6 replies to this topic

#1 Female Body Inspector

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 January 2016 - 04:54 AM

I hate reposting/double posting but I felt this post by me deserved it's own thread. I hope people will ignore the fact I have a very low post count, this is because I usually don't post at all on any game forum. The only reason I'm posting now is because of the imbalance that's rife in this game and the constant complaining on both sides of the fence.

I've played both sides and the 'quirk monsters' are OP regardless what people say but remove the quirks and the same can be said of the Clan mechs.

View PostRaelM, on 09 January 2016 - 06:34 PM, said:

If you want to properly balance MWO then the quirk system for the most part needs to go. Then you balance the Mechs, Weapons and Equipment.

I actually did all this for PGI and sent them a nice spreadhseet with my proposed changes and additions (I was so nice I added missing weapons and proposed removing ones that never existed aka. Clan Standard AC's).

https://drive.google...QcJVaUIWCsAVfKM

You'll notice that the Clans do have a range advantage, it's canon deal with it. I however made it so it's not like an X-5 vs any Targeting Computer 1-7 Clan mech were the unfortunate Clanner has to deal with an optimal range disadvantage of 100-200+ meters. I also proposed changes to make the IS capable of handling the short 60m range difference on ERLL and the longer albeit less effective range on the LB 2-X AC. You'll notice that the IS has counters to the Clan range with their own long range weapons not to forget my proposed durability changes making it easier to negate that range in the open.

Battletech had 30 years to balance why didn't PGI use that knoweldge?

The only range in that there spreadsheet which isn't based off of the 30m per hex rule is the Clan ER Medium Laser because it would've synced to well with the Clan Large Pulse Laser and we all know what would happen if it had the same optimal range because we've already been through that.

Now if people really want to keep the weapon modules then you reduce the ranges by 10% and you can still keep them, I personally think they should remove all modules as they never existed in Battletech. Adv. Zoom should either be a standard feature or part of the Targeting Computer, which will not increase weapon ranges since all it did in Battletech was improve accuracy not range, obviously with MWO being point and click (no weapon drift, recoil etc.) that isn't possible, so having the critical chance multiplier it has and adding in the Adv. Zoom makes sense.

Edited by RaelM, 17 January 2016 - 05:33 AM.

#2 Der Hesse

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 545 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:32 AM

Do you all see how this new post comes up right when the other post about the very same thing gets swarmed by clan players saying that balance is fine. ^^

#3 Female Body Inspector

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 January 2016 - 07:54 AM

Actually I posted this in said thread and it's nothing to do with people saying balance is fine in said thread. This is my interpretation of how to balance MWO and it's a better job than the Quirk system could ever do. The reason I posted this is because it was overshadowed in the thread you're referring by the constant bickering and I believe it deserved to have light shined on it.

You're entitled to your opinion but that is the reason why I posted it, as for my belief on the balance, I don't believe the word balance implies to the current state of MWO. Sure a 12 man premade can roll all over someone regardless of the Mech they are using but if you were to compare the Clan Mechs vs the IS Mechs on a purely 1v1 basis you'll find that the 'Quirk Monsters' out perform even the best Clan Mech when built to the quirks.

Lets take a look at the various range quirks the IS have access to, several mechs can gain around 20-35% energy range. Note the word several. This means that they can either hold range or out range any Clan Mech using ERLL with Targeting Computer 7 if using ERLL itself, considering the Clanners are supposed to have a range advantage (says so on a loading message and it's lore accurate) that within itself is extremely unbalanced as it's 7 free tons/slots... 7 TONS.

Now lets move on to heat, most if not all IS Mechs get a heat quirk or two. This means that they can alpha a lot more than the Clan Mechs, now you can argue that the Clanners can boat weapons better which in some cases they can but the 'Quirk Monsters' for the most part can mount a similar if not better loadout in terms of alpha damage. So they can match alpha and alpha more, this means more burst dps.

Structure quirks are also prevalent and in some cases are completely absurd. I've seen a Blackjack out tank a Stalker, the combination of smaller hotbox in comparison to the Stalker, it's ridiculous structure quirks and improved speed make it a better choice hands down. It also isn't the only IS Mech to get structure quirks but it is one of the few that got absurdly high ones. I personally have nothing against the IS having more structure than the Clanners as is stated in my spreadsheet (did you even read it?).

Now the only hands down advantages the Clanners actually get at the moment is Speed (some IS Mechs are faster with certain engines but for the most part Clan have more speed) and the XL engines survivability which I think was a bad idea to begin with.

I've played both sides pre and post quirks. I didn't start playing CW as the Clans till the quirk system came out, I recently did a spell in the IS with my unit and in my opinion all of the above still stands. I do remember when the Clans were so over powered it wasn't funny but the quirk system was the wrong answer, when the Battletech community has had 30 years to balance why didn't PGI just use that knowledge? That's what you should be looking at Der Hesse and not the reason behind this thread. If you actually took the time to read that spreadsheet, which I'm guessing you didn't by your reply, you'll noticed that it's not biased to any 1 faction because I actually want a game that's balanced on a Mech to Mech basis.

#4 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:44 PM

- If you'd increase the internal structure of Clan mechs by 10%, and then increase IS structure by 10% of the resulting value, you end up with 110/121% of the base values. 11% advantage, even with 7,5% increased heat capacity, is absolutely nothing when compared to all the advantage Clan technology provides. Ignoring weapon differences, Clan mechs has Targeting Computers, which IS don't have, better ES and FF, smaller DHS etc. Disregarding these differences will just allow their users to manifest upon them, openly laughing at this worthless number difference. Special armor types are out of timeline and by their specifications are plain upgrades, that makes FF completely redundant, with no drawbacks.

