14 replies to this topic

#1 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAnywhere and everywhere....

Posted 20 December 2015 - 07:51 PM

Lets me start off by asking which one is better and, or should they be used in conjunction with each other. I currently have a mark 1 and 5 target computer plus a clan active probe. I am running the mark 5 and probe on my timber, with a energy vomit build or energy, missile build.... Now what does the community think of these?. Which one is best to use versus space, weight and credits, and is it useful to use both together. Also I have advanced zoom installed, and love to snipe and brawl when the need arises....

Please leave your thoughts, I am interested to hear what you have to say.

Thank you.

#2 Stormie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 279 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:02 PM

If running streaks the BAP is mandatory, due to its ability to counter an ECM, which would otherwise neuter your SRMS.
general thinking is if you've got the slots and weight then any clan mech with lasers (ie all of them) can benefit from a Mk1 TC. as you go up in TC size the benefit is reduced not because they arent better but the opportunity cost of equipping them is greater.

Having said all that, I ran a triple LL, range module, adv zoom TC7 hellbringer for a while which was awesome fun, on the few maps where you can actually use the insane range (alpine, forest colony, faction warfare)

#3 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostStormie, on 20 December 2015 - 08:02 PM, said:

If running streaks the BAP is mandatory, due to its ability to counter an ECM, which would otherwise neuter your SRMS.
general thinking is if you've got the slots and weight then any clan mech with lasers (ie all of them) can benefit from a Mk1 TC. as you go up in TC size the benefit is reduced not because they arent better but the opportunity cost of equipping them is greater.

Having said all that, I ran a triple LL, range module, adv zoom TC7 hellbringer for a while which was awesome fun, on the few maps where you can actually use the insane range (alpine, forest colony, faction warfare)

Wait, wait a min. So the bigger the computer the less benefits you get from it, am I understanding this or did I just misunderstand... Please someone clarify...

#4 Barkem Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:21 PM

Running the BAP or CAP is a good idea even if you do not have LRMs, SSRM's or SRM's. Why, you can counter ECM. There are xp and/or c-bills rewards for ECM counter, ECM counter damage. Also spotting for LRM boats where you get the same rewards. You are in tier 5 like me, so there are enough LRM boats that it is beneficial to use them.

It should be mandatory for LRMs and SSRM's.

One other note, it allows your teammates to see that ECM mech near you and shoot it. Some times you see a mech going in circles, just before it dies. So it allows more situational awareness for your team.

Targeting computer allows you to get targeting information faster, zoom in more, extend targeting range, extend laser range and I think ballistics. One thing I am not sure of is how it affects the speed of targeting for the LRMs. I think it does, but TAG and Artemis or TAG and NARC also stack for the bonuses for target lock.

#5 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

You may have to open up the mech lab and look at the benefits for the targeting computers and make a decision for yourself on if they are worth it. I like to have a CAP on TC I or II on my Clan LRM mechs. Even some IS assaults with LRMs have a Command console. So with advance sensor range, BAP and the CC I can target things out to 1250 m. I have not tested the TC7 with CAP and advance sensor range.

#6 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:37 PM

I think on one zeus with quirks and modules it allows me to fire LRMs out to 1225 m while targeting out to 1250, but it also allows for more LRMs to hit a closer ranges. I like to fire LRMs at 300 to 400 m. In an oxide with 4 LRM 5's I have done over 750 damage while only carrying 4 tons of ammo (720 missiles). So I had one good arty strike on two direwolves, but I hit many missiles at close range where more hit than if I fired at 800 or 900 m.

#7 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:38 PM

Ok, so benefits do stack. That's good to know, reason I like the tc are those crit bonuses with the lasers, also for the speed and range bonuses. Cant be to careful with those sneaky light mechs, also for those that like to turn of their mech to be invisible to sensors...

#8 mailin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 2,033 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

The thing about the Targeting Computer is that as you go up the advantage becomes less. A TC 3 is better than a TC2, but the difference between those is less than the difference between a TC 2 and a TC1, so there are diminishing returns. This becomes especially problematic as you get higher up because you will need to decide if a bump is really worth it versus maybe another heat sink or something.

#9 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:01 PM

View Postmailin, on 20 December 2015 - 08:44 PM, said:

The thing about the Targeting Computer is that as you go up the advantage becomes less. A TC 3 is better than a TC2, but the difference between those is less than the difference between a TC 2 and a TC1, so there are diminishing returns. This becomes especially problematic as you get higher up because you will need to decide if a bump is really worth it versus maybe another heat sink or something.

Interesting, this is good to know. This is why I ask the community for information like this, heat sinks are a necessary in any mech, so the less space taken up by other modules the better.....

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 20 December 2015 - 08:38 PM, said:

Ok, so benefits do stack. That's good to know, reason I like the tc are those crit bonuses with the lasers, also for the speed and range bonuses. Cant be to careful with those sneaky light mechs, also for those that like to turn of their mech to be invisible to sensors...

only the (Clan or Beagle) Active Probe allow you to detect powered down Mechs, it also increases sensor range by 200m, gives you target info faster and counters ECM.

what type of missiles do you use?
the AP is great if you are taking LRMs or SSRMs because it counters ECM allowing you to get a lock even if an ECM Mech is within ECM range, the TC gives no benefit to missiles

#11 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 21 December 2015 - 10:12 AM

On my clan mechs, I try to find space/weight for a TC1, but generally speaking if I have some weight/space left over beyond that, I'll be looking to add some more armour, some more ammo, or (most frequently) additional heatsinks.

#12 xPlatzda

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:33 AM

Hi, i have a gerneral noob Question. I dont get it, why i don't see the benefits in range when i check the Tooltip on my C-ER-LRG Lasers? And Advanced Zoom is the same with TC Mk.7 as without… do i overlook something?

#13 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 06:40 AM

The tooltip doesn't update with it. You'll have to drop into the testing grounds to see the real range.

#14 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 16 June 2020 - 10:08 PM

View PostxPlatzda, on 16 June 2020 - 06:33 AM, said:

Hi, i have a gerneral noob Question. I dont get it, why i don't see the benefits in range when i check the Tooltip on my C-ER-LRG Lasers? And Advanced Zoom is the same with TC Mk.7 as without… do i overlook something?

The reason given (sometime way back) on why the tooltip doesn't show the range increase, etc. gained from a targeting computer was that entering the area of effect of an enemy ECM will disable the bonuses received from a TC.

Well, I, for one, didn't know ECM affects targeting computers as well.

#15 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 02:58 AM

wrong. TCs are not affected by enemy ECM. The reason was that its bonuses are only applied as long as the TC is not destroyed.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users