Best Heavy Mech

49 replies to this topic

#1 boryssobieski

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

Hi everyone! :)

I'm new guy in MWO. I'm already after 25 games and i have 19 millions blue coins. I like to play heavy mech at close-mid range. I dont like missles. I like to mix Ballistic and Energy weapon. Would be nice if my mech survive a lot of damage :P Please help me to pick one:) I dont want to waste my money on something bad ;)

Thank you and sorry for my english.

#2 Zeoraimer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:02 PM

Don't pick Orion. Massive hitboxes easily hit, low mounted energy and not enough energy hard points.

I spent my cadet bonus on it, and endured 4 months trying earning my way out through different configs (like an expensive 5 million XL engines) - all the while having limited time to play, and having low earnings due to configs that didnt work...

I then bought an Oxide (with MC) and sold the Orion. I finally learnt how to play properly. It took me 12 months and levelling 8 chassis to master to get back to a 1:1 k/d... (I dont have enough time to play my favourite mastered chassis :( )

From personal experience: Grasshopper if you are good at torso twisting - that thing is so thin, when you turn 90 degrees your top half practically vanishes... For Clan, I used Hellbringers - that was the easiest chassis to master for me.

#3 Hexenhammer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,729 posts
  • LocationKAETETôã

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:18 PM

Thunderbolts with all medium pulse lasers works as brawler but its a meta build and some people might not like it.

The Cataphract might be an option but it has low weapon points and the Marauder might be a better option when it comes out.

#4 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:25 PM

You should decide whether to start as innersphere or clans, this will determine which side you are on in faction play, as well as which mechs to look at.

Make sure you understand how the clan omnipod system works compared to the usual battlemechs.

I recommend looking at Timberwolf, Ebon Jaguar, Thunderbolt and Marauders, see what you can put on each of them. http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

Marauders are real money only for the moment, will be available for "blue coins" soon.

#5 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 03 January 2016 - 02:28 PM

Ebon Jaguar is a very solid mech and id recommend it also

#6 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 03 January 2016 - 04:46 PM

Top picks right now?

Clan: Timber Wolf
IS: Thunderbolt (-9SE for mid-range, -5SS for close-up)

Some other worthy mechs:

Clan:
Hellbringer. ECM, good hard points for laser vomit and/or dakka
Ebon Jaguar. Great hard points and loadout options, can boat just about anything

IS:
Catapult. One variant each for ballistics and energy weapons (the latter with jump jets), not BAD.
Jagermech. Big and squishy in the torsos, but can boat B, E, or M weapons. Offensive power.
Marauder. Not BAD. Can boat. So-so quirks. It'll work.

That's about it.

#7 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 05:57 PM

Jagermech and Thunderbolts turned out to be my faves. Fast, hard hitting, and in the case of Thunderbolts very tanky. Cataphracts are fine but the low slung weapons were a problem and they are slow. Thunderbolt with a standard engine can still fit all its weapons and go 80kph or so. That lets them sacrifice a whole side and keep fighting. My JM6-A has a STD-300 engine and my DD has an XL-300, allowing them the same speed.

Those can all be had for c-bills. The Marauders were definitely worth the money, but will eventually be available for cbills if you are light on cash. They are incredibly versatile, nimble, and fast, with jump jets on everything but the 3R variant. My 3R has 3AC/5s and STD320, the rest have max engine. That makes them pretty fast. Lots of ways to build these though.

#8 Princeps Ibram Cain

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:10 AM

The Marauder pack is, in my opinion, the best MC purchase i made in this two years.