- Removing Quirks will make most IS mech variants effectively the same. For example, Black Knights, Wolfhounds, Crabs, Grasshoppers, etc. Other will become so similar to their peers, that there will be little to no reason to choose one variant over another. Quirks originally were implemented to work around these issues.

- Modules are end-game items, and that's it. I personally don't see much problems with them, neither I see someone else having problems with them as of late. They're not mandatory to perform well in game.

- When a side torso with an XL engine in is destroyed, it doesn't mean the half of that Engine is lost. It means that a significant part of it is damaged. For IS XL engines it's the 1/4 of an engine damaged, which is critical, and for Clan refined, tighly-packed engines it's 1/5, which is not critical. Mech engine is a heavily shielded Fusion reactor, not a car engine.

- Unlocking ES and FF is the same as giving IS mechs Omni-Pods. If not, then it's plainly unfair.

- Same as with Jump-Jets, it is more logical to make MASC more useful, rather than allowing to ditch it out. An invalid solution for a simple problem.

- Nerfing Artemis does not gets me. What the reason? What the purpose? Artemis works only when the user directly sees the target, so it has nothing to do with teamwork you seem trying to promote to begin with.

- Same with BAP. What the point? Is there's suddenly hundreds of LRM boats using BAP? In my experience, it's the rare deterministic spotters who sometimes uses BAP, but LRM boats are most of the time try to stay out of direct vision from potential targets.

- Gauss changes also doesnt make sense. No arguments for it. Simply reducing the reloading time a bit will make it fine, even though it is fine for it's intended role as it is now.

- Clan ACs are efficient, they just require better fire control. This is the price for lower tonnage/space requirements.

- I'm positive that Ghost Heat should be removed, yet you do not suggest anything, that would replace it's role in maintaining reasonable alpha. You also neglect the fact, that IS Large lasers and Clan Large Lasers are not equal, which is why they do not share the same GH treatment in the first place.

- Mech design, map production and engine/data management has nothing to do with one-another. Thus, there's no reason to pause one, because it wont change anything in regards to other development aspects. It's all done by different people, who need to get paid, so that they can manage their real lives, and won't just stand down because someone would assume their work is detrimental to work of other team members. It's ridiculous.

After that comes a shitload of custom changes and new items, that are out of timeline, none of which are justified for by any means. All of these things will finish up the balancing for good, as too many new variables will be included. Whole new useless weapon categories will be implemented, and everything will revolve around poke-wars with long-range weapons by different IS and Clan XL-equipped mechs. Clan mech's equipment/weapon weight, profiles and speeds, with IS mechs having nothing to answer with, again will make them a superior side.

There's just so much data to analyze, that the spreadsheet as a whole turns from a suggestion into a bizzare wet dream wish-list, with nothing in it to suggest, that the result of colossal work required to implement its contents, has any chance to improve the game and would not turn it into an abysmal mish-mash of whatever Battletech content can be found.

Even by our current state, it is clear that MWO cannot be balanced by Battletech tabletop standards, thus simply throwing all the weapons and equipment found on Sarna into a random pile nad trying to stitch it together with random changes and good intentions will achieve nothing, but will bring MWO into the state, where PGI no longer has the capacity to make any decisions with predictable results.

#5 Female Body Inspector

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 January 2016 - 07:59 PM

View PostDivineEvil, on 17 January 2016 - 04:44 PM, said:

If you'd increase the internal structure of Clan mechs by 10%, and then increase IS structure by 10% of the resulting value, you end up with 110/121% of the base values. 11% advantage, even with 7,5% increased heat capacity, is absolutely nothing when compared to all the advantage Clan technology provides. Ignoring weapon differences, Clan mechs has Targeting Computers, which IS don't have, better ES and FF, smaller DHS etc.

Firstly thanks for actually reading the spreadsheet.

In regards to the TC, I stated that should be for both sides as the IS also had them (a little out of time but hey this is for balance) but it should only increase crit chance and perhaps add adv zoom (I have a dislike for modules).

I never mentioned giving the Clans better FF or ES, IMO they should be the same for both factions for balance sake which is something I failed to mention in the spreadsheet so thank you for noticing that. I'll add that in. AS for the DHS, I noticed I put 2 instead of 1.5, that was an error on my part because I typed all that up while drunk but that's why you post these things online so people can point this stuff out.

Special armor types are out of timeline and by their specifications are plain upgrades, that makes FF completely redundant, with no drawbacks.

Out of time, yes but not plain upgrades. Reactive is stronger vs ballistics/explosive (missiles etc) but weaker vs energy. Reflective is the opposite, stronger vs energy but weaker vs ballistics/explosive (missiles etc). FF would be as it is now, lighter but takes up more slots. Standard would be as it is now. Reactive and Reflective would weigh more but if you know the enemy favours energy weapons you can load up on reflective and be able to take a lot more damage from laser boats giving you an advantage vice versa for reactive.

Removing Quirks will make most IS mech variants effectively the same. For example, Black Knights, Wolfhounds, Crabs, Grasshoppers, etc. Other will become so similar to their peers, that there will be little to no reason to choose one variant over another. Quirks originally were implemented to work around these issues.

The way to solve this is for PGI to rework the hardpoints. If they added reactive and reflective it would make boating less favourable giving Mechs that don't favour a specific weapon type more attractive. Another thing they could do is change the effective tonnage for those Mechs opening up more options and with the added weapon systems I proposed you could easily find a use for any Mech.

Same as with Jump-Jets, it is more logical to make MASC more useful, rather than allowing to ditch it out. An invalid solution for a simple problem.

You misunderstood what I was aiming at with MASC, every Mech should be able to mount it. This opens up options for the likes of the DWF or ATL and being able to drop it opens up options for the EXC, those are but a few examples. If they unlocked MASC you could put it on any Mech that tickled your fancies.

