Std Brawlers

48 replies to this topic

#1 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 13 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

so standard engine is better for brawling..

anyone have any good Shadow hawk Builds using a standard engine?

#2 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts
  • LocationUnder a hail of LRM fire.

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:03 AM

I don't know if it is still wise to brawl with a shawk, they got alot squishier with the new updates imo. I remember being able to take more damage when i bought it first. (Late 2014 <.<)

#3 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:20 AM

View PostCD0UG, on 13 January 2016 - 04:34 PM, said:

It's really a give and take between the Standard and XL Engine.... If you can twist well to spread damage than a large XL engine can really make a Shadow Hawk shine.

The Standard on the other hand will make you more tanky, but slower to run and twist, as the ening determines how fast you can do both.

#4 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:02 AM

A while back (maybe a year ago or more) I've made it my personal challenge to get the most viable STD engine builds for the Shawks.

Right now I've got around 10-15 builds on bookmarks on my computer at home (because something like saving loadouts is lostech).

Between them I have to say only 3-6 are actually good for brawling, but being the Shawk a lot less armored than its heavy counterparts, you have to make it a priority to get close to the enemy with the least amount of ranged damage as possible.

Now, since the SRM hitreg isn't all that good, I've stopped using them and can't really say which would be better for playing the game at the moment.

From the top of my head I just made a few examples... use them as you like, change them, try them.

2D

2D2

2H

5M

All of them can be tweaked and changed, ammo moved around and various other options.

Give them a try, not the best of the best, but what I managed to do in a few minutes from what I recall.

#5 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:12 AM

Thanks a lot guys appreciate all the help! And other good recommendations for medium brawlers I kinda like ballistics

#6 mogs01gt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

Like someone else said, Shawks arent really meant to brawl and not having any long range weapons will hurt you in the current play style of MWO. The problem you'll run into is lack of speed. Speed is key in MWO, especially for Mediums.

SHD-2D2

Edited by mogs01gt, 14 January 2016 - 07:37 AM.

#7 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

View PostCD0UG, on 14 January 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

Thanks a lot guys appreciate all the help! And other good recommendations for medium brawlers I kinda like ballistics

You an never go wrong with a Hunchback for a standard engine brawler, the 4G is arguably one of the best knife fighters out there... If I had one, I'd run her like this:

HBK-4G

Another good option is the Centurion family, the CN9-A, CN9-AH and with an engine swap the CN9-D are all decent ballistic standard engine brawlers.

#8 Hell ya

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:05 AM

I prefer for a nice brawl a stalker Misery or 3F. In my opinion they r made for STDs engines kann carry a good loadout of mls,mpls, lls and lps. The Misery has a ballistic slot for a good punch between the laser salvos and there is enough space for srm to collect some dmg-points!
The downside is only the speed of max-out around 65 km/h.

Right now i have
3D-F
STD 300
2lpls
4 mls
2 srm6

Misery
STD 310
3lls
1 AC 20

#9 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:17 AM

I'm really thinking to just play my other new account. I can do well on my 5M with UAC5/2xLRM5+2MPLS. Ranging from min. 270 to max 500damg. Mostly 350. Wich is decent i guess for a medium. But the mech feels terribly weak and if nothing changes i'll probaly end up selling them <.<.

#10 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 14 January 2016 - 11:17 AM, said:

I'm really thinking to just play my other new account. I can do well on my 5M with UAC5/2xLRM5+2MPLS. Ranging from min. 270 to max 500damg. Mostly 350. Wich is decent i guess for a medium. But the mech feels terribly weak and if nothing changes i'll probaly end up selling them <.<.

Honest question, are you a new player? 55t mechs dont really have the tonnage for dual ballistics, plus using 2xac5's would free up 2tons.

I prefer medium mechs to have the least amount of face time possible. With uac5's or ac5's, you have to keep your torso pointed towards your enemy longer than say using a ac10 or ac20.

Here is how I used to run my 5m.
SHD-5M using ac10
SHD-5M using ac20

Edited by mogs01gt, 14 January 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#11 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:18 PM

no i'm not new, i got about 100 hours, got a good k/d ratio 1.4 i believe , just some things im still hazey about, and i like going against the flow of things lol

i currently have the grey death, and 2d2 elite skills, and eveyrthing upgraded, is the 5m a better choice?

i cant stand going super slow either, like under 80 not a good idea for medium imo

#12 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:42 PM

View PostCD0UG, on 14 January 2016 - 12:18 PM, said:

no i'm not new, i got about 100 hours, got a good k/d ratio 1.4 i believe , just some things im still hazey about, and i like going against the flow of things lol
i currently have the grey death, and 2d2 elite skills, and eveyrthing upgraded, is the 5m a better choice?
i cant stand going super slow either, like under 80 not a good idea for medium imo

IMO the Grey Death is the best Shawk. No the 5m is not the best choice, pretty sure people feel the 2d2 is better.
Here is how I run mine.
GRAY DEATH

Edited by mogs01gt, 14 January 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#13 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 01:43 PM

IMO the Grey Death is the best Shawk. No the 5m is not the best choice, pretty sure people feel the 2d2 is better.
Here is how I run mine:

Ah 4 medium lasers instead.of arm eh, how du play that tho looks like stay back more instead of brawl? Or?

