Ammo Queue Screen & Mechlab Testing Grounds Button

6 replies to this topic

#1 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 12:48 PM

After hours of looking around a lot of forums and guides, it seems unclear as to how ammo depletion is ordered in MWO.

Many sources link back to a player-made forum guide that stated it was by component; Head > CT > RT > LT .. etc. This guide, however, did not provide any source for it's statement.
Furthermore, I have seen other contradictory forum posts saying that it is as per the order in which the ammo is added, and even other posts saying that it is "somewhat random".

My first suggestion is as follows:
PROVIDE A SCREEN UNDER THE MECHLAB TAB THAT ENABLES THE PLAYER TO MANUALLY ORDER EACH SLOT OF AMMO

This would not only remove the doubt about ammo depletion among the community, but it would also be a great feature that allows players to fine-tune their mechs for early/mid/late match strategy.
(For example, that early-game "ammo arm" becomes a shield arm late-game. Also, a player might want to expend their arm ammo early, to rely on their torso C.A.S.E. ammo late-game.)

To give an idea of what I'm suggesting:

Posted Image

1. Ammo to be ordered with a numerical indicator on each slot of ammo.
2. Non-ammo equipment to be greyed out, but still visible. This is important for clarity, but also to see where the related weapons are located.
3. Components protected by a C.A.S.E. to have a blue outline, for clarity.

Additional suggestion, as shown in above screenshot:
PROVIDE A "TESTING GROUNDS" BUTTON TO ENABLE THE PLAYER TO TEST THEIR BUILD BEFORE PURCHASE

PGI, people are much happier to spend their money on something that they can try before they buy.
Just imagine how powerful this would be! You already make a good effort to showcase new "MC-Only" mechs, but people are reluctant to 'gamble' their MC on something they can't test drive first. I guarantee you, from a business perspective "try before you buy" is always a very good thing.

Important side-note:
I've been very frustrated when I'm trying out new builds in the Mechlab, and I can't proceed because I don't have the C-Bills to purchase an upgrade. Being able to fully compose a build in the Mechlab enables the player to see if they can 'fit' the desired equipment.

Therefore, my third suggestion in this post:
ALLOW THE PLAYER TO SWITCH UPGRADES ON/OFF FREELY, ONLY LIMITING THEIR ABILITY TO "SAVE" IF THEY DO NOT HAVE ENOUGH C-BILLS
(The same way that a player is limited when fitting an expensive engine, for example).

Please no more of the red boxes in the Upgrades window!
Posted Image

Thanks for reading. PGI, if you see this, please comment!

Edited by Generic Internetter, 08 January 2016 - 12:51 PM.

#2 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 January 2016 - 06:20 PM

Anybody seen any concrete statement from PGI on ammo depletion?
They might have already resolved this and just not told us...?

#3 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 01:37 PM

Shameless bump, because I'm still seeing other people re-make this request.

#4 Madrummer

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 63 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

So, I loaded a little Spider with 4 machineguns and a half-ton of MG Ammo (1k rounds) in each component with the load order of LA > RA > RL > LL > LT > CT > HD > RT. It's a non-random but patternless order which helps me to identify if ammo is loaded in randomly or specifically by giving me a constant order to check against that isn't going to overlap any common theories of load orders. In that load order, I substitute one ton of ammo with one 1/2 ton block (1k rounds). I place it in accordance with my guess on what a component's position in the depletion draw order is. It's a simple process, but drawn out, and every now and then I check against false guesses to make sure I can predict where I'm wrong, too.

To start, I take a guess as to the placement in the rotation that a specific part might have, firing until I have depleted the ammo that would theoretically be used to empty component bays through to and including the one housing 1 ton of ammo, and then I am destroying it and evaluating ammo loss to determine its place in the depletion draw order. If the remaining ammo is greater than the ammo I hypothesize will remain, then the component bay with the 1 ton block of ammo is further up in the draw order than I theorized. I'll test the same block twice each time until I am sufficiently convinced that there is either a specific draw order, or that it is indeed random. The opposite can be tested by inverting the 1 ton and 1/2 ton ammo blocks, and testing for different findings. This is a way you can "zero-in" on the ammo depletion zones if you really, really want to spend the time on it.

For example, if I hypothesized that RT was 4th in the draw order, I could test this by placing the 1 ton block of ammo in RT and firing 4000 rounds (1k for each of first 3 component bays assumed to be prior to the one with the 1 ton block, and then 1k as half of what is assumed to be the RT), and then have the RT destroyed at the Academy's Gauntlet. If after the 4k rounds have been fired and the RT component has been destroyed there are 5k rounds, then the RT is closer to the front in the draw order than 4th place. If there are 4k rounds left as expected, then the test shows that the RT is indeed set in the 4th position in the depletion cycle's draw order. After the first set of results are found, the test will be repeated, and if different results are found, then testing for random chance will be done. However, if similar results are found, then the number of rounds fired during the next test will be adjusted until the component's exact position is determined.

Testing the above example leaves you with 5k rounds, and testing it firing 3k rounds (3rd position) also leaves you with 5k rounds, marking it as 3rd in the draw order. Testing for RA then at 4th with 4k rounds fired and the component destroyed left me with 3k, meaning it was further on in the draw order. Testing at 5th revealed a result indicating it was a correct match. This was repeated for all other components apart from the Head and Center Torso, which both fit within the top 2 to be drawn.

Final compiled results show that the order is indeed HD/CT > RT > LT > RA > LA > RL > LL. There ya go.

However, YES I LOVE THIS IDEA. I do think you have some great ideas up there and they would be nice to see implemented.

#5 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 12:27 PM

View PostMadrummer, on 20 January 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

[Massive wall of text detailing scientific experimentation]

Final compiled results show that the order is indeed HD/CT > RT > LT > RA > LA > RL > LL. There ya go.

However, YES I LOVE THIS IDEA. I do think you have some great ideas up there and they would be nice to see implemented.

First of all, it's good to at least have an idea of where the ammo is getting used. It's a shame we can't configure it ourselves (yet?).

Also, thanks and your linked idea in your signature is brilliant. Maybe ask a forum moderator to move it to the suggestion page, and then add a poll? I'd vote "yes".

Edited by Generic Internetter, 20 January 2016 - 12:28 PM.

#6 Generic Internetter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

BUMP

#7 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

That is not a bump, that is a necromancy spell...

btw, ammo consumption goes like this.

CT>LT>RT>LA>RA>LL>RL>HD

left before right

CT before ST

ST before ARMS

ARMS before LEGS

HEAD always last

Bonusround: Even if your last bit of ammo blows up, you still get one singe shot out of it. Because the system does not actually checks your ammunition count after the explosion but the moment you try to fire it. Mind you, not one burst but one shot (that means one single shell).

Edited by Toha Heavy Industries, 25 March 2017 - 10:43 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users