Nerfing Artemis does not gets me. What the reason? What the purpose? Artemis works only when the user directly sees the target, so it has nothing to do with teamwork you seem trying to promote to begin with.

Artemis shouldn't improve target lock speed as its purpose is to improve missile accuracy, if I had it my way missiles would only be able to track a target that's TAG'd or NARC (as they did in lore, missiles were "dumb") but you know as well as I do that the missile users would whine. Even without Artemis, missile lock speed is more than fast enough. By moving this "perk" to the TAG and NARC (they still keep their accuracy buff) it promotes team work by making it worthwhile to actually carry either one. That way if a target is affected by either or both TAG and NARC all missile boats would gain a lock on speed decrease. This forces people to play a missile boat the right way ( getting own locks).

For example;

Player A is using an Atlas, he has the fairly standard brawl build of 1 AC20, SRM's and ML, he has decided he'll sacrifice (team work) an SRM for a NARC or a ML for a TAG. Player B is in a Catapult and thanks to Player A can now rain missiles down on whoever Player A "designates" (team work).

or

Player A is in a Mad Dog, he has LRM's and a TAG. He can now go out and get his own locks and in the process (thanks to TAG) speed up his lock time and that of every other missile boat on his team.

Obviously this would benefit group play more than solo as you can coordinate who drops in what but it is a needed nerf for LRM's. In quick play, partly thanks to the influx of steam users, we have an abundance of fast locking LRM boats. By adding this nerf it would reduce the amount of time needed for a missile lock, which means less spam and more coordination.

Same with BAP. What the point? Is there's suddenly hundreds of LRM boats using BAP? In my experience, it's the rare deterministic spotters who sometimes uses BAP, but LRM boats are most of the time try to stay out of direct vision from potential targets.

Anyone who plays a missile boat "correctly" will have BAP and get his/her own locks. When I use a missile boat when I'm messing around in quick play I always have a BAP, TAG and grab my own locks. Why? Artemis, BAP and TAG is a very nasty combo. You have accuracy buff from Artemis and TAG as well as lock speed buff from Artemis and BAP.

BAP was strictly for detection of camouflaged or shut down Mechs. So having it act as a counter to ECM as well as detecting shut down mechs makes the only sense to me.

Gauss changes also doesnt make sense. No arguments for it. Simply reducing the reloading time a bit will make it fine, even though it is fine for it's intended role as it is now.

I personally have no gripe with current gauss mechanics, that particular one was thrown in there because I've heard a lot of people (Clan and IS) complain about the difficulty of using gauss rifles. By making the charge constant it makes it easier for the people who struggle to use the gauss yet it also removes the ability for ammo conservation. Adding a heat penalty to offset the ease of use with that mechanic seemed logical.

Clan ACs are efficient, they just require better fire control. This is the price for lower tonnage/space requirements.

I can see where you're coming from on this one, the Clan AC's are lighter. I wouldn't say they are more efficient though, I'd rather have more weight and the ability to deal all my damage on 1 shot than less weight and spread out.

So an amendment in my spreadsheet will be to tone down the shots on Clan AC's to 2 from 4 so the IS still have the efficiency per shot over the Clans but the Clans aren't as heavily penalized for their lighter weight AC's.

The reasoning for 2 is as follows;

IS AC 20 does 20 damage per shell. Clan UAC 20 does 5 per shell x 4. At the range these weapons are effective it is difficult to land all 4 shots on a UAC 20 all in the same spot, an IS AC 20 however can land all the damage in 1 spot. Quirks aside and IS AC 20 will always win in a brawl vs a UAC 20 on the grounds that it's guaranteed damage vs probable damage. I believe being penalized to 2 shots is more than enough.

I'm positive that Ghost Heat should be removed, yet you do not suggest anything, that would replace it's role in maintaining reasonable alpha. You also neglect the fact, that IS Large lasers and Clan Large Lasers are not equal, which is why they do not share the same GH treatment in the first place.

I personally don't believe anything needs putting in to replace it. With the correction I made to the Clan DHS to -1.5, the 7.5% greater heat cap for IS and the weapons/ranges I'm suggesting it's not needed. As for keeping ghost heat and making it equal, again with my proposed changes they don't need to be different. IS ERLL vs Clan ERLL in my spreadsheet is 840m vs 900m, that's not a big difference in range so different ghost heat mechanics for the factions isn't needed.

Mech design, map production and engine/data management has nothing to do with one-another. Thus, there's no reason to pause one, because it wont change anything in regards to other development aspects. It's all done by different people, who need to get paid, so that they can manage their real lives, and won't just stand down because someone would assume their work is detrimental to work of other team members. It's ridiculous.

If all of PGI's development team sat down to hash out the balance we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I manage an IT Department of 47 people who look after 12 server farms and 4 buildings worth of network infrastructure and even I have to sit down and do data entry every now and again so expecting modelers, texturers etc to do the same is not ridiculous.

After that comes a shitload of custom changes and new items, that are out of timeline, none of which are justified for by any means. All of these things will finish up the balancing for good, as too many new variables will be included. Whole new useless weapon categories will be implemented, and everything will revolve around poke-wars with long-range weapons by different IS and Clan XL-equipped mechs. Clan mech's equipment/weapon weight, profiles and speeds, with IS mechs having nothing to answer with, again will make them a superior side.

The range difference isn't big. IS profiles are for the most part better at torso twisting (humanoid profiles means arms can block shots meant for torso's) and Clan Mechs have the fuselage design which makes hitting the CT easy. I proposed giving the IS extra durability. A Mech moves faster forwards than it does backwards, if the Clan Mech needs to fall back to get more range they have 2 choices, retreat slowly or turn and get shot in the back. IS Mechs are more than fast enough to make up the 60m optimal difference I proposed between the 2 ERLL.