#9 Soviet Alex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 626 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 04:16 AM

Catapult has an energy + ballistic variant (K2). I'm experimenting with an AC20-based loadout at the mo. But if you don't like missile spamming, mastering the other variants would be very grindy. Although they are very efficient for farming credits & kill-assists.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:49 AM

I know you said heavy but look at the Hunchback, a 50 ton Medium Mech, it has shoulder mounted Balistics with lasers on 3 varients (4G, 4H, GI), as well as 2 missile with laser variants (4J and 4SP) and 1 pure laser variant (4P).

the Hunchback also has the advantage of being cheep to outfit, most have a reasonable stock weapons load out but are slow, you will need to spend 2 million on upgrades, Double Heat Sinks and Endo Steel, that will give you enough tonnage to purchase a larger engine, I recommend the standard 250, which costs 1.5 million (and has you going the same speed as the Clan Heavy Mechs), you can then swap that engine between any Hunchback variant, meaning your 19 million should be enough to buy and oufit 3 Hunchbacks.

as the name suggests most variants have a large hunch, this forms the right shoulder, you should quickly learn to protect it as it contains the bulk of your weapons, learning on the Hunchback means you should know how to spread damage before coming on to the more advanced Mechs.
once you have learned to shield your Hunch the hunchback becomes really durable, able to outlast some Mechs 20 tonnes heavier.

other options include:
the Shadow Hawk, 55 tons, it is less durable and agile than the Hunchback but can be faster and carry more weapons, however to do this will require an XL 300 engine, costing about 5 million, most varients have a mix of all 3 weapon types.

the Centurion, another 50 ton Mech, can risk taking an XL engine for increased speed and weapons payload at the cost or reduced durability and higher price, most varients have a mix of all 3 weapon types.

the Jagermech, 65 tons, there are 2 ways to go with this Mech, low firepower but highly durable, you can mount more firepower if you down engine it but that makes you too slow. or XL engine, making the Mech rather fragile but able to mount a lot more weapons. 1 variant has missiles, all have a combination of energy and ballistics.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 04 January 2016 - 05:57 AM.

#11 Legion173

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:23 AM

Posted Image

couldn't help myself....lol

#12 Ximigami

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 04 January 2016 - 12:32 PM

Jagermech with ACs. In one of my matches,my teammates are losing,we are 9-11,there is one Jagermech teammate left. But man...i congratule him. He killed 3 guys in seconds with the ACs. I need to say that enemyes are injured on CT. But we winned the match. Jagermech dangerous!!!

But at the end,is ur choice. We can say a lot of things about our favorite mechs,but if u select a mech by an opinion of other,then u going to worry the game. Try trial mechs,select one that have that u dont want to play,and maybe u surprise urself because that mech that u dont like it,at the end is more working than the mech u have in mind. Also,if u are new,dont expect to kill much,first u must know all weapons,what they does. Later u must try various mechs. As for me,at my starts,i always liked medium or heavy mechs,but one time ive tryed the Raven 3L(C) trial mech and ended the match with 400 points and 5 kills,that trying heavyes,doesnt occurs me never. After that,i love playing lights. And finishing u must know 3 things,aim,control of ur mech and positioning,if u control those 3 things u have better chances to do "anything good" also u must know how are the maps,dont expect to do much things if u have small lasers on Alpine peaks where lrm mechs are the bosses. Either dont try to do much things on maps that have mountains or buildings if u have lrms,because enemyes take cover.

U must know at what excels ur mech,with the actual loadout and exploit it. Also i always loved a mix of machineguns and lasers,because lasers have infinite ammo and machineguns destroy internals like demons. For example,i have different accounts,on one of those accounts i builded a Nova S with 4 small pulse lasers and 4 machineguns. Dunno how,but on a match i killed an Adder and an Ebon Jaguar me solo,critically injured while they are 100% with armor. Maybe they are noobs,but the Nova S is a good close quarters mech. I know it and i winned, Also,never,never put urself in a frontal attack versus an assault mech,specially if they are the HOLY King Crabs. I die mostly times versus that mech. Seriously,on every match i do,there is this mech present.

And well,dont dissapoint urself if u dont kill much at starts,u dont going to do much things,because u dont know how to position ur mech,aim or control ur mech. Maybe if u are using a trial assault mech and u are helped by experimented teammates,u can do anything.