View Postmogs01gt, on 14 January 2016 - 12:42 PM, said:

Here is how I run mine.
GRAY DEATH

Woops diet know how to do that properly!

#14 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:26 PM

Well Shadow Hawks are more about direct fire support, rather than knife fighting.

#15 CD0UG

• PipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 91 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:45 PM

so what do u recommend for knife fighting instead of hunchbacks metus?

#16 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 14 January 2016 - 09:41 PM

Well, usually better - but if you know what you're doing (and how to spread damage,) an XL is viable in certain 'mechs.
Consider This for your Shadowhawk build. It Does OK. You'll note that this 'mech isn't a pure knife-fighter, but it has excellent burst at close-range to back up the amazing poke of that quirked AC/10 (which wasn't so quirked at the time of the pic I linked.) This is because focusing on knife-fight sustained brawling is a dicey proposition for a Medium; they're just too fragile on their own, and getting in close and staying there often requires you to expose yourself to enemies who will often prioritize you as an easy kill. Instead, I went for a support brawler setup with good burst brawling damage and excellent poke support.

Compared to a Hyper-Focused Laser Hunchback brawler, this build has more endurance, more range, better dps for brawling, and jump jets - at the cost of a little speed (and of course the hunch durability) even after factoring in the quirks. To use this 'mech to its fullest, you have to pay careful attention to positioning and engage alongside teammates. You can win one-on-one contests with most 'mechs, but these tend to be Pyrrhic victories because of the amount of armor they cost you. In any event, a good match will see you hammering the enemy with that high-mounted autocannon alongside your Heavy and Assault teammates, and closing to brawl with any enemies that go after your bigs.

#17 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 10:02 PM

View PostCD0UG, on 14 January 2016 - 08:45 PM, said:

so what do u recommend for knife fighting instead of hunchbacks metus?

Centurions, but they are generally a little more well rounded, more XL Engine friendly, than the Hunchback line, nd barring the CN9-YLW or CN9-AH lack the ability to bring an AC/20 to the knife fight. How ever that trade off is made by making the ballistic slot arm mounted giving you greater range of motion with it.

That being said the Hunchback are more tanky than Centurions, and have high mounted main guns.

#18 DoubleFlip

• PipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 87 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:43 AM

View Postmogs01gt, on 14 January 2016 - 12:06 PM, said:

Honest question, are you a new player? 55t mechs dont really have the tonnage for dual ballistics, plus using 2xac5's would free up 2tons.

I prefer medium mechs to have the least amount of face time possible. With uac5's or ac5's, you have to keep your torso pointed towards your enemy longer than say using a ac10 or ac20.

Here is how I used to run my 5m.
SHD-5M using ac10
SHD-5M using ac20

No i'm not new, just came back to mwo to see my Shawks nerfed :l. I've actually ran a Dual AC5 + 2ML on the 5M, Didn't work for me. Too much exposure time and you rely on your ac5's for main damage. So if they get destroyed, you get left with 2 measly lasers. I like UAC5+2x LRM5 + 2 MPLS alot better, effective at all ranges. If only the uac5 woulnd't jam as much and the SDH wasn't made out of butter <.<

Edited by DoubleFlip, 15 January 2016 - 02:43 AM.

#19 Mercarryn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 289 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 15 January 2016 - 03:04 AM

For brawling with a std-engine you should perhaps consider the Trebuchet 5J

TBT-5J

The Quirks help really well with the 5 medium lasers, the A-SRM6 is for some extra punch.
I used to run this build for a while on the 5J until I switched to an XL-engine for large lasers.

Anonther option could be the Trebuchet 7K

TBT-7K

I have adapted my config to a std-engine. That results in less firepower ofc, but it should still do its job. Or just run the 7K with an AC20 + 2 medium lasers.

#20 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,575 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:56 AM

View PostDoubleFlip, on 15 January 2016 - 02:43 AM, said:

No i'm not new, just came back to mwo to see my Shawks nerfed :l. I've actually ran a Dual AC5 + 2ML on the 5M, Didn't work for me. Too much exposure time and you rely on your ac5's for main damage. So if they get destroyed, you get left with 2 measly lasers. I like UAC5+2x LRM5 + 2 MPLS alot better, effective at all ranges. If only the uac5 woulnd't jam as much and the SDH wasn't made out of butter <.<

Nerfed? Since when? Here, check the quirk list. It only seems to be made out of butter to you because you are using stare-down weapons in a Medium chassis - you can do it, but it requires you to position yourself so that you're not getting shot at in the first place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users