In my proposed changes/additions you'll see that the IS has an answer to the Clans, diversity. Being out ranged by ERLL? Use a Light Gauss. Need to get in close and deal damage? Use that humanoid profile with an XL and get in there with Pulse lasers, large calibre AC's or SRM/MRM's.

Poke-Wars with long range weapons is what we have now, the only problem is there's only 1 side participating... the IS. As I've mentioned previously on the forums, any IS Mech with an energy range quirk >= 20% has the equivalent range of a Clan ERLL with Targeting Computer 7 or greater. That means any IS Mech with an energy range quirk >=20% is getting AT LEAST 7 free tons/slots.

#6 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 18 January 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostRaelM, on 17 January 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

Firstly thanks for actually reading the spreadsheet.

In regards to the TC, I stated that should be for both sides as the IS also had them (a little out of time but hey this is for balance) but it should only increase crit chance and perhaps add adv zoom (I have a dislike for modules).
As for many latter arguments, your idea of providing balance comes too steeply against the technical Battletech basis, which PGI still tries to maintain. It's true, that they've neglected the lore components, that led to the unequality of one player over another, but they keep the specific 3052 timeline in order to maintain the order in development process.

It's a big issue, that I take over your suggestions, that together with lore it would require the forsaking of timeline and technical basis as well, i.e. neglecting and misfiguring the very nature of canonical Battlemechs. A this point we're talking about making a completely separate game, which indeed would be much easier, but is not the case in our situation.

Another big issue here, is that you're rounding up the differences to a minimum, while making a lot of things the same, rather than equal. This is what the majority of forum-dwelling population speaks for, but it is not a productive way of balancing. Each time you're making something the same for both parties, you're removing a part of a reason for another party to exist. Different factions and principles is a common choice scheme for lots and lots of games of different genres. There's nothing exotic about it. The problem with IS/Clan balance were not that they were too different, but just weren't equal. Now they're extremely close to being equal, but the sacrifices and methods applied to achieve this state are all wrong.

This does mean, that another way to counter the Clantech advantage is required, rather than using quirks. But it does not means, there's no such way possible, and we just have to reduce the differences to a minimum possible degree. Combining all the suggestions in your spreadsheet, that is what you proclaim is has to be done.

When you're making a balance suggestion, you should not try to accomodate all the particular issues. What you need to do is to imagine a final goal, where everything is as close to balance as possible. When you're shooting for each issue separately, there's a great chance of the final picture being nothing like what you'd expect.

Finally, there's a balance involved into everything in our life. That includes the freedom of choice. There's too little choice and too much choice. Your suggestions are bringing in too much choice - same mechs with reworked hardpoints, all the equipment, upgrades, weapons, ammo types, etc. While some of your suggestions seem to accomodate for new players, giving so much choice for them is highly detrimental. Even now people are asking what mechs to buy and how to build them, but with all these new features and freedoms to do this and that, I imagine, even most experienced players will be puzzled what do with all of it.

Of course over time some specific popular trends will arise (a.k.a. Meta-game), and a majority of new equipment will be brushed off and will be abandoned. For new players they would remain equally unknown, and there would be not even slight indication of what a mech is good for and which weapons would work better for one or another. The reason why MW weapon pool is working so well, is that there's limitations to each type of a weapon, which makes them significantly different from one-another, which also makes mechs perform different role while using them. Rounding the values and bringing new alternatives reduces that variability.

Artemis shouldn't improve target lock speed as its purpose is to improve missile accuracy, if I had it my way missiles would only be able to track a target that's TAG'd or NARC (as they did in lore, missiles were "dumb") but you know as well as I do that the missile users would whine. Even without Artemis, missile lock speed is more than fast enough. By moving this "perk" to the TAG and NARC (they still keep their accuracy buff) it promotes team work by making it worthwhile to actually carry either one. That way if a target is affected by either or both TAG and NARC all missile boats would gain a lock on speed decrease. This forces people to play a missile boat the right way ( getting own locks).
Artemis upgrade is only beneficial when targeting a mech in direct visibility. It's an upgrade, that allows the usage of LRMs for direct combat. That includes both target lock speed and accucary. Indirect LRM fire does not benefit from Artemis in any degree. It was never the right way for LRM boat to acquire it's own locks. Back by the time-line it was a necessity due to the rarity of C3-network during lostech Succession Wars era.

And no, in lore LRMs not only were not dumb, they were self-guided, which means they were capable of tracking their target without an outside assistance the moment they were armed. So in MWO, by losing the target without a consistent lock-on, they're actually nerfed. Aside from that, by lore once again, TAG and NARC are rarely mounted on LRM mechs themselves - it was the role of specific units to mark targets closer to the front-line, so that Artillery could be used.

The reason why LRMs are abused, is due to the ~50% increase to it's maximum range. This same increase is what stands in a way for making them more reliable, and their low reliability is what makes them seen as subpar weapons by competetive players like me.

I personally have no gripe with current gauss mechanics, that particular one was thrown in there because I've heard a lot of people (Clan and IS) complain about the difficulty of using gauss rifles. By making the charge constant it makes it easier for the people who struggle to use the gauss yet it also removes the ability for ammo conservation. Adding a heat penalty to offset the ease of use with that mechanic seemed logical.
This appeal is redundant. People complain about anything, that differs from conventional shooter's point-and-click, instant-hit firearm mechanics. They complain about Gauss, because you need to hold the button for 0,5 seconds, complain about ballistics and PPCs for the need of leading a target, complain about Clan ACs because you also need to track the moving target during burst-fire, complain about SRMs because they don't always hit where they want them to, etc. In the end, the only difficulty with any weapons in MWO is that you need to practice using them to make them work.

