Gameplay Skills Weapons

551 replies to this topic

#1 Extremist Pain

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 25 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:31 PM

MechWarrior is a team game. Im not sure where this belief that supporting your team is too much. For example, i was just asking for locks in a game and i was told to get my own locks. Im sorry if asking for a contribution is too much, but if you dont feel like being a member of the team, dont play a team based game. You think you can win this game without my help, go ahead and try. Ill enjoy watching you fail.

#2 Edustaja

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

Asking for locks implies that you're just going to sit back at 1k and lob missiles at walls.
Active lrm usage usually requires for you to stay with the group and close to the targets to get positive hits.

#3 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

View PostEdustaja, on 26 December 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

Asking for locks implies that you're just going to sit back at 1k and lob missiles at walls.
Active lrm usage usually requires for you to stay with the group and close to the targets to get positive hits.

This...don't be lazy. Plus, LRMs are really a misnomer in this game. You really shouldn't be using them from 900m out.

#4 ColdPsyker1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 243 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

Getting your own locks is usually a sign of a good LRM boat

Asking others to get locks for you usually implies the user is a bad LRM boat; so you will find most people unsympathetic

#5 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 December 2015 - 03:35 PM, said:

This...don't be lazy. Plus, LRMs are really a misnomer in this game. You really shouldn't be using them from 900m out.

I rarely use them beyond 400-500m, any further and they end up hitting cover or I lose the lock before they hit.

#6 Alienized

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:39 PM

your part as team is not only to share damage dealt but also damage taken.
it has no use to die as last man at nearly 100% when getting attacked while you could have taken some damage for your teammates to survive longer.
if you are the last of your team you will most likely die as lrm mech anyway.

#7 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:41 PM

View PostCelticCross, on 26 December 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

I rarely use them beyond 400-500m, any further and they end up hitting cover or I lose the lock before they hit.

Yeah...my sweet spot is usually between 250-400m, though it's nice to back up and be further out sometimes to arc over obstructions or friendly mechs.

#8 Nostromodamus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 183 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:44 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 December 2015 - 03:41 PM, said:

Yeah...my sweet spot is usually between 250-400m, though it's nice to back up and be further out sometimes to arc over obstructions or friendly mechs.

Around 300m you start getting the higher trajectory, anything less and the flight path is lower, so I tend to not fire as much toward the lower end of the range band OR the higher end.

Apart from a couple of mechs (Catapult and Mad Dog), I only use LRM as a tertiary weapon system anyway, good for firing as me or my targets duck behind a hill or if my teammates are in the line of fire.

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:46 PM

Don't ask for locks just tell people what mech your running. It goes over much better. Lrm 60 maddog here, lrm 30 kto18 here

Edited by Monkey Lover, 26 December 2015 - 03:52 PM.

#10 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

View PostEdustaja, on 26 December 2015 - 03:33 PM, said:

No, it really does not. And I'm tired of LRM haters hiding behind such lies.

It's gotten ridiculous. Last week on Terra Therma I had a team mate tell everyone "do NOT hold locks, that LRM stalker is just farming cheap damage". I had not asked for any locks (I have never asked anyone for locks since I've been here) and I still caught the hate. And I had been up in the front tanking damage. The only reason I moved to the back was because my team got stupid and was crowding the door instead of going in or falling back to form a cup. This is the mentality LRM boaters have to deal with.

And I have NEVER asked for locks. Yes, I'm repeating this, because some of you can't comprehend what you read.

Also as a light scout, I WANT you to remind me to hold locks for you. It tells me we have LRMs and, if I think we have enough to warrant it, I will change my scouting technique to take advantage of the indirect fire.

People don't bash LRMs because they are ineffective, they bash them because they hate getting hit by indirect fire. What they are trying to do is shame people into not bringing LRM boats so they no longer have to deal with them. Such cowards.

#11 5LeafClover

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 317 posts

Try substituting "locks plz" with "LRM45 here" (etc). This simple change often results in others declaring their lrm tube counts and sometimes even offers of NARCing or scouting.

Given pugs is a randomly grouped team, i do wonder why we dont spend that wasted 1st minute of the game working out the team's assets.

When brawler McAlphaMech realises the whole team is not full of other brawlers, he's not so quick to order a push and then berate the poor Lrm boats that pushed with their pair of MLs.

#12 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,080 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 03:54 PM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 26 December 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

No, it really does not. And I'm tired of LRM haters hiding behind such lies.

It's gotten ridiculous. Last week on Terra Therma I had a team mate tell everyone "do NOT hold locks, that LRM stalker is just farming cheap damage". I had not asked for any locks (I have never asked anyone for locks since I've been here) and I still caught the hate. And I had been up in the front tanking damage. The only reason I moved to the back was because my team got stupid and was crowding the door instead of going in or falling back to form a cup. This is the mentality LRM boaters have to deal with.

And I have NEVER asked for locks. Yes, I'm repeating this, because some of you can't comprehend what you read.

Also as a light scout, I WANT you to remind me to hold locks for you. It tells me we have LRMs and, if I think we have enough to warrant it, I will change my scouting technique to take advantage of the indirect fire.

