agree some of the new dynamic hardpoints are terrible. They literally look like weapons that were glued onto the mech instead of looking like it was built into the mech. Plus, I don't think anyone ever asked for smaller weapon models.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 December 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

Nope. Only till after the IICs. Russ said only about a week ago that work starts mid month.

Is that what the Custom Geometry update suppose to be or is that something else entirely?

#13 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:39 PM

View PostSelectiveCape12, on 22 December 2015 - 04:37 PM, said:

Added four more mechs to the list: Dire Wolf, Mad Dog, Timber Wolf, and Warhawk.

I agree some of the new dynamic hardpoints are terrible. They literally look like weapons that were glued onto the mech instead of looking like it was built into the mech. Plus, I don't think anyone ever asked for smaller weapon models.

Is that what the Custom Geometry update suppose to be or is that something else entirely?

not really sure which you are referring to? There is a round of long overdue rescales we voted on, 4 mechs chosed, first 2 were supposed to have been started middle of this month.

#14 SelectiveCape12

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:48 PM

Nevermind, it was something else. I saw a poll about Custom Geometry updates awhile back, but apparently it was referring to the custom geometry for the mechs from the different collection packages.

#15 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:39 PM

View PostSelectiveCape12, on 18 December 2015 - 06:18 PM, said:

Posted Image

Hire SelectiveCape12 because melee.

#16 Dirus Nigh

• 2,382 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 11:16 PM

The mechs look very nice.

#17 SelectiveCape12

• PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationOver there

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

View PostHexenhammer, on 22 December 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

I'll probably just cover every mech with pillows and tell them to play nice.

Posted Image

View PostDirus Nigh, on 22 December 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

The mechs look very nice.

You can thank PGI for that. It's their models after all. If anything, they do make cool looking robots.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 01:17 PM

View PostHexenhammer, on 22 December 2015 - 06:39 PM, said:

hire him because this Marauder actually looks good.

#19 Jaspbo1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 232 posts
  • LocationWoah

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:58 PM

PGI should take notes on what they need to turn the Awesome into to make it not stupid.
It definitely needs Daboku Mauler arm shields though.

#20 SgtMagor

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 03:45 AM

legs look really long in BT format, or just seem that way. the Madkitty looks larger, always thought that it was a large mech compared to the one in MWO when its walking it squats down to an even shorter profile.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users