Gauss charge-up mechanic is completely fine. It's a perfect drawback for the lack of heat, just as it's fragility and explosiveness are drawbacks for it's extreme range and high velocity.

IS AC 20 does 20 damage per shell. Clan UAC 20 does 5 per shell x 4. At the range these weapons are effective it is difficult to land all 4 shots on a UAC 20 all in the same spot, an IS AC 20 however can land all the damage in 1 spot. Quirks aside and IS AC 20 will always win in a brawl vs a UAC 20 on the grounds that it's guaranteed damage vs probable damage. I believe being penalized to 2 shots is more than enough.
When shooting an AC/20, there's a skill-based probability that you'd hit with 20 damage, or miss. When shooting an C-UAC/20, there's a skill-based probability of hitting anywhere from 0 to 4 of 5 damage shells. So it's all comes down to how well you're using a weapon - with a short burst duration, it's not that hard to hit a single location, as many prefer to believe, moreso for lower C-UAC calibers.

To put it into a proper perspective, an C-UAC20 is a weapon, that weights as much as IS AC/10, while having roughly 80% chance to output the damage twice as much as IS AC/20, with higher optimal range. The burst-fire mechanic seems very miscallenous when compared to these differences in performance. Your suggested changes only make that mechanic even less relevant, ignoring the fact, that otherwise Clan ACs are clearly superior by all considerations. It might seem logical in a light of you also promoting all the BT weapons to be implemented, but which I myself would never support.

I personally don't believe anything needs putting in to replace it. With the correction I made to the Clan DHS to -1.5, the 7.5% greater heat cap for IS and the weapons/ranges I'm suggesting it's not needed. As for keeping ghost heat and making it equal, again with my proposed changes they don't need to be different. IS ERLL vs Clan ERLL in my spreadsheet is 840m vs 900m, that's not a big difference in range so different ghost heat mechanics for the factions isn't needed.
It has nothing to do with range, but with damage output of C-ERLLs. And Ghost-Heat issue has nothing to do with heat-sinks, but with 30 base heat capacity units, that are built into each mech independently. For example, such system will allow any mech on IS side with sufficient tonnage to output a 5xPPC alpha-strike without overheating, while Clans would likely respond with 4xUAC/20 extermination bursts. If there's no changes accounting for such possibilities, players will once again complain for the return of Ghost Heat.

If all of PGI's development team sat down to hash out the balance we wouldn't be having this conversation right now. I manage an IT Department of 47 people who look after 12 server farms and 4 buildings worth of network infrastructure and even I have to sit down and do data entry every now and again so expecting modelers, texturers etc to do the same is not ridiculous.
This does not means, that the influx of game content has to stop. It does seems weird for PGI to arrive to some balance solutions, but it's most likely due to the lack of experience in that department and very limited time they spend playing their own game to acquire a proper perspective. Thus, they might need more experienced game designers to work together with Paul, or some dedicated live-server testers, that would share their independent opinions with the staff, or to maintain a more open discussion platform with extensive polling, or whatever it might be.

Nevertheless, it has nothing to do with mech design. New mechs are high-quality content, which provides PGI with relatively stable income, and there's plenty more to add even in current time-line framework. They're not detrimental to game balance in any way. What values and properties are placed upon these mechs is what affects balance, but again, it has nothing to do with mechs themselves. As chief IT manager, you are aware of the workflow in a department you maintain. An artist or a modeller most likely will not be able to provide an resourceful input on balance, which he/she's not involved with, and certainly not at expense of his own workflow progress.

In my proposed changes/additions you'll see that the IS has an answer to the Clans, diversity. Being out ranged by ERLL? Use a Light Gauss. Need to get in close and deal damage? Use that humanoid profile with an XL and get in there with Pulse lasers, large calibre AC's or SRM/MRM's.
IS has always had that diversity. Providing everyone with everything does not change anything in that regard. Each and every new weapon has to be introduced separately in order to bring it into it's own game-play facet. Otherwise you're implementing a new weapon, that would replace another, or you're just implementing a useless weapon.

Poke-Wars with long range weapons is what we have now, the only problem is there's only 1 side participating... the IS. As I've mentioned previously on the forums, any IS Mech with an energy range quirk >= 20% has the equivalent range of a Clan ERLL with Targeting Computer 7 or greater. That means any IS Mech with an energy range quirk >=20% is getting AT LEAST 7 free tons/slots.
Not really. There's mechs durable enough to effectively brawl and tank damage. There's mechs mobile enough to engage in mid-range skirmishes. Just because in one game-mode on one map, where long-range is more convenient, and people prefer some of those mechs, does not mean they're unbeatable. This is a fabula, which general public chooses to believe and follow (the meta). It doesnt mean, that conventional Gauss with it's PPFLD cannot beat ERLLs with it's doubled damage falloff, it doesn't mean that one or two mechs with Jump-Jets cannot jump over the gate and open it, and it doesnt means, that ERLL is a best weapon unconditionally. Issues with ERLLs and other laser weapons are originating from completely different sources.

The solution to poke-wars is to increase general TTK, to apply higher limitations on some weapons and to rework the quirk system for the role it was intended to. Making IS and Clans marginally equal on all fronts would not migitate poke-wars issue, it will just allow everyone on every mech to do it with any weapon class. Finally, some issues will remain unresolved, such as omni-pod variability.