**: Im tired of do matches today,so i write on forums :D:D:D:D:D:D

Edited by Ximigami, 04 January 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#13 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 04 January 2016 - 01:12 PM

View PostSoviet Alex, on 04 January 2016 - 04:16 AM, said:

Catapult has an energy + ballistic variant (K2). I'm experimenting with an AC20-based loadout at the mo. But if you don't like missile spamming, mastering the other variants would be very grindy. Although they are very efficient for farming credits & kill-assists.

The BoomCat is a classic. 2-3 years ago, that thing was TERRIFYING. Also, the GaussCat. We're lucky the K2 never had Jump Jets, or it would have entered the Clan era with a reputation as the most OP IS heavy. Its current quirks are helpful with the ballistic builds, and for PPCs too if you like.

SplatCat (CPLT-A1 with all SRMs) and StreakCat (CPLT-A1 with 6x SSRM-2, BAP, and biggest engine it'd carry) were also ridiculously powerful in their time.

And the JESTER is one of the hero mechs that's actually GOOD. That thing does laser vomit as well as the Clan 65-tonners, with the JJs that neither of them has, roughly equivalent speed, and dual AMS for the recent wave of Clanner LRM-spam. And it looks good doing it.

Yeah, Catapult is a solid IS heavy mech chassis, and it's been around from the beginning.

#14 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 04 January 2016 - 07:58 PM

Ebon Jaguar.

#15 Rhavin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 356 posts
  • LocationThe Dropship Texas, FRR

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:19 PM

20 bucks gets 3 mauraders, hard to beat that deal, instant gratification in one of the best mechs the innersphere can field. Stock loadouts are not to bad either. 20 will also grab you 3 Warhammer chassis but they are not released till the 19th. Not much is known about them at this point other than they look cool, and they have a great range of potential loadouts. If you just want to spend your in game cash follow this advice. PLAY every Champion (C) mech in multiple matchs before you buy. Make sure your great performances are not a fluke by playing each mech 3 or 4 matches at least. also keep in mind a terrible match happens sometimes as well. You won't loose the exp gained if you decide to purchase the variant it's derived from, and it's free, this will sAve you the heartache of buying something you end up disapointed in. I personally avoid LRM heavy mechs and advise anyone to do the same, so the catapult champion mech plays totally different from the K2 and Jester catapults. Other champion mechs are pretty solid as far as "this chassis does this".

#16 boryssobieski

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 12:55 AM

Thx everyone for your respond. This game is pure fun :) I love Mech games (armored core, chromehounds) and this one is very well made.

I think i get Thundderbolt. I play last few games with Trial version and it was fun:)

Hunchback was also nice to play but feells litlebit to weak for me. But definetly i will get him later.

PS. Sorry for my english

#17 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 05 January 2016 - 03:08 AM

Try out the Timberwolf trial and the Thunderbolt trial. See if you like any of those two.

#18 boryssobieski

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:25 AM

I did try Timberwolf and I really like this mech and it was my first pick but the prize is very high for him. I don't have time for grinding cbills unfortunately :( but I want to master at least one chassis. For 19 millions I can buy 3 Thunderbolts and I think this is what I'm gonna do.

#19 Joey Tankblaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 04:56 AM

If you plan to play CW as well I would highly suggest to buy the standard pack of Marauders. If you don't want to spend money but rather C-Bills take those Thunderbolts.

Edited by Joey Tankblaster, 05 January 2016 - 04:57 AM.

#20 Lupis Volk

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 05 January 2016 - 05:00 AM

Got $20USD? I'd recommend the Marauder. As one of my unit mates says "there's no such thing as a bad Marauder"
They are a solid heavy and for a extra $15USD you get a Marauder that can have 4 Large pulse lasers with a 30% Cbill boost.

Edited by Lupis Volk, 05 January 2016 - 05:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users