People don't bash LRMs because they are ineffective, they bash them because they hate getting hit by indirect fire. What they are trying to do is shame people into not bringing LRM boats so they no longer have to deal with them. Such cowards.

People should be locking regardless of what weapons the team brought. If you brought your own TAG and were getting your own locks, you wouldn't need to remind anyone to lock targets.

#13 Mad Strike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLima , Peru

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:07 PM

Just get your own locks pal TAG and BAP ; TAG and BAP.

Others are too bussy fighting face to face so they need to keep switching targets.

Edited by strikebrch, 26 December 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#14 DiGCliff

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 107 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

Not every lurm boat has energy hardpoints. Such as the catapult c1 I believe has only six ml hard points and nothing else

#15 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:11 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 26 December 2015 - 03:54 PM, said:

If you brought your own TAG and were getting your own locks, you wouldn't need to remind anyone to lock targets.

Just get your own locks pal TAG and BAP

I get my own locks. My LRM boat carries BAP, Tag, Adv Target Decay and 4 med lasers as backup.

I get in close because LRMs are more effective at short range. And I tank damage for my team.

And I have never asked for locks.

Still had to deal with an LRM-hater telling my team to deliberately drop locks to grief me.

The LRM hate has gotten really stupid.

Edited by Fen Tetsudo, 26 December 2015 - 04:15 PM.

#16 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:13 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 26 December 2015 - 03:46 PM, said:

Don't ask for locks just tell people what mech your running. It goes over much better. Lrm 60 maddog here, lrm 30 kto18 here

I like this way. It is important to remind people so it becomes habit for pilots to target. It helps all mechs, not just for the LRM support, but so you can get the wireframe readout of damage and weapons on mechs.

#17 Ezekeel666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:25 PM

View PostExtremist Pain, on 26 December 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

MechWarrior is a team game. Im not sure where this belief that supporting your team is too much. For example, i was just asking for locks in a game and i was told to get my own locks. Im sorry if asking for a contribution is too much, but if you dont feel like being a member of the team, dont play a team based game. You think you can win this game without my help, go ahead and try. Ill enjoy watching you fail.

Everytime I heard someone begging for locks it ended up with him standing at the maximum possible range safely hidden behind cover, shooting LRM randomly at every target that popped up resulting in most of the missiles hitting some obstacles. So far everytime 'lock pls' turned out to be short for 'I am gonna be an ineffective dead weight for the team expecting to be carried and having my team make the dirty work for me.'

Move with your team and you cannot only get your own locks but also far better judge which targets to prioritize since you directly see which are in the open.

#18 AnimeFreak40K

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 455 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationSomewhere between the State of Confusion and the State of Insanity.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

View PostDiGCliff, on 26 December 2015 - 04:11 PM, said:

Not every lurm boat has energy hardpoints. Such as the catapult c1 I believe has only six ml hard points and nothing else

You're thinking of the Catapult A1, and while it is not the only mech that lacks energy hardpoints, it is the best example of this.

To be clear, I love my some LRM boats and I try to bring a TAG and get my own locks when I can. Also, if I'm bringing an LRM boat, I usually let folks know so they can act/react accordingly, but I never hesitate to get my own locks, and if I'm in a non-LRM mech, I also try to keep and hold locks on what I'm shooting at in the off-chance that I have teammates that have LRMs as well.

That said, some (but *NOT* all) will, in fact, be lazy and just sit back and use the "Easy Button" just like some (but not all) people purposefully not hold locks out out sheer spite for LRMs as a general thing.

#19 Navid A1

• CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 4,931 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:36 PM

If you want to be considered an LRM boat, you need TAG (and optional BAP) and you need to be closer than 500m to your targets. You should be able to maintain locks with your TAG in strafing runs by the enemy and use Target decay module to its best, when you get behind cover again.

First thing wannabe LRM boats should understand is that holding locks means that your team should leave cover and constantly face the target. It is NEVER gonna happen. If your team possess half a brain they should not do what you ask... otherwise they will be killed.
Instead of that, ask your team to provide UAVs if they have them. it has more advantage, it is safe and everyone benefits from those.

#20 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 26 December 2015 - 04:41 PM

View PostExtremist Pain, on 26 December 2015 - 03:31 PM, said:

I'm a light pilot so if I manage to get around behind them unseen and can hold a lock I'll do so. I'll also call out that X is locked and will stay that way. I'll also scream SCARY! or OH FRACKING HELL! once someone inevitably notices me. Otherwise, I'll lock whatever I'm fighting, or drop a UAV, but if the match is still in peekaboo phase I'm not gonna stand out in the open and get shot to hell so an LRM boat can do a bit of damage.

Now I'm not saying that you're necessarily one of those Lurmboat pilots who likes to sit at max range and ineffectually shoot lrms at buildings and rocks. But "locks please" tends to indicate that to most players. You should try something like, "I have LRMs so if you lock your current target I'll back you up as best I can."

Remember, it's not always what you say but how you say it that determines whether people will accommodate you or not.

Edited by Narcissistic Martyr, 26 December 2015 - 04:41 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users