----

In summary, your suggestions are trying to attribute for particular issues, but they do not follow a certain end-goal state, while the plethora of new variables and choices completely removes the possibility to predict the outcome. Most of them neglect the course, that PGI were following thus far, and also undermine the fundamental values and content already present, which holds MWO in relevance to Battletech universe from theoretical standpoint. I can easily argue against specific points made in regards to particular changes on top of the spreadsheet, which I did, but the mere look at the weapon/equipment table given afterwards instantly drives me to completely ditch the entire thing. Which is unfortunately, by my judgement, would be a valid response from PGI.

Edited by DivineEvil, 18 January 2016 - 08:17 AM.

#7 Female Body Inspector

• PipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • Mercenary Rank 4
  • 26 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 18 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

As for many latter arguments, your idea of providing balance comes too steeply against the technical Battletech basis, which PGI still tries to maintain. It's true, that they've neglected the lore components, that led to the unequality of one player over another, but they keep the specific 3052 timeline in order to maintain the order in development process.

It's a big issue, that I take over your suggestions, that together with lore it would require the forsaking of timeline and technical basis as well, i.e. neglecting and misfiguring the very nature of canonical Battlemechs. A this point we're talking about making a completely separate game, which indeed would be much easier, but is not the case in our situation.

I see where you're coming from but by implementing the weapons early you make balancing easier because in BT the IS had counters to Clan tech. There wouldn't be much need for quirks, but if PGI truly wanted to stick to the feel of BT and be canonically accurate they would've introduced 12 IS vs 10 Clan matches in CW (I can't remember who did it but someone ran the numbers and found that this would work in MWO, 9/10 times IS would win due to sheer numbers) and kept Clan tech at its superiority, instead they went bonkers with the quirk system and did an entire 180 to satisfy the IS fan base. That's the reason the game is in its current state of imbalance (IS superiority after Clan nerf and quirk introduction), IS player base is larger than the Clans and as a consequence if they complain about XYZ, then XYZ will get nerfed.

Another big issue here, is that you're rounding up the differences to a minimum, while making a lot of things the same, rather than equal. This is what the majority of forum-dwelling population speaks for, but it is not a productive way of balancing. Each time you're making something the same for both parties, you're removing a part of a reason for another party to exist. Different factions and principles is a common choice scheme for lots and lots of games of different genres. There's nothing exotic about it. The problem with IS/Clan balance were not that they were too different, but just weren't equal. Now they're extremely close to being equal, but the sacrifices and methods applied to achieve this state are all wrong.

This does mean, that another way to counter the Clantech advantage is required, rather than using quirks. But it does not means, there's no such way possible, and we just have to reduce the differences to a minimum possible degree. Combining all the suggestions in your spreadsheet, that is what you suggest has to be done.

When you're making a balance suggestion, you should not try to accomodate all the particular issues. What you need to do is to imagine a final goal, where everything is as close to balance as possible. When you're shooting for each issue separately, there's a great chance of the final picture being nothing like what you'd expect.

The only things I called for being equal were FF, ES, XL engine destruction and giving both factions the TC (IS did get it eventually anyway). As for weapons, the aren't the same nor are they equal (same and equal are not congruent terms). I added weapons and equipment that only the IS has access to, same with the Clans. The stats aren't equal either, this adds diversity between the factions. If all the stats were the same we might as well just have the 5th Succession Wars.

I have a good picture of what these balance changes would do to the game and in my opinion it would make it feel more like Mechwarrior rather than 'Big Stompy Robots'. As it stands right now the game is just a generic 'Big Stompy Robots' game using Battletech rights, it doesn't feel like I'm in a war zone and that's mainly down to the current balance state. CW games aren't as close as they should be in terms of engagement ranges, on the tabletop there wasn't that much of a hex difference between the IS and the Clan yet in the game right now Clans are out ranged by a fair margin.

Finally, there's a balance involved into everything in our life. That includes the freedom of choice. There's too little choice and too much choice. Your suggestions are bringing in too much choice - same mechs with reworked hardpoints, all the equipment, upgrades, weapons, ammo types, etc. While some of your suggestions seem to accomodate for new players, giving so much choice for them is highly detrimental. Even now people are asking what mechs to buy and how to build them, but with all these new features and freedoms to do this and that, I imagine, even most experienced players will be puzzled what do with all of it.

Of course over time some specific popular trends will arise (a.k.a. Meta-game), and a majority of new equipment will be brushed off and will be abandoned. For new players they would remain equally unknown, and there would be not even slight indication of what a mech is good for and which weapons would work better for one or another.

I've played the table top and every mechwarrior/commander game and a plethora of weapons and equipment to choose from is what made them so great. We currently have weapons that aren't used as much but that's due more to game bugs (PPC) than anything. I use all the weapons on the Clan side on my Mechs, with the exception of standard AC's because they shouldn't be in the game. I wouldn't stop using UAC 5's just because I had access to RAC 5's nor would I neglect various laser weapons in favour of heavy lasers.

There's always going to be weapons better for certain situations but that's the whole point about warfare, there is no jack of all trades weapon, I should know I did 3 tours, 1 in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan. I never once used my L115A3 or my AS-50 (had to buy this myself because the british government is cheap, it's still tucked away at sandhurst Posted Image ) at any range inside 1km instead I used my L129A1.

The same goes for Mechwarrior, you're not going to use an ERLL specifically for brawling as that would be inefficient. Just like you're not going to use an AC 10 round for sniping, for the same reason. Adding in more weapons gives people more choice to make more efficient loadouts, lets take a look at IS X-Pulse lasers. X-Pulse have more range than standard Pulse Lasers but generate more heat, now the big question is, is that range worth the extra heat for the build your making? Or would a standard Large Laser do the trick more efficiently? Albeit making you more prone to being shot back while waiting for the burn time to end.

Adding extra weapons and equipment doesn't make things more confusing if one is willing to take the time to crunch the numbers. At the end of the day, Battletech is a numbers game, Mechwarrior is just a platform for you to take those numbers and shove them up another Mechs exhaust pipe... violently Posted Image

Artemis upgrade is only beneficial when targeting a mech in direct visibility. It's an upgrade, that allows the usage of LRMs for direct combat. That includes both target lock speed and accucary. Indirect LRM fire does not benefit from Artemis in any degree. It was never the right way for LRM boat to acquire it's own locks. Back by the time-line it was a necessity due to the rarity of C3-network during lostech Succession Wars era.

And no, in lore LRMs not only were not dumb, they were self-guided, which means they were capable of tracking their target without an outside assistance the moment they were armed. So in MWO, by losing the target without a consistent lock-on, they're actually nerfed. Aside from that, by lore once again, TAG and NARC are rarely mounted on LRM mechs themselves - it was the role of specific units to mark targets closer to the front-line, so that Artillery could be used.

The reason why LRMs are abused, is due to the ~50% increase to it's maximum range. This same increase is what stands in a way for making them more reliable, and their low reliability is what makes them seen as subpar weapons by competetive players like me.

My proposed change is that Artemis always improves accuracy regardless of sight but it doesn't improve lock time. That's what TAG and NARC are for. Artemis was a guidance system not a sensor network or sensor aide.

I remember when playing BT I had to aim for the HEX not the actual mech in question, now when NARC came into play it was a different story because the missiles went for the NARC improving to hit chance. I also used to equip my Catapults with TAG because it also improved to hit chance because missiles are considered smart track weapons but to actually have them smart track you had to have visual line of sight or someone using TAG/NARC.

That's all I was suggesting with Artemis, TAG and NARC. To create a symbiotic relationship between the 3.

When shooting an AC/20, there's a skill-based probability that you'd hit with 20 damage, or miss. When shooting an C-UAC/20, there's a skill-based probability of hitting anywhere from 0 to 4 of 5 damage shells. So it's all comes down to how well you're using a weapon - with a short burst duration, it's not that hard to hit a single location, as many prefer to believe, moreso for lower C-UAC calibers.

To put it into a proper perspective, an C-UAC20 is a weapon, that weights as much as IS AC/10, while having roughly 80% chance to output the damage twice as much as IS AC/20, with higher optimal range. The burst-fire mechanic seems very miscallenous when compared to these differences in performance. Your suggested changes only make that mechanic even less relevant, ignoring the fact, that otherwise Clan ACs are clearly superior by all considerations. It might seem logical in a light of you also promoting all the BT weapons to be implemented, but which I myself would never support.

I get your point but that is when considering that the IS doesn't have access to their own UAC 20. My proposed change was for the addition of IS UAC's. If you give the IS the UAC 20 then your point is mute, having it at 2 projectiles rather than 4 is more than ample of a nerf for the UAC's if the IS stays at 1. It takes less skill to fire 1 round than it does to maintain 4 on target, it also opens you up for return fire a lot more making the 1 round safer and more efficient than the 4.

It has nothing to do with range, but with damage output of C-ERLLs. And Ghost-Heat issue has nothing to do with heat-sinks, but with 30 base heat capacity units, that are built into each mech independently. For example, such system will allow any mech on IS side with sufficient tonnage to output a 5xPPC alpha-strike without overheating, while Clans would likely respond with 4xUAC/20 extermination bursts. If there's no changes accounting for such possibilities, players will once again complain for the return of Ghost Heat.

If you look at the spreadsheet you'll noticed that I said "Either get rid of Ghost Heat or make it identical for both IS and Clan. If IS can fire 3 Large Lasers without Ghost Heat then so should the Clans".

This was my way of saying to PGI, make the Ghost Heat system identical, I'd rather it stay in place to combat the situation you just described of 5xPPC etc.

Penalizing a faction by giving the other faction the ability to fire more often with more alpha with a specific weapon type is a little harsh. For example currently 3 IS ERLL = 27 damage, 2 Clan ERLL = 22. The Clans can use 3 ERLL for 33 damage but we pay a heavy price in heat and since we have worse heat management than IS thanks to Quirks and the last DHS nefr (which made it almost the same as a standard when it should be right in the middle). If it was up to me Large Lasers would be capped at 2 giving the IS with my changes 16 and the Clan 20. IS would have shorter burn time, Clan longer range and unlike PGI's current max range mechanic mine would have a sharper fall off for lasers meaning the range difference isn't as prevalent as it is in the current state of the game.

This does not means, that the influx of game content has to stop. It does seems weird for PGI to arrive to some balance solutions, but it's most likely due to the lack of experience in that department and very limited time they spend playing their own game to acquire a proper perspective. Thus, they might need more experienced game designers to work together with Paul, or some dedicated live-server testers, that would share their independent opinions with the staff, or to maintain a more open discussion platform with extensive polling, or whatever it might be.

Nevertheless, it has nothing to do with mech design. New mechs are high-quality content, which provides PGI with relatively stable income, and there's plenty more to add even in current time-line framework. They're not detrimental to game balance in any way. What values and properties are placed upon these mechs is what affects balance, but again, it has nothing to do with mechs themselves. As chief IT manager, you are aware of the workflow in a department you maintain. An artist or a modeller most likely will not be able to provide an resourceful input on balance, which he/she's not involved with, and certainly not at expense of his own workflow progress

Mechs are their income yes, that's why I suggested that Hero Mechs keep quirks but tone them down a lot while removing the quirks off all standard variants. This secures a source of income. How to balance this? Improve hard points on standard mechs to compensate.

The Mechs themselves aren't detrimental to balance, the quirks they throw onto them are. If they can hash out the balance and still provide new content then that would be great but I personally lack any confidence in this notion.

I agree that PGI doesn't spend enough time playing the game, they look at statistics during major events like Tukkayyid which is a very bad idea since the big merc units like -MS- and 228 etc dictate those events. Which brings back the point I made previously on the forums that PGI needs to balance it on a Mech vs Mech, Weapon vs Weapon, Equipment vs Equipment basis and not on a Player Skill basis.

Having a dedicated tester player base that's split EQUALLY among IS and Clan would be the best bet, that way when 1 side whines it isn't a majority like we have now.

Open discussions would be a bad idea due to the player base split being majority IS, any vote would be in favour of IS and not be impartial.

IS has always had that diversity. Providing everyone with everything does not change anything in that regard. Each and every new weapon has to be introduced separately in order to bring it into it's own game-play facet. Otherwise you're implementing a new weapon, that would replace another, or you're just implementing a useless weapon.

Already covered this above so I'll copy paste it.

I've played the table top and every mechwarrior/commander game and a plethora of weapons and equipment to choose from is what made them so great. We currently have weapons that aren't used as much but that's due more to game bugs (PPC) than anything. I use all the weapons on the Clan side on my Mechs, with the exception of standard AC's because they shouldn't be in the game. I wouldn't stop using UAC 5's just because I had access to RAC 5's nor would I neglect various laser weapons in favour of heavy lasers.

There's always going to be weapons better for certain situations but that's the whole point about warfare, there is no jack of all trades weapon, I should know I did 3 tours, 1 in Iraq and 2 in Afghanistan. I never once used my L115A3 or my AS-50 (had to buy this myself because the british government is cheap, it's still tucked away at sandhurst Posted Image ) at any range inside 1km instead I used my L129A1.

The same goes for Mechwarrior, you're not going to use an ERLL specifically for brawling as that would be inefficient. Just like you're not going to use an AC 10 round for sniping, for the same reason. Adding in more weapons gives people more choice to make more efficient loadouts, lets take a look at IS X-Pulse lasers. X-Pulse have more range than standard Pulse Lasers but generate more heat, now the big question is, is that range worth the extra heat for the build your making? Or would a standard Large Laser do the trick more efficiently? Albeit making you more prone to being shot back while waiting for the burn time to end.

Adding extra weapons and equipment doesn't make things more confusing if one is willing to take the time to crunch the numbers. At the end of the day, Battletech is a numbers game, Mechwarrior is just a platform for you to take those numbers and shove them up another Mechs exhaust pipe... violently Posted Image .

Not really. There's mechs durable enough to effectively brawl and tank damage. There's mechs mobile enough to engage in mid-range skirmishes. Just because in one game-mode on one map, where long-range is more convenient, and people prefer some of those mechs, does not mean they're unbeatable. This is a fabula, which general public chooses to believe and follow (the meta). It doesnt mean, that conventional Gauss with it's PPFLD cannot beat ERLLs with it's doubled damage falloff, it doesn't mean that one or two mechs with Jump-Jets cannot jump over the gate and open it, and it doesnt means, that ERLL is a best weapon unconditionally. Issues with ERLLs and other laser weapons are originating from completely different sources.

Durability, perhaps on the IS side thanks to structure quirks but on the Clan side we don't have the luxury of quirks to the degree the IS gets. For example the little Atlas aka Blackjack that gets +28 CT structure, it's fast, can take a beating and so yes can engage in both brawling and skirmishing effectively.

Clan do have mobility so yes we can skirmish but not as effectively as the IS due to structure quirks (durability) and heat quirks which gives IS the burst DPS advantage by being able to fire off more Alpha's. When skirmishing the alpha strike is king as you want to get in, fire off an alpha or 2 and then survive, the IS excels in this capacity with quirks.

I used ERLL's as an example, the IS also have PPC quirks, Ballistic quirks and Missile quirks that give them an advantage over the Clans but the energy range quirk is by far your biggest asset at the moment. Clans get a few of the aforementioned quirks but not to the degree the IS get.

ERLL spam can be countered but if you have to advance through a choke point and you have 12 ERLL spammers firing 2-3 each by the time you get into cover pretty much everyone on your team is already down by 20%. If the IS built their Mechs correctly and for the sake of argument they did, then you have to face relatively fresh mechs than can do at least 40 points of pinpoint alpha at brawling range while being down 20% and having less structure than your opponent. Not particularly fair, do able don't get me wrong but not fair nonetheless.

In summary, your suggestions are trying to attribute for particular issues, but they do not follow a certain end-goal state, while the plethora of new variables and choices completely removes the possibility to predict the outcome. Most of them neglect the course, that PGI were following thus far, and also undermine the fundamental values and content already present, which holds MWO in relevance to Battletech universe from theoretical standpoint. I can easily argue against specific points made in regards to particular changes on top of the spreadsheet, which I did, but the mere look at the weapon/equipment table given afterwards instantly drives me to completely ditch the entire thing. Which is unfortunately, by my judgement, would be a valid response from PGI.

I disagree with this statement, the end goal is to have a game that maintains individuality of the factions but keeps them on a relatively balanced state. Now I'm not saying my spreadsheet is the word of "GOD", it can be improved upon and that's why I posted it, I accept all criticism as long as it's constructive, like yours and unlike Der Hesse's.

As stated above the weapons provide a more rounded balance with sharper laser fall off than is currently in the game and provides the Clans with the longer range they should have while not putting the IS on a major back foot like is happening at the moment with the Clans.

Yes more variables means harder to predict future outcomes but that's why PGI has a test server, they could quite easily implement these changes on the test server and get feedback from there. Dismissing it simply because it goes against the "time frame" is sheer folly when you consider that it would solve a lot of the imbalance that's currently in the game. They'll end up in the game eventually, why not put them in now and save a lot of ball ache?

Edited by RaelM, 18 January 2016 - 10:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users